BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

10-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #45
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I own both. Ghibli hands down!!
Please, continue. Definitely want to hear your thoughts on this.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 01:42 PM   #46
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I cross shopped a Ghibli with my m3. Maserati wanted STUPID money at the time they said I wouldn't get one for less then $1200 a month. I laughed at that price point. It was nice to drive. . . It definitely does sound way better than the m3, but like a lot of the other comments that's really the only category the Ghibli wins out on.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #47
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Ha a ghibli. You can lease one of those for less than an M3. I find in my area that most people who drive those are the "jersey shore" type who want to walk around the club with maserati keys in their hand hoping to impress snooksters
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #48
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
The Ghibli sounds like Sex. Pretty much everything else sucks.

The M3 sounds like a nitrous fart can running on pressurized burrito extract. Pretty much everything else is sex.

Man ur funny
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #49
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

RowanBuds, 1st I want to say your ED report was one of the best I've read. Took me a while but enjoyed it thoroughly.

Now, concerning the Ghibli, yes it's a superior car to the M3 in all areas...

except when it comes to performance, reliability, technology, interior/exterior quality, etc, etc lol.

I'm just trolling here but what caught my attention while reading this thread was that OP's main reason for starting the post was simply due to some dude appreciated the appearance of the Ghibli or perceived value to be greater than the M3.

1st potential customers considering the Ghibli SQ4, rarely cross shop it against the F80 m3. Only reason to do so is on price & HP but otherwise it's the 5 series, particularly the v8 550. Mind you Maserati needs to do a better job of this and using focus groups to understand their market. But against the 5 series, the front/overall design is more sporty (granted it's subjective), you get much more exclusivity (not as common on the road), better engine in many ways (defn the exhaust tone atleast), and the dealership experience is amazing in that it reminds me of when I got my e46 and e39 - BMW had less ppl walking through their doors so they treated every customer special.

As for the tech being in Dodge, many of the tech in the m3 can be found in 2 series or even the Mini as well. That shoudn't faze anyone. However, reason that it bothers me is that, where as the BMW/MINI infotainment has improved year to year and probably the best in the business now after Tesla, the FCA tech is light years behind. However, I believe the 2017s have been upgraded considerably.

Would I still get it over the 5 series, yes. Especially at the lease rate/monthly that it was going for. However, would I do it again - lease maybe, but there are too many options at that price range for all season sports sedan or even SUV like the Macan GTS.

Now going back to the F80 M3, OP, I get much more compliments on the Ghibli than the M3. Frankly I think it's the badge (as some mentioned) but just as importantly, the appearance. Maybe even the exhaust tone, even though I have AA midpipe with Eisenmann rear but it doesn't compare to the SQ4 factory exhasut. But truth is, apperance wise, the F80 looks too much like the F30 w/mpkg to the avg Joe and here where I live they are dime a dozen. Personally speaking, I prefer the looks of our F80 m3 much more.

My e92 M3, for whatever reason, people could tell right away it wasn't a regular e92. The front was so much more aggressive than the mpkg etc. I was getting tired of seeing my e92 posted all the time on facebook, instagram and all. Kids pulling up beside me on hwys taking pics while going hwy speed. The F80 rarely gets second look which is fine by me. Only guys who appreciate it are the car guys who know the difference. The other day I saw kid explaining the difference between my car and his dads 328. Thought that was certainly cool to watch.

Nway, just my 2 cents folks...
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Last edited by swifty; 10-22-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #50
Powerslide
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty
RowanBuds, 1st I want to say your ED report was one of the best I've read. Took me a while but enjoyed it thoroughly.

except when it comes to performance, reliability, technology, interior/exterior quality, etc, etc lol.

I'm just trolling here but what caught my attention while reading this thread was that OP's main reason for starting the post was simply due to some dude appreciated the appearance of the Ghibli or perceived value to be greater than the M3.

