GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

02-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #67
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I broke down my responses based on models:

Swap GT4 for M3: No way I need my backseat.
M4: If I could afford to spend 35k more then I did I would chose the Porsche in a heartbeat. I can't afford to pay 1.5x what I am now so its still out, but good on ya if you can.

I'm FULLY in support of mkoesel's in with the new out with the old philosophy as stated above, and would also say its a shame you ordered an m4 and not an m3 because you could have the DD fun of the M3 with the practicality of folding seats and rear doors AND the track monster GT4 for the really spirited drives and the track.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 01:51 PM   #68
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Seems like a lot of people have thought about their recent car purchase about as far as they can kick a rock. It would be interesting to know who made an impulse buy just to have the hot, new 'it' car but never really focused on what they actually want, but more of what others/media want.

There definitely is a good amount of people that have more money than brains.

To the OP, I doubt Porsche will ever give you the most 'fun for your dollar' as you claim. That is just not their market strategy, see link below. Porsche may give you a brand and a sense of achievement if you desire, however. I would assume the most 'fun for your dollar' would be a used car, perhaps a GT500 or C6 corvette. There's no need to spend $100k.

http://www.dw.de/porsche-emerges-as-...ker/a-16727077
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #69
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4 View Post
Seems like a lot of people have thought about their recent car purchase about as far as they can kick a rock. It would be interesting to know who made an impulse buy just to have the hot, new 'it' car but never really focused on what they actually want, but more of what others/media want.
Yup, the squirrel with a nut idea that mkoesel spoke of.

Since i've always been a 'buyer' not a 'leaser', i'm pretty long term on my purchase decisions and assume any car i buy i will keep for at least 5 years. The only exceptions were: this total lemon of a ford i bought right out of school (lasted 18 months after i replaced every damn part on it) and my E9X 328, which was fine and all, but i got it for such a ridiculously sweetheart deal that i sold it 3.5 years after i bought it for about $7k less than i paid....which was cheap ownership!

Is it possible that my F80 will not be the greatest car ever in history? Sure. Its possible that the C63 will be better or that Audi will (contrary to expectations) suddenly offer an RS4 here that will have a properly placed engine and not be all 'understeery'.

but, honestly? The odds of liking another car slightly more weighed against the ever-so-slight improvement that i might notice (even if it is better, a C63 won't be light years better, it will be microns), etc, means i just don't have time to worry or care if there might be a better car.

At some point, it is like those guys you know growing up who never get married because they are always chasing down some theoretical idea of a perfect girl, so they date, they breakup (she was a close talker, i didnt like her laugh, etc (yes, all credit to seinfeld)), they date, they breakup, but they never find anyone without any flaws at all.

But, in doing that, they never get to experience that marriage (flaws and all) is better than the endless dating cycle they are going through.

(they also dont appreciate that, hey? maybe there is no Mrs Perfect? But look in the mirror, loser, you ain't so perfect yourself.....)

I may be digressing a bit (what else is new) but, yeah, the 'i need to get this car, then that car, now i will switch to this other car, and now this car, and oh look what got released i am changing cars again' every 6 months mindset has never made sense to me. You dont need to be in for the long haul, but i think there is nothing wrong with buying, settling down and gettin' all serious with a car for a few years - who knows, you might even learn to appreciate all those faults.....

/ramble
      02-10-2015, 02:44 PM   #70
elitex
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 23 X5MC, 23 R8

Garage List
I am selling my Viper and buying the GT4. Already placed a deposit and am #2 on the list.

I would still do it if I owned an M4 and didn't need the back seats.
23 GT4, 21 X5M, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #71
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post

Since i've always been a 'buyer' not a 'leaser', i'm pretty long term on my purchase decisions and assume any car i buy i will keep for at least 5 years. The only exceptions were: this total lemon of a ford i bought right out of school (lasted 18 months after i replaced every damn part on it) and my E9X 328, which was fine and all, but i got it for such a ridiculously sweetheart deal that i sold it 3.5 years after i bought it for about $7k less than i paid....which was cheap ownership!

