GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

04-04-2020, 12:55 PM   #45
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

There are other alternatives to the CAE style shifter that cost significantly less. They're not bespoke for the F80 specifically, but they can be fitted to work since the basic mechanics of BMW shifters have remained the same. Other brands to check out are IRP, RTD, Coolerworx.

I have long moved on from the CAE shifter to Rogue Engineering SSK. But I still have it, so I might modify it a bit, add a rubber mounting plate, powder coat it black, and reinstall it one day. No doubt the feeling of shifting the CAE was superior to anything I've ever driven; I just didn't care to hear the transmission all the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #46
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Omg. Just got my car back and i have one word to say: AMAZING!

If you thought the s2000 shifter was good, this is 100x better.

I’ll post a better review later when I have more seat time.
Appreciate 1
x.shell6576.50
      04-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #47
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x.shell View Post
There are other alternatives to the CAE style shifter that cost significantly less. They're not bespoke for the F80 specifically, but they can be fitted to work since the basic mechanics of BMW shifters have remained the same. Other brands to check out are IRP, RTD, Coolerworx.

I have long moved on from the CAE shifter to Rogue Engineering SSK. But I still have it, so I might modify it a bit, add a rubber mounting plate, powder coat it black, and reinstall it one day. No doubt the feeling of shifting the CAE was superior to anything I've ever driven; I just didn't care to hear the transmission all the time.
Do you think that the other shifter you mentioned have the same NVH that the CAE has? They are made of fewer parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:11 PM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:

So I take it the Rogue is still streetable but offers a significant improvement over stock? Would you mind posting a brief review? (Sounds like you tried a few).

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:49 AM   #49
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
Quote:

Do you think that the other shifter you mentioned have the same NVH that the CAE has? They are made of fewer parts.
The NVH isn't due to the amount of parts, although I do believe the CAE cage is over-engineered. The NVH comes from the fact that the shifter is directly mounted to the chassis metal on metal. I believe those other brands are mounted the same way.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:57 AM   #50
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:

So I take it the Rogue is still streetable but offers a significant improvement over stock? Would you mind posting a brief review? (Sounds like you tried a few).
I think I did do a review of the Rogue before. Basically, it feels the most OEM out of the other SSKs, but has a shorter throw. It actually uses an OEM BMW carrier but with their socket welded on it to raise the fulcrum. The only thing I didn't like about the Rogue is that it's tilted back at an angle compared to OEM and other SSKs — some people might like this. Initially I wasn't a fan of it, but have since gotten used to it.

I have to disclose that I did cut the Rogue SSK shaft approximately half an inch to lower the shift knob even further.

-----

EDIT: Here is my initial review of the Rogue Engineering SSK.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1538918

-----

Last edited by x.shell; 04-07-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:20 PM   #51
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The NVH isn't due to the amount of parts, although I do believe the CAE cage is over-engineered. The NVH comes from the fact that the shifter is directly mounted to the chassis metal on metal. I believe those other brands are mounted the same way.
It’s odd. Due to your experience of the CAE shifter making noise, I was apprehensive about the install, but after driving it, the noise isn’t that bad at all. I can hardly hear it and my friends also says it’s not bad at all as well. Maybe you are a bit more hearing sensitive than I am or maybe it’s my years Djing in college, but I think it fine. What I do notice is when the car shuts off or turns on, there is some noise like a slight rattle or transmission noise and this is probably due to it being directly mounted to the chassis. Regardless the slight increase in NVH is sooooo worth it. Thank you for helping me make my decision.

BTW I was so apprehensive about the noise that I stole some carpet underlayment from my carpet guys, I’m remodeling a home right now, and asked my installer to install it in my car. They ended up just throwing it away. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #52
Capt Crunch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Regardless the slight increase in NVH is sooooo worth it. Thank you for helping me make my decision.

BTW I was so apprehensive about the noise that I stole some carpet underlayment from my carpet guys, I’m remodeling a home right now, and asked my installer to install it in my car. They ended up just throwing it away. Haha.
Would you take a road trip in it?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:42 PM   #53
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crunch View Post
Would you take a road trip in it?
Yes. As I really can’t tell the difference. But keep in mind that I have a full cat back exhaust and suspension upgrades so there is noise regardless. If you’re in LA you can come check it out!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 01:32 AM   #54
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It’s odd. Due to your experience of the CAE shifter making noise, I was apprehensive about the install, but after driving it, the noise isn’t that bad at all. I can hardly hear it and my friends also says it’s not bad at all as well. Maybe you are a bit more hearing sensitive than I am or maybe it’s my years Djing in college, but I think it fine. What I do notice is when the car shuts off or turns on, there is some noise like a slight rattle or transmission noise and this is probably due to it being directly mounted to the chassis. Regardless the slight increase in NVH is sooooo worth it. Thank you for helping me make my decision.

