EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #45
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

I have a 540 wagon around me here in NOVA, cool guy(must run in the genes), great looking car!

My apologies to the OP as well.
      11-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #46
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

I understand the need and want to go fast in a go-fast car and love to do it every now and then. Getting frustrated about it is silly, however, and an act in futility. Take it to the track if you want to go fast.

As for the Durango... what a selfish asshole!!! I can't believe he would dare drive within the legal limits of the law! No one is intentionally getting in your way because they know it's an M, or any other car for that matter. An immeasurable majority of the population can't even identify what you drive while it's parked at the grocers, let alone pick it out in a sea of moving cars on a tiny rear view mirror. I'm sure it's the least of their worries how many ponies the car has behind them.

Seriously though, to put this into another context, maybe the slower ones have similar thoughts of you for going over the limit, downshifting, revving up and speeding around. I know I think the same when some shithead goes flying by at 90+. I wait and hold my breath to see if the car will spontaneously disintegrate from all that speed and road chatter. (I personally would love to watch the F8x do it on a road just to hear and watch it, or any other sports car for that matter, because I'm the minority that thinks it's cool and fun and am always a 5-year-old that is in awe of power. But as stated, a vast majority of people are probably of the opposite opinion, are ignorant to how capable the F8x is, and couldn't care less.)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #47
BEMR
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

My vote upstate South Carolina, mild weather, open roads many, little or no trucks monitoring lanes, very scenic, many tight winding roads, lakes rivers, and did I say scenic. Very green landscape year round. Not as many crazies since wide open. 40 inches rainfall, but they can get 4 inches of rain in a day so doesn't seem it rains all the time.

With integrity nothing else matters, without integrity nothing else matters.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #48
rz3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO/SOe F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill View Post
As for the Durango... what a selfish asshole!!! I can't believe he would dare drive within the legal limits of the law! No one is intentionally getting in your way because they know it's an M, or any other car for that matter. An immeasurable majority of the population can't even identify what you drive while it's parked at the grocers, let alone pick it out in a sea of moving cars on a tiny rear view mirror. I'm sure it's the least of their worries how many ponies the car has behind them.
Pretty sure the Durango comment was sarcasm, as was much of the rest...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #49
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Backhill, a couple of things. 1-I agree that 90% of the people driving out there don't know what I'm driving (that was not my point). The other 10% that do know are M owners. What they do know is that it is a BMW. 2-Driving around like an asshole, speeding in and out of traffic is not what I do. 3-Getting your driver license in the U.S is a complete joke. I'm basically talking about people who have no fu**ing idea what the rules of the road are and don't give a shit about anybody else on the road except to slow them down or cut them off.

also, the Durango driving within the legal limits of the law, either you're a police officer or a hypocrite.

Last edited by secretariat; 11-13-2014 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #50
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Backhill, a couple of things. 1-I agree that 90% of the people driving out there don't know what I'm driving (that was not my point). The other 10% that do know are M owners. What they do know is that it is a BMW. 2-Driving around like an asshole, speeding in and out of traffic is not what I do. 3-Getting your driver license in the U.S is a complete joke. I'm basically talking about people who have no fu**ing idea what the rules of the road are and don't give a shit about anybody else on the road except to slow them down or cut them off.

also, the Durango driving within the legal limits of the law, either you're a police officer or a hypocrite.
1- I would go much higher than 90% that cannot identify it as an M, as 10% of drivers are not M owners, per your logic. If they do know it is a BMW I will argue that it is not any more likely that they would cut you off if you were driving a Fiat and further argue a Fiat would get cut off more because it is identified as a slower, less capable vehicle that couldn't possibly go faster than car "X" that Joe Plumber is flogging. But at the end of the day, no one cares if it is one or the other. They will always be driving in their own style, cutting off everyone on the road to get their jollies off.

2 - I apologize. I inferred from your op, and those that followed, that that was your driving style.

