Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #23
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

I've updated the list to add the OEM, Akrapovic, and M Performance (w/ Carbon Tips) exhaust system weights as noted by EAS here: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1092134
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Added downpipes weights (OEM, AR Design, Evolution Racwerks) from N54Tuning: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1093313
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Subscribed.

And I'm curious if someone might attempt to calculate or guess the weight for what I think my track focused build will be.

M4, DCT, 19's (to accommodate BBK), Cloth Seats, Carbon Roof, Harmon Kardon (bc I need my music).

Then I'm still on the fence on the CCB's.

My plan is for this to be my DD for a few years, I then plan to strip it down and do a welded half-cage and one-piece race seats, full harness setup. I'm hoping it will still be street legal at that point for occasional weekend drives but I'll have to check the local regulations to be sure. If that wouldn't be street legal then I think I'd just do a full cage at that point for that added protection and start towing it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Didn't see the Lithium battery listed:

Weight of F80 M3 / F82 M4 Lithium Battery
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1004967

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #27
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Subscribed.

And I'm curious if someone might attempt to calculate or guess the weight for what I think my track focused build will be.

M4, DCT, 19's (to accommodate BBK), Cloth Seats, Carbon Roof, Harmon Kardon (bc I need my music).

Then I'm still on the fence on the CCB's.

My plan is for this to be my DD for a few years, I then plan to strip it down and do a welded half-cage and one-piece race seats, full harness setup. I'm hoping it will still be street legal at that point for occasional weekend drives but I'll have to check the local regulations to be sure. If that wouldn't be street legal then I think I'd just do a full cage at that point for that added protection and start towing it.
I'm hoping to weigh some more local folks' cars in the near future. But, I think there were some weights done by someone earlier on that may be similar to your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Didn't see the Lithium battery listed:
Oops! I knew you guys weighed that but forget to add it. Thanks and added with EAS noted as source.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #28
ex12psi
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

subscribed. awesome thread
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2015, 10:35 PM   #29
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
I'm hoping to weigh some more local folks' cars in the near future. But, I think there were some weights done by someone earlier on that may be similar to your build.
Thanks, appreciate your dedication here! Will take a look around also for the earlier weigh-ins.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 01:56 AM   #30
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Stock downpipes vs Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipes:

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #31
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Stock downpipes vs Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipes:
Thanks! I updated the weights I had for these from another source with you as a source because you appear to be using a shipping scale and the other source wasn't sure of the quality of their scale.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #32
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

As far as I can tell, without changing functionality, exhaust is the best area in which substantial weight can be shaved while improving other functionality - albeit at cost. I haven't been following too many exhaust threads, but I'm sure a straight-pipe w/ resonator and at least one set of cats would yield a balanced result (though it might sound like crap).

The stock front seats no longer weight alot and replacing them would alter the airbag system.

Stock wheels are light.

Stock battery is light.

Roof, hood, trunk - light.

OEM struts - as far as I know on the adaptive suspension at least they are aluminum bodied, and thus I doubt much weight savings are going to be had in the suspension.

BMW did an outstanding job SHOWING the enthusiast community just how hard it is to get lighter yet maintain OEM reliability and functionality and a good everyday driving experience.

Lastly, if someone is truly going with a lightweight model and making some sacrifices, do your thing and then corner weight it.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #33
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
As far as I can tell, without changing functionality, exhaust is the best area in which substantial weight can be shaved while improving other functionality - albeit at cost. I haven't been following too many exhaust threads, but I'm sure a straight-pipe w/ resonator and at least one set of cats would yield a balanced result (though it might sound like crap).

The stock front seats no longer weight alot and replacing them would alter the airbag system.

Stock wheels are light.

Stock battery is light.

Roof, hood, trunk - light.

OEM struts - as far as I know on the adaptive suspension at least they are aluminum bodied, and thus I doubt much weight savings are going to be had in the suspension.

BMW did an outstanding job SHOWING the enthusiast community just how hard it is to get lighter yet maintain OEM reliability and functionality and a good everyday driving experience.

Lastly, if someone is truly going with a lightweight model and making some sacrifices, do your thing and then corner weight it.
Yeah, I agree on the exhaust being the lowest hanging fruit. The thing is though that it is coming mostly out of the rear of the car so I suspect you are adding more front weight bias in the process.

Would be nice if there was a way to offset that in the front. So you could do a muffler delete and then shave weight in the front to keep it to stock weight distro...but I'm skeptical that there is enough weight in the front to shave to offset 20-40lbs or more on a serious exhaust weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #34
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Yeah, I agree on the exhaust being the lowest hanging fruit. The thing is though that it is coming mostly out of the rear of the car so I suspect you are adding more front weight bias in the process.

Would be nice if there was a way to offset that in the front. So you could do a muffler delete and then shave weight in the front to keep it to stock weight distro...but I'm skeptical that there is enough weight in the front to shave to offset 20-40lbs or more on a serious exhaust weight savings.
Genuine question: Where is the belief that if you take a car with a 50/50 weight bias and do nothing but remove rear weight that this is somehow a negative?

