Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

18' 440xi vs 16' M3 vs 17' 540xi

Thinking of switching my M3 for a 440xi coupe. Will I regret it? Reason is simply that with other cars around the M barely gets driven. When I do drive it, I definitely do not drive it as M's are intended to be driven. I don't track either.

So I started thinking; why pay for the M when I don't really use it to its full potential and it's more just show off than anything else. Plus, I want to get into leasing and get rid of finance as I don't like paying the heavy interest M's come with anymore. Lease I don't care about interest as I won't be owning the car anyway.

Another car I am contemplating throwing into the mix is a new 17' 540xi. Basically the M is a show-off machine which rarely gets out of the garage. It's confusing for me as I have always had M's or AMG's and this would be a first time to get something non 'power' oriented but then at the same time I am trying to think practically if it makes sense having a just for the sake of it.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
Thinking of switching my M3 for a 440xi coupe. Will I regret it? Reason is simply that with other cars around the M barely gets driven. When I do drive it, I definitely do not drive it as M's are intended to be driven. I don't track either.

So I started thinking; why pay for the M when I don't really use it to its full potential and it's more just show off than anything else. Plus, I want to get into leasing and get rid of finance as I don't like paying the heavy interest M's come with anymore. Lease I don't care about interest as I won't be owning the car anyway.

Another car I am contemplating throwing into the mix is a new 17' 540xi. Basically the M is a show-off machine which rarely gets out of the garage. It's confusing for me as I have always had M's or AMG's and this would be a first time to get something non 'power' oriented but then at the same time I am trying to think practically if it makes sense having a just for the sake of it.

Thoughts?
Sure, it makes sense from a financial perspective and possibly for the purpose of the car (you don't state if the M3 is DD, but I'm guessing not). The "problem" is that once you are expecting a certain feel and performance from a car, it becomes difficult to change. I drove non-M BMWs from 1999 - 2004 (and thought they were fantastic), when I purchased my first (and still favorite) M, an E39 M5. It was a DD (now garage queen) so I didn't need all the performance on a daily basis, but the car felt so much more special at any speed. I knew there were going to be no more non-Ms for me (SUVs/utility vehicles excepted). Now, if you are not driving the thing anyway, it's a moot point.

GL
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

M3 to 440i will feel like a downgrade for sure. I don't know your financial situation, but most likely trading in your F80 for a '18 440i will probably end up costing you more in the end compared to if you just kept the F80. And in the end, you pretty much paid to downgrade.

Even if my math above is wrong, the competitors in that $50-60k segment are much better. The new Audi S4/5 or AMG C43 are way more interesting options compared to a 340i.
Appreciate 1
Draper3460.50
      05-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #4
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input so far. I think financially speaking I'll pay same or a perhaps a little less than what I am paying now on a lease term vs finance term. The up side would be after the lease is up I can just return the vehicle without worrying about depreciation or interest that I paid. With financing because I am paying significant interest (3.9%) a large portion of payments goes towards that and at the end of the term I can do a buyout on the balloon payment or continue paying interest and monthly payments. So there seems to be a larger financial obligation with financing during and at the end of it.

So basically for the time being I'll pay same or insignificantly less monthly to lease a 'lesser' car vs financing the M and have to deal with the buyout later. Technically speaking money isn't really the main concern and the whole reason I got to thinking this is if I am not driving the car as much as I should be to it's full potential then it's sole purpose is being a status symbol.

I guess I need to figure out if that status symbol aspect and more fun of driving the M whenever I do drive every now and then is worth the extra financial obligations. Free funds are always good especially since I wouldn't mind putting more $ towards other investments. It's a bit of a tough one for me to be honest. I guess those of you who have had the 440 or the equivalent and now have the M or vice versa, what are your opinions about both vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Reason is simply that with other cars around the M barely gets driven.
Other cars around? It isn't clear what your situation is. You have a fleet of vehicles at your disposal?