3 - Agreed. Many do not know, or maybe wantonly and willfully chose to ignore the rules while driving in their own selfish style (see: Durango and Prius). If that is your case, I will argue that you also are selfish for always wanting to go fast (read: everyone else is blocking your wanting to go fast and are not yielding to your desires). There's a ying and yang here. They're dicks for driving slowly and outside the preferred and generally accepted and unwritten rules of the road. You're one as well, for driving fast, outside the preferred and generally accepted and unwritten rules of the road.

Durango: I fully admit that I speed, albeit infrequently. I am a dick on the road as well for my own selfish reasons, but if someone chooses to obey the law and in the process stops my attempts to speed, I'm not going to get poopy pants about it on the internet.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #51
secretariat
Major
Rep

BACKHILL, I clearly stated in my OP that I was venting because of my frustration. Hence the title of the OP. That's OK, RIGHT?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 10:56 AM   #52
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BACKHILL, I clearly stated in my OP that I was venting because of my frustration. Hence the title of the OP. That's OK, RIGHT?
Perfectly fine bromigo! I am stating that you need to see yourself through others' eyes. They don't know your intentions (unless your blinker and/or brake lights are on). They don't know you want to be going fast like NASCAR. They don't know you're frustrated. They don't know what you're driving (and don't care). Your posts come off like you have some sort of entitlement to the road and everyone needs to get out of your way, much like the very people you're describing and are frustrated with.

All I could think of when I read the OP was:

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #53
secretariat
Major
Rep

OK BACKHILL, I'm done with you now. I don't understand how you get entitlement from my OP. Maybe it's some where deep from your chilhood who knows. Have a good life.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #54
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
OK BACKHILL, I'm done with you now. I don't understand how you get entitlement from my OP. Maybe it's some where deep from your chilhood who knows. Have a good life.
I'm having a great life! I hope you do as well! Don't get too frustrated out there if the other meanies on the road don't get out of your way.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:17 PM   #55
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

It's not easy to find occasions to enjoy the car. Even when I go to some nice mountain roads, I'm often stuck behind a truck or some other slow-moving vehicle going under speed limit... I think if I go at dawn, I'd be a lot less likely to be stuck behind someone, but I'm just not motivated enough to do that...

I don't think there's really much of a concept of a passing or fast lane in the US anymore. I've seen this degrade over the years to the point where hardly anyone respects that these days. In fact, on many occasions I find that the leftmost lane is the slowest and most crowded, and the right lane is the least crowded and fastest. In some countries it is illegal to pass on the right, but not so in the US.

As population grows, all this just gets worse obviously. The roads get more crowded, they degrade faster, more road construction is needed, etc., so in general driving becomes less and less fun. That's the reason the vast majority of people I know prefer luxury to sportiness.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #56
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Sometimes, we do carry a reputation, deserved or not!
Attached Images

11-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #57
secretariat
Major
Rep

visualguy, I agree. That's why I go for drives before work and very early Sunday mornings.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #58
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

The reality is that the U.S is the worst fucking country to own a fast car. Not everybody has time or the desire to go to the track. I travel every weekend with my son to soccer games so my time is limited there.

All I'm asking is for a little fun here and there on the Interstate ramps or a couple little sprints here and there on open highways when there's nobody around.

But now I can't even do that because of the ridiculous traffic and assholes driving below the speed limit everywhere and blocking the left lanes. Then I end up having to switch 2 lanes and pass on the right just because some idiot gets some enjoyment out of making every car on the freeway have to go around him. But somehow I usually end up getting the finger like I'm the crazy one. Go figure....

To me, these are the people that usually cause accidents by not even driving with the normal flow of traffic.

And lastly, I'm so paranoid about the damn State Troopers everywhere waiting behind bridges and sneaking up behind you in their unmarked Chevy Tahoes and nailing you with tickets over $300 for speeding. Even when all you did was try and pass some of these assholes in the left lanes holding up the traffic. They're all over the place where I live and they're fucking relentless in their pursuit to ruin your day.

For all these reasons and more the U.S sucks big time to own an M4 or any other similar car. I may have to move to Montana or somewhere where I can enjoy my 5 min of fun time and not feel like an idiot for not just buying a 335i instead. For most of us it's not a status symbol owning an M4, I buy the car cause once in a while I want to see what it can do. I'm not a reckless driver either, I have 2 kids so I can't afford to do crazy shit on the road. But it gets harder everyday just driving around like my grandma when I have a car like that....

