BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

09-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

No PPF, Rock chips and impact to Car Value?

Hello,

So I have 2019 M4 CS which was a 2-year lease. I had no intentions of keeping the car after 2-years for various reasons so did not bother with PPF on the front. Now with Covid, new M3 pricing etc. I have been thinking of buying it out. However, what bothers me the most is the amount of rock chips on the front in the absence of PPF. I did ALOT of highway driving so it's sort of bad when you look at it up close.

My question:
- When re-selling this car, how much does that impact the value of the car?
- Is there any point in getting PPF done now?
- I read some threads about respraying the front to fix the rock chips, would that actually diminish the value of the car further?

Yes - I've learned my lesson to PPF in the future. Thanks!

Would appreciate some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

It won't add up to much of a loss because of the demand right now for used cars. if you decide to keep the car, get the hood resprayed and then after it cures get the front end PPF'd. Either way the value won't go down much. If you do paint and PPF, no one will know it was painted. Well, except everyone who reads this thread in the future.
      09-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Respray out of pocket and it'll never show up on any CarFax type reports. Just make sure it's a good color match - a bad match will absolutely devalue your car. I wouldn't worry about rock chips and such unless it's a really inordinate amount for the mileage. Honestly it may even be beneficial and help you sell the car for the price you want if it's a higher mileage example. At the end of the day we drive a fairly pedestrian car, so we aren't arguing over original paint on some limited Ferrari here
Humdizzle6051.00
HotRodM4685.50
      09-10-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I would have thought respraying would be worse than leaving the factory paint as is?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #5
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Thanks. I would have thought respraying would be worse than leaving the factory paint as is?
If your car has significant chips or pitting, the next owner is going to have to respray anyway. It's all dependent on the circumstances of the vehicle, for example:

A. High miles, lots of rock chips = *good quality* respray might actually help a sale. People care much more about maintenance at this mileage more than cosmetic issues.

B. Moderate miles, more chipping than can be touched up = *good quality* respray probably doesn't add or detract from value. Pay out of pocket and keep it off the CarFax.

C. Lower miles, frozen paint, special edition = Respray probably hurts this sale as a buyer looking for this car is prioritizing condition and probably not even planning on driving it so much as they are planning on saying they own it.

D. Very low miles, tons of chips and pitting = Respray definitely needed, but you have bigger problems because probably bought a BMW track car *cough cough* Beaumont.

I really have to emphasize the fact that it needs to be a GOOD respray. Poorly matched paint and poor application will result in devaluation no matter what
      09-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #6
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yeah just respray out of pocket and it won't show up on carfax. A good body shop will get it 100% factory. so find the best one in the bay area.

now there are some ways to tell if someone is really picky -- they can get a paint depth gauge. or if they see a pristine front bumper paired with chips on the hood/fenders and high mileage thats usually a giveaway too.

some people care about this stuff some don't. if the buyer makes a fuss tell them bye. someone else who doesn't care will take the car without questions.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

What color is the car? Is it a matte finish? Those are a pita apparently to match.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 04:40 PM   #8
wam22
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

A high quality respray won't hurt the value unless you have really low miles. I wouldn't bother applying PPF until after it is resprayed. No point in protecting what is already damaged.

Also a thought is to get it wrapped. A great paint job is going to cost $1500 if they blend the paint into the undamaged panels. Plus another $1500-$2000 for a entire front end PPF (Do the entire bumper, hood, and fenders. Don't be like me an only do the bumper). For $4000, you can get a wrap and always go back to the original paint later. Will keep the car "new" in your mind if the appearance changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's a San Marino Blue with 16500 miles. Not sure if that's considered low miles or moderate?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 09:58 PM   #10
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

I’d say that’s a low mileage vehicle, with SMB I’d absolutely go to the best shop possible if you want to respray. RJs in Pleasanton specializes in high end cars. I’ve also had a good experience with Sunwise in Concord (Dealer).

Can you post a pic to show us the chipping? With that low mileage it may not be that bad and touch up paint might be acceptable to draw attention away from chips
      09-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Yes your value will be impacted by rocks
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7601.50
White3401392.00
      09-10-2021, 10:05 PM   #12
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

How bad are the chips? I PPF’d mine without respray when I bought it out of the lease but only had a couple of minor chips. Ideally it is perfect when PPFd but if not that bad, I’d be inclined to get the PPF without a respray to prevent further damage, save the money of the respray and avoid the risk of paint not matching. If there are so many chips that you really see it, then a respray before PPF makes sense.
      09-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #13
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Repsray is the same as repaint? No difference right?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 11:33 AM   #14
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
How bad are the chips? I PPF'd mine without respray when I bought it out of the lease but only had a couple of minor chips. Ideally it is perfect when PPFd but if not that bad, I'd be inclined to get the PPF without a respray to prevent further damage, save the money of the respray and avoid the risk of paint not matching. If there are so many chips that you really see it, then a respray before PPF makes sense.
I'm thinking of doing this as well when I buy out my lease. What did you ppf and how much did it cost you?

I have a few chips so will it look weird with ppf on top of the chips? I was going to get some dr colorchip paint to make it less noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
I'm thinking of doing this as well when I buy out my lease. What did you ppf and how much did it cost you?

