Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

06-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #133
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
did a bit of driving this morning

note i have asd off and sunroof which lets more sound into cabin when tilted

it's slightly louder in efficient, maybe 5%, only really noticed it the first few minutes driving away from shop, could have just been exhaust bedding in as i didn't notice it this morning

sport and sport plus you can definitely hear it louder, maybe 15%, but what has changed is the tone, gone is the raspiness in midrange, it's more bassy now up until around 5k, then it turns raspy again, which is a good thing as i don't mind the rasp tbh, and having it higher up rev range makes the car sound a bit less 'weird' majority of the time

burble is as expected, hasn't changed the sound, just made it louder by same amount

the biggest change to me is the exhaust crack when wastegate dumps boost, that is alot louder now, way more violent, and really what i wanted after hearing my mate's bpm tuned m3 (the extra boost made it so much more audible) - come off a corner, build boost through midrange, get off throttle and you hear that big cracks. gives the car a bit more character stringing some corners together

was it worth 2k, prob not, but it feels like one of those mods that in a couple months when i'm used to it, i'll feel like how did i do without it. it's a subtle change, nothing like going catless dp's, you'd really have had to of spent a fair bit of time with the mpe, and asd off, to really notice it

mrs is dragging me away for long weekend, will be some good driving roads where i'm heading, so will get it out one morning and do some better driving
Great review, thats what i kind of expected... and hoped for, not a big change just s subtle deeper tone ...

Out of curiosity, what was the change with ASD disabled.. ?? i was going to do that whan my car gets back from bmw after replacing valvetronic and injectors next week...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #134
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

asd off just gets rid of the constant noise coming through the speakers in sport/sport+

turning it off sets the exhaust sound stage to where it should be, coming from behind you

intake spool from eventuri is also more pronounced as it's not being drowned out by the speakers

the only negative is downshifting in higher gears at lower revs, you don't hear the exhaust blip as majority of that is synthesized audio
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #135
Ed_rx7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP

So why don’t people just fit the magnaflow silencers in place of the secondary cats...?

Seems like the cheapest solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 09:14 PM   #136
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_rx7 View Post
So why don’t people just fit the magnaflow silencers in place of the secondary cats...?

Seems like the cheapest solution.
some people don't want to chop up their oe exhaust

bolt on parts are always easier, and you pay for that privilege - also have something to sell down the road with it being easily reversible
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 12:56 AM   #137
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 Azurite/Opal DCT

Sorry guys, but i'd like to revive this thread.

My M4 is basically FBO (minus a midpipe). I don't love the AA EL as i personally like the sound of the S55. I really want to hear more of the turbo sound via exhaust (my N55 e92 just had catless downpipes and you could REALLY hear the turbo in the exhaust sound).

I do love the AA single midpipe, but have 2 concerns 1) the single pipe is actually smaller than the 2 OEM pipes and 2) drone as it eliminates everything until you get to the muffler.

With this, i found the fabspeed midpipes. I really like this dual setup, but the fitment portion is scaring me. Should i not buy these due to the fitment? Is the drone that bad with flap CLOSED?

I don't daily the m4, but i'd like to be able to go on long cross-state drives on the interstate and hear no drone with the flap closed.

Can you guys chime in?
      07-29-2021, 08:19 PM   #138
dannyz_M4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Frozen White M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92TiAg335i View Post

My M4 is basically FBO (minus a midpipe). I don't love the AA EL as i personally like the sound of the S55. I really want to hear more of the turbo sound via exhaust (my N55 e92 just had catless downpipes and you could REALLY hear the turbo in the exhaust sound).

I do love the AA single midpipe, but have 2 concerns 1) the single pipe is actually smaller than the 2 OEM pipes and 2) drone as it eliminates everything until you get to the muffler.

With this, i found the fabspeed midpipes. I really like this dual setup, but the fitment portion is scaring me. Should i not buy these due to the fitment? Is the drone that bad with flap CLOSED?

I don't daily the m4, but i'd like to be able to go on long cross-state drives on the interstate and hear no drone with the flap closed.

Can you guys chime in?
I have had my fabspeed installed for over 1.5 years now.

No fitment issues whatsoever. Was a PITA to install myself on the ground on jacks, but fitment was spot on.

Also sound is great. No drone whatsoever with both valves open or not. Sound is slightly deeper and 20% louder I would say.

You won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 07:28 AM   #139
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz_M4 View Post
Quote:

Can you guys chime in?
I have had my fabspeed installed for over 1.5 years now.

No fitment issues whatsoever. Was a PITA to install myself on the ground on jacks, but fitment was spot on.

Also sound is great. No drone whatsoever with both valves open or not. Sound is slightly deeper and 20% louder I would say.

