proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP Fully Loaded, MPE

Mineral White F80 Competition Package - Silver 666M's to What Color?

Hi folks,

So, I've got a 2016 F80 w/ Competition package with silver 666 wheels.

I found a shop in PacNW (Portland) who can repair and change the color. Wanted to get feedback from folks on what color would look great.

Thoughts?

My initial thoughts is Satin Black.

thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Gloss black
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
rowdydaoudy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 G80 M3 Twilight Purple 6MT

OEM Shadow version. Most powder coats on these take away from these wheels. Factory shadow is the best option. Mine are silver now and being coated in that version.
arashir164.00
      04-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdydaoudy View Post
OEM Shadow version. Most powder coats on these take away from these wheels. Factory shadow is the best option. Mine are silver now and being coated in that version.
thanks! do you have any pixs of your after you got this done? Or is it literally in the shop or heading into the shop?

I have considered this as an option as well but was looking for other options/opinions.....kinda wanted a unique look but my car is 100% stock to-date...for whatever that is worth.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
rowdydaoudy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gori View Post
thanks! do you have any pixs of your after you got this done? Or is it literally in the shop or heading into the shop?

I have considered this as an option as well but was looking for other options/opinions.....kinda wanted a unique look but my car is 100% stock to-date...for whatever that is worth.
In the shop now getting my airlift installed, then off to powdercoat. I looked at every option as well (mine is OEM ZCP in Speed Yellow) and every color I searched for took away from the depth of the brushed and concavity of the wheels. Mineral white + black windows/brushed IMO would look incredible. They are one of my fav wheels BMW ever created.

Hopefully this helps your decision! Here is what I found for you.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...9&d=1554626984

edit: I have a local shop that specializes in OEM finish repairs and its costing me only $500 to resurface the faces/lips and coat the windows in black (shadow edition). Make sure a shop isnt going to overcharge (if you go this route) to double coat the faces and windows.
      04-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

I have a AW F83, I have the ferric grey 666 wheels.. and they look awesome. its better to trade then to powder coat the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #7
gori
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdydaoudy View Post
In the shop now getting my airlift installed, then off to powdercoat. I looked at every option as well (mine is OEM ZCP in Speed Yellow) and every color I searched for took away from the depth of the brushed and concavity of the wheels. Mineral white + black windows/brushed IMO would look incredible. They are one of my fav wheels BMW ever created.

Hopefully this helps your decision! Here is what I found for you.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...9&d=1554626984

edit: I have a local shop that specializes in OEM finish repairs and its costing me only $500 to resurface the faces/lips and coat the windows in black (shadow edition). Make sure a shop isnt going to overcharge (if you go this route) to double coat the faces and windows.
wow, that's a great deal! Thanks for the image! you know, I think that's what I'm going to go with as well, I do love the steel/chrome face with the dark background. Looks slick and keeps the style of the rims as well.

I'm not very good with the various finishes, so I should let the shop know I want the same face/lips in present finish but repaired and refinished, then have the windows and barrel in black? Will the shop know what "color" shadow edition is? Or would I want to be more specific? I'd hate to end up with a tone of black that's not as great.

Is the shadow edition a gloss finish? Looks quite "shiney" (glossy).

I'm off tomorrow and Monday and plan to call a few places to get some more info/details on this. 1 shop here in Portland said they are running a special for $550 to repair normal dings/curb rash and apply coating. Not sure if the above would be the same price since it seems more complex?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
rowdydaoudy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
wow, that's a great deal! Thanks for the image! you know, I think that's what I'm going to go with as well, I do love the steel/chrome face with the dark background. Looks slick and keeps the style of the rims as well.

I'm not very good with the various finishes, so I should let the shop know I want the same face/lips in present finish but repaired and refinished, then have the windows and barrel in black? Will the shop know what "color" shadow edition is? Or would I want to be more specific? I'd hate to end up with a tone of black that's not as great.

I'm off tomorrow and Monday and plan to call a few places to get some more info/details on this. 1 shop here in Portland said they are running a special for $550 to repair normal dings/curb rash and apply coating. Not sure if the above would be the same price since it seems more complex?
Anytime man! It looks amazing in any color! Yeah, so if you need the lips refinished then ask them for that (when I bought mine, previous owner couldnt parallel park ) . Any shop that does OEM repairs should know if you tell them the wheel model 666M and say shadow. Mine did at least, and its simply gloss black windows.

If they will do it for $550, do it!

Good luck! Post a pic when shes all done!
      04-11-2020, 03:49 AM   #9
tomlong
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Sedan

Are you going to have them 100% finished in one color?

My suggestion would be either satin/gloss black with some of the original gunmetal/silver (can't tell from your pics) left as-is, similar to the theme of the black OEM 437 wheels. I have not seen that done yet on 666 wheels (plz correct me if I'm wrong) and the color combo keeps things tasteful.

Mineral white is much tougher exterior to choose wheel colors for than people would think. Trust me, I know, I have also have a MW too
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 05:16 AM   #10
khnguyen
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:

Were you able to find a shop to do this?

I recently picked up a Mineral White 2017 M3 with Competition package as well and the previous owner unfortunately could not parallel park (or park straight in a spot for that matter) if her life depended on it.

I'm also a fellow Portlander (SW) and am trying to find a good shop that can do the curb rash repair and paint or powdercoat my wheels.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

My M3 is Alpine White.
I like the Stormtrooper look.
I'd pick gloss black for 666 wheels.
Flat black or satin shows dust quickly.