BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-02-2020, 08:35 PM   #67
///M Kevin
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche GT3, 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I have PDK in my 991.1 S. Amazing transmission and I've enjoyed it. But there's nothing quite like rowing your own gears.
Have you tried a PDK in a GT3?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 07:26 AM   #68
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Kevin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I have PDK in my 991.1 S. Amazing transmission and I've enjoyed it. But there's nothing quite like rowing your own gears.
Have you tried a PDK in a GT3?
No, I'm sure it's insane. PDK overall is an amazing transmission. Now that I have a manual again, I realize how nice the PDK is. Almost engaging.

I won't hesitate to get another PDK.
      02-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #69
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 (comp)

Hi all --jumping in with similar questions here: I'm looking at a 2016 F80 M3 with 6 speed with approx. 20,000 miles on it -- I test drove it today, and loved it! Coming from an E82 N55 with hydraulic steering, I was concerned about the electric steering system - but it felt great and I'm really close to pull the trigger. However, this particular model does not have adaptive suspension and additional amenities like backup camera etc., and it's being offered at $50k (https://www.jaguarseattle.com/invent...8m9c58g5g41750). Any thoughts on whether this is a fair price, and also whether I should hold out for one with adaptive suspension -- or is the adaptive suspension not worth it? Note that there is another M3 (similar year and mileage) offered at another dealership for about $3k less, and this one comes with adaptive suspension and backup camera etc., but it has DCT. https://www.porschebellevue.com/used...d3fa10e5d4.htm. Having a DCT in my E82 right now, I much rather drive a 6 speed! Thanks all!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 05:46 AM   #70
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCoverRoll View Post
Hi all --jumping in with similar questions here: I'm looking at a 2016 F80 M3 with 6 speed with approx. 20,000 miles on it -- I test drove it today, and loved it! Coming from an E82 N55 with hydraulic steering, I was concerned about the electric steering system - but it felt great and I'm really close to pull the trigger. However, this particular model does not have adaptive suspension and additional amenities like backup camera etc., and it's being offered at $50k (https://www.jaguarseattle.com/invent...8m9c58g5g41750). Any thoughts on whether this is a fair price, and also whether I should hold out for one with adaptive suspension -- or is the adaptive suspension not worth it? Note that there is another M3 (similar year and mileage) offered at another dealership for about $3k less, and this one comes with adaptive suspension and backup camera etc., but it has DCT. https://www.porschebellevue.com/used...d3fa10e5d4.htm. Having a DCT in my E82 right now, I much rather drive a 6 speed! Thanks all!
I would advise opening up your search to areas not local to you perhaps since for just a few k more you can be looking at 2018 models including comp package cars. There are many on the market in the mid-50s asking prices. Then again, I've not checked what's available in the PNW for 2018s...
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #71
BermudaKID
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 6mt

Just want to say thanks for the info in this thread even though I'm not OP.

I've been a long time lurker and pulled the trigger on a 2016 Silverstone 6mt last week. This thread had just the type info I was looking for without knowing what to look for.

Appreciate 3
      02-13-2021, 12:43 PM   #72
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BermudaKID View Post

I've been a long time lurker and pulled the trigger on a 2016 Silverstone 6mt last week. This thread had just the type info I was looking for without knowing what to look for.

Looks awesome! Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying for it? Trying to negotiate the price with our local dealer on a 2016 as well!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:45 PM   #73
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I would advise opening up your search to areas not local to you perhaps since for just a few k more you can be looking at 2018 models including comp package cars. There are many on the market in the mid-50s asking prices. Then again, I've not checked what's available in the PNW for 2018s...
Thanks - that’s a good thought: not many manual options in the PNW, but CarMax has a few that can be transferred to the NW for a charge. I’ll check it out!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #74
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I paid $48k for a '16 M3 two years ago...the market is just crazy right now. That said, I have owned two M3s, an '18 with adaptive and a '16 with passive and I felt the passive felt sharper. In terms of firmness, the passive felt between sport and sport plus on adaptive. More importantly, if the passive felt great TO YOU, and the car checks all of your other boxes, you have your answer. And do not buy DCT if you really want 6 speed...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #75
BermudaKID
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 16 M3 6mt

Quote:
Looks awesome! Mind if I ask how much you ended up paying for it? Trying to negotiate the price with our local dealer on a 2016 as well!
$45k ,
2016, 42k miles
Located in SoCal.
Adaptive suspension, HUD, LED headlights.
Exec package but I'm not sure what was an option vs standard equipment.
Previous owner recently re did the clear bra on it as well.

But dealer absolutely would not budge on the price, I've been looking for a manual since Sept and window shopping since March and prices seemed to be going the wrong way for manuals. I test drove a DCT M2, and M3 Comp and decided to hold out but didn't think I'd have to wait 6 months lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #76
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

I almost bought a used m3 from this dealership 2 years ago! Bought my ticket from pdx and everything. I was adamant about disclosing any imperfections, which they skirted around. Finally came down to saying I wouldn't come if they didn't take detailed current pics. There were huge gashes in the engine bay strut tower needless to say! Such a waste of time.🤬
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 02:50 PM   #77
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
I almost bought a used m3 from this dealership 2 years ago! Bought my ticket from pdx and everything. I was adamant about disclosing any imperfections, which they skirted around. Finally came down to saying I wouldn't come if they didn't take detailed current pics. There were huge gashes in the engine bay strut tower needless to say! Such a waste of time.🤬
Ugh good to know. I didn’t look inside the engine bay, but I do plan on doing PPI at our local Bmw dealership, which they did not have an issue with. Pricing does seem all over the place- may have to keep looking!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #78
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
That's a nice pick man! Looks just like my interior, but you've got a few extra toys. Kudos for buying the stick shift!!! It's more fun every day.
      02-14-2021, 10:53 AM   #79
m3elmo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Good pick up - I have a silverstone '16 6MT as well but black interior.