1st potential customers considering the Ghibli SQ4, rarely cross shop it against the F80 m3. Only reason to do so is on price & HP but otherwise it's the 5 series, particularly the v8 550. Mind you Maserati needs to do a better job of this and using focus groups to understand their market. But against the 5 series, the front/overall design is more sporty (granted it's subjective), you get much more exclusivity (not as common on the road), better engine in many ways (defn the exhaust tone atleast), and the dealership experience is amazing in that it reminds me of when I got my e46 and e39 - BMW had less ppl walking through their doors so they treated every customer special.

As for the tech being in Dodge, many of the tech in the m3 can be found in 2 series or even the Mini as well. That shoudn't faze anyone. However, reason that it bothers me is that, where as the BMW/MINI infotainment has improved year to year and probably the best in the business now after Tesla, the FCA tech is light years behind. However, I believe the 2017s have been upgraded considerably.

Would I still get it over the 5 series, yes. Especially at the lease rate/monthly that it was going for. However, would I do it again - lease maybe, but there are too many options at that price range for all season sports sedan or even SUV like the Macan GTS.

Now going back to the F80 M3, OP, I get much more compliments on the Ghibli than the M3. Frankly I think it's the badge (as some mentioned) but just as importantly, the appearance. Maybe even the exhaust tone, even though I have AA midpipe with Eisenmann rear but it doesn't compare to the SQ4 factory exhasut. But truth is, apperance wise, the F80 looks too much like the F30 w/mpkg to the avg Joe and here where I live they are dime a dozen. Personally speaking, I prefer the looks of our F80 m3 much more.

My e92 M3, for whatever reason, people could tell right away it wasn't a regular e92. The front was so much more aggressive than the mpkg etc. I was getting tired of seeing my e92 posted all the time on facebook, instagram and all. Kids pulling up beside me on hwys taking pics while going hwy speed. The F80 rarely gets second look which is fine by me. Only guys who appreciate it are the car guys who know the difference. The other day I saw kid explaining the difference between my car and his dads 328. Thought that was certainly cool to watch.

That's amazing how different of an experience you've had - I actually get way more attention/compliments on my AY F80 vs my Silverstone E93 (a good chunk of that is undoubtedly due to color).

However - color aside - I get way more compliments on how "aggressive" the F80 looks...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 07:31 PM   #51
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words, and the detailed viewpoint - and definitely good to know on the infotainment. btw.. I'm going to check out a Quadrifoglio on Thursday.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #52
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzilla View Post
The other day I pulled in to the gym at the same time as a Maserati Ghibli. I go in and start my workout and a few minutes later a huge brotha comes up to me and asks a question. I pull off my headphones and and hear him as he repeats, "Is that your Maserati?" I shake my head and let him know that it's not but feeling like I let him down I tell him the AY M3 parked across from it is mine. Completely unimpressed he responds, "Oh ok, I thought the Maserati was yours, it's a sweet ride!" I nod in agreement and put on my headphones, back into the percussive bass laden beats. I chuckled to myself as I briefly considered the Ghibli until I read some initial reviews and learned that it shares the same infotainment system as a a Dodge Dart! Anyhow, not hating on the Ghibli, it's an expensive car clearly not targeted at M3 buyers but just found the guy's reaction funny. Any similar stories out there?
I'd take the infotainment system in my JGC over the M3s in a heartbeat!
      10-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #53
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Part of the reason I love Ms as daily drivers is the Q-ship factor. I love that only a few people know/understand what I'm driving and the rest leave me alone. Buying all my cars in gray helps as well. My E39 M5 is the ultimate in this regard. I think the F80 M3 is pretty overt, and gets more attention than I like. The Z4M coupe gets attention, but as it's not a DD I can handle that.

