GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #89
808M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112 View Post
Can you post a pic from the driver perspective? I mounted mine on top of the rear view mirror to make it discrete as possible from outside but the dot matrix is blocking some of the video.
This is the view from front camera as installed on my windshield. I have also included view from driving position. Actually dont see that much of camera.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #90
Jchan112
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchan112 View Post
Can you post a pic from the driver perspective? I mounted mine on top of the rear view mirror to make it discrete as possible from outside but the dot matrix is blocking some of the video.
This is the view from front camera as installed on my windshield. I have also included view from driving position. Actually dont see that much of camera.
Perfect, thank you! I'm going to reposition my Blackvue now..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2015, 05:01 PM   #91
808M3
Private
Rep

Ok, for those thinking about Cellink B. Connected ACC to fuse #162 and Battery to fuse #161. Found out if you dont drive car everyday, Comfort Access will not work as previously reported by others. So, I disconnected Battery cable. I thought that since my car was in enclosed garage, therefore no movement to trigger it to record, it would not use much power. But that is not the case. You need to charge Cellink everyday.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #92
YasM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A BMW

For you guys wondering about no comfort access features. When the vehicle sees a battery drain and depending on the actual state of charge of the battery. The vehicle will shut down some features to preserve the battery. This is normal. It varies from case to case because each vehicle is different. Colder climates will make this issue worse. Cars that are driven on short trips mostly will make the matter worse as well, because the battery does not have a chance to charge properly. Its basically the vehicles electrical system is doing its job cutting out consumers that are not needed because it sees a battery drain or a lower battery charge. It cuts out particular consumers so the vehicle can still operate.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #93
viciouz
M4 JAY
Rep
Drives: '96 E36 m3, '15 F82 m4

This dash am, actually has paid for itself already. 3 weeks ago my car was backed into causing 5000 dollars in damage. I will post pictures soon and video. I'm waiting to get my car back from the body shop later this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #94
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

Sorry to hear viciouz

I just placed an order for a dr750 with the multisafer from blackboxmy car and a 64GB SD card from amazon on sale for $40. Alex was great to work with, wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Hopefully I get this installed asap.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 09:50 PM   #95
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Interested in hearing what settings are you guys using on your blackvues? Especially with the motion sensor, etc etc. I feel like hitting any bump on the road will set it into event mode. Ideally I want it to only record if it detects motion, but it seems like it's just recording all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #96
apexit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 SO M3

I think I'll have motion off. I live in the NYC area, if I leave it on then it'll basically be recording the whole time it's not parked at home. It would still get any fender benders and bumps and i'd miss any keying or something similar which would suck either way and I don't see a video helping anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 03:39 AM   #97
blackboxmycar
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP & F15 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Interested in hearing what settings are you guys using on your blackvues? Especially with the motion sensor, etc etc. I feel like hitting any bump on the road will set it into event mode. Ideally I want it to only record if it detects motion, but it seems like it's just recording all the time.
I have my motion sensor to the lowest setting. All Korean dashcams come with parking mode by motion detection feature, but different dashcams offer different sensitivity when it comes to parking mode. BlackVue is on the sensitive side, but it is alot better than having a dull parking mode. Lukas is terrible when it comes to parking mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
Sorry to hear viciouz

I just placed an order for a dr750 with the multisafer from blackboxmy car and a 64GB SD card from amazon on sale for $40. Alex was great to work with, wouldn't hesitate to use him again. Hopefully I get this installed asap.
Thank you for your kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M3 View Post
Ok, for those thinking about Cellink B. Connected ACC to fuse #162 and Battery to fuse #161. Found out if you dont drive car everyday, Comfort Access will not work as previously reported by others. So, I disconnected Battery cable. I thought that since my car was in enclosed garage, therefore no movement to trigger it to record, it would not use much power. But that is not the case. You need to charge Cellink everyday.
Once the Cellink is fully charged, it should give you more than enough for several days... This varies with what dashcam you are using (1ch vs 2ch). Please keep me posted on this.

-----
As promised, I tested comfort access issue with a local M4 owner and I have to conclude that the new M3 & M4 are the only BMWs that are suffering from comfort access issue. Like I said before, we started from the BMW community and we have installed our dashcams from the E30 3-Series to brand new X6M. I never had this issue seen on any other BMW series or any other brands that have keyless entry feature. I have 3-4 dashcams running all the time in my M3 and F10, but I have no issue with my comfort access. F30 3-series don't suffer from comfort access issue either; however, the M3 & M4 do for some reason we have yet to figure out why. (perhaps a smaller battery ?)

I spoke to the manufacturers and popular dashcam installers in Korea. They pointed out to use the battery pack and thats what most BMW owners are doing in Korea. If you are parked at a secure garage, you can simply unplug the power cable from the unit, this way you don't see battery discharge sign in the morning or have an issue with the comfort access feature
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #98
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yugo

I am coming into this quite late...but will try to muddy the waters even more.

