proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

03-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #23
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
What about #3:

- thinks burbles are stupid and wants to disable them
- wants a little more top end power because he actually drives his car and redlines it regularly and wants to replicate his S54 and S65 experiences
im sure there are plenty more. i tried to generalize into the two most popular categories.

on the burbles...i do agree at times; they can be annoying...simple turn to efficent and they are gone..

this car should have came with a lot more buttons; most noticeably fuckin turn off rev-match. when spirited driving its so intrusive. but useful when just droning
Appreciate 1
Mr. Hankey1000.00
      03-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #24
FatRear08
Major
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPOWER View Post
My Car 2015 F83 has had DME STG3 for about 2years with no issues at all. I tuned when I had about 18k on the clock and now I'm up to 45K so reliability of this tune is great though I also change my oil every 3k miles and I do spark plugs every 15k miles. Though my car is very heavy in comparison to the F80 & F82 I have no problem hanging with those cars unless they are FULL E85 Tuned which do pull on me. Either way I highly recommend DME TUNNING. @FatRear08 we should meet up sometime to test out the differences between our cars as I live in NJ too.
Sounds good. Send me a PM. Under controlled, legal conditions of course
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #25
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
you guys have to understand there are two types of people who get tunes..

1. PURE TURBO RUNNING ON LIQUID HYDROGEN REAR SEAT DELTE; DRIVER DELETE; BREAKFEST DELTETE

2. and some guys that wanted burbbles and slightly better power delivery on thier civics.

1. always going to have engine problems because they abuse their cars; and have questionable driving habits at least from an engine maintenance perspective.

2. likely never redline; floor it once to show off/scare the car passengers and its over; back to a conference call or taking their daughters to chik fil-a

a tune alone is not going to spin your crank hub. no evidence just hysterics.

my sisters N20 just blew a head gasket....i doubt the car has exceeded 4k rpms much... and I dont think thats the end of the repairs.

Not even so much on the tune....but you buy a BMW you gotta know this
What about #3:

- thinks burbles are stupid and wants to disable them
- wants a little more top end power because he actually drives his car and redlines it regularly and wants to replicate his S54 and S65 experiences
Driving to redline actually makes you slower if on stock turbos. They start to nose dive between 6,200 & 6,500 RPMS. So you want to shift at these RPMS in order to keep the boost up and maximize the horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #26
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
What I can't get is, on a street driven car, where is the desire for more power? This car has me in jail time speed with a tap on the pedal in 3rd. 🙃
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #27
Faceplant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas marina f80

These over Exaggerated Pops and burbles are the worst thing to happen to cars. I would never believe 10 years ago that people were tuning their cars just for that. F you jag.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #28
gman_newyork
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC   [0.00]
2018 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3 Non ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
What I can't get is, on a street driven car, where is the desire for more power? This car has me in jail time speed with a tap on the pedal in 3rd.
All depends on how close you are to Mexico
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #29
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
im sure there are plenty more. i tried to generalize into the two most popular categories.

on the burbles...i do agree at times; they can be annoying...simple turn to efficent and they are gone..

this car should have came with a lot more buttons; most noticeably fuckin turn off rev-match. when spirited driving its so intrusive. but useful when just droning
Car is 100% not enjoyable in Efficient. It feels and drives nothing like an M-car. So that's not an option for me. I never drive in Efficient (save for specific scenarios like leaving my neighborhood very early simply as a gesture of politeness). And, while this may seem a bit hard-edged, I would honestly wonder why anyone would own this car and drive it in Efficient ... completely misses the entire point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman_newyork View Post
Driving to redline actually makes you slower if on stock turbos. They start to nose dive between 6,200 & 6,500 RPMS. So you want to shift at these RPMS in order to keep the boost up and maximize the horsepower.
Yep, totally get that which is my original point - I want more thrill up near red line.

