Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Firmware/Software Versions

So, after reading about the improved traction control with the latest software on M3cutters UK forum and while my car was in for service, I asked to get the latest update because of abrupt power loss from an overly aggressive traction control and for iDrive glitches.

Got my car back today and just got back from a decent drive and wanted to give my thoughts on the various changes and differences.

I'll start with the most important for me and my main reason for having it done...

Traction/Stability control... Much improved. The intervention (especially for traction control comes in later and when it does it is more progressive and not abrupt. Please keep in mind though that I did all my testing in MDM mode as I only use full on mode when it's raining out.

In S3 mode, I was actually able to chirp the tires a little from 1st to 2nd without the system kicking in and to my surprise no abrupt buzz kill. I was also able to take a 90 degree corner from a rolling stop much faster and without as much intervention and was able to still get a little slip angle. When the system did kick in it was mild and recovered quicker than before.

Overall, very much improved. I no longer feel the need to get Euro code MDM coding. It now feels like both systems are working to help you and not be a buzz kill.

Exhaust note / burble overrun... Sorry guys, but I just don't hear anything different. Maybe an extra pop here or there, but nothing consistent and no noticeable change to tone or loudness.

DCT... When I was first driving it home from the dealer, it felt a little dumbed down, but after driving it tonight, it feels just about the same to me now. I was mostly in S3 and D3, so I can't speak for the other modes. Maybe it just had to readapt to driving style.

Adaptive suspension... If any of you have read my previous posts on the M suspension, you know I am not a fan of its rebound damping at all and over all am quite disappointed with the damping tuning for an M car. Maybe it is placebo effect from being in an X6 loaner for a week, but it feels a little more buttoned down now and a little more controlled. Still not enough for me to not go with coil-overs, but my SOP feel says it's a little better.

Herky / Jerky 1st gear in Sport+ throttle... You can still induce the herky jerky motions (like one would feel if letting a clutch out to fast and not giving it enough gas) however it takes more for it to be induced and is overall more smooth in 1st gear.

iDrive... It feels more fluid and faster, not much else to report there.

There might be other changes, but that's all I have noticed so far. My dealer said it took about 5 hours for the whole process, as they updated all the modules to the most current.

You can't just go into a dealer and ask for an update, you have to have a reason that they will authorize, but if you can do it, DO IT!!!!
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 12
Graves1130.00
svr2132.00
lavon0.00
dezzracer1173.50
      05-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #2
Der
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Just like I said.... 2016 software brought a decent amoujt of improvements. But people in the zcp topic didnt believe me
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:45 AM   #3
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

Great read, when was this software released?

My car is November build, could it have the latest version?
Appreciate 1
Smiler1.50
      05-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #4
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der
Just like I said.... 2016 software brought a decent amoujt of improvements. But people in the zcp topic didnt believe me
My car is a 2016 and its original version was actually pretty old. So it's not a "2016" change, it's more of a very recent revised release.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #5
jm600rr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8C Coupe

I tried to get my dealer to update the software during my last service and they refused. Wanted I think $225. Is it worth it if you have to pay for it?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #6
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0

From
What I understand from the M3 Cutter forum, this version is only a couple weeks old. As far as when the traction control portion was revised, I have no clue.

There were many modules that were updated and I'm sure the individual modules had various release times.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 04:42 AM   #7
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

So I guess it's safe to say that MY 17' will have this standard? I'm talking non-ZCP of course...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 05:35 AM   #8
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0

From
What I understand from the M3 Cutter forum, this version is only a couple weeks old. As far as when the traction control portion was revised, I have no clue.

There were many modules that were updated and I'm sure the individual modules had various release times.
The m3cutter thread goes back to April 21 but folks that noted improvements already had it done before then so it's not clear how far back it went for this version.

My car was completed around that date so I hope the plant is updating these for new cars built on those dates.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der
My car is a 2016 and its original version was actually pretty old. So it's not a "2016" change, it's more of a very recent revised release.
Interesting. I took delivery in December 2014 and don't think my software has ever been updated. Maybe I will perceive more significant changes to sound and suspension characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

What I don't understand is why would the dealer charge for a software update and be reluctant to do one for free. All devices have updates from time to time (iPhone, etc.) and they are basically improvements, bugs that have been resolved over the previous software. Why would this not be free?

