proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > DIY and Coding Discussions

03-05-2018, 06:16 AM   #1
boomhowre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Remove cupholders from F82?

I want to run a lightning cable from my center armrest and up through the change tray / cupholders so I can charge my phone and access bmw apps like spotify. I was able to remove the basic pieces of trim around the gear shift and i-drive knob w/ no problem, but the actual center console piece with the cupholders and folding lid didn't want to come out and I didn't wanna pry any harder for fear of snapping something.

Anyone ever removed this? been searching and havn't had any luck, have found similar threads for other models but nothing for f82, any advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
MN2///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: very fast!

You should be able to find what you are looking for here:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f82-m4-cou/
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:07 AM   #3
boomhowre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Thx MN2 - great site!

I found the process for removing the console (though the pics look slightly different than mine) I'll give it a shot tonight....appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhowre View Post
I want to run a lightning cable from my center armrest and up through the change tray / cupholders so I can charge my phone and access bmw apps like spotify. I was able to remove the basic pieces of trim around the gear shift and i-drive knob w/ no problem, but the actual center console piece with the cupholders and folding lid didn't want to come out and I didn't wanna pry any harder for fear of snapping something.

Anyone ever removed this? been searching and havn't had any luck, have found similar threads for other models but nothing for f82, any advice would be appreciated!
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=210
Appreciate 1
beak1.50
      03-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Do you know that there is a 12-volt socket under the glovebox in the passenger-side footwell? That's where I have my phone plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
boomhowre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Yeah, but i don't think it allows you to control bmw apps, does it? Even if it does, i need my cord to come out near the 12v socket located right above the cupholder which is where i store my phone with a vent mount. So, I'd need to remove console pieces anyway. If i only needed power i would just use that socket near the cupholders which is positioned perfectly but i cant control the apps.

First world problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Not sure if it will be the same for DCT vs 6MT, but here's a photo showing what needs to be done to remove the cup holder panel.

Step 1 - Remove shifter boot and trim panel.

Step 2 - Remove button panel (2 tabs at the top/bottom) and disconnect.

Step 3 - Unscrew 2 torx screws.

Step 4 - Lift up the cup holder panel from the rear

Step 5 - Before removing the assembly, disconnect the lighter.

NOTE - The cup holder itself can't be removed from the panel; it is plastic welded together.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
boomhowre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

thx exo shell, I knew there was another screw under those buttons, just couldn't figure out how to get 'em out!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhowre View Post

I understand the cable to charge the phone, but to use spotify you don't need any cable, it works fine with Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #10
ninekrpm
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 (Track) / E92M3 (Street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
Not sure if it will be the same for DCT vs 6MT, but here's a photo showing what needs to be done to remove the cup holder panel.

Step 1 - Remove shifter boot and trim panel.

Step 2 - Remove button panel (2 tabs at the top/bottom) and disconnect.

Step 3 - Unscrew 2 torx screws.

Step 4 - Lift up the cup holder panel from the rear

Step 5 - Before removing the assembly, disconnect the lighter.

NOTE - The cup holder itself can't be removed from the panel; it is plastic welded together.

Do you have the CAE shifter? Any more DIY info on the install?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 09:47 PM   #11
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninekrpm View Post
Do you have the CAE shifter? Any more DIY info on the install?
I used to have the CAE installed on my car. Best damn shifter ever. I tried several different SSKs... I'm on the Rouge Engineering one now.

The installation for the CAE shifter is pretty self explanatory. And I found that their instructions were pretty spot on if you really examine it. The only parts that you really use from the OEM shifter are these parts I highlighted below. Everything else goes because the carrier for the CAE shifter gets sandwich-mounted directly to the transmission tunnel.

The only real issue I had was reinserting that dowel pin into the DSSR that CAE provides -- the tolerance is soooo tight. I think a press was used to get it in.
Appreciate 0