Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
UntamedF80M3
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon G6E Turbo

What to look out for when buying a second hand ME F80

I'm in the market for a F80 M3 DCT what are some things to look out for when buying a second hand one

- is competition package worth it
- what packages/options are needed to have
- should you buy a modded one or not
- is it too late to get into a f80 and should just get a g80

But any information will help guys! thanks 🔥
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
Not late at all. However, they are going pretty high right now like any other used vehicle. I own a G80 and have been looking at F80s since I think they are the most beautiful M3 generation IMO.

You will find a lot of mint condition f80 cars. Just make sure to do your research and dig up every history about the car.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to replace the G80, I just like to have different generations of the same model. I like hoarding lol...
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #3
mrjsmith88
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [9.50]
Yea the prices for the F80 now are well on the rise…but the damn car so fun I wanna buy another one that's how much fun it is
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2021, 12:01 PM   #4
UntamedF80M3
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
Not late at all. However, they are going pretty high right now like any other used vehicle. I own a G80 and have been looking at F80s since I think they are the most beautiful M3 generation IMO.

You will find a lot of mint condition f80 cars. Just make sure to do your research and dig up every history about the car.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to replace the G80, I just like to have different generations of the same model. I like hoarding lol...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjsmith88 View Post
Yea the prices for the F80 now are well on the rise…but the damn car so fun I wanna buy another one that's how much fun it is

Yea that's a good help iv just been scanning thought the market looking for and just waiting for the right one with the right price and spec to come up just hopefully prices slowly come down a bit
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2021, 02:15 PM   #5
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedF80M3 View Post
I'm in the market for a F80 M3 DCT what are some things to look out for when buying a second hand one

- is competition package worth it
- what packages/options are needed to have
- should you buy a modded one or not
- is it too late to get into a f80 and should just get a g80

But any information will help guys! thanks 🔥
My subjective opinion based on my personal preferences:

- is competition package worth it - Yes.
- what packages/options are needed to have - for me, Executive Package with the HUD. I use the HUD on the track.
- should you buy a modded one or not - Depends on the mods. More often than not, stock is preferred.
- is it too late to get into a f80 and should just get a g80 - That's a tough one because of how inflated the market is right now. It all depends on what will happen with depreciation and inflation in the next few years. If cars continue to depreciate less, than whatever market depreciates less will be advantageous. However, right now you are paying a lot for a used car. If the secondary market normalizes, you will experience a steep depreciation curve on a used car. While new cars will experience a similar steep curve regardless just because that's what new cars do, you at least are paying for the experience of having the latest and greatest. The advantage of a used car having a flatter depreciation curve goes away.

Outside of financial concerns, however, it's not too late to get an F80. It's still a badass car to drive. I just ordered a G82 and I was driving my F80 to the dealer for the trade-in appraisal and I was starting to regret my decision. The F80 is still a fantastic beast. I just hope the G8X is the same if not more so.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedF80M3 View Post
Yea that's a good help iv just been scanning thought the market looking for and just waiting for the right one with the right price and spec to come up just hopefully prices slowly come down a bit
It's going to be at least a year or two before we see signs of this madness ending.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0