GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

12-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #265
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT View Post
So, because this is what I do, I prepared the attached spreadsheet based initially on the functions on the bimmercode website and then adapted to what was available when I connected to my F80 M3. I am not sure if this will also help with anyone else, but I found having a print-out helped me prepare and track my coding in the event I need to restore back-ups.

I have not yet coded the highlighted changes I wanted where it requires a back-up to revert. I thought that doing those last would reduce the need to revert and re-code other items that do not require a back-up.

Some things I did notice as I was going through the exercise are below, and welcome anyone who can answer these questions.

1. Back-ups: When reverting to a back-up, is this done on an ECU by ECU basis? Or does it revert all changes back to the back-up file date? I was curious as there only appears to be a back-up option available after you enter a particular ECU in the app.

2. M Laptimer: I have seen this referred to as needing expert mode. Does this refer to compatibility with an iPhone connected with the app or is there a native M Laptimer app that can be activated without a phone (I am an Android user, so that would be awesome). I already see the M Laptimer when an iPhone with the app is connected.

3. Brake Force Display: Does this require expert mode settings to be changed as it appears that I already have it active (weak braking at 5km/h) in the ECU? (I would need to find an appropriate place to test and have someone watch).

4. Convenient Closing/Opening vs Comfort Access/Closing: I am somewhat confused between these concepts as Bimmercode seems to use them interchangeably and the manual seems to distinguish. These apply to coding on opening/closing windows or side mirrors, and I wasn't entirely sure if I was coding what I wanted, eg using the comfort access (?) when I unlock by holding the door handle, having the side mirrors unfold. This currently is not working for me.

That's it for now, if anyone would like the excel to create their own reference sheet, I would be happy to share.
Nicely done! This must have taken you some time. I would be interested in getting your original .xlsx file to create my own reference sheet. I don't think that you can actually upload an .xlsx file, but you can give it a .pdf extension with the instructions that the .pdf extension be changed to .xlsx after downloading. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:46 AM   #266
Frostycaps
"Kayzo and Slander"
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i XDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM09 View Post
I'm a coding rookie.

So I decided to give BimmerCode a try. Pretty cool app. I couldn't find much info here so I had to do a little homework on my own.

After a couple tries here is what I did:

Mirrors to fold/unfold w/ comfort access
(->comfort closing delay to zero, fold when locking=active, unfold when unlock=active)

Seat belt warning gong and start up idrive warning =off
(Under advanced crash safety folder, initial warning after start = just a seat belt warning, but the idrive legal disclaimer is under the head unit folder)

DVD in motion
AE's at 70% with low beams on
orange side markers off w/low beams
Flashing brake light under hard braking
Door puddle lights on in reverse
Camera on when car moves backward (not necessarily in R gear)
turned on rear DRLs (inner lights only)

Also, posting this extra info just in case anyone else is looking for it:

Per Stephan at BC:
-the ECU is not flashed just the coding options changed so it doesn't take as much battery juice as a remote engine tune. -coding can be done with the engine off, just be careful it can drain the battery.
-the engine shutting off is normal when doing the front electronic module.
-and there is no coding limit.

-also I when using your phone for this, do it in airplane mode. I don't know what would happen if you get a call while writing the new code.
Under head unit but where exactly? Im trying to do the same lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 12:09 AM   #267
SimbaPBA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 m3

Holy shit those spreadsheets are awesome!! Thanks so much!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #268
junkbox
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

Is there a way to disable EDC with bimmercode? It would probably be in expert mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #269
Go351
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

Quote:
So, because this is what I do, I prepared the attached spreadsheet based initially on the functions on the bimmercode website and then adapted to what was available when I connected to my F80 M3. I am not sure if this will also help with anyone else, but I found having a print-out helped me prepare and track my coding in the event I need to restore back-ups.

I have not yet coded the highlighted changes I wanted where it requires a back-up to revert. I thought that doing those last would reduce the need to revert and re-code other items that do not require a back-up.

Some things I did notice as I was going through the exercise are below, and welcome anyone who can answer these questions.

1. Back-ups: When reverting to a back-up, is this done on an ECU by ECU basis? Or does it revert all changes back to the back-up file date? I was curious as there only appears to be a back-up option available after you enter a particular ECU in the app.

2. M Laptimer: I have seen this referred to as needing expert mode. Does this refer to compatibility with an iPhone connected with the app or is there a native M Laptimer app that can be activated without a phone (I am an Android user, so that would be awesome). I already see the M Laptimer when an iPhone with the app is connected.

3. Brake Force Display: Does this require expert mode settings to be changed as it appears that I already have it active (weak braking at 5km/h) in the ECU? (I would need to find an appropriate place to test and have someone watch).

4. Convenient Closing/Opening vs Comfort Access/Closing: I am somewhat confused between these concepts as Bimmercode seems to use them interchangeably and the manual seems to distinguish. These apply to coding on opening/closing windows or side mirrors, and I wasn't entirely sure if I was coding what I wanted, eg using the comfort access (?) when I unlock by holding the door handle, having the side mirrors unfold. This currently is not working for me.