6MT is very numb (stock) compared to say an E46 M3 etc. I got BM3 simply so I can choose to turn off rev match in all modes. The car actually rev matches up and down shifts and it throws me off when switching cars. Also get the $10 clutch stop. Next for me is the clutch delay valve removal.
      02-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #80
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

A lot of people love to trash the DCT but take it with a grain of salt. I've owned 4 Ms now. F82 6MT M4, F87 6MT M2C, F87 DCT M2C, F80 DCT M3. All great cars all a ton of fun. I've driven strictly MT cars for the majority of my adult life and will usually prefer to "row my own" but my last two Ms have been DCT because 1) that's what was available and 2) I'm an inpatient man child. Much to my surprise the DCT is surprisingly fun and banging off shifts faster than lightning is pretty addictive. The long and short of it is, if you find a great car don't write it off just because it's DCT--that is unless you know for you can't live without a manual transmission.

Most others have already mentioned some of the big issues to look for, so I won't go there. The technical issues are good to look out for but I'd also argue for the cosmetic issues also. One of the first questions I'd have for any car (dealer or private party) is this: has the car has any paint protection film installed? If so what is protected? I worry about the F80/82 with the CF roof. If the roof hasn't been wrapped from day 1 it's a red flag for me--not necessarily a hard pass but red flag to ask more questions like: 1) are there any chips/peeling/obvious defects in the roof 2) where is the car from and how was it driven. I live in Colorado when it snows we treat the road with gravel. If someone daily drives a nice car here and it's not protected it will get destroyed. When those CF roofs get chipped, moisture can get underneath the clear coat and you can have sever delamination. Not a good look and expensive to fix. The cosmetic issues can be very difficult to appreciate in Internet pics. Don't be afraid to walk away if you are bothered by what you see.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 12:18 AM   #81
DuckCoverRoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
A lot of people love to trash the DCT but take it with a grain of salt. I've owned 4 Ms now. F82 6MT M4, F87 6MT M2C, F87 DCT M2C, F80 DCT M3. All great cars all a ton of fun. I've driven strictly MT cars for the majority of my adult life and will usually prefer to "row my own" but my last two Ms have been DCT because 1) that's what was available and 2) I'm an inpatient man child. Much to my surprise the DCT is surprisingly fun and banging off shifts faster than lightning is pretty addictive. The long and short of it is, if you find a great car don't write it off just because it's DCT--that is unless you know for you can't live without a manual transmission.

Most others have already mentioned some of the big issues to look for, so I won't go there. The technical issues are good to look out for but I'd also argue for the cosmetic issues also. One of the first questions I'd have for any car (dealer or private party) is this: has the car has any paint protection film installed? If so what is protected? I worry about the F80/82 with the CF roof. If the roof hasn't been wrapped from day 1 it's a red flag for me--not necessarily a hard pass but red flag to ask more questions like: 1) are there any chips/peeling/obvious defects in the roof 2) where is the car from and how was it driven. I live in Colorado when it snows we treat the road with gravel. If someone daily drives a nice car here and it's not protected it will get destroyed. When those CF roofs get chipped, moisture can get underneath the clear coat and you can have sever delamination. Not a good look and expensive to fix. The cosmetic issues can be very difficult to appreciate in Internet pics. Don't be afraid to walk away if you are bothered by what you see.
It's been a challenge finding a 6MT around where I live (I can't even find one on CarMax), and so I'm now looking into DCTs as well. I found a 2018 model which has competition package but with over 45,000 miles on it (see https://www.landroverseattle.com/inv...8m9c5xj5j79132). There is a little bit of warranty period remaining, but I was wondering this is considered high mileage for a 2018 model? And are there any specific maintenance or repair milestones to look out for at this mileage? thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #82
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post

It's been a challenge finding a 6MT around where I live (I can't even find one on CarMax), and so I'm now looking into DCTs as well. I found a 2018 model which has competition package but with over 45,000 miles on it (see https://www.landroverseattle.com/inv...8m9c5xj5j79132). There is a little bit of warranty period remaining, but I was wondering this is considered high mileage for a 2018 model? And are there any specific maintenance or repair milestones to look out for at this mileage? thanks!
I'm not really sure about the milage honestly. I wouldnt be deterred off that alone necessarily. I don't think that's crazy high for a three or four year old daily driven car. I would say that most folks here would urge you to invest in a PDI and that's probably good advice, though not advice I've followed myself.

My understanding is that these cars are for the most part pretty reliable with the more common issues being minor and the more serious issues (crank hub) being fairly rare.

Definitely drive it. Definitely look the paint over and definitely pay close attention to the roof.

When you drive it take a few extra minutes to set the the car up like you think you'd drive it. I recommend Sport/Sport+ throttle, comfort suspension, comfort steering, and DCT shift hardness level 2. Try it in manual mode and find some places where you can safely run through the gears, banging off shifts as fast as you can pull the paddles. It not the same as a 6MT buy like I said it's surprisingly fun in its own way.

Overall it looks like a great spec.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0