Is it possible that my F80 will not be the greatest car ever in history? Sure. Its possible that the C63 will be better or that Audi will (contrary to expectations) suddenly offer an RS4 here that will have a properly placed engine and not be all 'understeery'.

but, honestly? The odds of liking another car slightly more weighed against the ever-so-slight improvement that i might notice (even if it is better, a C63 won't be light years better, it will be microns), etc, means i just don't have time to worry or care if there might be a better car.

At some point, it is like those guys you know growing up who never get married because they are always chasing down some theoretical idea of a perfect girl, so they date, they breakup (she was a close talker, i didnt like her laugh, etc (yes, all credit to seinfeld)), they date, they breakup, but they never find anyone without any flaws at all.

But, in doing that, they never get to experience that marriage (flaws and all) is better than the endless dating cycle they are going through.

(they also dont appreciate that, hey? maybe there is no Mrs Perfect? But look in the mirror, loser, you ain't so perfect yourself.....)

I may be digressing a bit (what else is new) but, yeah, the 'i need to get this car, then that car, now i will switch to this other car, and now this car, and oh look what got released i am changing cars again' every 6 months mindset has never made sense to me. You dont need to be in for the long haul, but i think there is nothing wrong with buying, settling down and gettin' all serious with a car for a few years - who knows, you might even learn to appreciate all those faults.....

/ramble
Haha, Brilliant! You Canadiens are deep.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:01 PM   #72
Revcrazy
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoM4

There definitely is a good amount of people that have more money than brains.

To the OP, I doubt Porsche will ever give you the most 'fun for your dollar' as you claim. That is just not their market strategy, see link below. Porsche may give you a brand and a sense of achievement if you desire, however. I would assume the most 'fun for your dollar' would be a used car, perhaps a GT500 or C6 corvette. There's no need to spend $100k.

http://www.dw.de/porsche-emerges-as-...ker/a-16727077
I don't think there are many cars that give you better experience for your money...certainly none short of a hyper car when the car in consideration is a GT Porsche.

Same reason why when you see best drivers car comparos Porsche at any level is usually the front runner and more often than not the winner...case in point the last two from MT where the 991S won and then the 4S even against much more expensive rwd cars...and then the 4S even beat the stingray and f12 handily.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #73
gtr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 CTR

Yes, gt4 probably best porsche ever. You can alway get a M3 but the gt4 will probably be limited. If u can get it buy it. it'll probably hold value.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #74
RussDC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

You got it man!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #75
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
I will also note this: not on the Cayman GT4, but Clarkson did give the 911 C4 GTS the best review he has ever given a Porsche...

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...carrera-4-gts/

(with the best part being the opening math)
      02-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #76
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revcrazy View Post
I don't think there are many cars that give you better experience for your money...certainly none short of a hyper car when the car in consideration is a GT Porsche.

Same reason why when you see best drivers car comparos Porsche at any level is usually the front runner and more often than not the winner...case in point the last two from MT where the 991S won and then the 4S even against much more expensive rwd cars...and then the 4S even beat the stingray and f12 handily.
The Kool-Aid runs deep with this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:38 PM   #77
Bob Santorini
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

If I was in a postion with more money I would most likely swap for a GT4 as the configuration and size suits me better than the M4.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #78
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Go for it OP. For a $90k toy car you don't need anyone's advice, just get whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #79
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Go for it OP. For a $90k toy car you don't need anyone's advice, just get whatever you want.
The OP obviously needs strangers' approval before making the jump!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #80
beanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, 03 360 Modena

Porsche dealer came back absurdly low on their trade offer (20-30k off msrp for a 2 month old car with 3k miles).

I sincerely appreciate all the thoughts from this thread. I'm now leaning towards just being sensible and canceling the M4 and ED. I still have a villa rented in Tuscany so I'll go there for
a week, but my drive through Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and Monaco will be canceled.

Depending on when the gt4 is built, I might still do ED on it at a later date. It's a long shot because of my schedule this summer/early fall, but it may still happen.

Too bad Porsche doesn't discount for ED.

Parker
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #81
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:

/ramble
I ain't even married.. but know what dish your cooking...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:00 PM   #82
elitex
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M8C Coupe, 23 X5MC, 23 R8

Garage List
Quote:

/ramble
Yes but life is short and if you're a car guy then why not sample many different cars if it makes you happy. Everyone has their poison.

This is the way I look at it, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, gamble, waste money at strip clubs or go to clubs. I bet that I spend less on cars than some guys wasting money on all the things I listed.

It's funny you used a marriage analogy. I've been happily marred for 13 years. Got married when I was 19. So the point is that I can make a commitment where it matters. After all, it's just money, we won't take it with us.
23 GT4, 21 X5M, 20 Evora GT, 20 C63S Coupe,19 X5 50i, 18 Giulia QV, 18 M5, 17 Evora 400, 18 LX570, 17 GT350,18 M4,17 R8 V10 ,17 M3 Comp,17 GT350,16 Escalade, 16 570S,16 911 GTS,15 M5, 15 LX570, 13 M5,13 Viper,14 Cayman S,13 M3,13 S4,10 RX8,12 A4,10 G37, 04 Mini Cooper S, 08 Scion TC, 06 Altima V6, 05 Altima
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 08:41 PM   #83
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

You'd be stupid to buy a GT4 if you're already swapping out of an M4.

Why? Well year after next there will be a GT4 RS. Or a GT4 Club Sport. Or a GT4 R. Or a GTR RSR. Or a GT4 RS GTS Turbo Hybrid Club Sport America Classic PCA Edition. Or hell There may be all of them.

It's a Porsche. It's limited until the next edition rolls around.

I'm waiting until whatever they do after the 991 GT3 RS is out so I can scoop one from the knucklehead who has to be first to the next shiny version. There's already some 991 GT3's rolling into the auctions around $113-$120K in anticipation.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #84
myzmak
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Yes but life is short and if you're a car guy then why not sample many different cars if it makes you happy. Everyone has their poison.

This is the way I look at it, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, gamble, waste money at strip clubs or go to clubs. I bet that I spend less on cars than some guys wasting money on all the things I listed.

It's funny you used a marriage analogy. I've been happily marred for 13 years. Got married when I was 19. So the point is that I can make a commitment where it matters. After all, it's just money, we won't take it with us.
Yeah, fair. I drink (not all the time or anything) and don't do any of the other stuff you mentioned but I am all about enjoying my time on this planet. With cars, part of my enjoyment comes through long term appreciation. Not saying everyone must own for five years but the new car every six months or every year thing has never clicked with me. Understand not all feel that way (and not saying something different from me is wrong) just saying how it works with me is all.

But, of course, everyone is free to spend their own dough however it floats their boats.
      02-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #85
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

wow what a wonderful decision to make.

If I could I would get this car over any M model. (unless you need 4 doors)

I am in awe of this car.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 07:34 AM   #86
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You don't need the two Jalopies in the garage, both of the current apples of your eye will bury them six feet under. Out with old, in with the new and all of that.
"Jalopies"?!?! You're crazy, that's my dream garage! If I win the lottery a Yellow 360 Modena w/ gated metal shifter (first of the last great mid-engine Ferraris imho) & e39 M5 (First awesome V8 from BMW imho) would be high up on my collection. I would pick a 991 GT3 over the GT4 *ONLY* if I could retrofit a manual transmission (for the 9k redline engine!). My 2003 S2000 I'm keeping forever since it's the best of the breed - last year w/9k redline and first year of glass rear window and still has the twitchy rear end

It's for these reasons I'm drawn to the GT4 - could be one of the last naturally aspirated Porches with manual transmission. So, I too was considering backing out on my M3 for the GT4. But, it would stretch my budget a little too far because I'd still need to buy a daily big enough to carry my kids or bikes.

I've owned a Corvette in the past and it was fun, but they just don't do anything for me now. I recognize their performance but I prefer the compact dimension and light weight vs high horsepower of the Porsche. Same with the Viper - I recognize its capabilities but too big for my tastes.

Last edited by fueledbymetal; 02-11-2015 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #87
Rude Boy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 6MT

NOPE
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #88
beanboy
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3, 03 360 Modena

Got a friend to photoshop black wheels and spoiler supports.

Parker
Appreciate 0