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #11
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

From reading the M3Cutters thread on it, they have to spend about 30 min-1 hr setting it up, and then let it run its update for a few hours. That probably explains the cost.
      05-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Side note: I've considered doing this, but I have a ESS flash tune, and have also done some coding (remove warnings, etc...) and I really don't want to lose any of those. Not sure what the updated firmware will erase, or if it will even work, given the flash tune on my ECU.
      05-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #13
al3xander
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerich0 View Post

my car was built in feb 2016. I just checked and I do not have this software
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #14
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
What I don't understand is why would the dealer charge for a software update and be reluctant to do one for free. All devices have updates from time to time (iPhone, etc.) and they are basically improvements, bugs that have been resolved over the previous software. Why would this not be free?
Because your car would take a bay up in the workshop, a tech has to do the upload etc...

If the dealer is targeting service bays and techs time to a revenue/profit stream (all will do of course) it comes down to a good will gesture and some people will have more good will than others.

I know at my dealer if I ask the right people I'll get little things done for free but if I go through service reception there is a high likely hood that the standard tariff kicks in for anything.
      05-13-2016, 07:37 AM   #15
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm600rr
I tried to get my dealer to update the software during my last service and they refused. Wanted I think $225. Is it worth it if you have to pay for it?
For me, hell yeah it's worth it even if you have to pay.

Just for the traction/stability alone it's worth it.

You are going to pay that much anyways if you had it coded to Euro MDM, which I would have if this update wasn't so good.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:39 AM   #16
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Because your car would take a bay up in the workshop, a tech has to do the upload etc...

If the dealer is targeting service bays and techs time to a revenue/profit stream (all will do of course) it comes down to a good will gesture and some people will have more good will than others.

I know at my dealer if I ask the right people I'll get little things done for free but if I go through service reception there is a high likely hood that the standard tariff kicks in for anything.
THIS

That's why I had mine written up as a complaint and safety issue. Then it becomes a warranty issue and the dealer gets paid from BMW for the repair/time
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #17
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Thanks for the review! I've been reading about this update for weeks too. TRZ06 you said they updated every module? The one downside to this is I'll have to go recode everything I've done so far. But small price to pay for those improvements.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #18
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
Thanks for the review! I've been reading about this update for weeks too. TRZ06 you said they updated every module? The one downside to this is I'll have to go recode everything I've done so far. But small price to pay for those improvements.
Yeah, I can see how that would be an issue for a car that has coding.

However , if you have other things coded, maybe you can just add Euro MDM coding and skip the BMW revision.

Mine was completely stock and I was going to have Euro MDM coded after I get my coil-overs, so it was a no-brainer for me.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #19
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the newest software changes on the F80 platform. I'm wondering if it's worth it for those with MT & passive suspension, to go with the update. Especially when coding euro MDM and ASD off is available at little cost? Though I have to think the benefit to those with AS & DCT would be a much wanted improvement from the initial software offering.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:07 AM   #20
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the newest software changes on the F80 platform. I'm wondering if it's worth it for those with MT & passive suspension, to go with the update. Especially when coding euro MDM and ASD off is available at little cost? Though I have to think the benefit to those with AS & DCT would be a much wanted improvement from the initial software offering.
Yeah, that would be a judgment call, as I no idea how Euro MDM behaves or what it's parameters are compared to this newest version.

At least we have a couple options now for a more rewarding driving experience, as I was really getting frustrated with the intervention and was starting to turn everything off when at anything less than freeway speeds.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2016, 08:09 AM   #21
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT
Side note: I've considered doing this, but I have a ESS flash tune, and have also done some coding (remove warnings, etc...) and I really don't want to lose any of those. Not sure what the updated firmware will erase, or if it will even work, given the flash tune on my ECU.
I am very curious about this as well. Anyone chime in?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 08:21 AM   #22
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Interesting reading, and glad someone did this and got their impressions of the lastest software build. I'm not sure i'm left with a full impression of whether or not it is worth it.

As having an F80 with a 4/15 production date and a significant amount of coding that I have done, i'm not sure if it's worth it to lose all of that. I also already have Euro MDM coded in.....the only items that would really make it a slam dunk would be if the exhaust note and adaptive suspension were clearly a big improvement, and i'm not sure from your review that you think they are.

Way to lazy to re-code again, lol. Especially my NGHBA Euro LED's....lol

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 0