That said, I think the S55 pulls nicely to 7k from an enjoyment perspective (I could care less about being slower/faster). It's at 7k where it falls off notably, at least in the ZCP car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
What I can't get is, on a street driven car, where is the desire for more power? This car has me in jail time speed with a tap on the pedal in 3rd. ��
Yep. More power is totally unnecessary - it's borderline ridiculously fast as-is AND it seems to be right on the edge of what is fully tractable - meaning, I can use full power in all gears except first almost anytime I want - I would bet that with even a tiny bit more mid-range this would not be the case and thus the car would be frustrating. The BMW M3 has always been about balance. Now, I could see extra grunt being fun in the higher gears so long as you could keep the output near stock levels in the lower gears. This would make 4k rpm, in say 4th/5th gears, wildly exciting, if not slightly dangerous depending on conditions.

But the shape of the power curve is a bit different from the older high rpm naturally aspirated screamers. Shape matters as much, if not sightly more, than absolute output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceplant View Post
These over Exaggerated Pops and burbles are the worst thing to happen to cars. I would never believe 10 years ago that people were tuning their cars just for that. F you jag.
Yep. I'm beside myself with bewilderment at how much focus on burbles I see on this board.

Really? Burbles?

Current - 2022 540XI M Sport, BSM/Black
Sold - many M3s and an M4

Last edited by EricSMG; 03-02-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #30
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

I’m interested in making 1st and second gear more enjoyable. I also want to refine the steering to CS and the EDC tune as well. GTS MDM MODE would be nice. I really don’t need anymore power, it’s tough to find tractotion most times.

Would bootmod3 have this type of set-up?
2017 Atlantis Metallic F80 | Silverstone Interior | 6MT | CF Mirror Covers | CF Front Splitters | CF M Diffusor | CF M-Performance Spoiler | RKP IND Side Skirt Extensions | IND Paint matched Reflectors | KW HAS Springs | Instagram: Atlantis_S55
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #31
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Car is 100% not enjoyable in Efficient. It feels and drives nothing like an M-car. So that's not an option for me. I never drive in Efficient (save for specific scenarios like leaving my neighborhood very early simply as a gesture of politeness). And, while this may seem a bit hard-edged, I would honestly wonder why anyone would own this car and drive it in Efficient ... completely misses the entire point.
I track it in efficient, as well as drive it on efficient on the street. More linear throttle response.

Since I've started doing that I like the car more. Fortunately you can disconnect the valve cables when they are open so they stay permanently open so you keep the louder exhaust mode
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #32
CT_M3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 DCT Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie View Post
I’m interested in making 1st and second gear more enjoyable. I also want to refine the steering to CS and the EDC tune as well. GTS MDM MODE would be nice. I really don’t need anymore power, it’s tough to find tractotion most times.

Would bootmod3 have this type of set-up?
Stronie

I don't have BM3 but from what I read, you can reduce the torque by gear (I think) to improve traction. BM3 can do the transmission tune (DCT) only aside from power.

DCT/Differential tunes (for traction) and steering: that's done with the Thor/xHP Flash. and other individuals coders (Alex , kubax86). From the feedback I've seen, their tunes are better than BM3's DCT flash.

Alex can also do the EDC coding.

Last edited by CT_M3; 12-02-2020 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #33
Boostd4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP Silverstone

This topic is just beaten to death, so much information out there that it's hard to really get a good read on how bad the issue actually is.

Bottom line is that more power always means more problems. I personally feel that if you keep the power levels (specifically the torque) within a reasonable percentage above stock...you'll never have a problem. As others have stated on the other SCH threads, a lot of the failures can be attributed to abuse and driving habits.

Applying a lot of load at low RPMs seems to be one of the big contributing factors as well. These cars can produce an inappropriate amount of torque very low in the rpm range, which puts a ton of stress on the entire rotating assembly.

Personally, I'm going to make tweaks to the MDM, Steering, DCT and a CS ECM map. This car seems to have traction issues from the factory, so adding 100wtq doesn't seem (to me) to make sense for what I'll be using the car for.

Lots of great information here in the forums...as well as a lot of mis-information. So just read up and decide which path you're taking...and welcome!
Appreciate 0