R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #23
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
I already have the Zeitronix ECA-2 with Continental ethanol sensor installed
I'll be installing Bend Calibrations flex fuel kit with Zeitronix ECA-2 this week. As far as the harness goes, do you know if we just need to tap into 12v/Ground and CAN High/CAN Low, or are other output connections needed for our platform?

For Sale
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #24
TacoJova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
I already have the Zeitronix ECA-2 with Continental ethanol sensor installed
I'll be installing Bend Calibrations flex fuel kit with Zeitronix ECA-2 this week. As far as the harness goes, do you know if we just need to tap into 12v/Ground and CAN High/CAN Low, or are other output connections needed for our platform?
Just those 4 is all you need
Appreciate 1
MJ6963.50
      01-11-2021, 05:02 PM   #25
Terrance41
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Any videos showing the e85 content on the dash?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 08:24 AM   #26
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm going to assume its pretty close to the same as the ECA-2.

BTW, if you need some help installing the Bend kit, check my youtube channel in my sig. I recently put together a terrible install video on my M2, most of which should be applicable for any F8X car.

I should have the ECA-2 install video up sometime either this weekend or early next week.
Appreciate 1
MJ6963.50
      01-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #27
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
BTW, if you need some help installing the Bend kit, check my youtube channel in my sig. I recently put together a terrible install video on my M2, most of which should be applicable for any F8X car.
I'll definitely take you up on that man; I'm installing the kit today so I'm sure it'll be helpful.

I appreciate it!

*edit* I watched your video and it will definitely help; being able to visualize what you're up against prior to an install has always been beneficial in my book. I will be routing the sensor loom up into the cabin however, and was wondering if you found a good route. My plan was to use some fishing tape and see if I could bring it in through the drivers side firewall grommet, but I was interested to see which direction you took.

I also extended and modified my wiring harness to include MQS terminals and pin splitters (similar to how AWRON had their vent gauge harness hooked up). My thought was this way I could swap the pin-outs to avoid the need to tap into the stock wire loom, therefore making the entire process reversible.

Name:  IMG_7507.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  737.5 KB

Last edited by MJ6; 01-13-2021 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #28
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'll definitely take you up on that man; I'm installing the kit today so I'm sure it'll be helpful.

I appreciate it!

*edit* I watched your video and it will definitely help; being able to visualize what you're up against prior to an install has always been beneficial in my book. I will be routing the sensor loom up into the cabin however, and was wondering if you found a good route. My plan was to use some fishing tape and see if I could bring it in through the drivers side firewall grommet, but I was interested to see which direction you took.

I also extended and modified my wiring harness to include MQS terminals and pin splitters (similar to how AWRON had their vent gauge harness hooked up). My thought was this way I could swap the pin-outs to avoid the need to tap into the stock wire loom, therefore making the entire process reversible.

Attachment 2504228
I haven't done mine yet. Likely be doing it this weekend, and making another video. I think the driver-side grommet is only available on DCT cars, I have a 6MT. If you get to it before I do and find a good spot, let me know.

Couple things to note about my filter install video, the bend kit includes a fuel line removal tool, its a pain to do by hand. I realized this after spraying myself in the face with gas.

Also, theres some hose clips and a small screw for tidying things up down there. I did not do that step. Bend actually recommends removing that metal bracket completely.

EDIT: as for the wiring tapping. I'm going a slightly different approach. I already have an AIM Solo 2 DL that I use for trackdays, thats connected to my canbus wires in the FEM. However, I had to attach a small 2 channel relay box to it, because theres an issue with the AIM Solo that causes it to draw power from the canbus when its powered off. The relay actually disconnects the canbus wires when it loses 12v signal (when the car shuts off) so it cannot draw power from the canbus (and produce a nasty warning when you start the car again).

Since I already have this box, and already tapped the canbus wires, I figured it would be easier to just add another jack to the box to plug my ECA-2 into. It already is setup to use 4 pin aviation plugs to supply 12v, ground, can high, and can low signal. I went ahead and soldered a jack on the end of the ECA-2 wiring harness to plug right in. (see attached)
Attached Images

Last edited by detroitm2; 01-13-2021 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
MJ6963.50
      01-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #29
MJ6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M4 ZCP  [10.00]
detroitm2

Well I installed the flex-fuel kit this morning, and I can say with absolute certainty that your video definitely gave me a leg up on the process. My only faux pas was during the final tightening of the fittings after I discovered a slow drip and temporarily forgetting importance of 'lefty loosey, righty tighty', a situation which quickly jogged my memory as only a blast of 93 octane in the face will do (safety goggles FTW!)

Routing wise you were correct in the assumption that on the 6spd there's no drivers side grommet to speak of, so I ended up defaulting to the passenger side. What I did was route the wire-loom up the drivers side engine bay to underneath the intercooler reservoir, then then loop it back around the rubber strut brace cover in order to bring it up and around to the firewall side. Once there I used a fishing wire to pull it underneath the aluminum strut and out the other side near the passenger side fuse box.