I'm glad you're loving it. I love it too and I'm leaning heavily towards installing it again; especially now that I have a set of Recaro Sportster GTs waiting to be installed.

The noise isn't loud at all in the grand scheme of things. I mean my RE71Rs were louder than the CAE shifter. My annoyances came late at night while cruising on the freeway. Since I spend a lot of time on the freeway after work, I really wanted my interior space to be comfortable. Believe me, when the car is quiet, you will hear the hum/whirring. It's irritating in a "fly buzzing around you when you're trying to concentrate" kind of way — anyone can ignore it once. But if it happens all the time, it kinda amplifies to the point where you're hyper focused on it and can't think of anything else.

I know, I'm super picky about NVH.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #55
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

x.shell did you end up putting the CAE back in or are you still using the Rogue?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #56
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad you're loving it. I love it too and I'm leaning heavily towards installing it again; especially now that I have a set of Recaro Sportster GTs waiting to be installed.

The noise isn't loud at all in the grand scheme of things. I mean my RE71Rs were louder than the CAE shifter. My annoyances came late at night while cruising on the freeway. Since I spend a lot of time on the freeway after work, I really wanted my interior space to be comfortable. Believe me, when the car is quiet, you will hear the hum/whirring. It's irritating in a "fly buzzing around you when you're trying to concentrate" kind of way — anyone can ignore it once. But if it happens all the time, it kinda amplifies to the point where you're hyper focused on it and can't think of anything else.

I know, I'm super picky about NVH.
Actually, you know what? You are right. There is NVH but it’s not too bad. I was just about to take a longer drive, and since its raining in LA, all the windows were closed. I do hear like a slight rattle/buzzing when in gear and accelerating mixed with some whine when at the higher RPMs. Is that normal? When idling or in neutral, there is no NVH.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #57
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

OOOOOOOk...so I have had this shifter for over 5 months now and here is a quick review.

At first the NVH from the shifter didn't really bother me, but recently due to the pandemic, we gave my wife's parents our family mobile (Audi Q7) to drive to Texas (long story) and we have been driving my car a lot. I usually drive with the windows open and music blasting, so I never really thought that the NVH from the shifter was annoying, but with my wife and kids in the car and the windows closed, ITS ANNOYING. Add that with some stuff suspension, camber plates and noisy tires, I kinda want a new car now. haha

I need to take it back to my installer to see what this annoying buzzing/rattling sound is. There is a hum/whine which is normal, but I don't think the buzzing/rattling is, although the car performs exceptionally.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 08:29 PM   #58
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
OOOOOOOk...so I have had this shifter for over 5 months now and here is a quick review.

At first the NVH from the shifter didn't really bother me, but recently due to the pandemic, we gave my wife's parents our family mobile (Audi Q7) to drive to Texas (long story) and we have been driving my car a lot. I usually drive with the windows open and music blasting, so I never really thought that the NVH from the shifter was annoying, but with my wife and kids in the car and the windows closed, ITS ANNOYING. Add that with some stuff suspension, camber plates and noisy tires, I kinda want a new car now. haha

I need to take it back to my installer to see what this annoying buzzing/rattling sound is. There is a hum/whine which is normal, but I don't think the buzzing/rattling is, although the car performs exceptionally.
If you aren't tracking or autocrossing the car on a regular basis, it's probably better to just go with a normal SSK and be done with it.

I still miss the CAE once in a while but I'm happy with my Rogue Eng SSK.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #59
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you aren't tracking or autocrossing the car on a regular basis, it's probably better to just go with a normal SSK and be done with it.

You said earlier that you modified your rogue engineering ssk right? Which off the shelf SSK would you recommend without modifications?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #60
EvoFire
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:

Mine is sitting in a box and I haven't installed it.

Ever since having a kid I've only been driving the M3 by myself, which is all fine and dandy. We took it out with the kid the other day and all the noise that doesn't bother me all of a sudden are really loud.

