ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-29-2016, 04:47 AM   #67
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post

shut up mate. you're not helping...
surely an essex boys car is not complete unless it upsets old people and needs throttle management when passing plod!

to pinch a quote from Nick murrays new video a car is fast enough when you can drive it at its limit on public roads (ok maybe not legally) but on an empty B road (closed to public traffic of course) i can usually flat out my M4 to 100 mph without too much drama, another 20% would be nice and still usable. he was talking about his new 911 purchase and said a GT4 for him is pointless as he could never use the full power and it would be frustrating driving at 50% all the time. he likes to work his cars and really squeeze every ounce of power out of them hence he is looking at carrera s instead. I do see his point if its mainly for road use.

back to the MPE shelling out that sort of cash would be better spent on noise that you can appreciate every day than an ACS tune that will as you say only add a small percentage to the power, plus if its making more noise then the butt dyno says your going faster
      06-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #68
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbooo View Post
surely an essex boys car is not complete unless it upsets old people and needs throttle management when passing plod!

to pinch a quote from Nick murrays new video a car is fast enough when you can drive it at its limit on public roads (ok maybe not legally) but on an empty B road (closed to public traffic of course) i can usually flat out my M4 to 100 mph without too much drama, another 20% would be nice and still usable. he was talking about his new 911 purchase and said a GT4 for him is pointless as he could never use the full power and it would be frustrating driving at 50% all the time. he likes to work his cars and really squeeze every ounce of power out of them hence he is looking at carrera s instead. I do see his point if its mainly for road use.

back to the MPE shelling out that sort of cash would be better spent on noise that you can appreciate every day than an ACS tune that will as you say only add a small percentage to the power, plus if its making more noise then the butt dyno says your going faster
all very good points there mate. you're right I never ring out all the power of my current cars, as I would run out of talent way before they topped out. but what I do want is that incredible boost and stomach stopping feeling when you plant your foot on the straight. the F10CP I had really gave that feeling, but it was so damn big and heavy and broke traction so easily I could rarely use even 80% of the power. yes I did many high speed runs and a couple of track experiences and runway blasts and it felt epic, but on public roads, you were limited to barely 50% of it's capabilities. plus I lost my licence while driving this car, so it had to go!

I love the looks and driving feel I get from the M3 so just a few minor tweaks and improvements in sound, theatre and mid range torque would make it perfect. i'm going to open up my mind again to the MPE as that made such a difference in fun factor when I had my M135 with MPE, that made me and the kids laugh out load so many times with it's pops, bangs and crackles .

Have you looked deeper into a JB4 or other tune? have you heard any horror stories about blown engines/trannies and other expensive parts that BMW wont cover if a tune is in place?

our US friends tune pretty much all their cars and I haven't read anything yet about problems with their cars post tune...
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 05:17 AM   #69
Jimbooo
UK F82 owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY16 F82 M4

Quote:
all very good points there mate. you're right I never ring out all the power of my current cars, as I would run out of talent way before they topped out. but what I do want is that incredible boost and stomach stopping feeling when you plant your foot on the straight. the F10CP I had really gave that feeling, but it was so damn big and heavy and broke traction so easily I could rarely use even 80% of the power. yes I did many high speed runs and a couple of track experiences and runway blasts and it felt epic, but on public roads, you were limited to barely 50% of it's capabilities. plus I lost my licence while driving this car, so it had to go!

I love the looks and driving feel I get from the M3 so just a few minor tweaks and improvements in sound, theatre and mid range torque would make it perfect. i'm going to open up my mind again to the MPE as that made such a difference in fun factor when I had my M135 with MPE, tha made me and the kids laugh out load so many times with it's pops, bangs and crackles .

Have you looked into a JB4 or other tune? have you heard any horror stories about blown engines/trannies and other expensive parts that BMW wont cover if a tune is in place?

our US friends tune pretty much all their cars and I haven't read anything yet about problems with their cars post tune...
i took an F10 M5 for a 24 hour test drive and do appreciate what youre saying. boring to 60mph then it unleashed hell, i think i even experienced the star trek warp speed vision thing when your peripheral vision turns into a tunnel of blur lol decided id kill myself or worse someone else so declined proceedings and went with the M4.