Bringing it inside the cabin and through the firewall however was a matter of trial and error. The first "grommet" you see after peeling back the passenger side cover in the engine bay is this gargantuan black mass, complete with what can only be described as a phallic extrusion of wire and unforgiving rubber. When BWM decided to make sure that the cabin was cut off from the harsh elements of the engine bay, I can only assume that the designer was compensating for something which involved both girth and uncompromising rigidity as any attempts to break through this barrier proved utterly futile. That was until I noticed a small rubber seal tucked up just above the Ron Jeremyesce grommet. I was able to force a small 12" crowbar with an inexplicably straight milled edge at the tip through this rubber plug, and through the firewall into the cabin.

Name:  IMG_7538.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  176.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7541.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  200.9 KB

For the step of actually getting the wire loom through and into that tiny space in the passenger side footwell, if you're lucky enough to have a small child or even the capacity to rent one for an hour or so, it would help immensely and assist you in avoiding the need for chiropractic intervention the next day. In a nut shell though, once you have the rubber plug impaled on your crowbar/giant screwdriver, its a matter of using the fishing wire to bring the end of the wire loom back through. This way of routing doesn't give much wiggle room in terms of the amount of remaining cable you'll have to play with when it comes to mounting the Zeitronix, but it's definitely doable.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #30
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
detroitm2

Well I installed the flex-fuel kit this morning, and I can say with absolute certainty that your video definitely gave me a leg up on the process. My only faux pas was during the final tightening of the fittings after I discovered a slow drip and temporarily forgetting importance of 'lefty loosey, righty tighty', a situation which quickly jogged my memory as only a blast of 93 octane in the face will do (safety goggles FTW!)

Routing wise you were correct in the assumption that on the 6spd there's no drivers side grommet to speak of, so I ended up defaulting to the passenger side. What I did was route the wire-loom up the drivers side engine bay to underneath the intercooler reservoir, then then loop it back around the rubber strut brace cover in order to bring it up and around to the firewall side. Once there I used a fishing wire to pull it underneath the aluminum strut and out the other side near the passenger side fuse box.

Bringing it inside the cabin and through the firewall however was a matter of trial and error. The first "grommet" you see after peeling back the passenger side cover in the engine bay is this gargantuan black mass, complete with what can only be described as a phallic extrusion of wire and unforgiving rubber. When BWM decided to make sure that the cabin was cut off from the harsh elements of the engine bay, I can only assume that the designer was compensating for something which involved both girth and uncompromising rigidity as any attempts to break through this barrier proved utterly futile. That was until I noticed a small rubber seal tucked up just above the Ron Jeremyesce grommet. I was able to force a small 12" crowbar with an inexplicably straight milled edge at the tip through this rubber plug, and through the firewall into the cabin.

Attachment 2505314

Attachment 2505313

For the step of actually getting the wire loom through and into that tiny space in the passenger side footwell, if you're lucky enough to have a small child or even the capacity to rent one for an hour or so, it would help immensely and assist you in avoiding the need for chiropractic intervention the next day. In a nut shell though, once you have the rubber plug impaled on your crowbar/giant screwdriver, its a matter of using the fishing wire to bring the end of the wire loom back through. This way of routing doesn't give much wiggle room in terms of the amount of remaining cable you'll have to play with when it comes to mounting the Zeitronix, but it's definitely doable.

Hah. You had me rolling with your description of the wires!

I'm glad my video helped a bit, and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to figure out a good ingress point into the cabin. I had actually planned on mounting the ECA-2 to the firewall right near where that mass of wires go into the engine bay, so it sounds like the length of the flex-fuel cable should be just long enough. Worst case, I'll wire some extensions on there to make it a bit longer.

I'll be throwing a video up and be sure to give ya a shoutout for your detective work.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #31
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
MJ6

Appreciate 2
MJ6963.50
sly1types431.50
      02-01-2021, 09:58 PM   #32
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Zeitronix all wired up ready to FLEX!
Appreciate 3
      03-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #33
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I just got my bend kit, i think there is grommet to the left of the brake pedal i think i can go through since i have a DCT. Then run inside under the dash to the passenger foot well.
Attached Images

F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 06:34 AM   #34
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
Attachment 2504228
I’d like to create the same harness as yours. Where did you source the MQS terminals, wires, and connectors? What are the part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:11 AM   #35
stondM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance41 View Post
Any videos showing the e85 content on the dash?
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5449.50
heitzke1152.50
      09-30-2021, 01:27 AM   #36
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Quote:
Attachment 2504228
I’d like to create the same harness as yours. Where did you source the MQS terminals, wires, and connectors? What are the part numbers?
Another user posted this… ready made

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ICB-WEFLX40-48
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5449.50
heitzke1152.50
      10-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #37
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
Another user posted this… ready made

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ICB-WEFLX40-48
Thanks for the link. I see that harness makes extending the flex fuel sensor wires easy. I’m interested in a harness that allows the CAN bus connection to be reversible with no damage to the factory wires. Something like the Awron harness.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16392477&postcount=4

I’m going to call EAS to see if they can order a replacement Awron harness.
Appreciate 0