European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-04-2019, 02:55 AM   #1
Divowatts
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Drifting right

So my M3 has started randomly drifting right (I didn't hit any pot holes). the back tires were worn so I replaced them, the car still drifts right. I am not really sure who is even capable of doing an alignment on this car reliably, I don't use the dealership unless I 100% have to. I have heard that there are issues with right drift in general, and that it needs to be flashed to rectify this issue. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divowatts View Post
So my M3 has started randomly drifting right (I didn't hit any pot holes). the back tires were worn so I replaced them, the car still drifts right. I am not really sure who is even capable of doing an alignment on this car reliably, I don't use the dealership unless I 100% have to. I have heard that there are issues with right drift in general, and that it needs to be flashed to rectify this issue. Any ideas?
The cars aren't aligned once they leave the factory, so your car could be in need for an alignment. It wouldn't hurt, and doesn't cost that much. Truline have a good reputation.

Try swapping the tires left/right and see if it's still there, then it's either steering or alignment.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fackamato View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divowatts View Post
The cars aren't aligned once they leave the factory, so your car could be in need for an alignment. It wouldn't hurt, and doesn't cost that much. Truline have a good reputation.

Try swapping the tires left/right and see if it's still there, then it's either steering or alignment.
EPS flash fixed mine. On center feel and turn in was much better also
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
How do you get the dealer to do that? Service bulletin, what are the symptoms etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How do you get the dealer to do that? Service bulletin, what are the symptoms etc?
So my car was a new 3018 M3 CS. It had a pretty bad right hand drift issue. They tried all the normal stuff swapping wheels and tires left to right , two different alignments, and at one point wanted to replace the left front steering knuckle which I was not crazy about. I told them about the TSB flash for right hand drift compensation flash I saw in this forum and they originally told me it was not compatible with the CS which did not make sense to me because the architecture is the same. They finally did locate the flash code and the difference was day and night. Let me look for that thread and I'll send it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So my car was a new 3018 M3 CS. It had a pretty bad right hand drift issue. They tried all the normal stuff swapping wheels and tires left to right , two different alignments, and at one point wanted to replace the left front steering knuckle which I was not crazy about. I told them about the TSB flash for right hand drift compensation flash I saw in this forum and they originally told me it was not compatible with the CS which did not make sense to me because the architecture is the same. They finally did locate the flash code and the difference was day and night. Let me look for that thread and I'll send it.
Here you go....

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=21930584
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
fackamato
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks, bookmarked. I'll try that route after alignment.
Appreciate 0