EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

Closed Thread

09-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #45
Kuwen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux
I'm having mixed feelings now. The fact that BMW is using live engine sound is good but amplifying it through the speakers suck. In an ideal world I wish it was unnecessary.

Maybe this is more akin to enjoying a concert with an acoustic guitar vs an electric one. At least BMW isn't trying to lip sync this time around.
Nail on the head regarding lip sync comment.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #46
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Why not just remove some of the sound deadening material that they have packed around the cabin to, you know, let in engine and exhaust noises(?!). It would also further lighten the car a bit.
Stop making so much sense!
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #47
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
At first I was against this and thought it was kind of a cheesy feature. BUT the more I think about it, especially with it sending the actual engine sounds into the cabin, the more I actually like the idea.

I remember with my C63, I loved the sound of the engine, so much so that I would turn down the music and open the windows just to hear that beauty roar. It was kind of a pain in the ass at the same time, because I really do enjoy my music and conditions aren't always perfect for windows down in Chicago.

Its not like this technology is sending audio outside your car to make the engine sound better to others, its simply letting the driver hear their own engine, because normally the engine sound is heavily muted inside the cabin. Now the people inside can hear what the people outside hear...

I do wonder why BMW can't simply add a feature to disable this for the people who are so against it, seems like an easy feature to add in the audio section of idrive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalS2k View Post
Well said!
+2
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #48
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

VAG has been doing this for a while now, known as Sound Symposer on Porsche and Soundaktor on VW. Not sure what they're calling the Audi version.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
I test drove the S4 in 2012 and actually liked the enhanced sound. The perk with their version is you can toggle it off (independent of other performance settings) in Drive Select. With cabins so muted now as well as the use of the devil, (FI ) without some development for noise enhancement, the engine not is going to be heard. Sure some say "take out all the sound deadening!" But the vast majority (myself included) get tired of vocal wind noise, tire/pavement slap, and traffic noises. When was the last time you rode in an econobox Honda? You hear EVERYTHING in the interior. So loud.

BMW definitely needs to have an off option for this though but hardly anyone would use it because you won't hardly hear the engine if you turn it off. Yes this is speculation but I'm sure it is true. Now the point about hi fi audio being forced to have engine noises going through the speakers at the same time as your favorite song, that actually does concern me. I'm guessing it won't significantly alter audio output because the engine volume will be low and fixed but we'll have to see about the actual outcome.

Really though I am quite pleased it will at least be the actual live engine sound and not the goofiness they put in the M5 and this is not something that turns me off from the F80/82. It will be interesting to find out how they're mic'ing the sound. I highly doubt any of it will come from exhaust noises.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #49
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702
Another nail in the coffin for BMW.

Do something right, with purpose and passion BMW Jesus. Remember where you came from and why you got here. I understand that companies must evolve and change but they must do it within there own brand values. It seems as though BMW's only value now is to make a buck.
So dramatic. Lol they did plenary right making it lighter than a e46 m3. Lol that's all that matters haha jk

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #50
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18
So if you're listening to music does it amplify exhaust sound simultaneously or is it one or the other?
Engine sound, not exhaust sound. Simultaneously.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #51
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I still don't like it but it isn't as bad as on the M5 and M135i.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #52
dreamsongs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 - E92 M3 - 335i vert

This seems the place to be for all M3/4 talk but it's disappointing that BMW would resort to this nonsense. Give me a real sound not a manufactured one !

I've been waiting for this car since I sold my e92 last year. I don't like this news....I hope there's disable button at least...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #53
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Oh geez, just another gimmick. Everything about these cars are being simulated….simulated/amplified engine noises, simulated road feel with electric steering, simulated "N/A - like high revving" turbocharged engine etc. The fact that BMW is relying on things to emulate certain characteristics by definition means they are straying too much away its roots (as far as enthusiasts are concerned)..for the general public/base models may be a different story, but not on the M cars please.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #54
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Is it live or is it memorex ?

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #55
gymtime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

If you get the upgraded speakers will it produce a better engine sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #56
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Reminds me of the last cca hpde I attended at the glen. In the pits picking up speed headed onto a hot track, My car sounded really loud... in my right ear... until I realized my mic the instructor uses so we can communicate was picking up the exhaust note bouncing off of the wall
      09-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #57
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Just wait until you add an aftermarket intake and BOV.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

This is the final nail for me. I am biting the bullet and getting a 991.