AFAIK, a car with a 52/48 weight bias that is 50 pounds lighter in the rear than a 50/50 weight bias that's 50 pounds heavier....the lighter car is still the superior performer in all respects.
      03-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #35
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Genuine question: Where is the belief that if you take a car with a 50/50 weight bias and do nothing but remove rear weight that this is somehow a negative?

AFAIK, a car with a 52/48 weight bias that is 50 pounds lighter in the rear than a 50/50 weight bias that's 50 pounds heavier....the lighter car is still the superior performer in all respects.
I'm not a pro...so I guess my explanation is more of a personal preference. I'm under the assumption that the closer I keep it to stock weight distribution the less I'm going to screw up the handling from how BMW M intended it. Now...if I knew what I was doing with sway bars, corner balancing etc... maybe that wouldn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 10:56 PM   #36
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:

I don't agree with this Joe. Not each pound is of same value. Removing weight from the rear of a car with a 52f/48r weight distribution will make things worse. 50 lbs total removed is not a positive move if it reduces traction from the driven wheels. Without traction, nimbleness has no value, or being able to move the less weight with same power won't result in increased performance again if you are compromising traction.

I admit what I wrote above is utter useless without data, but simple tests can show the difference by just adjusting the rear track width and doing skid pad and straight line testing. The differences will be in the millisecs with those tests, but enough to prove the theory. I personally would prefer to add 50 lbs to the car if I can on the rear axle than take it off, and I believe that is what Swift is trying to do as well with their springs with staggered lowering heights when they release them.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 03:35 AM   #37
robbo mcs
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 and others

Quote:

Well there is one easy way get weight from the front, remove the aircon. The condensor, fluids, compressor and tubing would be in the 20-40lbs range. Of course this is not palatable to most people, but for someone really wanting a lightweight track car it is the obvious low hanging fruit on the front end.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #38
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

I've changed my DD/track build up a bit:
M4, 6MT, 18's, Steel Brakes, Cloth Seats, Carbon Roof, Harmon Kardon

Then I'm going to see if I can back calculate the weight from the EAS weigh-in thread and your info.

Their M4 specs and weight:
2015 Alpine White M4 Specs
0ZDB Driver Assistance Plus - my guess is no weight penalty
0ZEC Executive Package - ??
0ZLP Lighting Package - my guess is no weight penalty
02MK M Double-clutch Transmission (DCT) - 89 lbs
02VF Adaptive M Suspension - probably talking ounces on this one
02VZ 19" Black Wheel 437 M Mix Tire - 7.6 lbs
Fuel: 1/2 Tank (no driver) - 50 lbs (estimate)
Weight: 3579lb

Well, I guess I may have to wait until someone else orders a stripper build and weighs it but it looks like I'll be at least less than 3432 lbs w/o fuel (edit: + Harmon Kardon I just realized), not bad!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #39
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, I added a bunch of weights today. Thanks to dmk08 for bringing his F80 over to do the KW HAS install I was able to weigh many of the OEM suspension components plus the KW HAS parts and his Macht Schnell spacers and bolts.

I removed my pictures because my bandwidth at Photobucket is getting roasted but if anyone needs them, I am retaining them.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #40
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Hey guys, I added a bunch of weights today. Thanks to dmk08 for bringing his F80 over to do the KW HAS install I was able to weigh many of the OEM suspension components plus the KW HAS parts and his Macht Schnell spacers and bolts.

I removed my pictures because my bandwidth at Photobucket is getting roasted but if anyone needs them, I am retaining them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #41
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Not trying to be a hater... But there is almost no point doing all of these works unless you are stripping down the interior and going with a lightweight racing seats (you can probably save a 100lbs just be switching the seats alone, going with a stripped down interior would probably net another 100-300lb saving, but why are doing that to a brand new $80k M3 is the question)...

Most of the weights in any modern BMW are in the sound insulation and stock seats. And unless you racing competitivelyp, it would be just a waste of money. If you want faster times, spend the money on sticker tires and better driving skills instead.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2015, 11:28 AM   #42
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Not trying to be a hater... But there is almost no point doing all of these works unless you are stripping down the interior and going with a lightweight racing seats (you can probably save a 100lbs just be switching the seats alone, going with a stripped down interior would probably net another 100-300lb saving, but why are doing that to a brand new $80k M3 is the question)...

Most of the weights in any modern BMW are in the sound insulation and stock seats. And unless you racing competitivelyp, it would be just a waste of money. If you want faster times, spend the money on sticker tires and better driving skills instead.
Or you just want to know?
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #43
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Nothing wrong with collecting data. It's great we a reference page as this info will be valuable once the new platforms start becoming more popular on the track.

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #44
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post

Because this is the process through which knowledge is gained, and maybe (hopefully) a meaningful weight reduction becomes possible, without sacrificing too much. And it's how the aftermarket community will learn where improvements are possible.

Becoming a better driver, investing in sticky tires, AND weight reduction are all ideal.

Maybe it's not going to be possible with this platform without sacrificing too much, but I applaud guys for investigating.

I suspect a ~3200# F80 would be a hoot @ the track.
Appreciate 1
EGbeater113.50