GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
Jjoynt
Private
Rep
Drives: AY F82 CCBs MPE

CCBs Squealing While Driving (not braking)...

I understand that CCBs are supposed to squeak while braking, ok that's fine. However, when I am driving at low to moderate or close to highway speeds, whenever the wheel is slightly turned the CCBs squeal. I can hear the noise even with the windows up and music on. It's honestly embarrassing. The noise generally seems to be coming from the front right.

I've seen conflicting info on here that this is normal or even by design while turning. I find that a bit hard to believe.

It is just like this, which turned out be a wheel bearing in this guy's case, which seems really odd as it sounds just like CCB squeal.

Anyone have any experience with CCB noise while driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoynt View Post
I understand that CCBs are supposed to squeak while braking, ok that's fine. However, when I am driving at low to moderate or close to highway speeds, whenever the wheel is slightly turned the CCBs squeal. I can hear the noise even with the windows up and music on. It's honestly embarrassing. The noise generally seems to be coming from the front right.

I've seen conflicting info on here that this is normal or even by design while turning. I find that a bit hard to believe.

It is just like this, which turned out be a wheel bearing in this guy's case, which seems really odd as it sounds just like CCB squeal.

Anyone have any experience with CCB noise while driving?
Yes that's normal. I had CCBs on my previous car, 2015 M4, and I was surprised at first because I thought the whole squeaking thing only involved actual braking. I'm sure you see the writing on the wall here… it happens at slow speeds too. Go figure.

My next M4 I got steel brakes and don't miss the CCBs. I remember be annoyed (minor) that I was rolling around and sounding like I had a bad wheel bearing but I stopped noticing after the first month tbh

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

More than likely your inner pad is dragging/not retracting fully wearing unevenly and making contact with rotor or rotor has a high spot/slightly warped and as you slightly turn the wheel it contacts/squeal. This has happened to me with ST steel rotors with Ferodo pads in the past and its not just a CCB thing. I suggest cleaning pad backside and caliper piston area with air/rag to remove any build up, push pistons in/out to exercise them as a piston might be sticking a bit causing the drag.
When was the last time you flushed brake fluid? That could help.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
Jjoynt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82KPowers View Post
Yes that's normal. I had CCBs on my previous car, 2015 M4, and I was surprised at first because I thought the whole squeaking thing only involved actual braking. I'm sure you see the writing on the wall here… it happens at slow speeds too. Go figure.

My next M4 I got steel brakes and don't miss the CCBs. I remember be annoyed (minor) that I was rolling around and sounding like I had a bad wheel bearing but I stopped noticing after the first month tbh
That is really odd. So you are saying the car is applying brakes while turning at low to moderate speeds? Where did you find this out? One other person mentioned this as well on an old thread
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #5
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjoynt View Post
Quote:

That is really odd. So you are saying the car is applying brakes while turning at low to moderate speeds? Where did you find this out? One other person mentioned this as well on an old thread
No not applying brakes. Just at low speeds at random times. Usually under 15mph or so

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:22 PM   #6
Jjoynt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
More than likely your inner pad is dragging/not retracting fully wearing unevenly and making contact with rotor or rotor has a high spot/slightly warped and as you slightly turn the wheel it contacts/squeal. This has happened to me with ST steel rotors with Ferodo pads in the past and its not just a CCB thing. I suggest cleaning pad backside and caliper piston area with air/rag to remove any build up, push pistons in/out to exercise them as a piston might be sticking a bit causing the drag.
When was the last time you flushed brake fluid? That could help.
I have thought similar about not fully retracting from the rotor for sure. The car is due for brake fluid right now or within the next month or two, you think that could potentially help? Maybe I should mention to a local Euro shop or BMW (not sure where I will take it), but don't want to pay anything crazy for them to attempt to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #7
Jjoynt
Private
Rep

Quote:
No not applying brakes. Just at low speeds at random times. Usually under 15mph or so
I don't understand why at even 45 - 55mph they would still be squealing then
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Both my m3 and m4 has ccb. Both of them makes noise while driving. Most the time it's happens when I slightly turn the steering wheel. Bmw brake pads are floating on the rotors. Even if you don't apply the brake, you can't slide a piece of paper between rotor and brake pad. So yeah it makes noise. Just tell others it's 9k money's noise and you don't have it lol
Appreciate 1
Jjoynt15.00
      08-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #9
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
Both my m3 and m4 has ccb. Both of them makes noise while driving. Most the time it's happens when I slightly turn the steering wheel. Bmw brake pads are floating on the rotors. Even if you don't apply the brake, you can't slide a piece of paper between rotor and brake pad. So yeah it makes noise. Just tell others it's 9k money's noise and you don't have it lol
Yup, definitely a thing

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I've had this issue since owning my GTS until I swapped the pads. Seems to be during low speeds and turning left (weirdly). Recently I did swap out my pads for Pagid RSC1's, and so far (1k miles) I haven't had the issue come back up. I agree it might have something to do with the calipers (as previously mentioned), but I'd be curious if it also had to do with the CCB's bedding in procedure...
      08-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #11
Jjoynt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4d0w View Post
I've had this issue since owning my GTS until I swapped the pads. Seems to be during low speeds and turning left (weirdly). Recently I did swap out my pads for Pagid RSC1's, and so far (1k miles) I haven't had the issue come back up. I agree it might have something to do with the calipers (as previously mentioned), but I'd be curious if it also had to do with the CCB's bedding in procedure...
Yeah it is hard to diagnose for sure. Could be 10 different things
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
Jjoynt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yup, definitely a thing
Hmm interesting, seems that way. Good to know my car isn't the only one that does it at least.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2021, 05:30 PM   #13
guess2098
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Taycan GTS, 2018 M4, 2016

Quote:
Oh that is a great info. Where did you purchase and how much? Any difference (Feel) between this vs oem?

Turning left makes noise is exactly what I have to.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #14
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

Quote:
Recently I did swap out my pads for Pagid RSC1's, and so far (1k miles) I haven't had the issue come back up.
Any feedback you can provide on stock pads vs Pagid?
I've been debating a pad swap.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #15
ClubsportJunkie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guess2098 View Post
Oh that is a great info. Where did you purchase and how much? Any difference (Feel) between this vs oem?

Turning left makes noise is exactly what I have to.
Bimmerworld for about a G F+R. It is a track pad so yes it had a lot more bite than the OEM pads, which also means you'll eat away at your rotors comparatively. It's just strange that they haven't squeaked as much, and I haven't had the problem discussed here (going back to my conspiracy around bedding the brakes in, I'm sure the dealership only does 60 MPH bedding). Don't get me wrong when they're cold they still squeak to a complete stop, but nowhere near as much as the OEM.

Please be aware of the sketchiness bedding these pads in on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
Any feedback you can provide on stock pads vs Pagid?
I've been debating a pad swap.
If you're tracking I'd almost say to just go with the iron conversion. The GTS is a lifer for me, so I'm ok with the depreciation when I do swap and toss the CCB's. My logic is that I'll retain the value when I buy the Euro GTS seats .

Assuming you're as crazy as me, I've only used the Pagid pads on the track (comparing to OEM), but they've been bullet proof with no fading on my last 2x 25 minute sessions on a small track (top speed ~90 mph). With the OEM's I had some small fading on the street with tight and technical roads with uphill/downhill, and with these pads I haven't experienced that w/ the same roads.

Here's a great video about the Pagid RSC1's if anyone is interested. Bimmerworld's GTMore Project has already swapped them for iron's, but they also wanted to run 18" rims, which you can't do with the CCB calipers.

Appreciate 2
guess2098516.00
Wanted_M759.00