Quote:
So I started thinking; why pay for the M when I don't really use it to its full potential and it's more just show off than anything else.
I can definitely get behind doing a little introspection, admitting that you made a purchase primarily for what could be classified as shallow reasons, owning that, and reevaluating. So kudos to you.

Quote:
Plus, I want to get into leasing and get rid of finance as I don't like paying the heavy interest M's come with anymore. Lease I don't care about interest as I won't be owning the car anyway.
This line of reasoning seems to miss out on how leases work (how they are a money making proposition for the lessor rather than throwing money away). You owe it to yourself to take the time to read up and understand the mechanics of a lease.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:

Thoughts?
Just don't man, you will regret it. Even if you don't drive the M to its max potential (I am like you BTW), it's still an awesome daily driver and you have the power if and when you need it. Don't shoot yourself in the foot brah!
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Did you test drive the 440?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #8
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Don't do it....the 440xi is an understeer machine and will feel so docile compared to your M. I had a 335xi and wouldn't go back unless financially forced to
      05-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #9
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I guess I should try the 440 as that should be the first step. AWD will help in Alberta winter..even though as I stated I can always drive other cars in winters. That being said I did get a winter set for the M3 and drove it when I wanted to even in snow. So while AWD is definitely an asset it's not a must.

Would the 540xi be better than 440xi? Wouldn't the heavier weight make it feel even more sluggish?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #10
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Other cars around? It isn't clear what your situation is. You have a fleet of vehicles at your disposal?

I can definitely get behind doing a little introspection, admitting that you made a purchase primarily for what could be classified as shallow reasons, owning that, and reevaluating. So kudos to you.

This line of reasoning seems to miss out on how leases work (how they are a money making proposition for the lessor rather than throwing money away). You owe it to yourself to take the time to read up and understand the mechanics of a lease.
We have 7 vehicles between 4 people so lots of times I take out whatever is in front of me. Plus I have been spending a lot of time at my downtown condo which is right by work so I find myself walking everywhere or riding my motorcycle.

Ya, it's about time I face the reality I suppose. Definitely was not a fiscally smart purchase but more emotional than anything else. Which is the only reason I am struggling right now and every time I think I have decided on downgrading, I get confused and change my mind.

I definitely want to lease and know how they work. One of the main reasons is also that I switch cars way too often for it to make sense on financing them. In the last 2 years or so I have had a W204 C63 AMG, E92 M3, E70 X5M and now the F80 M3. To me it appears that if I lease and know that there is a set period of time that I need to keep the car for and then be able to switch, I may stop this ridiculousness of switching cars so fast and not lose as much money by financing them.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
We have 7 vehicles between 4 people so lots of times I take out whatever is in front of me. Plus I have been spending a lot of time at my downtown condo which is right by work so I find myself walking everywhere or riding my motorcycle.

Ya, it's about time I face the reality I suppose. Definitely was not a fiscally smart purchase but more emotional than anything else. Which is the only reason I am struggling right now and every time I think I have decided on downgrading, I get confused and change my mind.

I definitely want to lease and know how they work. One of the main reasons is also that I switch cars way too often for it to make sense on financing them. In the last 2 years or so I have had a W204 C63 AMG, E92 M3, E70 X5M and now the F80 M3. To me it appears that if I lease and know that there is a set period of time that I need to keep the car for and then be able to switch, I may stop this ridiculousness of switching cars so fast and not lose as much money by financing them.
For a particular car I project 6 years of leasing (3+3) vs 5 years of financing and keeping for 6 years before selling. If you plan to keep your car for more than 6 years it makes sense to finance an M3. If not, then leasing might be a more attractive choice, because the small additional cost of leasing is mitigated by the fact that you will not be out of warranty and you will have a new car in 3 years. Of course, it makes more financial sense to finance a dependable car for more than 6 years, but that's not much fun, is it?

