R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #23
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
The problem is something like ride comfort is so hard to define, what feels comfortable through the seat of the pants for one person may be uncomfortable for another.

Like all of these amateur reviews, whilst I have no doubt the testers are doing there best, I take them with a pinch of salt.
Sorry but I don't agree. Ride comfort is something that is completely tangible - less harshness and overall far more comfortable - I think we would all be able to recognise that. I am comparing a UK 16 car with mine. Nick's is a much earlier US car.

So you think being an amateur, I am incapable of telling the difference? And someone that is paid to do this can?

Well best you just read what the pro's say then.......
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #24
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Btw, for Christ sakes don't post this on m3cutters. There will be a riot after what I was reading on there last night.

If you say anything even slightly derogatory about the standard car......
Point is Andy, the standard car (as it is right now - and let's be clear about this), is a great car. It's just different. Which appeals to you is a personal thing and I urge people (who didn't order blind :-) ) to try both.

Hell, what do I know - I'm only an amateur and so actually know didly squat?

Oh and PS you probably saw my answer to last night. Tolerance level after 19 hours of being was low.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #25
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Point is Andy, the standard car (as it is right now - and let's be clear about this), is a great car. It's just different. Which appeals to you is a personal thing and I urge people (who didn't order blind :-) ) to try both.

You know that anyone with any degree of common sense values your opinion and appreciates your time and effort with your reviews and videos.

Thing is, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Some people will never agree or even respect a point of view.

Keep the great reviews coming........

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #26
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

My view of the comp pack is, and ive only driven it once for a 10 minute period, is that it felt firmer on the suspension, but was more compliant, in that it took square edged bumps better, ie it soaked up more of the bad stuff, compared to my 2015 standard car. I wonder if these chaps are noticing this also, but are saying that its just comfier ?.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #27
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Sorry but I don't agree. Ride comfort is something that is completely tangible - less harshness and overall far more comfortable - I think we would all be able to recognise that. I am comparing a UK 16 car with mine. Nick's is a much earlier US car.

So you think being an amateur, I am incapable of telling the difference? And someone that is paid to do this can?

Well best you just read what the pro's say then.......
Oh dear it seems I have touched a nerve and my post was not meant to do that.

I totally disagree that one persons perception of comfort is the same as anothers and I think that has been borne out by the opposite perceptions to yours from over the pond.

Anyway we will just have to agree to disagree on this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #28
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
My view of the comp pack is, and ive only driven it once for a 10 minute period, is that it felt firmer on the suspension, but was more compliant, in that it took square edged bumps better, ie it soaked up more of the bad stuff, compared to my 2015 standard car. I wonder if these chaps are noticing this also, but are saying that its just comfier ?.
Interesting. When was your car built? People have reported that damper settings have improved after software updates and I'm wondering whether this is the case. i think BMW have updated the suspension software - would explain everything (along with reports of Cutters after update of massively improved damper performance).

What people need to understand is that I drove a brand new 16 car - we know that they have updated them. The point of this was not to compare older cars with the CP but a new one.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #29
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You know that anyone with any degree of common sense values your opinion and appreciates your time and effort with your reviews and videos.

Thing is, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Some people will never agree or even respect a point of view.

Totally agree, Guys reviews are very good and I enjoy them very much but like any review they are subjective and do not constitute the last word.
Appreciate 4
      06-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #30
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Exactly my point Sir, Comfy is too subjective to properly quantify especially between two very similar vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #31
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M SPORT

Quote:

theres always one lol, its opinions and personel prefence as heard said on here , I'm sure something else will be after the CP then people will be giving amateur lol woo hoo, opinions ,as thru time you learn or agree or disagree unless your born and expert on M cars
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #32
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh dear it seems I have touched a nerve and my post was not meant to do that.

I totally disagree that one persons perception of comfort is the same as anothers and I think that has been borne out by the opposite perceptions to yours from over the pond.

Anyway we will just have to agree to disagree on this point.
BUT you not comparing like with like???!!!!!!! When will people start to bloody understand that M3/4's have changed over the course of their life with constant updates to not only hardware but firmware, let alone geo differences.

Honestly - I give up.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:42 PM   #33
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Interesting. When was your car built? People have reported that damper settings have improved after software updates and I'm wondering whether this is the case. i think BMW have updated the suspension software - would explain everything (along with reports of Cutters after update of massively improved damper performance).

What people need to understand is that I drove a brand new 16 car - we know that they have updated them. The point of this was not to compare older cars with the CP but a new one.

Guy,
My standard M4 was a Sept 14 build, registered in Jan 2015, but i had the software update done around Oct/Nov 2015, then drove a comp pack around April this year very briefly, and this was a stand out feature for me, i even muttered it under my breath to the salesman sat next to me. Whatever other folks opinions are, i thought it was a good alteration to the car, and i sit here patiently awaiting my new comp pack. The other noticeable features for me, were the exhaust note, definitely deeper and slightly louder than stock, and of course the fab burbles, pops and coughs in sport mode, and i also felt the seats felt more supportive, in that, i felt more sat into them if you will, and the shoulder supports were more supportive. Maybe the holes allow what appears to be more depth in the side bolsters ?.
Every time i see a comp pack now, the wheels seems fresher, not better, but fresher than the 19s. Im sold on the comp pack, for me it is a no brainer, when you also consider the more perceived grip and road holding from the diff adjustments, along with the roll bars, dampers and DSC settings. Whats not to like for the £3k option price ?.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #34
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BUT you not comparing like with like???!!!!!!! When will people start to bloody understand that M3/4's have changed over the course of their life with constant updates to not only hardware but firmware, let alone geo differences.

