Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-02-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

M4 Ghetto exhaust mod suggestion

Looking to get my m4 little louder. Currently have all stock and wanted to delete my resonators with straight pipes and keep everything else stock OR delete secondary cats and replace the resonators with an x pipe. Does anyone know which setup will be louder? I honestly like rasp and every legit exhausts sounds similar to me making it hard to justify the price tag. I also saw that people installed resonators on the cat but it's not raspy enough for me lol... Anyways which setup would be louder?
Option 1 -Just a resonator delete replacing with straight pipes
Option 2 - secondary cat delete with straight pipes and deleting the resonator with an x pipe?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 10:49 PM   #2
EnriOsso
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 m3

Just a resonator delete with Straight pipes was a big difference in sound when I did it to my m3. I would definitely recommend it as it's a cheap mod to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Option 2, if you can swing it get an EQ Length mid-pipe from AA - it removes the secondary cats and resonator. Single length midpipes (AA or VSRF) will do the same thing but keep the stock exhaust tone. I would say it's like 7/10 loud if stock is 5/10 - loud enough to be enjoyable but not so loud that it's obnoxious.

Mine (AA EQ Length)

Single Length
Kilabyte3948.00
      12-02-2020, 11:24 PM   #4
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnriOsso View Post
Just a resonator delete with Straight pipes was a big difference in sound when I did it to my m3. I would definitely recommend it as it's a cheap mod to do.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm thinking of deleting the resonators for sure with secondary cat delete but not sure if I should do an x pipe or straight pipe for the resonators :/ Do you know if I put in a x pipe for the resonator will it make it quieter compared to two separate straight pipes for the resonators? Or will the volume not be a difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:28 PM   #5
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Option 2, if you can swing it get an EQ Length mid-pipe from AA - it removes the secondary cats and resonator. Single length midpipes (AA or VSRF) will do the same thing but keep the stock exhaust tone. I would say it's like 7/10 loud if stock is 5/10 - loud enough to be enjoyable but not so loud that it's obnoxious.

Mine (AA EQ Length)

Single Length
I looked into the single length pipes and always felt like something was missing. I find it very awkward when m3/m4 without rasp. It loses it's character imo haha
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 11:55 PM   #6
notnow
Bit by Modbug
Rep
Drives: F86

Actually single midpipes still has some rasp, if you put it beside EQ length midpipes you can definitely tell. Like 60% rasp gone vs 90% on stock mufflers? I went with single midpipes because it would've costed me more to get resonators deleted with extra mufflers added in 2 spots.

For EQ length, you'd definitely need mufflers or else it'd be too quiet. Love that Porsche like sound though...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:13 AM   #7
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Another vote for AA EQ, you'll gain some volume and it will stop sounding like crap.

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:32 AM   #8
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the replies guys but I'm only looking at deleting my secondary cats and the resonators. The only thing I'm debating on now is if I should weld the resonators straight piped or an x pipe. Just want to know which would be louder. I know it sounds like crap to most ppl but I like the way it sounds for some reason haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:33 AM   #9
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickkim1 View Post
thanks for the replies guys but I'm only looking at deleting my secondary cats and the resonators. The only thing I'm debating on now is if I should weld the resonators straight piped or an x pipe. Just want to know which would be louder. I know it sounds like crap to most ppl but I like the way it sounds for some reason haha.
'Kilabyte has left the chat"

S55, 2JZ, M48.00

Last edited by Kilabyte; 12-03-2020 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
ntg442888.50
      12-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #10
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you'll hear a discernable difference in loudness whether you are straight dual pipes or x-piped (all else equal). If exhaust is kept at an unequal length, I haven't heard any that are markedly different whether x-piped or dual pipes or even single mid pipe (it's like vanilla vs french vanilla), so I think it's really how you want to fine tune that unequal length tone to get the sound you're looking for - probably x-pipe if you are looking for more of that high pitched rasp.

Also, volume will increase primarily from the removal of the secondary cats - resonators generally don't reduce volume, they just "shape" the noise or remove certain unpleasant frequencies. You may hear more low end frequency which may give the impression of loudness without the resonators.

Last edited by RugbyBro; 12-03-2020 at 01:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
I don't think you'll hear a discernable difference in loudness whether you are straight dual pipes or x-piped (all else equal). If exhaust is kept at an unequal length, I haven't heard any that are markedly different whether x-piped or dual pipes or even single mid pipe (it's like vanilla vs french vanilla), so I think it's really how you want to fine tune that unequal length tone to get the sound you're looking for - probably x-pipe if you are looking for more of that high pitched rasp.

Also, volume will increase primarily from the removal of the secondary cats - resonators generally don't reduce volume, they just "shape" the noise or remove certain unpleasant frequencies. You may hear more low end frequency which may give the impression of loudness without the resonators.
Thanks for the info! But I thought the straight pipe resonators would be high pitched and x pipes makes it deeper and help with raspiness?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Here's how it works.

Straight pipes= raspy AF.
X pipe=pretty raspy.
H pipe= not that raspy but still there

The stock resonator has an H pipe inside hence why it's not super raspy out the factory.

The MPE has an h pipe design on it hence why it's not THAT raspy.