OK guys, end of rant....
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #59
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
I wait and hold my breath to see if the car will spontaneously disintegrate from all that speed and road chatter. (I personally would love to watch the F8x do it on a road just to hear and watch it, or any other sports car for that matter, because I'm the minority that thinks it's cool and fun and am always a 5-year-old that is in awe of power. But as stated, a vast majority of people are probably of the opposite opinion, are ignorant to how capable the F8x is, and couldn't care less.)
And you hate the F8X so much that you want to see one blow up (with occupants) just to make you feel good?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #60
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
And you hate the F8X so much that you want to see one blow up (with occupants) just to make you feel good?
Please re-read the context. Specifically, the sentence prior to the first one in your quote, which you left out. No where did I state or specify any make or model of car. And I never said blow up. Disintegrate has a different meaning. Nor did I say I hoped aforementioned ambiguous vehicle would.

Edit quote below for your clarification.

Quote:
Seriously though, to put this into another context, maybe the slower ones have similar thoughts of you for going over the limit, downshifting, revving up and speeding around. I know I think the same when some shithead goes flying by at 90+. I wait and hold my breath to see if the car will spontaneously disintegrate from all that speed and road chatter.

Last edited by backhill; 11-13-2014 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #61
Antipathy
d00sh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
This F80 M3 has got to be one of the most frustrating cars to drive around to......... to go for a ride in these machines, but also frustrating. Thanks for reading, and letting me vent.
Your experiences are very similar to driving in NOVA.

SUV drivers are pretty bad. But minivans are as well. Can't count how many times they'll be behind me while merging and then after the merge come flying past me then immediately slow down after they've passed.

Not sure what point they're proving by doing that...

I tried to pass a Camaro once who was maybe going 2mph over the limit, during mid pass he sped up. I decided to play that game and kept slowly increasing my speed to see if he would continue to block the pass. Got him to some ridiculous number and he gave up and made a right turn.

All I have to say is that I hate people, a lot.
      11-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #62
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Lots of people drive like assholes out there, BMW drivers notwithstanding but even more people have no idea of road etiquette, e.g., slow traffic stay to the right, pass on the left, no tailgating, use signals, speed limits, etc.

Ranting about it and getting angry does no good other than adding to more road rage and increasing the problems. My advise it be respectful on the road and stay clear of crazies and just pass when you can(safely of course - not like some lunatic looking to even scores).

Lastly, hit the back roads or even better the track if feasible for driving fun, highways in most cities around the country these days are very crowded and are no place to run your Ms like race cars, which they are...and why I love them so!

Last edited by shortseller; 11-13-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #63
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipathy View Post
Your experiences are very similar to driving in NOVA.

SUV drivers are pretty bad. But minivans are as well. Can't count how many times they'll be behind me while merging and then after the merge come flying past me then immediately slow down after they've passed.

Not sure what point they're proving by doing that...

I tried to pass a Camaro once who was maybe going 2mph over the limit, during mid pass he sped up. I decided to play that game and kept slowly increasing my speed to see if he would continue to block the pass. Got him to some ridiculous number and he gave up and made a right turn.

All I have to say is that I hate people, a lot.
It's something in the water here, I see it everyday driving the beltway.
      11-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #64
elitex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 21 X5MC

Garage List
sometimes it does feel like people do it on purpose. Recently I had a lady honking at me as she passed me in my M5, my wife and I were looking at her with wtf expression. I was just cruising along as I had my kids with me.

The funniest stuff happened when I owned a mini. I had middle aged men challenging me with their minivans and the funny thing is that mini isn't even that fast.
21 X5M MBB, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4 Comp,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade Plat ESV, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima, 01 Altima, 00 Altima, 94 Explorer, 92 Toyota Pickup, 98 Altima
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #65
ss134
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I'm just thankful I can enjoy this car in Germany and drive quickly every day if I choose - legally! Got to be some perks for us Europeans who have to pay so much more for these cars than the US guys!
2009 6MT E90 LCI 335i M -Sport - Sold
Appreciate 0