Honestly - I give up.
I think that is probably best.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #35
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:

Totally agree, really enjoyed all of the reviews you have done Guy and really looking forward to the new vid..

I actually read the same stuff on M3 cutters last night and was a little shocked, the hate for the cp car is actually quite funny... No one can say the wheels are nice without getting abused..
      06-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #36
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
Totally agree, really enjoyed all of the reviews you have done Guy and really looking forward to the new vid..

I actually read the same stuff on M3 cutters last night and was a little shocked, the hate for the cp car is actually quite funny... No one can say the wheels are nice without getting abused..
so true but they our nice...

Last edited by nibbsy999; 06-22-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #37
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

All this comparison over little things convinces me I did the right thing - bought without any test drive because I have full confidence in BMW making great cars and then greater cars with each iteration. And that's also why I change frequently to keep up. It's difficult enough picking colours and options let alone trying to arrange test drives back to back, same route, same tyres, same wear, same settings, same mood, same confidence, same weather...for me at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:01 PM   #38
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post

At least this is a thread where someone has not posted up ONLY for the point of slagging off CP alloys. Yes, we get the fact some people do not like them, fine. But certain people seem to want to remind everyone of this on EVERY CP thread, on that certain forum.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #39
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I think that is probably best.
There are many things I could say to this but won't. There are amazing people on this forum (which is why I did the first video for Andy) but then there are others....

You are making an argument on cars that are not the same and that you have never driven.

But hell what do I know, I've only just driven them back to back for some 6 hours? And I just think I can tell the difference between whether a bump is harder or softer. Hmmm... or can I? Oh wait, a lower profile tyre and stiffer ARB's is going to mean a more comfy ride. It's all in the perception...

Enjoy your new car when you get it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #40
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
At least this is a thread where someone has not posted up ONLY for the point of slagging off CP alloys. Yes, we get the fact some people do not like them, fine. But certain people seem to want to remind everyone of this on EVERY CP thread, on that certain forum.
Actually Andy, I've got no problem with the Cutters lot. They are a nice enough bunch of guys who banter and it's all part of it. They say what they feel which is fine. We have arguments but we move on. It's true there are some that have just repeatedly gone on about the wheels (which I why i got fed up yesterday) but that's their opinion and they quite often do it to see who will bite!

it's a good site with a lot of knowledge.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #41
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
There are many things I could say to this but won't. There are amazing people on this forum (which is why I did the first video for Andy) but then there are others....

You are making an argument on cars that are not the same and that you have never driven.

But hell what do I know, I've only just driven them back to back for some 6 hours? And I just think I can tell the difference between whether a bump is harder or softer. Hmmm... or can I? Oh wait, a lower profile tyre and stiffer ARB's is going to mean a more comfy ride. It's all in the perception...

Enjoy your new car when you get it.
You seem to get upset very easily

Not exactly sure what you want, your reviews are very good, I have stated that on several occasions but when someone dare questions some of your findings you take offence.

Ride is all in the perception as you say and I find it hard to understand why you do not appreciate that others have differing views as to what constitutes a more comfortable set up.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #42
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You seem to get upset very easily

Not exactly sure what you want, your reviews are very good, I have stated that on several occasions but when someone dare questions some of your findings you take offence.

Ride is all in the perception as you say and I find it hard to understand why you do not appreciate that others have differing views as to what constitutes a more comfortable set up.
Look I'm not saying that. I appreciate other views but they are not driving the same cars as I did. Please please try and understand that. I can only give an opinion of the two cars I drive. All I am trying to say is that they are different cars and so please accept that there could be differences between them and thus to discount what I am saying because it is at odds with what was said in the States is a little unfair.

I don't want to end what has been a long day filming for the benefit of people here on a low and so I wish you a very (genuinely) good night.
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #43
Indie4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 E92 DCT

Guy, great review and I like many really appreciate your efforts. You are a true petrolhead and go far beyond what anyone else would do for your passion and interest. I think people have to put into perspective that whether you have a CP or Non CP it doesn't really matter. I am sure there are many who have aspired to owning one! They are M cars, hardly crap!

Keep her lit! 👍
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #44
nibbsy999
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indie4 View Post
Guy, great review and I like many really appreciate your efforts. You are a true petrolhead and go far beyond what anyone else would do for your passion and interest. I think people have to put into perspective that whether you have a CP or Non CP it doesn't really matter. I am sure there are many who have aspired to owning one! They are M cars, hardly crap!

Keep her lit! 👍
totally agree well said just owning one good for me , depends what a person wants from car just like putting certain specs on the car M3 M4 M5 M2 person choice and preference be so boring if everybody liked the same thing
Appreciate 16