I have a few chips so will it look weird with ppf on top of the chips? I was going to get some dr colorchip paint to make it less noticeable.
I did full front (bumper, headlights, fenders and hood) + mirrors with 10-year SunTek PPF. I think it was $1,700 and I didn’t shop around much because I wanted PPF from an authorized SunTek installer. One other installer didn’t respond and another cost more so I went with the guy that was next closest to me. The guy I used for the last 6 cars made mistakes on the last 2 so I wanted someone new.

I know where the chips are so I can see them when the car is perfectly clean. No one else would really notice and if they did would just assume it was something on the surface. I didn’t touch up at all. But I didn’t have much and they weren’t that bad. We are going to take the car back and forth to NC at least once / year now so needed the PPF to prevent real damage.
White3401392.00
      09-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #16
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post

I did full front (bumper, headlights, fenders and hood) + mirrors with 10-year SunTek PPF. I think it was $1,700 and I didn’t shop around much because I wanted PPF from an authorized SunTek installer. One other installer didn’t respond and another cost more so I went with the guy that was next closest to me. The guy I used for the last 6 cars made mistakes on the last 2 so I wanted someone new.

I know where the chips are so I can see them when the car is perfectly clean. No one else would really notice and if they did would just assume it was something on the surface. I didn’t touch up at all. But I didn’t have much and they weren’t that bad. We are going to take the car back and forth to NC at least once / year now so needed the PPF to prevent real damage.
Thanks. 👍🏼
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410968.00
      09-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #17
chetman7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

I would go to a certified BMW shop. Going to pay more, but they are given the specific tools to not only match color but the oem orange peal.

Just document rverything. I wouldn't mind buying a resprayed car as long as it was cosmetic like this case. If I'm spending a good deal of money on something used, I'm putting a paint meter on each panel
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 06:16 PM   #18
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
I would go to a certified BMW shop. Going to pay more, but they are given the specific tools to not only match color but the oem orange peal.
Just my 2¢ but never go to a shop just because they're certified. Certifications are just a piece of paper that allow shops to charge 2-3x as much as uncertified shops without providing any better of a service. Many will even provide an inferior quality paint job so be very careful. The guy my family used to go to would charge around $500-$700 for a front bumper respray and do a phenomenal job. But he just sold his business to an Audi certified shop and they just quoted my dad $2800 to respray his black non-metallic Tesla front bumper which is pretty ridiculous. They have the same workers, same paint booth, same materials and tools but the only thing that changed was the name on the building. I'd personally never go to a certified shop if I'm paying out of pocket
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #19
pfrederi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1995 E36 M3

is the BMW touch Up paint and sealant a good option as well?? they just quoted me for a 12ml bottle $41 for both paint and sealant.

I have an Austin Metallic Yellow and have a rock Chip in my hood. Small (about 1-2cm across) but looks chipped down to the bare metal. I want to repair that and then look into getting the front end PPF. i also can keep the extra paint\sealant for any other chips that might popup. Thoiughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:03 PM   #20
redblaze
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I had a SMB 2019 M4 CS with 2 year lease and ended up selling to private party a couple of months ago. I would say just leave it as is. Spraying may even further lower the value because that may not be what next owner wants to have as remediation.

Have you checked with those 3rd party dealers, e.g. Carvana, Vroom for appraisal? That may help you have some baseline.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:07 PM   #21
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrederi@hotmail.com View Post
is the BMW touch Up paint and sealant a good option as well?? they just quoted me for a 12ml bottle $41 for both paint and sealant.

I have an Austin Metallic Yellow and have a rock Chip in my hood. Small (about 1-2cm across) but looks chipped down to the bare metal. I want to repair that and then look into getting the front end PPF. i also can keep the extra paint\sealant for any other chips that might popup. Thoiughts?
BMW touchup paint is pretty trash. Wouldn't get it (speaking from experience). I have heard Dr Colorchip matches well.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 01:53 AM   #22
MR3SERIESS
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
If your car has significant chips or pitting, the next owner is going to have to respray anyway. It's all dependent on the circumstances of the vehicle, for example:

A. High miles, lots of rock chips = *good quality* respray might actually help a sale. People care much more about maintenance at this mileage more than cosmetic issues.

B. Moderate miles, more chipping than can be touched up = *good quality* respray probably doesn't add or detract from value. Pay out of pocket and keep it off the CarFax.

C. Lower miles, frozen paint, special edition = Respray probably hurts this sale as a buyer looking for this car is prioritizing condition and probably not even planning on driving it so much as they are planning on saying they own it.

D. Very low miles, tons of chips and pitting = Respray definitely needed, but you have bigger problems because probably bought a BMW track car *cough cough* Beaumont.

I really have to emphasize the fact that it needs to be a GOOD respray. Poorly matched paint and poor application will result in devaluation no matter what
I know this is super old and different model car but I just purchased a 2020 m340i from bmw and only after I bought it I realized it’s completely covered in chips and was definitely used as a track car. It has 7k miles and I bought it for 48k. You’re the only user I’ve seen so far mention anything about buying a bmw tracked company car. Is there anything else I should be aware of? And I’m thinking of getting the chipped windshield replaced and repairing hood paint chips, do you think it’s worth it? I do love the car and would love to keep owning it. Anyways thanks!
Appreciate 0