Ive looked into JB4 bang for buck its 100% the best option to add and no i havent heard any horror stories about blown engines etc but im the kind of person that tends to be a pioneer in anything that can go wrong - does. i cant help remember the Noble M12 i bought for 24K when i was 21, drove it for 3 years over 40,000 miles and spent almost another 20K fixing it. i drove it to its limits all the time and broke something or other pretty much every month. including engine, diff, gearbox, 8 (yes 8) exhaust manifolds and both turbos lol i moved to BMW because i knew i could abuse it and it would all be covered under warrenty.

there is a myth going round that you can simply remove the plug in tune for service or if something breaks but these cars log everything. its pretty simple for a BMW tech to notice that the boost pressure was above the maximum oem limit when whatever damage occurred meaning it had a tune at the time.

i dont think im brave enough to take the financial gamble
      06-29-2016, 05:21 AM   #70
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
hmmmm me too this week. it makes all the noise but lacks the guts and punch.

if only we had our M5 engine back and could put in it the M3 body
It's weird though as sometimes it feels really quick and quite thrilling, but other times it's just not??
      06-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #71
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
...........but now I do want my M3 to be a bit hyper/scary.....
Turn TC fully off and learn to drive it without - if you want scary.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #72
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:

I need help
And this is something you have only just realised. I'd like more power but equally I can't justify 3.5k as much as I love all things ACS. That's just too much.

A wallop of torque would really help things though, especially on the motorway - get a bit fed up of having to drop 2 gears....
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #73
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
errrrm, no thanks. not on the public roads but yes that is one way to keep your hunger for more boost and penis fizz factor in check!

have you tried this yet is your new whip Andy? have you felt her bite you yet?
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #74
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
And this is something you have only just realised. I'd like more power but equally I can't justify 3.5k as much as I love all things ACS. That's just too much.

A wallop of torque would really help things though, especially on the motorway - get a bit fed up of having to drop 2 gears....
Its only dropping one more than the 335d.

I used to drive all the time on Drive/auto in the 335d, and it would drop a gear if it needed to for overtaking.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #75
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:

I am reminded from time to time by my other half and kids. oh but when they want something new from me it's a different story!

my mates think i'm mad wanting to mod and spend money on the M3 instead of the Porsche. but I feel I need and want to mod the M3 more than the TTS...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:51 AM   #76
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:
...........but now I do want my M3 to be a bit hyper/scary.....
Actually it's not scary at all and takes the car to another level in terms of gathering pace. It is sooooo much faster with DSC off (and a right giggle). The downside was the shock when I realised on Monday that my rears at 4.5k aren't to going to last long.

Okay and there is the fact that all safety nets are taken away so you have to treat the car with utmost respect.

Clearly that's only in the dry. Wet is MDM all they way...
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #77
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex
Quote:

I am reminded from time to time by my other half and kids. oh but when they want something new from me it's a different story!

my mates think i'm mad wanting to mod and spend money on the M3 instead of the Porsche. but I feel I need and want to mod the M3 more than the TTS...
I can understand that. Still playing with suspension but no question I'm getting more traction over bumpy stuff now so make better forward progress
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 06:53 AM   #78
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
errrrm, no thanks. not on the public roads but yes that is one way to keep your hunger for more boost and penis fizz factor in check!

have you tried this yet is your new whip Andy? have you felt her bite you yet?
No, still driving pretty steady and getting used to the car. No driven it that much TBH due to a bad back.

Be nice when I get the RIS done to give it some beans - if I can wait that long!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #79
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Clearly that's only in the dry. Wet is MDM all they way...
I haven't even contemplated activating MDM. Is there a benefit in doing so on public roads? I mean it sounds great but there isn't much room on our roads and I don't even want to get close to a kerb or grass verge - much happier in the middle of the road.

Or am I missing out?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #80
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
I haven't even contemplated activating MDM. Is there a benefit in doing so on public roads? I mean it sounds great but there isn't much room on our roads and I don't even want to get close to a kerb or grass verge - much happier in the middle of the road.

Or am I missing out?
I'm only teasing Damien and Andy. I would NEVER advise someone to activate them without first trying it off HM Highways. Dumbfounds me why BMW don't do days when they sell these cars.

