European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-10-2016, 11:53 PM   #1
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Eisenmann Downpipes Review

I decided to do this short review to hopefully help others who are considering installing the Eisnemann downpipes on an otherwise stock exhaust. When I was looking to purchase the Eisenmann donwpipes, I couldn't find a video showing the sound of the Eisnemann downpipes with stock exhaust so hopefully you find this helpful.

Product quality:
The downpipes seem very well constructed with nice welds and tightly wrapped Heat Wrap around them. The downpipes are 2.5" for the most part, which to me was a surprise as I assumed they would be 3" like many donwpipes on the market. However, it turns out that most downpipes that have a flex joint are 2.5" but vendors/manufacturers don't seem to advertise that fact much. The difference in pipping size won't result in more/less power, but according to many the tone of the exhaust will be slightly different compared to the 3" offerings.

Installation:
Due to the fact that those pipes have the same diameter as the stock DPs, 2.5", the fitment was spot on. Installation of these downpipes was a breeze, but I could see bigger pipes being a bit more challenging to install.

Sound:
  • Cold starts are definitely louder than when stock, but nothing too crazy.
  • At lower RPM, the car sounds noticeably louder with a heaver/throatier tone.
  • At high RPM/full throttle, the car still has the same tone as with the stock downpipes, but just sounds louder and "angrier" overall.
  • Burbles and turbo spool are more noticeable.
  • With the valves closed (efficient mode), the car doesn't sound much different than stock.

One thing to note, the exhaust can be raspy at higher RPM when the car + exhaust have not been entirely warmed up. However, once the car has reached normal operating temperatures it stops sounding raspy.

Video:
I don't have the best camera, nor do I have the best video editing skills, but I hope you enjoy the video .

2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 05-01-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

This is not saying much but stock set up sounds much better.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #3
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P
I have same setup and stock doesn't sound better, lol. plus, with dp, at higher rpms, the car definitely pulls harder
      04-11-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
Of course in the end this is a matter of taste, that's why you have the option of running different setups.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The downpipes really just bring out volume. If you don't like the way they sound, you are really disliking the stock cat back exhaust. The axle back is the primary offender. There are some good things and bad things about the M3/M4. The ability to change out different aspects of the exhaust components to achieve a sound you are a looking for. The bad news is the potentially difficulty to find that perfect combo and the fact that everyones idea of what sounds good is different.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:03 AM   #7
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

How much louder than stock do you find them? Is the difference huge or not so much?

How about performance?

Thanks for the excellent review!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post
How much louder than stock do you find them? Is the difference huge or not so much?

How about performance?

Thanks for the excellent review!
There is definitely an unmistakable difference compared to stock, now how much louder might be a bit relative. If you ask me, I'd say that I'm extremely happy with how loud the car is currently and I wouldn't want it to be any louder. However, there are many others who feel otherwise and have much louder setups that include a catback system.

In terms of performance, downpipes on the F8X platform have proven to gain you around 10hp. Now can I feel that? Probably not, but again my intention of getting downpipes in the first place wasn't to make more power.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #9
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I have Eisenmann too and the fitment is top notch. I prefer the sound out of a 3" pipe though after owning them and ER. They definitely win in fitment though.
Appreciate 0