Personally, I don't need AWD living in LA, so a 440xi doesn't make sense to me, but I do like the GC in general. If you want to save money the 440i might be a good choice, but you are not gaining much room going from an M3 to a 440 and you would be losing a lot of driving dynamics. I'd rather go to a 5 series or X5, but the savings wouldn't be as much as an incentive.

Another option is waiting for the next M3 which is rumored to be AWD.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

^Thanks for that puts things in perspective somewhat. Another option I have been thinking about is to keep the F80 for a little while longer as it has only been around 5 months since I have had it. And they were winter months. But wait until the price comes down when it'll be easier to sell privately. Then sell it when I actually get bored of it (which I will) around 2 years into the term. That way I don't pay as much interest on it, enjoy it, able to sell privately and hopefully break even at the very least and then lease something different.

Might be a potentially good option...

This all being said a M2 or even cheaper M240i are plausible options as well I guess...not sure what people feel about those.

Last edited by ksa; 05-25-2017 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 02:51 AM   #13
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

The only BMW I would downgrade from an M3 is an M240 or M2. You will be disappointed with a 440 imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 04:59 AM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

get rid of the m3, use one of your other 6 cars or your motorcycle
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 12:30 AM   #15
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Thanks for the input so far. I think financially speaking I'll pay same or a perhaps a little less than what I am paying now on a lease term vs finance term. The up side would be after the lease is up I can just return the vehicle without worrying about depreciation or interest that I paid. With financing because I am paying significant interest (3.9%) a large portion of payments goes towards that and at the end of the term I can do a buyout on the balloon payment or continue paying interest and monthly payments. So there seems to be a larger financial obligation with financing during and at the end of it.

So basically for the time being I'll pay same or insignificantly less monthly to lease a 'lesser' car vs financing the M and have to deal with the buyout later. Technically speaking money isn't really the main concern and the whole reason I got to thinking this is if I am not driving the car as much as I should be to it's full potential then it's sole purpose is being a status symbol.

I guess I need to figure out if that status symbol aspect and more fun of driving the M whenever I do drive every now and then is worth the extra financial obligations. Free funds are always good especially since I wouldn't mind putting more $ towards other investments. It's a bit of a tough one for me to be honest. I guess those of you who have had the 440 or the equivalent and now have the M or vice versa, what are your opinions about both vehicles?
I hope you realize that you DO pay interest (aka money factor, or "MF") when leasing and the best MF you can hope for is equivalent to about 3.5% APR (as of now).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

I don't track my car more than once per year but I completely enjoy the M every day even just driving around doing normal errands. I love the looks, the power dome, the feel, the handling, the brakes, it's all is very rewarding.

I will happily pay the premium of this car for these reasons. I guess it comes down to enjoyment. If you don't find the value in it then go for it but once you drive a car at this level it's hard to step down to something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #17
VanosKickedInYo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
M3 to 440i will feel like a downgrade for sure. I don't know your financial situation, but most likely trading in your F80 for a '18 440i will probably end up costing you more in the end compared to if you just kept the F80. And in the end, you pretty much paid to downgrade.

Even if my math above is wrong, the competitors in that $50-60k segment are much better. The new Audi S4/5 or AMG C43 are way more interesting options compared to a 340i.
I 2nd this.

I am not a big fan of Audi but the New S5 would be a much better Value than the 440ix if you're able to snatch a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep

I will look at other options. Thanks guys for the input. I have made up mind to pass on the 5 and 4 series for sure though. I am thinking of looking into Mercedes and Audi as well and obviously of keeping and enjoying the M is always there.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
I will look at other options. Thanks guys for the input. I have made up mind to pass on the 5 and 4 series for sure though. I am thinking of looking into Mercedes and Audi as well and obviously of keeping and enjoying the M is always there.
Just my opinion, but you need to cast the net wider to Ford (GT350) Chevy (Vette GS or Z06), Dodge (Hellcat) and Porsche

You have many other cars for DD usage, so go for it and get something focused on fun....
Appreciate 0