You won't be disappointed.
My buddy (certified tech) is going to install it. Yours is the secondary cat delete, right? This is not the entire midpipe that replaces the secondary resonator as well, right?
      07-30-2021, 07:54 AM   #140
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:

Can you guys chime in?

If you're considering the Fabspeed mid...seriously, please consider finding a local fabricator/muffler shop. Deleting the secondaries and replacing with an X pipe is a $300 job at most. And it would cost less than $200 to revert back to stock if you ever wanted to, and you'd still be ahead.

Personally, I liked the Magnaflow 14156 mod a lot. Much louder than stock with less drone with valves open. All in, $350 with labor.
      07-30-2021, 04:20 PM   #141
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Quote:

Can you guys chime in?

If you're considering the Fabspeed mid...seriously, please consider finding a local fabricator/muffler shop. Deleting the secondaries and replacing with an X pipe is a $300 job at most. And it would cost less than $200 to revert back to stock if you ever wanted to, and you'd still be ahead.

Personally, I liked the Magnaflow 14156 mod a lot. Much louder than stock with less drone with valves open. All in, $350 with labor.
What is this mod? The picture i have here? Or just chopping the secondary cats?
Attached Images

07-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #142
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes exactly that. Replace secondaries with those resonators and you can run valves open 100% of the time. Doesn't drone at all and less cabin vibrations than stock while still being much louder at WOT.

Here's a video clip of my car:

08-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #143
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes exactly that. Replace secondaries with those resonators and you can run valves open 100% of the time. Doesn't drone at all and less cabin vibrations than stock while still being much louder at WOT.

Here's a video clip of my car:

It sounds great. Did you replace the resonator with that X pipe as well?

Also— i have catless downpipes. Will it still sound fine?

Last but not least— how easy/hard is this welding process? I have a buddy who is somewhat of a snob when it comes to exhausts (he's an engineer who works at renntech) and told me it has to tig welded otherwise it will be terrible.
      08-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #144
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Last but not least— how easy/hard is this welding process? I have a buddy who is somewhat of a snob when it comes to exhausts (he's an engineer who works at renntech) and told me it has to tig welded otherwise it will be terrible.

I did not do the x pipe. The factory resonator is a perforated H pipe with no packing so I didn't see the benefit of doing so. I was trying to kill rasp and stock had enough of it so the resonators were the perfect solution in my case.

I had stock downpipes, and I personally have not heard a single catless F80 that I thought sounded good, so I'd rather not give my opinion on the combo because it's subjective and I'm already biased in the wrong direction. But if I was doing this myself, I'd probably find the equivalent resonator that's longer than the 14156 and weld those in.

I wouldn't worry too much whether it's MIG or TIG. MIG is much uglier but it gets the job done. Plenty of aftermarket exhausts are MIG welded and hold up just fine. But the easy way for a layman welder to do it without worrying about fitting is to just do one side at a time. Weld in the resonator on one side before cutting the other. The bracket and resonator will hold the entire assembly together for you to be able to finish one side and then do the other without needing to test fit it and tack it up first. I did that with mine at a local machine shop that doesn't work on cars at all and it fit perfectly with this method.
      08-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #145
E92TiAg335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I did not do the x pipe. The factory resonator is a perforated H pipe with no packing so I didn't see the benefit of doing so. I was trying to kill rasp and stock had enough of it so the resonators were the perfect solution in my case.

I had stock downpipes, and I personally have not heard a single catless F80 that I thought sounded good, so I'd rather not give my opinion on the combo because it's subjective and I'm already biased in the wrong direction. But if I was doing this myself, I'd probably find the equivalent resonator that's longer than the 14156 and weld those in.

I wouldn't worry too much whether it's MIG or TIG. MIG is much uglier but it gets the job done. Plenty of aftermarket exhausts are MIG welded and hold up just fine. But the easy way for a layman welder to do it without worrying about fitting is to just do one side at a time. Weld in the resonator on one side before cutting the other. The bracket and resonator will hold the entire assembly together for you to be able to finish one side and then do the other without needing to test fit it and tack it up first. I did that with mine at a local machine shop that doesn't work on cars at all and it fit perfectly with this method.
Gotcha. So it seems like i can just take it to a reputable exhaust shop.

I like the sound of these cars with catless downpipes and some of the rasp they produce. Reminds me of my FBO e46 m3.

I just want to hear the actual turbos like my 335 sounded— which means the secondary cats gotta go! I just don't want insanely loud and ugly rasp. Hoping these resonators can just refine that straight pipe sound a bit.
      09-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #146
SanchoDivine
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Someone else on the forum did this and the results were not good. They ended up purchasing the fabspeed midpipe after.

Original thread where they did it and then later posted that they undid it: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1480101

Follow up thread where they bought the Fabspeed pipe: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1482801

They had videos of each set up in the respective threads but those videos are no longer available.

Last edited by SanchoDivine; 09-16-2021 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0