Straight pipes sound like absolute shit I've heard it numerous times. (Res and sec cat delete)

I think the best setup is x pipe and res + sec cat delete but that's still pretty raspy but not super bad like straight pipes.

If I were to go custom I'd just do a secondary cat delete. I'd want the h pipe in the resonator as it helps keep the exhaust tone relatively deep. You either need an aftermarket midpipe or MPE to take the resonator out and not expect a lawn mower exhaust note in my opinion; but I've seen x pipe + aftermarket resonator (OEM resonator and secondary cat delete) sound good.

Vrsf single is 629 I'd cough it up and buy that, sounds so good.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #13
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info! But I thought the straight pipe resonators would be high pitched and x pipes makes it deeper and help with raspiness?
Not 100% sure about S55, but in my experience on other platforms, xpipes give a higher pitched and raspier note relative to stock. Sounds like based on the above post that straight pipes are untamed raspiness.
      12-03-2020, 02:05 PM   #14
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Here's how it works.

X pipe=pretty raspy.

The stock resonator has an H pipe inside hence why it's not super raspy out the factory.

Straight pipes sound like absolute shit I've heard it numerous times. (Res and sec cat delete)

I think the best setup is x pipe and res + sec cat delete but that's still pretty raspy but not super bad like straight pipes.

If I were to go custom I'd just do a secondary cat delete. I'd want the h pipe in the resonator as it helps keep the exhaust tone relatively deep. You either need an aftermarket midpipe or MPE to take the resonator out and not expect a lawn mower exhaust note in my opinion; but I've seen x pipe + aftermarket resonator (OEM resonator and secondary cat delete) sound good.

Wow this cleared it up so much! Thanks alot since you've heard many setups was the straight pipe resonators more louder than x pipes or was it not noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Here's how it works.

X pipe=pretty raspy.

Wow this cleared it up so much! Thanks alot since you've heard many setups was the straight pipe resonators more louder than x pipes or was it not noticeable?
Pretty similar volume but x pipe sounds exotic and ricey like 50/50. straight pipes sound just Ricey. Definitely definitely put an x pipe. Good for flow and sound and overall exhaust science lol. Dual midpipes should always meet somewhere, especially on this exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #16
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Do us (and yourself!) a huge solid and add one of the active pipes to your custom setup in order to save yourself from sounding like a john deere with a muffler.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #17
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

I think you have to weigh the cost of all this cutting and welding custom route vs buying say a VRSF single midpipe for $629 as mentioned. If the custom route will cost you a couple hundred bucks, why not buy something that's plug-and-play and save the headache?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #18
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Hey guys so I just got the resonator replaced with an x pipe and deleted my secondary cats and unplugged my muffler with the flaps open all the time.It’s still too quiet for me lol I like my cars loud. I wouldn’t also mind more rasp tbh but you guys have any other recommendations to make the car louder? Don’t want down pipes and tune the car. I’m guessing getting a muffler be the only option?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 04:10 AM   #19
BoxKing
I Rock Your Girls Box
Rep
Drives: M4 F82 ZCP AW

I don't know don't know why you're bothering to keep make ghetto mods to your whip.. next thing we will hear is that you went to AutoZone and slapped on a stock can muffler from off the shelf.

Just grab a VRSF Single Mid-Pipe.. or drop your bad habits, stop taking your car to Meineke for crappy exhaust work, and get an AWE Track Exhaust - this would by far be the loudest and cheapest option.

Stop annoying ppl with what you want to do, and just FKN do it!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #20
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxKing View Post
I don't know don't know why you're bothering to keep make ghetto mods to your whip.. next thing we will hear is that you went to AutoZone and slapped on a stock can muffler from off the shelf.

Just grab a VRSF Single Mid-Pipe.. or drop your bad habits, stop taking your car to Meineke for crappy exhaust work, and get an AWE Track Exhaust - this would by far be the loudest and cheapest option.

Stop annoying ppl with what you want to do, and just FKN do it!
You right! I already stated up there I didn’t like how the single midpipes sound cus it’s not raspy enough for me so why would I consider it? Also many people experiment with resonator deletes and etc before they want to commit to a full aftermarket exhausts. My friends all have full Remus/akrapovic exhausts and wanted something different from theirs. I don’t care about spending few hundreds on experimenting and then later buying a full exhaust. It’s not a waste of money to me it’s more for fun. Fix your bad habits on being a toxic keyboard warrior it ain’t cute! Lol I made this thread to help people in the future who is in the same position as I am so if you’re going to be all butthurt because of me annoying everyone with my questions then so be it because I’m still going to ask what I want to know. So ANYWAYS any muffler/exhausts suggestion everyone?

Last edited by Yassssm4; 12-04-2020 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #21
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

If you like the rasp try the AA Equal Length midpipe (without resonators) and the MPE rear section.
      12-05-2020, 03:54 AM   #22
Yassssm4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
If you like the rasp try the AA Equal Length midpipe (without resonators) and the MPE rear section.
Thanks for the input! But after researching I’m going to purchase the awe track exhaust. Was about to cut my resonators into straight pipe and delete the mufflers but saw that the awe is actually a 3inch pipe all the way instead of 2.5 so just going to go with that route. Anyone who likes their car loud I would skip this set up cus it’s still a bit too quiet imo it’s more of an oem+ sound lol
Appreciate 0