EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-01-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
kchan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

MHD Tuning questions

Hi all,

So I bite the bullet and bought the license for MHD, with just the base package that does the stage 0 (CS/GTS tunes, CS/GTS transmission). I plan to do CS transmission, and eventually like to try the CS/GTS engine tunes. I have read the manual so I got a good idea, but like to get your comments/experience. My connection method is ENET cable plus lightning adapter. I tested the connection and it seems to be ok, but before I flash, I have these questions.

- are the flash files already downloaded onto my phone once I activate the license key? I activate the key, but not 100% sure if the flash files already local to the app. Meaning, I don't need to have any internet connection AFTER I login in?

- in relates to 1st question, so I should put phone in airplane mode, wifi off (so carplay will be off), and seatbelts attached with door closed?

- it highly recommend using a battery charger for 1st flash. does anyone do it without (using this same connection method)? I planned to drive it for like 20 mins on highway to make sure battery is good charge (car has 36K miles), is that sufficient? If risky, what battery charger works for our vehicle, does it need some special type for our lithium battery?

- how long is the 1st flash if I use ENET + lightning?

- would you recommend doing the transmission first (CS), and then engine tune (CS or GTS)? I kind of want to see the difference doing it one by one. If I do it one by one, will the 2nd flash be faster?

- in the manual, it stated that you don't need to save a baseline file for the stock car. Mine is 2018 ZCP, do you recommend still saving a baseline file?

- any other tips you like to share will be greatly appreciated.

It's just a bit nerve wrecking since it's my first time, so be patient with me...

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #2
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Anyone?
being the first time is still nerve wrecking...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:05 AM   #3
sappersix
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchan View Post
- are the flash files already downloaded onto my phone once I activate the license key? I activate the key, but not 100% sure if the flash files already local to the app. Meaning, I don't need to have any internet connection AFTER I login in?

- in relates to 1st question, so I should put phone in airplane mode, wifi off (so carplay will be off), and seatbelts attached with door closed?
Don't know the answer to your first question. Similar to you, I flashed with lightning-to-ethernet + ENET cable. Since I was using ENET (seems like many reported problems are related to flashing over WiFi), I flashed with my wifi connection active. I did close the door and fasten my seatbelts. I flashed Stage 0+ (CS) tune + options successfully. I'm 6MT, so I did not flash DCT.

Quote:
- it highly recommend using a battery charger for 1st flash. does anyone do it without (using this same connection method)? I planned to drive it for like 20 mins on highway to make sure battery is good charge (car has 36K miles), is that sufficient? If risky, what battery charger works for our vehicle, does it need some special type for our lithium battery?
I was on my CTEK charger. However...

Quote:
- how long is the 1st flash if I use ENET + lightning?
Initial engine flash only took about 2.5 minutes in my case.

Quote:
- would you recommend doing the transmission first (CS), and then engine tune (CS or GTS)? I kind of want to see the difference doing it one by one. If I do it one by one, will the 2nd flash be faster?
I've only done my initial flash and still testing it out. However, based on the product info, it sounds like subsequent flashes are faster. But, at least in my case, flashing with ENET was so fast, I wouldn't worry if your battery is healthy.

Quote:
- in the manual, it stated that you don't need to save a baseline file for the stock car. Mine is 2018 ZCP, do you recommend still saving a baseline file?
I didn't bother to run a backup. I suppose I was just trusting the vendor that they meant that they could flash back to stock if needed.

Plus, I'm not sure how I would restore the backup. Maybe using the "flash a custom map" functionality?

Good luck! This worked without a hitch on my 2016 ZCP.

I see you're in the Bay Area. PM me if you want to connect.
      12-03-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
kchan
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply! Makes me feel alot better just to flash it without the battery.

How do you like the CS engine tune? Will you try out GTS or stage 1 next?

I bought the flash license by itself (not the package), so will only be doing CS or GTS engine tunes.
Appreciate 0