Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

09-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #45
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

We are in the world of OBDII Flash Tunes, now.

What is the "...xxx programmer"?

Why would you want to ?

Both BM3 and Carbahn have their own unique OBD programmers. Not sure why you would find that confusing...

I like options. I already have BM3 and would like to use any tune I want without losing my initial investment. Same reason I have 4 BM3 tunes. I want to be able to roll back (and forth) if needed. Options!

But, no one answered my questions so I'll repost (next)...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #46
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

No one at Carbahn answered these questions, so I'll repost:

I have four BM3 tunes (Stage1/Stage2 each with/without Burble) and the BM3 programmer. I sent my ECU in to get "unlocked" a couple of years ago. I also have the original factory tune (which will re-lock the ECU) and an unlocked factory tune. My 2016 F82 is used primarily on the track

Q1. Is the high power Carbahn tune suitable for extended use (20 minute track sessions) or just for the occasional launch from traffic lights?

Q2. Can I use the Carbahn Tunes and Flasher interchangeably with the BM3 Tunes and Flasher? (Can I go back and forth)?

Thanks in Advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #47
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

lol why does anyone give a hoot about this. looks like nothing new is being offered and the vibe I get is just shady. like theres, AA,VF,BM3, Alpine ...list goes on.

1. Why should I buy your product?
2. What justifies the price?
3. Why are you better than competitors?

Not trying to bash.. I am sure my post will be deleted nonetheless
Appreciate 2
Dr._Who124.50
      09-25-2018, 03:16 PM   #48
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Dan View Post
It's funny that this new Carbahn "smooth power flash tuner" looks and sounds just like your Open Flash tablet. Looks like Carbahn re-branded the Open Flash Tablet and marked it up over $1,000 dollars more than the Open Flash tablet. I asked about this and you admitted you can't confirm or deny it which tells me it is your product that Carbahn re-branded. I'd go with the Open Flash tuner/tablet because they were the innovators and it's over $1,000 dollars cheaper!
Keep in mind that that there are only a handful of hardware manufacturers that make ECU re-programming tools.

Because of the fact above, you will find many companies (including us) using what appears to be the same physical device/hardware (Alientech Powergate).

The reality is that the product itself will differ where it matters:

*Engine calibration/tune files
*Hardware (device) firmware; This is what adds or remove device features.
*Diagnostic function (or lack there-of)
*Logging functions (or lack there-of)
*User interface
*Product support
*Associated hardware or extended powertrain warranties
*.... etc

In fewer words- it is a different product and not a re-brand.

Sorry to Carbahn for jumping in your thread. Just wanted to clear up some confusion.

Last edited by OpenFlash; 09-26-2018 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #49
CarBahn Autoworks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lots of BMWs coming and going

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
I'd also prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt, but one would think when you roll out a promotional campaign you'd be on the board monitoring reception of the end user and ready to answer a question like this. The pause is a little concerning.
Hi Everyone,

Apologies for the delayed response.

To try and cover all questions:

Warranty - CarBahn will warranty vehicles still under the manufacturer's warranty. Otherwise, we have a two year product warranty on CarBahn software.

Q1. Is the high power Carbahn tune suitable for extended use (20 minute track sessions) or just for the occasional launch from traffic lights?

Yes. We've been doing significant amounts of track testing at Thunderhill with this software over the last few months. Steve's vision hasn't changed. We want to focus on products don't sacrifice the long-term reliability of the car.

Q2. Can I use the Carbahn Tunes and Flasher interchangeably with the BM3 Tunes and Flasher? (Can I go back and forth)?

We can't comment on the compatibility of our software going back and forth from other brand's products. For the best experience, we prefer customers coming to us with factory software.
Appreciate 2
OpenFlash1737.00
Fugly M35069.50
      09-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #50
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Hey,

Again, what is the "BM3 (Tunes and...) Flasher / Programmer"?

The (your) Laptop used for the initial download and subsequent Flash(es)?!?

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #51
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBahn Autoworks View Post
Hi Everyone,

Warranty - CarBahn will warranty vehicles still under the manufacturer's warranty. Otherwise, we have a two year product warranty on CarBahn software.

Yes. We've been doing significant amounts of track testing at Thunderhill with this software over the last few months. Steve's vision hasn't changed. We want to focus on products don't sacrifice the long-term reliability of the car.

We can't comment on the compatibility of our software going back and forth from other brand's products. For the best experience, we prefer customers coming to us with factory software.
I'm satisfied with that answer. Do you all work with BMW dealers if something went wrong?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #52
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

What has your testing concluded about the crank hub issue and in particular as it relates to tuning increased hp tq?
How common is the issue?
Can you mitigate the risks with any tuning strategies?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #53
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr._Who View Post
Hey,

Again, what is the "BM3 (Tunes and...) Flasher / Programmer"?