Maybe cause I've been autoxing the shit out of the car stock and the tires are very worn now, but the tire hum was excessive on the highway. Compound that with I guess roads that are just of a lower quality, NVH that seemed completely fine when we did 160km/h in Germany seem unbearable at 100km/h in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #61
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You said earlier that you modified your rogue engineering ssk right? Which off the shelf SSK would you recommend without modifications?
I can't recommend any SSK any more because I don't want to take the blame when/if things aren't perfect. There are pros/cons to all the SSKs on the market. Personally, I like the UUC. But people have said their shiftknob doesn't fit straight on the slot or it's too mechanical/notchy?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:06 PM   #62
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can't recommend any SSK any more because I don't want to take the blame when/if things aren't perfect. There are pros/cons to all the SSKs on the market. Personally, I like the UUC. But people have said their shiftknob doesn't fit straight on the slot or it's too mechanical/notchy?
Whoa, are people really blaming you? I find your input for all matters F8x very valuable! Sorry to hear if you are being blamed.

I still love the CAE shifter the more I think about it. The instructions also mention to lubricate the shifter, so I picked up some spray grease and I'm going to try it out. Its fun to tinker.

The noise that I am getting is like a faint fast rattling sound that goes away when I push the clutch in, go into neutral, or stay in 3rd gear. I'm thinking its normal but not sure. I'll keep this posted updated with my findings, but its really only bothersome when my wife and kids are in the car and the windows are completely shut. Doesn't help that there were all these fires recently causing the bad air quality. I don't notice it when I'm driving the canyons or having fun with the car! =)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 03:08 PM   #63
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Mine is sitting in a box and I haven't installed it.

Ever since having a kid I've only been driving the M3 by myself, which is all fine and dandy. We took it out with the kid the other day and all the noise that doesn't bother me all of a sudden are really loud.

Maybe cause I've been autoxing the shit out of the car stock and the tires are very worn now, but the tire hum was excessive on the highway. Compound that with I guess roads that are just of a lower quality, NVH that seemed completely fine when we did 160km/h in Germany seem unbearable at 100km/h in Canada.
Haha. I know what you mean. We purchased this car to be a great dual duty vehicle: daily and track/canyon, but the more we mod to track and canyon, it really becomes worse at the daily part.

Oh well, que sera sera...

Im still enjoying my car, but recently I've been eyeing a 4x4. =)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #64
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ooook, so in order to see if I could make the NVH situation better, I re-read the instructions for the installation of the shifter and saw that it mentioned that the all aluminum shifter should be spray greased once every year or so. Remembering when I was looking at the shifter assembly itself installed on the car, it was spic and span like it came out of the factory. I guess my installer never greased it like instructed in the manual.

So I purchased some white lithium spray grease and sprayed where the instructions said to grease. I also added some sound deadening material around the shifter along with a bit of dynamat to some exposed areas that wouldnt interfere with the shifting. I also installed teflon tape on the shift knob and the screw to secure it on. After all that was done, I can say that the NVH is considerably better. The only way you are going to hear it is with the car windows completely closed, no music and it being silent outside, while driving. At that point, the NVH from the shifter is also compounded with the tire and exhaust noise, so its not that bad. I am a happy camper again.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 09:59 PM   #65
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Ooook, so in order to see if I could make the NVH situation better, I re-read the instructions for the installation of the shifter and saw that it mentioned that the all aluminum shifter should be spray greased once every year or so. Remembering when I was looking at the shifter assembly itself installed on the car, it was spic and span like it came out of the factory. I guess my installer never greased it like instructed in the manual.

So I purchased some white lithium spray grease and sprayed where the instructions said to grease. I also added some sound deadening material around the shifter along with a bit of dynamat to some exposed areas that wouldnt interfere with the shifting. I also installed teflon tape on the shift knob and the screw to secure it on. After all that was done, I can say that the NVH is considerably better. The only way you are going to hear it is with the car windows completely closed, no music and it being silent outside, while driving. At that point, the NVH from the shifter is also compounded with the tire and exhaust noise, so its not that bad. I am a happy camper again.
Kudos. Good to know that your sound deadening efforts have paid off. I've actually planned a whole sound-deadening-regiment myself in case I decide to install it again.

I think the source of a lot of the whirring and humming that annoyed me was amplified by the direct mating of the shifter and chassis; metal on metal. It kind of created a weird harmonic that would get in my head. Perhaps a thin rubber lining between the shifter and chassis mounting plates along with everything you've done will deaden it enough for me to be happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 10:29 PM   #66
tropicatango
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw f87 M2c hockenheim silver

autosolution is a pretty good short shifter kit ....

had one installed on my f80 m3 2015.......had one installed on my f87 m2 monpetition 2 weeks after taking delivery. very happy

for the street it's a solid upgrade, absolutely no noise... but a lot of feeling when shifting
Appreciate 0