EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #23
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Not gonna lie, I'm in talks for a 2015 Pearl White GTR, if the price is right, I'm trading my '13 ZCP....
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #24
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
The real solution is to get a 4 post lift to add one more car, just don't have a forklift to remove the damn thing from the freight truck.
LOL...real world problems

If your looking to go low profile, im sure the GT3RS gets a ton of attention, go with the M3/M4. Ive gotten more comments on my GT-R in two months than I did in 14 years of owning M3s
That's bc you look like Paul walker! Rofl!!!

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #25
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
It shouldn't matter how many looks you get in the car. Get whichever you're most passionate about. Isn't the m3 a better dd?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Since the new M3's going to be turbo, might as well get the GTR. It's a beast and I love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #27
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
The GTR is all about the numbers. If I was in a race for money it would certainly be my weapon of choice. It is a very easy car to drive very fast.

In terms of daily enjoyability, however, the M3 can provide a lot more sheer fun at semi-normal speeds as well. It is still objectively fast, but has the subjective characteristics that contribute to driving enjoyment as well.

There really is a phenomenon such that a car is simply too capable to enjoy on public roadways. Part of the enjoyment of driving is not just the knowledge that you car can do a sub-11 1/4 mile, but all of the sensations your body and brain experience when you drive. A GTR's limits are so high that these sensations can not be experienced except on a racetrack or airstrip. Not to mention that the noises it makes are most displeasureable.

I have also come to realize that a manual gearbox is just so much more enjoyable than a dual clutch. Sure the shifts are fast, but after that novelty wears off, it is just an automatic, and any idiot can blip paddles all day long.

So....if you want ultimate bragging rights and/or the objetcively faster vehicle, get the GTR. If you want the more fun, subjectively more enjoyable vehicle, get an M3/4 with a manual gearbox.

For me, so long as they are made, my fun car will always be normally aspirated, moderately powered, and manual gearbox. That eliminates the next M3/4. Audi R8, Porsche 911 or Cayman, Aston Martin Vantage are the current contenders for my M3 replacement..but that is still a ways off. I am still completely loving my M3.
Talk about a post full of assumptions and conjecture! How on earth do you know the next M3 will be fun to drive and enjoyable? Plenty of things are changing on this car! Turbo engine, electric steering, etc. Given the negative reviews of the F30 3 series, for all we know, the next F80 M3 might turn out to be a turd! Besides, even if it turns out to be good, I would have a very hard time recommending it over the much cheaper yet much better C7 Corvette. That's unless you really want the practicality of a 4 dr sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #28
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
LOL...real world problems

If your looking to go low profile, im sure the GT3RS gets a ton of attention, go with the M3/M4. Ive gotten more comments on my GT-R in two months than I did in 14 years of owning M3s
In our hospital parking the badge gets attention. You could have the best vette it is still a Corvette. So I think the GTR would be fine in that sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #29
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
It shouldn't matter how many looks you get in the car. Get whichever you're most passionate about. Isn't the m3 a better dd?
thats the truth
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #30
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The GTR is all about the numbers. If I was in a race for money it would certainly be my weapon of choice. It is a very easy car to drive very fast.

In terms of daily enjoyability, however, the M3 can provide a lot more sheer fun at semi-normal speeds as well. It is still objectively fast, but has the subjective characteristics that contribute to driving enjoyment as well.

There really is a phenomenon such that a car is simply too capable to enjoy on public roadways. Part of the enjoyment of driving is not just the knowledge that you car can do a sub-11 1/4 mile, but all of the sensations your body and brain experience when you drive. A GTR's limits are so high that these sensations can not be experienced except on a racetrack or airstrip. Not to mention that the noises it makes are most displeasureable.

I have also come to realize that a manual gearbox is just so much more enjoyable than a dual clutch. Sure the shifts are fast, but after that novelty wears off, it is just an automatic, and any idiot can blip paddles all day long.

So....if you want ultimate bragging rights and/or the objetcively faster vehicle, get the GTR. If you want the more fun, subjectively more enjoyable vehicle, get an M3/4 with a manual gearbox.