No question, the Maserati names conveys status, as it should. I just hope the company doesn't dilute the name too much. Anyone remember the "Chrysler TC by Maserati"? Geez.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 02:28 AM   #54
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post

No question, the Maserati names conveys status, as it should. I just hope the company doesn't dilute the name too much. Anyone remember the "Chrysler TC by Maserati"? Geez.
What the hell any good is a Maserati without the Ferrari/Maserati engine?!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #55
Jim B
Wingman
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M4 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
What the hell any good is a Maserati without the Ferrari/Maserati engine?!
But if they decided to put a Hellcat motor in one, well 707 HP would definitely up the "Wow" factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #56
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
I'd take the infotainment system in my JGC over the M3s in a heartbeat!
Definitely disagree with this one. I hate touch screens I think it's way easier to operate everything in the BMW without taking my eyes completely off the road. I think touchscreens in cars are silly for this reason, and their fingerprint gravity well tendencies as well.

That said, the sound system in the Jeep annihilates the H/K by a considerable margin.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 05:08 AM   #57
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Quote:
I own both. Ghibli hands down!!
Sorry I respect your opinion but the Ghilbi is by far the worst car I've ever driven
Edit: I saw you were trolling, It had to be

Last edited by erind; 10-25-2016 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #58
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Maserati is too much money and does not hold a candle to AMG or M. Pure brand dilution and brand identity. My buddy asked me why he sees so many Maseratis nowadays. They lowered the price and quality for a more macro approach in the car market
      10-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #59
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erind View Post
Sorry I respect your opinion but the Ghilbi is by far the worst car I've ever driven
Edit: I saw you were trolling, It had to be
Lol read the other posts
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #60
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
We have plenty of Maserati's in my area and I really generally don't bat an eye to them. Not that I'm looking down on that brand in general but I think the pricetag on those cars aren't worth it. You can get a better car with that much cash.

Personal opinion of course I don't think they sound great either. They are so raspy on stock it's just annoying.
      10-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #61
TexasSurgeon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Frozen Black F82

Garage List
2001 BMW e46 325i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Upon sitting in the Ermenegildo Zegna line, I was impressed with the level of attention to detail the vehicle had on its interior. I felt like I was sitting in a suit, or maybe, in a vehicle that was an extension of my suit. After test-drive, I really liked the handling in sense that it "stuck on rails" and the steering was responsive; and, specifically, the exhaust note was quite impressive. But beyond those aspects, M's are far superior.

The Levante...on the other hand...looks really nice.

Test drove the Levante last month. It is pretty nice.

Got one on order for the wifey...

But def agree with all the previous comments on Ghibli's. Not impressed.
      10-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #62
Bonzer103
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Definitely disagree with this one. I hate touch screens I think it's way easier to operate everything in the BMW without taking my eyes completely off the road. I think touchscreens in cars are silly for this reason, and their fingerprint gravity well tendencies as well.

That said, the sound system in the Jeep annihilates the H/K by a considerable margin.
Have to agree Xtabi. I drive both a '15 M3 and '15 GJC Overland and the Jeep in my opinion is the less frustrating of the two (infotainment only, and maybe off road capability). I do like the touch screen for ease of use, but my biggest gripe with the f80 is unreliable connectivity and lag. Not very consistent.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #63
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Thanks for the kind words, and the detailed viewpoint - and definitely good to know on the infotainment. btw.. I'm going to check out a Quadrifoglio on Thursday.
Did you get a chance to see or test drive the car? Would love to hear your feedback.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #64
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did you get a chance to see or test drive the car? Would love to hear your feedback.
No test driving unfortunately. The car was a blue QF with CCB's and 6-speed (which is no longer going to be available for production cars). It was the only car in North America apparently, and is the example that made the auto show and dealership appearances all across the country - it wasn't beat up per se, but the car definitely felt to be lacking in build quality; granted it was a pre-production model, but anyway...

First tactile impression: The steering wheel rim was thin, like Civic thin - didn't feel good in the hand to me on that front but the wheel contours were correct. The center stack nothing to write home about, I am a fan of buttons not touch-sensitive interfaces, and the Alfa with simple dials for climate control was appealing on that front, but not much anywhere else. The full CF seats were not bolstered as aggressively as the F8x, but drivers seat allowed for noticeably more legroom if needed. Sitting in my typical driving position I think the rear seats easily had more legroom than in my F80. The CF interior trim was obviously, hopefully, pre-production as the weave had some easy to distinguish inconsistencies and imperfections.