My thinking is that you want the extra battery (cellink or t alpha or whatever) to power the dash cam at all times. The extra battery will charge when, and only when the car engine is running. This way you don't drain the regular car battery at all due to dash cam. The extra battery should have an automatic "switch" that powers the dash cam directly from car alternator when engine is running and from battery when engine is not running. The automatic "switch" needs to communicate to dash cam when it switches so dash cam switches between park/always on modes. I think it does this via voltage drop? Alternator provides slightly higher voltage than battery.

The way you guys are hooking up the cellink it looks like is in parallel with car battery. If so, all you are doing is providing a bit more battery capacity. What you want is a separate battey/power source for dash cam.

Dash cam should be drawing power from cellink and cellink draws power from alternator. When alternator is on, cellink allows power to go directly to dash cam and at same time charge cellink battery. When alternator is off cellink battery powers dash cam. Once cellink drains dash cam stops working...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #99
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep

That automatic "switch" is fairly common in battery back up systems. Computer UPS systems being an example.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #100
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep

I think 808M3 wired the cellink incorrectly.

Ordered the Blackvue and cellink from Alex and will post my install. The sooner it arrives the sooner I can post, Alex....hint hint, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #101
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

I think this one has been recommned before and I went ahead and got it. All I can say is that for 100 bucks I don't think you can beat it. You get 1296P, GPS, a small screen and small foot print. I would say the number one flaw is the way you mount it. Other than that, you get great quality video, very wide and high res enough to read licences plates.

http://www.amazon.com/SplashETech-Da...ords=mini+0805
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 03:29 AM   #102
808M3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
I think 808M3 wired the cellink incorrectly.

Ordered the Blackvue and cellink from Alex and will post my install. The sooner it arrives the sooner I can post, Alex....hint hint, lol.
I talked to Alex about wiring the Cellink, he said he couldn't help me since he didn't have an M3. I followed his video posted here and the accessory fuse he showed did not work, thus I used cigarette plug. Left car unused for two days and comfort access did not work. So, I disconnected battery hardwire and that solved that problem. I am anxiously awaiting the correct way to hardwire this unit, since I couldn't figure it out from the directions given.

Been giving a thought on what you mentioned. Alex told me not to use PowerMagicPro, but after what you said, I will try this tomorrow. I will hook up camera to PMP, hardwired to fuse box, but connect PMP battery cable to Cellink B. Since I dont know of another ACC fuse, I will use cigarette plug for Cellink. Let you know if this works.

Last edited by 808M3; 04-17-2015 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #103
ChadMo3
El Tee
Rep

did you all have this installed or DIY? Also, does anyone know if the G1W records while the car is off?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #104
808M3
Private
Rep

Sorry, but seems my PMP is not working, don't know the reason. Ordered Multi-Safer from Alex, hope it works.

Can anyone give me a fuse I can use in trunk for ACC besides #162?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #105
viciouz
M4 JAY
Rep

Here are the links to the Dash Cam and Pictures to the damage done to my car.

It was 5000 dollars worth of damage!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=5e61b4e5cd

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...1&l=06f2131938

Appreciate 2
      04-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #106
TheLegend
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

@blackboxmycar, thanks I set mine to 5 for now to see how it is, seems to be better not on all the time. I might set it to 1 soon. I heard 0 just means infinitely on.

@viciouz Unbelievable, didn't even get out of the car to check. I'm glad you were able to catch that guy and get his plates. Hope you gave them hell for essentially a hit and run. Was it recorded as an event?

Question for you all, do you check the footage everyday or just check for events? I usually just check the events or give the car a once over and not even bother.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #107
racsos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post

Question for you all, do you check the footage everyday or just check for events? I usually just check the events or give the car a once over and not even bother.

i just give it the once over and if nothing is wrong i don't check. However i took mine into the dealer for service and i checked it the entire time then lol. It was pretty neat to see everything.

I have the blackvue. The only thing that is annoying is that i have to look at 1 min clips at a time. Any blackvue users know how to have it stop one clip and start the other one automatically?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #108
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep

Viciouz - did you involve the 5-O or just your insurance?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 04:59 AM   #109
viciouz
M4 JAY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodengun View Post
Viciouz - did you involve the 5-O or just your insurance?
Just insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #110
Woodengun
Lieutenant
Rep

I received cellink and blackvue from Alex.

Played a bit with the cellink - for sure 808M3 has his wired incorrectly.

On cellink "output" - that is where you plug dashcam into.

On cellink "Mainbatt" - dont use.

On cellink "input" - connect positive to ACC fuse and the negative to ground terminal on car body.

If I am viewing 808M3 picture correctly you have output going to ground, input going to the car battery and mainbatt going to ACC fuse.

Should have time to hardwire mine this week or weekend.
Appreciate 1