For me, so long as they are made, my fun car will always be normally aspirated, moderately powered, and manual gearbox. That eliminates the next M3/4. Audi R8, Porsche 911 or Cayman, Aston Martin Vantage are the current contenders for my M3 replacement..but that is still a ways off. I am still completely loving my M3.
I think you are absolutely right! I really enjoy my wife MX-5. You have the sensation of driving fast without actually going fast. The GT3RS is very similar except it is going fast. But even at half throttle it feels fast and feels like a race car (with all the compromises)
My problem with the GTR is the rear seat space, front clearance for winter driving and sometimes I need a decent trunk.
I would love to have the speed but I do not really need it. On the track I enjoy the challenge with the RS, it is a more difficult game to play than the GTR - I think.
Basically just need a new toy, especially since my wife got a new car just a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #31
AlteredBe4st
First Pride
Rep
Drives: M4

GTR all day.
      02-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #32
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

my choice was between a used 2011 gtr black edition and ordering a new 2013 ZCP M3 Coupe MT. I got the M3, right decision for me. Aesthetically the gt-r doesn't do it for me and they've not restyled it better sofar, especially the interior and the very subdued front. Between a V6 FI and a V8 NA I had to get he V8 NA. I knew it would be subjectively more fun, and i love that my car requires some skills to enjoy it. It's not just a charging bull, it asks to be driven faster if you provoke it and has multiple ways to enjoy it. I believe that the gt-r ecu is maximizing torque distribution and taking so much throttle control out of the driver to maximize the car's performance that even though it is hyper fast, you don't get the feedback and predictability and linearity that let's you learn and appreciate the car. I feel the communion goes deeper in the M3.
I would prefer a gt3-rs over a gt-r especially a pearl black one.

Last edited by V8FunNaturally; 02-14-2014 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:27 AM   #33
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
All us white guys look the same with a hat on

Seriously though, didn't buy this car to get looks, as others have implied. The appearence, performance, and exclusivity (less than 8k made thru 2013) just drew me in. The attention, honestly, came as a total shock to me. I don't take that into account when I purchase a car, or Id have owned an Aztec by now
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:29 AM   #34
The Nash
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3; 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
It shouldn't matter how many looks you get in the car.
If that were true we'd all be driving a Prius
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #35
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
Quote:

Talk about a post full of assumptions and conjecture! How on earth do you know the next M3 will be fun to drive and enjoyable? Plenty of things are changing on this car! Turbo engine, electric steering, etc. Given the negative reviews of the F30 3 series, for all we know, the next F80 M3 might turn out to be a turd! Besides, even if it turns out to be good, I would have a very hard time recommending it over the much cheaper yet much better C7 Corvette. That's unless you really want the practicality of a 4 dr sedan.
Speaking of assumption, how in the world do you know the C7 Vette is much better then a car that's not even been reviewed yet!!?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:38 AM   #36
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
I think this is the biggest reason why I'm excited for the M4. Going from DCT to Manual.

Manual is a must option for me, so I've ruled out a good bit of other cars. 991 C2S would prob be awesome, but its a little much $ for me right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #37
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Is a gtr even fun as a daily? The interior is nissan and besides as a daily would you be able to even attempt to put the power down?

If youre in Mexico i guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #38
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
All us white guys look the same with a hat on

Seriously though, didn't buy this car to get looks, as others have implied. The appearence, performance, and exclusivity (less than 8k made thru 2013) just drew me in. The attention, honestly, came as a total shock to me. I don't take that into account when I purchase a car, or Id have owned an Aztec by now
Aztecs get attention now thanks to that one show. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #39
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Is a gtr even fun as a daily? The interior is nissan and besides as a daily would you be able to even attempt to put the power down?

What's wrong with the interior? Seems to me just as good as an M3 interior. And as far as power is concerned, none of these cars can be fully utilized on the streets anyway, so that point is moot.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
Quote:

What's wrong with the interior? Seems to me just as good as an M3 interior. And as far as power is concerned, none of these cars can be fully utilized on the streets anyway, so that point is moot.
There are folks who think a small plastic rectangular bit in the new IS is hideous. Yet a huge square of plastic in the gtr is acceptable
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #41
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

I actually liked gtrs in the 90s and then was excited when it came to the US. Now its no longer special to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #42
attila
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineE92M3 View Post
Not gonna lie, I'm in talks for a 2015 Pearl White GTR, if the price is right, I'm trading my '13 ZCP....
Could you fine a good deal? Boulder Nissan is $1500 over invoice for the 2015 models (except Nismo)
My deal would be 2k off MSRP. Not too excited about that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #43
Petros
Banned
Rep

Quote:
There are folks who think a small plastic rectangular bit in the new IS is hideous. Yet a huge square of plastic in the gtr is acceptable
What square plastic? You mean the center dash board switches?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #44
AlpineE92M3
Currently Driving
Rep
Drives: BPM tuned '13 AW ZCP E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Could you fine a good deal? Boulder Nissan is $1500 over invoice for the 2015 models (except Nismo)
My deal would be 2k off MSRP. Not too excited about that.
Still in talks, let ya know what the deal is if it goes through. More trying to get what I want for my trade than the sticker price on the GTR. I''m not gonna just give my M3 away, I am only going to trade if they give me good money for it.
Appreciate 0