Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

04-14-2020, 05:38 PM   #1
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bagged M3

Turner Motorsport High Flow Catted Downpipes

Hello Everyone,

I've tried looking for videos or even a review for this downpipe. Anyone on here has it installed? Its the cheapest option for a catted DP.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ted-downpipes/

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 05:41 PM   #2
dcpatters
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4

Yeah, I am in the same boat. Not sure of the quality of the catalytic converter itself. For example, if they will break apart after a short time.
Appreciate 1
bmpclc7.50
      04-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpatters View Post
Yeah, I am in the same boat. Not sure of the quality of the catalytic converter itself. For example, if they will break apart after a short time.
The company and product look great at an affordable price. My birthday will be during coronavirus and the wifey approved this purchase lol. Once I get a solid review or video ill pull the trigger and maybe post a detailed review.
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      04-14-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

The price point of these downpipes tells me they used a low quality cat that will fall apart within a few months. A pair of quality cats alone probably costs over $600. Best to buy a quality pair right off the bat instead of having to buy a second set of downpipes later and pay for all that labor
Appreciate 2
      04-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Turner has been around a while selling parts and track racing. Looks like they've got a manufacturer making product for them. Why not email them and ask about the warranty on the cats. If your worry is part failure then a warranty takes care of it. Note there is no mention of "off road only", but they do say it may put something on your dash that requires a tune to make go away.

I just installed a set of hi-flows from Evolution Racewerks two days ago. My BPMSport tune is not set to correct any errors. My dash is happy! I don't dare say the 3 words for fear of bad juju. If you want good quality cats at a great price just PM our buddy (thanx Mike@X-PH!). The price was so good I could add the ceramic coating and stay under budget.

PS: with hi-flow cats I notice significantly more turbo spool sound coming from my factory airboxes (with BMCs) including the whole middle RPM range now.

-TJ
      04-14-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Turner has been around a while selling parts and track racing. Looks like they've got a manufacturer making product for them. Why not email them and ask about the warranty on the cats. If your worry is part failure then a warranty takes care of it. Note there is no mention of "off road only", but they do say it may put something on your dash that requires a tune to make go away.

I just installed a set of hi-flows from Evolution Racewerks two days ago. My BPMSport tune is not set to correct any errors. My dash is happy! I don't dare say the 3 words for fear of bad juju. If you want good quality cats at a great price just PM our buddy (thanx Mike@X-PH!). The price was so good I could add the ceramic coating and stay under budget.

PS: with hi-flow cats I notice significantly more turbo spool sound coming from my factory airboxes (with BMCs) including the whole middle RPM range now.

-TJ

I believe turner motorsport is a good brand and ill reach out to them. I'll post the response here. I really want a catted downpipe to reduce the gas smell.

I'll contact Mike as well, I really want something that won't break the bank too.

I'm very excited to hear some spooling, I have k&n drop-in filter,bm3 stage 2, Magnaflow exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

That’s such a steal of a deal. Get them before they jack the price
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 11:38 PM   #8
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanedriver View Post
The company and product look great at an affordable price. My birthday will be during coronavirus and the wifey approved this purchase lol. Once I get a solid review or video ill pull the trigger and maybe post a detailed review.
Is the wifey buying it also for you because that would be win win vs just win

That price cannot be right. I would buy and just give it a go. Looks well made and with the flex joint also.
      04-15-2020, 12:46 AM   #9
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

I love Turner Motorsports stuff, they seem like a company full of BMW enthusiasts that make great quality stuff without tacking on the M Tax.

One "downside" to these downpipes is that the installation requires unbolting the engine mount and raising the whole engine in order to install them. Other than that they seem like a steal, 200 cell metal cats and a flex joint. You usually see those expansion bellows on higher-priced downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 06:35 AM   #10
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post
I love Turner Motorsports stuff, they seem like a company full of BMW enthusiasts that make great quality stuff without tacking on the M Tax.

One "downside" to these downpipes is that the installation requires unbolting the engine mount and raising the whole engine in order to install them. Other than that they seem like a steal, 200 cell metal cats and a flex joint. You usually see those expansion bellows on higher-priced downpipes.
Bit more work but only need to undo 6 bolts and raise it an inch. Even doable on stands I reckon.
      04-15-2020, 11:13 AM   #11
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Is the wifey buying it also for you because that would be win win vs just win

That price cannot be right. I would buy and just give it a go. It looks well made and with the flex joint also.
My wife was laughing when I showed her your response. I'm in the win-win and hell be buying it for me.

I'll probably pass on the turner Motorsport if I have to take the engine bolt out.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Bit more work but only need to undo 6 bolts and raise it an inch. Even doable on stands I reckon.
Definitely doable on jack stands, I lifted my whole engine from the bottom when I dropped the subframe on my ISF to do the headers using an RV jack. Not my proudest moment but it worked and I'm still alive.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #13
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My wife was laughing when I showed her your response. I'm in the win-win and hell be buying it for me.

I'll probably pass on the turner Motorsport if I have to take the engine bolt out.
Like MR RIZK said, it's just an extra step and you only need to lift the passenger side motor about an inch or so for clearance, not as daunting as it sounds. I wouldn't write these off just because of that. Are you going to be doing the install or a shop?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #14
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumbAS55 View Post
Like MR RIZK said, it's just an extra step and you only need to lift the passenger side motor about an inch or so for clearance, not as daunting as it sounds. I wouldn't write these off just because of that. Are you going to be doing the install or a shop?

I usually try to install it myself if it's not too complicated but what's the going rate on shop install? Does the engine mount on having to be lifted for this DP or it's for every DP install?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #15
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I looked up the install guide and it really doesn't look hard at all. Would people be interested in doing a stock and new turner DP video comparison?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 01:47 PM   #16
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

My concern is that they state in the information that it could cause a CEL. The low price is concerning too as HJC or equivelent cats are expensive and generally are sold for much more money. I assume the high flow cats in these are merely there to cut down on smell and not to maintain emissions readiness.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 02:31 PM   #17
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWNashville View Post
My concern is that they state in the information that it could cause a CEL. The low price is concerning too as HJC or equivelent cats are expensive and generally are sold for much more money. I assume the high flow cats in these are merely there to cut down on smell and not to maintain emissions readiness.

I called and they stated the cat is emissions test legal.

Out of all the M owners I'm surprised no one has installed this DP to get a legit answer. People buy fake eBay products all the time lol
Appreciate 1
///Mvy43.50
      04-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #18
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I called and they stated the cat is emissions test legal.

Out of all the M owners I'm surprised no one has installed this DP to get a legit answer. People buy fake eBay products all the time lol
Ppl tire kick all the time haha but yes other hfc’s don’t require the engine lift so that’s one thing. No longer a true diy now
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #19
e2d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

I actually just ordered these along with a VRSF single midpipe and chargepipes. I'll be putting them on probably in the next week or two and will let everyone know if I run into any complications. More than likely I'll get the CEL, but got the bootmod3 for that.
Appreciate 1
dcpatters250.00
      04-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #20
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2d View Post
I actually just ordered these along with a VRSF single midpipe and chargepipes. I'll be putting them on probably in the next week or two and will let everyone know if I run into any complications. More than likely I'll get the CEL, but got the bootmod3 for that.
Keep us posted!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #21
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice man good looks keep us posted on this and best of luck
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:48 PM   #22
fastlanedriver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to the review on the DP! I'll be pulling the trigger on it as well and try the install at home!.

Let's hope this is a good budget DP.
Appreciate 0