The full CF vented hood made for great eye candy especially when opened to reveal its beautiful underside. Otherwise, the engine bay like most modern cars was a desert of plastic coverings and nothing much interesting to look at.

The proportions of the car are proper, but to me there is some weird contouring of the side skirts. They are almost non existent behind the front wheels, up to just a few inches to the front of the beginning of the door, then the side skirts quickly pop out from the otherwise well penned lower door bodywork, and finish by tapering back into the sill below the rear door, but terminating well before the rear wheel arch begins. This is to say, the side skirts/sills struck me as very poorly integrated with the rest of the design of the car, Not to mention the nose that just hasn't grown on me at all, while I've been hoping it would.

All in all a good looking car, and the interior will certainly be passable for a factory mule in this segment, as long as fit and finish is improved for customer cars - I will take another look and try a test drive when the 2nd model year cars hit the dealerships, if Alfa makes it that far selling the QF in North America.

Only other takeway is that I really wish I could have heard its heartbeat. The dealership manager wouldn't start the car, even in an empty showroom.....not good for a brand trying to break into this hyper-competitive segment.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:41 PM   #65
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Ha a ghibli. You can lease one of those for less than an M3. I find in my area that most people who drive those are the "jersey shore" type who want to walk around the club with maserati keys in their hand hoping to impress snooksters
Ghibli's are everywhere in nyc and it's sad that most owners think it's exotic lol.

Last edited by ///F80M3; 11-29-2016 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #66
swifty
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
No test driving unfortunately. The car was a blue QF with CCB's and 6-speed (which is no longer going to be available for production cars). It was the only car in North America apparently, and is the example that made the auto show and dealership appearances all across the country - it wasn't beat up per se, but the car definitely felt to be lacking in build quality; granted it was a pre-production model, but anyway...

First tactile impression: The steering wheel rim was thin, like Civic thin - didn't feel good in the hand to me on that front but the wheel contours were correct. The center stack nothing to write home about, I am a fan of buttons not touch-sensitive interfaces, and the Alfa with simple dials for climate control was appealing on that front, but not much anywhere else. The full CF seats were not bolstered as aggressively as the F8x, but drivers seat allowed for noticeably more legroom if needed. Sitting in my typical driving position I think the rear seats easily had more legroom than in my F80. The CF interior trim was obviously, hopefully, pre-production as the weave had some easy to distinguish inconsistencies and imperfections.

The full CF vented hood made for great eye candy especially when opened to reveal its beautiful underside. Otherwise, the engine bay like most modern cars was a desert of plastic coverings and nothing much interesting to look at.

The proportions of the car are proper, but to me there is some weird contouring of the side skirts. They are almost non existent behind the front wheels, up to just a few inches to the front of the beginning of the door, then the side skirts quickly pop out from the otherwise well penned lower door bodywork, and finish by tapering back into the sill below the rear door, but terminating well before the rear wheel arch begins. This is to say, the side skirts/sills struck me as very poorly integrated with the rest of the design of the car, Not to mention the nose that just hasn't grown on me at all, while I've been hoping it would.

All in all a good looking car, and the interior will certainly be passable for a factory mule in this segment, as long as fit and finish is improved for customer cars - I will take another look and try a test drive when the 2nd model year cars hit the dealerships, if Alfa makes it that far selling the QF in North America.

Only other takeway is that I really wish I could have heard its heartbeat. The dealership manager wouldn't start the car, even in an empty showroom.....not good for a brand trying to break into this hyper-competitive segment.
Thank you. I need to see one also. I'm in love with the looks and want to hear the exhaust but I can't see myself buying one over the M3. Lease maybe.
Appreciate 0