The (your) Laptop used for the initial download and subsequent Flash(es)?!?

Cheers!

BootMod3 uses a "tuner" (a Rasperry Pi running custom software) to transfer tunes from a cell phone to the OBD port. Their "tuner" enables full tuning at the track without having to break out a laptop. Their tuner allows a cell phone to attach using WiFi. I've never had to use a laptop to flash a BM3 tune...

Is this what you are confused about?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #54
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

OK, let me re-phrase that question...

* Can I use your tuner/software to REPLACE/OVERWRITE a BM3 tune already in my ECU?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #55
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
OK, let me re-phrase that question...

* Can I use your tuner/software to REPLACE/OVERWRITE a BM3 tune already in my ECU?
What's the point when you already have the ability to return the car back to stock software within the BM3 portal in about ~2 min?

You should return to stock before loading a file from a different tuner. No need to introduce variables.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
Dr._Who124.50
AndrewC198910931.00
      09-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #56
Dr._Who
Banned
Rep
Drives: Tardis

Quote:
BootMod3 uses a "tuner" (a Rasperry Pi running custom software) to transfer tunes from a cell phone to the OBD port. Their "tuner" enables full tuning at the track without having to break out a laptop. Their tuner allows a cell phone to attach using WiFi. I've never had to use a laptop to flash a BM3 tune...

Is this what you are confused about?
Hey,

Ok., Yes, this is what had me !

I presume this is different from their "OBD Agent", which likewise allows your cell access via WiFi.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dr._Who; 09-26-2018 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #57
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
What's the point when you already have the ability to return the car back to stock software within the BM3 portal in about ~2 min?

You should return to stock before loading a file from a different tuner. No need to introduce variables.
OK, that's what I was planning..

BUT, the BM3 "factory tune" is unlocked. I also have the Original "factory tune". The difference is (or was), if I put back the "BM3" Factory Tune (unlocked), I can continue to flash the ECU with different BM3 tunes. If I put back the "Original" factory tune the ECU will be re-locked.

BM3 provided both factory tunes when they unlocked the ECU. I think the difference is that they simply overwrote the locking code in the tune for the BM3 version. Everything else is the same.

So, I can reload the factory tune in two different versions. One is locked and one is not. It used to be the case that, if I reloaded the locked original tune, I would have to remove the ECU again and send it back to be unlocked again. (This obviously may changed since they broke the lock codes).

From Carbahn's perspective:

- Would I need to put back the Locked factory tune?

- Does Carbahn similarly preserve the factory tune for reload? (I expect BM3 would not want to overlay someone elses tune either...)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #58
CarBahn Autoworks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm satisfied with that answer. Do you all work with BMW dealers if something went wrong?
Currently, we only have distribution online and through our two locations in San Jose and Mountain View. Beyond performance upgrades and running the IMSA team (two R8 GT4s), our day to day is BMW, Mercedes and Audi service and repair.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #59
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Lets try this again...

* Does Carbahn preserve the factory tune so it can be reflashed (for diagnostic purposes)?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #60
parabmw
Major
Rep

Has the crankhub issue been addressed by this tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #61
4everkidd
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Obviously you don't understand the failure...

The crank fails at stock levels; the crank seemingly fails more often at increased power levels.

Yes they have addressed the failure, in the form of a $15,000 engine rebuild. NOT in a tune.
Appreciate 3
HSF87ZED228.00
AndrewC198910931.00
ssgm1x418.50
      09-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #62
parabmw
Major
Rep

The point I'm making is exactly that...did they find any failures with the tune and if so could it be reduced by keeping tq levels low etc...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #63
CarBahn Autoworks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
We have identified this as one of the inherent weaknesses in the design of the S55. The power levels and delivery of our Stage 1 software is designed with this in mind. We also back this up with the matching 4yr/50k warranty, so that you can have a worry-free experience.
Appreciate 3
CSBM52721.00
ssgm1x418.50
minn1914028.50
      09-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #64
CarBahn Autoworks
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Lets try this again...

* Does Carbahn preserve the factory tune so it can be reflashed (for diagnostic purposes)?
Our software delivery tool will save your factory tune so that you can re-flash your car back to factory at any time you wish.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
minn1914028.50
      09-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #65
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Our software delivery tool will save your factory tune so that you can re-flash your car back to factory at any time you wish.
When flashed back...does the dealer never see that the car was tuned...or can they see that?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 09:39 PM   #66
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
When flashed back...does the dealer never see that the car was tuned...or can they see that?
The dealer don't care but BMW NA does... And yes, you can flash back or remove any tune, if BMW need to they can figure out if the car had a tune. Always depends how much time they want to spend. If you have a major engine damage, I'm pretty sure they gonna investigate.
Appreciate 1
minn1914028.50
Closed Thread