To answer you question, MDM on the later cars is a lot more restrictive than it used to be. Old MDM used to give you a fair slip angle before it decided to help out. It WAS possible being a dumbass to spin. BMW clearly felt that they needed to reign it in and have done so. My test last week showed that the standard car is a bit looser than the CP and a stab of the throttle in MDM in the dry could provoke oversteer at roundabout. In the CP, it was almost nonexistant.

Now what MDM will do is allow to diff to come into effect a lot more rather than quelling power. So you make progress forwards at a quicker rate but you have to accept there could be some corrective slip to deal with.

Can you spin in MDM mode still? I managed at Bedford but I had to really upset the car moving from left to right hander at about 80mph and be unrealistically dumb.

Now move things to the wet and will MDM save you? It will save you looking a muppet and swapping ends immediately (which with DSC off, it's very easy to do). But no question you have to treat the car with respect. It will let you 'explore' the car more. Don't think it'll stop you fishtailing down a wet road if you are careless with the throttle.

BUT it starts to open up the chassis and expose just how lovely the car can be without being reigned in.

DSC off is very different and I use it more sparingly but it's monstrous in the dry, especially on the CP.

Now there is a question for stating that one shouldn't be driving at those kind of speeds in this car on HM Highways to find the difference. I actually couldn't disagree more. Point is it's not about straight line blat and neither is it about driving everywhere sideways, it's about feeling the car and this can be done at lower speeds without endangering anyone (including your shiny new toy!!).

Anyway. My point is three fold. No. 1 - don't go playing with MDM until you really know the car and preferably find somewhere off the road to first play with it. No. 2 - yes, the car is great once you start to release the electronic nannies but you have to accept that with that comes responsibility. Back to the good old days of learning to modulate your right foot. AND most importantly No. 3 - don't let any of this banter or anything that people say goad/encourage you into trying these out without first learning.

Last edited by gtsussex; 06-29-2016 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
      06-29-2016, 10:25 AM   #81
notused
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: none

Thanks for the thorough reply, gtsussex.

I'm sure most of us learned to drive without even ABS so it makes sense to try and enjoy the car without all these gadgets but then a M3 is nothing like those 80s/90s cars. It's just surprising to read on forums how people have set MDM in either M1 or M2 as if it is something used often.

Off to find a car park now...

Edit: On second thoughts, off to find an airfield now...

Last edited by notused; 06-29-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #82
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDpetrol View Post
Thanks for the thorough reply, gtsussex.

I'm sure most of us learned to drive without even ABS so it makes sense to try and enjoy the car without all these gadgets but then a M3 is nothing like those 80s/90s cars. It's just surprising to read on forums how people have set MDM in either M1 or M2 as if it is something used often.

Off to find a car park now...

Edit: On second thoughts, off to find an airfield now...
I've got MDM on M1 and use it 70% of my driving. I think you would be surprised how friendly the car really is. It got a bad wrap for its behaviour when launched but it's much better now. Doesn't mean I have to drive everywhere flat out but I prefer it to TC on as whilst it is EONs better than earlier cars, it still holds it back.

Airfield is a good call. I am sure plenty (including me) would benefit (and enjoy) an airfield day with some instruction. You can never have enough instruction...
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #83
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Anyway Guy, wheres this video you were going to make on last weeks fun and games with that yellow M3?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #84
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Anyway Guy, wheres this video you were going to make on last weeks fun and games with that yellow M3?
Funnily enough, I'm just trying to cut it. Mic went wrong on GoPro so having to work around it.

Been a little busy with work up to this afternoon. Got one for RS suspension to do as well...
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #85
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyali86 View Post
Next time you are around Glasgow give me a shout and I will let you hear mine.

Don't have MPE but Paulwelder modded my exhaust and it sounds MUCH MUCH better
I have seen this Paulwelder knocking around on the socials and was very interested in his mod. what's your experience of the whole thing
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #86
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Funnily enough, I'm just trying to cut it. Mic went wrong on GoPro so having to work around it.

Been a little busy with work up to this afternoon. Got one for RS suspension to do as well...
Looking forward to it Guy.

So you got the RS suspension on? I must of missed that.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #87
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99
Quote:

Looking forward to it Guy.

So you got the RS suspension on? I must of missed that.
To be honest Andy, I've not had time to post up a thread - work hell at mo.
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2016, 03:22 PM   #88
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

No worries Guy.......

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe