EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #23
bensaawn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

ahhaha this is the greatest first world problem post i've ever read
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat
e90potential, absolutely not. I don't drive like an idiot. All I'm saying( if you read the thread) is that's it's frustrating with this much power on hand to be stuck behind other vehicles and not be able to do anything about it.

Where are you getting that I was changing lanes multiple times without an indicator? Where is that coming from?
What I was trying to get to is that if you were to drive like an a-hole tailing people, changing lanes multiples times without indicator or just trying to go absurdly fast, it's going to piss off people. Of course not implying you did any of that.

M cars performance potential is tough to explore on US roads with speed limits IMO. And I say that having owned previous M3's and upcoming M5. Track days and auto crosses are the best places to enjoy our wonderful M cars.
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #25
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algol
The M3/4 is really too quick for the road sadly. At least in Atlanta I feel the only time ill be able to really drive the car in anger is on the track. I do get your frustration because I have no idea what the limits of this car are. I think im going to have to sign up for a track day soon.
...and you should! You'll experience a whole other side of the car where you can truly appreciate the engineering at work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
i agree OP...

I will be driving on the highway doing 80-90 MPH in the fast lane and there will be a car doing 55 in the next lane over and they will just change into my lane for no reason at all. I just dont understand the constant lane switches and going slow in the fast lane and the infectious hazard lights on in the rain!

I recently spent 3 weeks in Europe and the other poster was correct in that everyone hauls ass over there and pays more attention to what they are doing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #27
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algol View Post
The M3/4 is really too quick for the road sadly. At least in Atlanta I feel the only time ill be able to really drive the car in anger is on the track. I do get your frustration because I have no idea what the limits of this car are. I think im going to have to sign up for a track day soon.
I don't think if you drive your car in anger on a track you will get very far, the first agressive corner you take most likely could be the one where you transition from a driver into a passenger in your vehicle.
      11-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #28
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
IMHO... automative enthusiasts should not live in the Northeast... it's too clogged and the roads/laws are far too restricting. In a place like NYC, I wouldnt even have a car.
You have to be UPSTATE NY to appreciate the roads...miles upon miles of the best curves and straights in the country...Catskills, Adirondack's,Green Mountains...just to name a few.

Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Monticello..tracks we have them also...just to name a few

When you live in upstate NY you are out of the cities into the country in 15miles and 20 minutes...doesn't get much better than that.
      11-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #29
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post
You have to be UPSTATE NY to appreciate the roads...miles upon miles of the best curves and straights in the country...Catskills, Adirondack's,Green Mountains...just to name a few.

Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Monticello..tracks we have them also...just to name a few

When you live in upstate NY you are out of the cities into the country in 15miles and 20 minutes...doesn't get much better than that.
Sounds like being in the Texas Hill Country - some of the greatest driving roads in the world
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
Vigilant
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cautiously fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
This F80 M3 has got to be one of the most frustrating cars to drive around town (non-highway) that I have ever owned. Driving around yesterday to get gas and do a few highway blast I found myself behind drivers who do there absolute best to obey speed limits, cut in front of me to slow me down (POS Prius owner, since when are these people the road nannies) It seems like people see me in there rear view mirrors and automatically step on there brakes. I had to follow a Dodge Durango 5.9 RT, whatever the F**k that is, for about 6 miles on a one lane road. He absolutely refused to go 2 miles over the speed limit, probably because he was out of gas. As you can see I was so bored following him that I remembered what kind of car he had.

On the other hand, when I finally was able to get on the Parkway, I won't mention which one, the reason we buy these cars was all there. Fast, handling better than anything that I can remember driving, that beautiful sound in wide open throttle, and just blowing by all cars with a few blasts (and I admit a few foot to the floor blasts, just for passing not very long)
made me smile.

And now the funny part, I noticed in one of my blasts (for lack of a better word) a Cadillac Escalade trying to stay with me. What is wrong with these people? After losing him and then waiting for him to catch up I noticed his girlfriend or wife was none to pleased with his shenanigans. She was screaming at him, so I let him pass me only to make eye contact with him, and he reminded me of the guilty puppy in the picture on the internet.

It's always fun on Sunday mornings to go for a ride in these machines, but also frustrating. Thanks for reading, and letting me vent.
I will tell you that the best/worst thing I did was take my M3 delivery at the PCD in South Carolina. We tossed the PCD's M3s around on the closed circuit without coming close to the ceiling of the vehicle. I am right there with you regarding frustration with the M3 as a daily driver. In Florida, we have the same issues regarding driver courtesy...it's no coincidence that there are a lot of NY/NJ transplants in our area.

2022 BSM G80 Comp X-drive
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #31
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Sounds like being in the Texas Hill Country - some of the greatest driving roads in the world
When I get my car back from Europe (next week hopefully) im going to send you a message recommending the best roads to take. I've driven all around lake Travis and know there is so much more to see.
      11-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #32
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels View Post

My wife's family is from Rochester and I was shocked at how beautiful some of the surrounding areas are.
      11-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

This is one of the truest post on here in a while. It seems like people go slow on purpose just to piss you off. And then of course I turn into "that driver" when I blast past them the first chance I get.

And yes, ED changed my perspective on speed. We need an Autobahn type road in the U.S. BAD. Hell, just leave the roads as is and make us take approved classes and pay a ridiculous fee to be exempt from speed limits.
      11-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #34
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damasconian View Post
My wife's family is from Rochester and I was shocked at how beautiful some of the surrounding areas are.
The Finger Lakes area of NY is some of the most beautiful and unknown ( most people) to a majority of NY travelers.
Unless your visiting Cooperstown (Hall of Fame), Cornell (Ithaca),or Watkins Glen (track, The Gorges & wine tours) you have no idea what beauty (to say nothing of the challenging roads).
Personally I enjoy the Adirondack's best ;Lake George, Lake Champlain, Speculator, Lake Placid,Ect.....but that has more to do with my motorcycle passion than anything
      11-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #35
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
Suspectishatless, I agree with those drivers probably being elderly or handicapped or whatever. Listening to the music is what I do when stuck behind someone. But listening to music doesn't make it any less frustrating. And not all of these drivers are elderly, maybe I'm paranoid but I had the distinct feeling that some of them were intentionally driving slowly or slowing down when they saw me in there rear view mirror approaching them, not at an unsafe or very fast speed.

I'm positive that the Prius driver saw me coming and turned into the lane I was driving in and then slowed down, and I wasn't flying down the road before everybody says I was.
That was me in the Prius. You better slow it down sonny.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #36
E36toF30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
That was me in the Prius. You better slow it down sonny.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #37
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
This is one of the truest post on here in a while. It seems like people go slow on purpose just to piss you off. And then of course I turn into "that driver" when I blast past them the first chance I get.

And yes, ED changed my perspective on speed. We need an Autobahn type road in the U.S. BAD. Hell, just leave the roads as is and make us take approved classes and pay a ridiculous fee to be exempt from speed limits.
No, what we need is people who (a) don't believe that their right to sit in the fast lane regardless of how minutely faster than they might be traveling than the car in the next lane over is a constitutional right that will only be ripped from their cold dead hands (to paraphrase Mr Heston); and (b) actually think about things like traffic flow. Number one cause of traffic jams? People who don't think about slowing a vehicle by just lifting the foot off the gas but who have to brake. I agree with Clarkson that anyone that touches the brake pedal in flowing traffic ought to be shot. (what it of course leads to is the guy behind you braking suddenly with increasingly sharp/sudden braking down the chain until, with no actual reason/cause at all, everyone will brake so much they stop about a mile behind you)

I could probably rant about this for an hour. I probably have at various points in my life. I essentially refuse to live far from the downtown core or commute by car most days because having to deal with that kind of traffic insanity would kill me. Way happier to take an LRT to work.

Beyond maddening.

/rant
      11-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #38
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

OP: wait till you get that jerk who wants to drive slow in front of you cuz his Camry sucks and if he's not having fun, you're not having fun. And by the way, it's time to wash his windshield just as you pull behind him. Free car wash (spots) for your recently cleaned M.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #39
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I've driven in London, France, and Germany. If I told you people in London were better about getting out of the "passing lane," I'd be lying to you. However France and Germany were significantly more courteous and immediately let you pass if you needed to pass.

I hate people that are inconsiderate and block the passing lane like they own it. Probably hate them more than people that key cars and valet workers that abuse vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #40
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Roadkiller, already happened except for the windshield washing bs, he probably didn't have any windshield wiper fluid.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 07:25 AM   #41
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Agreed, says this U of R grad, but I digress. Yes upstate has great roads, just have to watch out for Bambi around that next corner!
      11-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #42
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Agreed, says this U of R grad, but I digress. Yes upstate has great roads, just have to watch out for Bambi around that next corner!
Her father is RIT grad, and ex-Kodak man (of course). The moved to Colorado when my wife was 4 so she grew up there but we head back to Rochester as much as possible. Really great people up there.

We actually made the drive from Houston to Rochester 3 years ago. Wont be doing that in the M4, even if it would me there faster.
      11-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #43
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Quote:
Her father is RIT grad, and ex-Kodak man (of course). The moved to Colorado when my wife was 4 so she grew up there but we head back to Rochester as much as possible. Really great people up there.

We actually made the drive from Houston to Rochester 3 years ago. Wont be doing that in the M4, even if it would me there faster.
Very cool.

Wegmans, Country Sweet and of course Nicks - "home of the garbage plate", were all my favs growing up just outside of Roch.

I'm actually heading up there for Thanksgiving this year to visit my mom who is still brave enough to handle the winters there.

Thanks for sharing your family(wife) history with me, Rochester was a great place to grow up and get an education. Sad about Kodak though, they did so much for the people of Rochester but never had the foresight to see digital coming as fas as it did.

Last edited by shortseller; 11-13-2014 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #44
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Very cool.

Wegmans, Country Sweet and of course Nicks - "home of the garbage plate", were all my favs growing up just outside of Roch.

I'm actually heading up there for Thanksgiving this year to visit my mom who is still brave enough to handle the winters there.

Thanks for sharing your family(wife) history with me, Rochester was a great place to grow up and get an education. Sad about Kodak though, they did so much for the people of Rochester but never had the foresight to see digital coming as fas as it did.
Way off topic and I apologize to the OP but....

I laughed at people that told me how great Wegmans is (its just a supermarket?) until I went there. And the fact that Kodak had the worlds first digital camera but sat on it may be the worst management decision of the last 40 years. Great company, just mismanaged.

The Rochester car culture is fascinating to me. For a small city, I see so many great cars. From the classics to modern day muscle, it has it all. He was a lifelong Vette man and owned C2's, 3, 4, and is about to sell his C5 and put his car collecting days behind him. Corvettes arent as easy to drive when you hit 70.

Finally, the coolest BMW I have seen was in Rochester, and I see it every year. In the neighborhood where we stay a family owns a early 90's model 540 Wagon, in blue, with a manual. When I first saw it I honestly knocked on his door to say hello. Anyone with a car like that is bound to welcome you in.