EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Day out of the office....

... Playing with these! To CP or not to CP - that is the question!
Attached Images

San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux

Last edited by gtsussex; 06-22-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Please tell us more.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Sitting in the pub trying to download all of the footage!

Simple answers are -

You think the CP rides okay and then you get in a normal M3 - like going in a luxury car!
BUT more wallowy and rolls more - not as tied down - has to be a trade off
Startup exhaust noise no contest and standard M3 'farts' which my CP doesn't
Traction on normal car is not as good as CP - could get it to slip when mine wouldn't - not sure why
Advantage of that is more ability to 'play' with back end that can't do in CP on dry roads
Inside noise - think the CP is noisier but it's not huge difference

A lot of things are marginal which is no great surprise. The ride and handling are the most noticeable things.

Can see why people would prefer either car for their own reasons.

Night and day difference - erm nope. CP just feels angrier - only way I can really describe it. Glad I chose my car (even accepting I'm changing suspension next week) but I can quite understand why some would prefer the non CP.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Standard M3 farts vs CP doesn't? Is farting a good or bad thing? Thanks

Plus based on that picture, one has a silver badge while the other a black badge.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
Standard M3 farts vs CP doesn't? Is farting a good or bad thing? Thanks

Plus based on that picture, one has a silver badge while the other a black badge.
i don't like the standard M3 'fart' when changing gear. My CP doesn't do it.

Re badges - correct!!
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post

Re badges - correct!!
can't wait to get car so i can start giving my opinoin ok yes it will be a F83 yeah yeah lol ...
but for now its still great listening taking it all in aint even got this car but looking on another car already....
the wife just don't get it
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #7
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbsy999
Quote:

Re badges - correct!!
can't wait to get car so i can start giving my opinoin ok yes it will be a F83 yeah yeah lol ...
but for now its still great listening taking it all in aint even got this car but looking on another car already....
the wife just don't get it
There are times when I would love an F83!! Just feel it's a bit harsh you holding back all the nice weather until your's arrives
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Here are another couple of items for you to discuss while I am still infront of my PC and not in a pub:

1) Tyres. Not getting into 437 vs 666 but rather 19 vs 20 in terms of availability and options. Do all major brands support both sizes and are commonly stocked by tyre fitters?

2) Living with a CP vs non-CP long term. What things, if any, could be different?

Personally, I think if you are buying a new car, it should be CP. I went non-CP last minute only because of immediate availability, colour, options and price i.e. nothing to do with ride and handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #9
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Interesting as in Nick Murray's most recent video he seems to think the CP is much more comfortable that his own non-CP car. The CP owner also confirms this.

You feel the exact opposite to that! lol.

Wonder if there is a discernable difference in US cars! :
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:28 PM   #10
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There are times when I would love an F83!! Just feel it's a bit harsh you holding back all the nice weather until your's arrives
hope so oh I'm hoping unless raining roof will be down,but more for me is the ride quality which I'm watching you closely not stalking material ok lol that wallow I'm hearing you mention a few times is bugging me already lol
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC View Post
Interesting as in Nick Murray's most recent video he seems to think the CP is much more comfortable that his own non-CP car. The CP owner also confirms this.

or maybe there roads our better very diffrent opinions I'm seeing and reading
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #12
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC

Yes I saw that. Nicks is an early M4 so perhaps it's different? All I can say is I was comparing two 16 cars and there IS a difference and non CP more comfortable!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by DazC

Yes I saw that. Nicks is an early M4 so perhaps it's different? All I can say is I was comparing two 16 cars and there IS a difference and non CP more comfortable!
Indeed. The age difference will likely be the main factor.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibbsy999
Quote:
hope so oh I'm hoping unless raining roof will be down,but more for me is the ride quality which I'm watching you closely not stalking material ok lol that wallow I'm hearing you mention a few times is bugging me already lol
It's all relative and don't forget, I'm changing my CP over to full coilover setup next as I'm not happy even with CP setup. I'm a fussy bigger
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:34 PM   #15
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

Re badges - correct!!
Yep mine lets out huge Baaarps! On throttle lift and change ups I quite like it but its not got anything else.

You're right with the ride I drive mine around in sport+ with no issues comfort is very soft but good on the motorway.
      06-22-2016, 01:38 PM   #16
TommyGuk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT4

I got a 24 hour test drive in a M4 non CP about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, my friend let me drive his brand new 142 miles on the clock M4 CP. I was really shocked because of everything you've said in your videos. I found the CP to be a lot more comfortable in comfort mode than the first car I drove (sorry don't know the year)

It might be a different story in sport and sport+ maybe?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #17
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
Here are another couple of items for you to discuss while I am still infront of my PC and not in a pub:

1) Tyres. Not getting into 437 vs 666 but rather 19 vs 20 in terms of availability and options. Do all major brands support both sizes and are commonly stocked by tyre fitters?
Both Continental and Michelin do * rated tyres for the 19" Michelin do * rated for the 20" not sure about Continental.

The asterisk means a star which = BMW approved.
      06-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #18
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGuk
I got a 24 hour test drive in a M4 non CP about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, my friend let me drive his brand new 142 miles on the clock M4 CP. I was really shocked because of everything you've said in your videos. I found the CP to be a lot more comfortable in comfort mode than the first car I drove (sorry don't know the year)

It might be a different story in sport and sport+ maybe?
Most bizarre indeed! One would assume the test drive car was nearly new.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Foretrees
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 YMB-MP Carbon-MPE Carbon

I'm running the stock exhaust with default open CG controller and its farts if you go on low load lift off and on higher revs it really pops, I want a new MPE exhaust but the fear is I will loose this......in built up areas it's a pretty awesome noise, if! You like that kind of thing
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #20
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Yep mine lets out huge Baaarps! On throttle lift and change ups I quite like it but its not got anything else.

You're right with the ride I drive mine around in sport+ with no issues comfort is very soft but good on the motorway.
Yup, I don't get the US review that Nick's done. Not saying they are wrong because they are both good people but Nick's car is an early one that has had no updates and this must be why they find that difference. No question of the two cars I drove today which was the most comfortable. Was instantly noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

The problem is something like ride comfort is so hard to define, what feels comfortable through the seat of the pants for one person may be uncomfortable for another.

Like all of these amateur reviews, whilst I have no doubt the testers are doing there best, I take them with a pinch of salt.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:13 PM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Btw, for Christ sakes don't post this on m3cutters. There will be a riot after what I was reading on there last night.

If you say anything even slightly derogatory about the standard car......

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0