Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Need to get this off chest, why is doing anything to your car so hard?

I feel like if anything happens to your car, you might as well just get a new one eventually. It is crazy to me how remarkably incompetent people are.

I finally purchased my m3 18 zcp 1.5 years ago with the full intention to buy it out after the lease. The car only has 5k miles. Unfortunately, my windshield cracked and I thought, this can't be as difficult as a repaint job or something right? WRONG.

I spent weeks trying to find a vendor, interviewing them basically. Finally found someone I felt relatively comfortable with, I told them my concerns and they addressed them. 5 star reviews, recommended from another shop. Anyway, one of my major concerns was being able to see the adhesive shine from inside the car. This was something I specifically warned this gentlemen about and he gave me the "that's a rookie mistake bro, I've been doing this for 20+ years!" great I felt. After the job was done, it took me a day to figure out when I went for my first drive that the adhesive was visible and even sloppy looking from inside the car.

They thankfully stood by their work and did the job again.. turns out the guy said he should have used a "foam dam" which is basically a raised piece of tape that keeps the glue from bleeding too much into the car.

Great.. 2 guys came out.. re installed the windshield.. this time, everything passed the eye test. 2 weeks pass, I hadn't driven the car, etc.. I washed the car only to find several scratches in the glass that extend passed even the line of sight of the wipers that weren't even used.

Specifically mentioned to him to inspect the glass, and I stupidly took them at their word that the glass was good.. nother "rookie mistake" that they wouldn't make. The glass comes with a plastic? maybe it was scratched when they had to reset the glass, who knows.. am I asking too much to have the glass installed with no adhesive and no scratches? how can the glass I had 5k miles on not have been scratched but this one magically has some?

Anyways, long story short, they refunded me what I paid out of pocket (didn't go through insurance) - I got scratches I can't feel by hand I'm going to try and polish out with ceriglass and carpro pad.. but it just hit me again that you literally can't trust anybody to work on your car man. If you find someone good, treat them well.

back to square one I guess..
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 4
BS_CS319.00
Kilabyte3942.00
RWSM348.50
dezzracer1173.50
      12-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #2
BS_CS
No Armrest club
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 CS / 2014 BMW X5

In a similar predicament but specifically regarding other maintenance like as simple as spark plugs. My 2014 X5 50i is known to be insanely unreliable I know, but a simple spark plug replacement takes hours, whereas you look at your LS/LT based Chevy or GMC SUV's for example and it should take you considerably less time, and less cost. I honestly feel specific manufacturers, European ones in particular, who are great in making new technology, making more power, and more MPG, but at the sacrifice of making engines so complex and difficult for the average end user to maintain that we are forced to go to a dealership to have them fixed, which ultimately is a benefit to the dealerships they work with.

Totally agree with you, and because of it I'm seriously worried to own most European cars, regardless of the make/model after warranty. So much so I'm actually looking at the US market again, particularly anything LS/LT based like I mentioned because of how straightforward replacements are, their lesser expensive costs to maintain and so forth.

Glad you got your windshield issue fixed though, mine already had a crack as well, fixed by Safelite using an OE windshield (which they brought the wrong one the first time), and ultimately after one hiccup it's good to go now.
      12-13-2019, 06:32 PM   #3
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Exclusivity isn't cheap...

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Extend this experience to just about everything now....it's a complete crap shoot as to if someone will do a proper job at anything, regardless of reviews. If it's a skilled trade, it's even more of a gamble.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410885.00
arashir164.00
      12-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

Time to learn how to DIY

That’s why I love Kies Motorsports. They treat any car with the most amazing care. Their crank hub work they did on my car was amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Much worse for anything you hire for your home.
M3Fahrer299.50
dezzracer1173.50
      12-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

I understand the cost saving benefits of not going to the dealer, but at this point, I’d just take the loss and have the dealer replace it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Don’t dealers just outsource windshields to someone like Safelite?
      12-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you want it done right...

Well, sometimes you just have to outsource and pay an expert and good god is it hard to find a real one who also cares about his work. I find that they're usually really expensive because they know they're worth it.

Bottom line: I feel your pain
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Don’t dealers just outsource windshields to someone like Safelite?
Yes - and Safelite is a complete roulette wheel as to the quality of installation.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #11
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

Crapshoot - I've had the rear glass and windshield replaced this year by a reputable local shop. Fast, easy, no issues at all. Sorry for your bad luck. I will say HUD OEM windshields are not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #12
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

lol in before people call you a perfectionist and to get it over it

its a joke all around th(when specifically not asked), get grease on my seats. What have you. Then you gee board. I cringe to take my car to the dealer as they will likely scratch my rims or update my istept some brain dead SA who thinks he is the CEO of BMW explaining dumb ass shit to me.

But like Tommy said above; man if you want it done right either do it yourself or take the risk. no other way about it nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Because like the saying goes "cant see it from my house"😐
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 12:41 AM   #14
J3NGOe90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!

First day when I got my M6 first thing I wanted to do window tint. I went to local guy, since I own a business I know shops don't like when you around your car checking their work while they working on your car. So I gave the guy some space while he was working on my car and sat in the office until car is ready, I thought what can really go wrong with tinting a window, let me know not bother them. So they called me saying car is ready. I didn't wanted to be annoying and check every single corner for tints in front of them. So I drove couple blocks parked the car started to inspect the car. Damn the thing I saw I could never think of would have happened. My beautiful red leather dashboard bubbled up on passenger side on top of the glove box from soap they were spraying on the windshield, maybe they sprayed too much I don't know. I went back after 5-10 min leaving the shop, showed them my dashboard bubbled up. I told them I'm not a tint expert but you guys should have covered the dashboard with something. They didn't admit that they did it, but it was clearly water/soap that made dashboard bubbled up. I didn't know myself leather dashboards need special treatment like that so I didn't give them hard time, sucked it up and walked away. Next day bubbles went way but water stains left on the dash. Sometimes some situations sucks
Attached Images

Last edited by J3NGOe90; 12-14-2019 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 02:05 AM   #15
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by J3NGOe90 View Post
First day when I got my M6 first thing I wanted to do window tint. I went to local guy, since I own a business I know shops don't like when you around your car checking their work while they working on your car. So I gave the guy some space while he was working on my car and sat in the office until car is ready, I thought what can really go wrong with tinting a window, let me know not bother them. So they called me saying car is ready. I didn't wanted to be annoying and check every single corner for tints in front of them. So I drove couple blocks parked the car started to inspect the car. Damn the thing I saw I could never think of would have happened. My beautiful red leather dashboard bubbled up on passenger side on top of the glove box from soap they were spraying on the windshield, maybe they sprayed too much I don't know. I went back after 5-10 min leaving the shop, showed them my dashboard bubbled up. I told them I'm not a tint expert but you guys should have covered the dashboard with something. They didn't admit that they did it, but it was clearly water/soap that made dashboard bubbled up. I didn't know myself leather dashboards need special treatment like that so I didn't give them hard time, sucked it up and walked away. Next day bubbles went way but water stains left on the dash. Sometimes some situations sucks
got a similar mark on my upper door sills from window tint. scrubs. and proud to be scrubs at window tint places.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #16
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP

My windshield cracked last month on my 2019. My insurance company Allstate sends glass claims through safelite. I refuse to use them and took it to the dealer, which they do in house. My insurance company and my service advisor kept telling me to use safelite. I still refused. The quote came out to 2200 for a new one. Allstate says I had to pay out of pocket and that 2200 may or may not be reimbursed. I paid.

I then looked up Florida law. Florida law says, it must be fully covered without paying any deductible. I got my full reimbursement with zero issues. Dealer installed true OEM glass, new seals all around, new sound dampening material, and a new rain sensor.

The insurance companies will talk you out of going to the dealer. Look up your state insurance laws first because the insurance adjusters do not even know them and neither did my service advisor who has an M4 as well and took his to safelite when his got damaged.
Now he knows.....
Appreciate 2
icegrill2078.00
2011zx10R427.00
      12-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #17
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
My windshield cracked last month on my 2019. My insurance company Allstate sends glass claims through safelite. I refuse to use them and took it to the dealer, which they do in house. My insurance company and my service advisor kept telling me to use safelite. I still refused. The quote came out to 2200 for a new one. Allstate says I had to pay out of pocket and that 2200 may or may not be reimbursed. I paid.

I then looked up Florida law. Florida law says, it must be fully covered without paying any deductible. I got my full reimbursement with zero issues. Dealer installed true OEM glass, new seals all around, new sound dampening material, and a new rain sensor.

The insurance companies will talk you out of going to the dealer. Look up your state insurance laws first because the insurance adjusters do not even know them and neither did my service advisor who has an M4 as well and took his to safelite when his got damaged.
Now he knows.....
Did your insurance go up after that claim? I am also in FL and also had my windshield replaced in 2018 at no cost / no deductible with an OEM windshield. When my insurance (Liberty Mutual) went up sharply at renewal time, I started shopping around and was told by Progressive that my "insurance score" was lower because I had that windshield claim over $1,000 and because I was rear ended while stopped in my last car in 2017, neither of which were my fault. No other claims, tickets, etc. on my record and credit score is 800+ so it had to be that "free" windshield that screwed my score.
      12-14-2019, 06:29 AM   #18
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Did your insurance go up after that claim? I am also in FL and also had my windshield replaced in 2018 at no cost / no deductible with an OEM windshield. When my insurance (Liberty Mutual) went up sharply at renewal time, I started shopping around and was told by Progressive that my "insurance score" was lower because I had that windshield claim over $1,000 and because I was rear ended while stopped in my last car in 2017, neither of which were my fault. No other claims, tickets, etc. on my record and credit score is 800+ so it had to be that "free" windshield that screwed my score.

It shouldn’t have. It’s a comprehensive claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #19
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Glass is a specialization and it would be really rare for a dealer to do it themselves even if the work is done on premise. They're using a trusted 3rd party technician in most cases.
Appreciate 2
SherM4n630.00
2011zx10R427.00
      12-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #20
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
Glass is a specialization and it would be really rare for a dealer to do it themselves even if the work is done on premise. They're using a trusted 3rd party technician in most cases.
BMW of FTL does it in house. They also text you videos of the repairs while they’re being performed which is pretty neat.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #21
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX2M4 View Post
Quote:
BMW of FTL does it in house. They also text you videos of the repairs while they’re being performed which is pretty neat.
Must be nice to have a dealer with full services like that! It would make seemingly simple things like glass repair much less stressful
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #22
NSX2M4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Must be nice to have a dealer with full services like that! It would make seemingly simple things like glass repair much less stressful
Best bet would be to call all of your local dealerships and ask if the sub out glass or perform at dealer.
Appreciate 0