That's it for now, if anyone would like the excel to create their own reference sheet, I would be happy to share.

Hi.

Re the backups. It is module by module.

re comfort access - they are the same in most cases. I haven't coded anything for about a year, so the app may have changed a bit... i think of it as anything that you need to change when using the remote of door handles.

Have you done the auto seat retraction on entry and exit? that is my most useful change as it saves the wear marks in the driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #270
FiveOm3
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Has anyone trouble getting into the front electronic module? Mine says coding data invalid. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 10:46 PM   #271
devilbones
Arashikage
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Is there a way to code the instrument cluster orange instead of white for a 2016 M4? I I have the bimmercode app and did my mirrors but havent found that other setting.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:01 PM   #272
bimmerpl
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi GC

Does anyone know if it is possible to code used headlights using bimmercode?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #273
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerpl View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to code used headlights using bimmercode?
No, you'll need e-sys or ista to program new headlights
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #274
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
I just wanted to vouch for Bimmercode. I really only cared to get it for the purpose of disabling iDrive when the driver's door is opened, and to power fold the mirrors open/closed on unlock/lock. I also did the comfort programming where if you hold the unlock, it lowers windows and opens the mirrors and the reverse on lock.

Everything was really easy, it didn't even take 5 minutes to use the OBD2 connector and use the app to apply the changes.
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:30 AM   #275
MyNameIsNotSure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Is it possible to increase the brightness of the instrument cluster through coding? I just a 2018 ZCP M3 and the font on the clock/MPG/gear#/digital speedo is quite dim during the day and honestly at night too.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #276
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNotSure View Post
Is it possible to increase the brightness of the instrument cluster through coding? I just a 2018 ZCP M3 and the font on the clock/MPG/gear#/digital speedo is quite dim during the day and honestly at night too.
I agree about the dimness. I don't see anything in the "easy mode" with Bimmercode but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a way through "expert mode" but you definitely need to know what you're doing and what values specifically to change. I don't know the definite answer but agree with you.
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #277
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Curious is anyone knows if all the modules have to be plugged in for Bimmercode to work? I have my ASD module unplugged and just curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #278
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Just verified you do not have to have all modules plugged in.
I had a VGate wifi adapter and although I could connect and read in bimmercode it told me the connection was not stable enough for coding. I ended up getting a Veepeak Bluetooth adapter and that worked perfect and was much faster than the VGate wifi one in terms of reading the ECU's.
All I did was activate rear foglights on my 2017 ZCP with my Android Red Hydrogen One.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #279
smashgordon123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 & mclaren 570s

turning off the stupid warning screen when you turn the car on may be the best mod i have ever and will ever do to this car LOL. its glorious.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:10 PM   #280
JZEE12
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 328

DCT coding help

Hey anyone know where in the BimmerCode app the DCT module is found. Preferably where the gear Selector information can be found I'm not getting the d/s light to come on ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #281
HT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Nicely done! This must have taken you some time. I would be interested in getting your original .xlsx file to create my own reference sheet. I don't think that you can actually upload an .xlsx file, but you can give it a .pdf extension with the instructions that the .pdf extension be changed to .xlsx after downloading. Thanks!
Thank you for the suggestion, I was just trying to work out how to do that... I have not been on for a while, so apologies this took a while to get back to you, but for anyone still interested, this is the excel, and let me know if changing the extension back works for you all.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bimmercode1.pdf (301.4 KB, 465 views)

2016 M3 Azurite Black
Appreciate 1
ck_M361.00
      10-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #282
HT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go351 View Post
Hi.

Re the backups. It is module by module.

re comfort access - they are the same in most cases. I haven't coded anything for about a year, so the app may have changed a bit... i think of it as anything that you need to change when using the remote of door handles.

Have you done the auto seat retraction on entry and exit? that is my most useful change as it saves the wear marks in the driver's seat.
Thanks for the tips, I did eventually work out the comfort access, think it was mostly just different terminology throwing me off. I'll look into auto seat retraction, I would love to have that (especially with my white seats!).

2016 M3 Azurite Black
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #283
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion, I was just trying to work out how to do that... I have not been on for a while, so apologies this took a while to get back to you, but for anyone still interested, this is the excel, and let me know if changing the extension back works for you all.
Thanks! I downloaded your "pdf" file, changed the extension to .xlsx and it opened just fine! Nice looking spreadsheet! It will definitely come in handy!

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #284
hydratedeagle6
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 AYM

Does disabling idrive when driver door is open transfer call from Bluetooth back to phone or is it only so I don't have to press start button twice?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:23 AM   #285
Go351
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydratedeagle6 View Post
Does disabling idrive when driver door is open transfer call from Bluetooth back to phone or is it only so I don't have to press start button twice?
yes it will transfer the call.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 03:08 AM   #286
MyNameIsNotSure
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Does anyone know if it's possible to code the shift lights on the instrument cluster to activate even when the HUD is in M mode? Currently they're only on when the HUD is in regular mode and I don't like the shift lights on the M mode HUD itself, I'd prefer the ones on the tach. But I like the M mode HUD for aesthetic reasons.
Appreciate 0