By the time this is on lots, CPO 991 S will be right in my wheelhouse.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #59
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Miles better than a synthesized sound generator which is just plain pathetic and terrible but I would really like the option to turn it off. FI engines lack in induction noise what is better, amplified by speakers or no noise? I dunno, need to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #60
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
VAG has been doing this for a while now, known as Sound Symposer on Porsche and Soundaktor on VW. Not sure what they're calling the Audi version.
I test drove the S4 in 2012 and actually liked the enhanced sound. The perk with their version is you can toggle it off (independent of other performance settings) in Drive Select. With cabins so muted now as well as the use of the devil, (FI ) without some development for noise enhancement, the engine not is going to be heard. Sure some say "take out all the sound deadening!" But the vast majority (myself included) get tired of vocal wind noise, tire/pavement slap, and traffic noises. When was the last time you rode in an econobox Honda? You hear EVERYTHING in the interior. So loud.

BMW definitely needs to have an off option for this though but hardly anyone would use it because you won't hardly hear the engine if you turn it off. Yes this is speculation but I'm sure it is true. Now the point about hi fi audio being forced to have engine noises going through the speakers at the same time as your favorite song, that actually does concern me. I'm guessing it won't significantly alter audio output because the engine volume will be low and fixed but we'll have to see about the actual outcome.

Really though I am quite pleased it will at least be the actual live engine sound and not the goofiness they put in the M5 and this is not something that turns me off from the F80/82. It will be interesting to find out how they're mic'ing the sound. I highly doubt any of it will come from exhaust noises.
I would actually welcome a sound symposer type enhanced sound.

Why BMW uses the speaker system is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #61
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT COUPE

F'N DUMB..........
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #62
gymtime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
Yes go and buy another brand because the real sound of the engine is augmented in the cabin

Oh and just ONE LITTLE THING that Porsche you're getting DOES THIS TOO so good luck finding a modern sports car without it
"VAG has been doing this for a while now, known as Sound Symposer on Porsche and Soundaktor on VW" Car And Driver

Oh the pleasure of letting know misinformed people that they're totally wrong, never gets old

I don't think Porsche uses speakers and you can also deactivate it

"Electronically synthesized noise is not a Porsche solution, so the engineers developed a new Sound Symposer that is standard on both versions of the car. An acoustic channel picks up intake vibrations between the throttle valve and air filter and a membrane incorporated in the channel reinforces the vibrations and transmits them as an engine sound into the cabin. The system is driver activated or deactivated via a “Sport” button that controls a valve ahead of the membrane.

The result is a direct acoustic link between the cabin occupants and the engine, providing optimal transmission of the load-dependent sounds. The sound of gearshifts can also be enhanced.

The Sound Symposer incorporates a tunable Helmholtz resonator to achieve an harmonious sound pattern, damping out unpleasant noise occurring at around 5000 rpm.

If the Sound Symposer is deactivated, an aperture in the air filter housing still allows the basic engine and exhaust tones to be heard—"because we don’t want it to sound boring!” explained Dr. Bernhard Pfäfflin, General Manager of the Noise and Vibration Department."
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #63
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes go and buy another brand because the real sound of the engine is augmented in the cabin

Oh and just ONE LITTLE THING that Porsche you're getting DOES THIS TOO so good luck finding a modern sports car without it
"VAG has been doing this for a while now, known as Sound Symposer on Porsche and Soundaktor on VW" Car And Driver

Oh the pleasure of letting know misinformed people that they're totally wrong, never gets old

Already know that.

Nice try.

BMW uses the speakers. Not even close in design.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #64
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702 View Post
Another nail in the coffin for BMW.

Do something right, with purpose and passion BMW Jesus. Remember where you came from and why you got here. I understand that companies must evolve and change but they must do it within there own brand values. It seems as though BMW's only value now is to make a buck.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #65
Race 1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Lets say you could turn this feature on and off in the m3/m4.

I bet everyone complaining would turn it off, then turn it back on and leave it on.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #66
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This is the definition of a speaker:

"The Sound Symposer incorporates a tunable Helmholtz resonator to achieve an harmonious sound pattern, damping out unpleasant noise occurring at around 5000 rpm"
Nice try again.

Still completely different setup.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread