European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

Closed Thread

03-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #23
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: The Spirit of Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYF80 View Post
Is it me, or does the motor sound much better with the new manifold / turbo set up.
We couldn't agree with you more!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #24
bm3tuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, F80 M3

Great work all parties involved!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #25
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@KRATOS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYF80 View Post
Is it me, or does the motor sound much better with the new manifold / turbo set up.
We couldn't agree with you more!
Interested in more clear audio clips / videos. One major motivator to upgrade for me is to clean up the exhaust note. Looking for a hero in this department.

When i went single turbo on my 335i, i fell in love with the sound. M3 needs that in its life.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:11 AM   #26
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

How much of the hp/tq increase is from the motor alone?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #27
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoart View Post
How much of the hp/tq increase is from the motor alone?
Given that we did not change compression or displacement, part of the power/torque increase would come from the lighter rotating assembly as well as the cylinder head work done by Headgames. Having an experienced engine builder who knows the proper clearances and tolerances for the use and application is key as well. Of course with a built engine you also have the ability to run a more aggressive tune.

That being said, it's difficult to gauge the exact value as to how much more power/torque a customer can make with the built engine assembly over a stock engine at 22psi given all the variables stated above. However, from what we last recall this particular car produced in the neighborhood of 675whp at the same boost with the stock engine on pump E85.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #28
Faceplant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yas marina f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@KRATOS View Post
Since the car won't have driveshaft or axles before the track rental we purposely chose to run the R888R's rather than the MT ET Streets. Our plan is not to run the car hard from a dig to save the stock drivetrain. The sole purpose of the private track rental is to collect 60-130 data as well as 1/4 mile trap speed capabilities. The car was never built with the intent to drag race, but more so for beta testing and 1/2 mile racing. To be honest we'd rather leave that to the guys who purpose built their cars for the 1/4 mile. There will be plenty of them out there very soon with KRAS55Bi's installed!
Do you believe that the et streets would break something when not launching hard? Is the drivetrain that much of a concern that it can’t takw the torque? I come from the dsm game and from all my time launching cars with way more hp than designed for, bias ply tires are the answer. They absorb a lot of the shock. I’m pulling 1.5 60’s on my totally stock driveline “glass” dsm. Maybe that’s an option, expecially on a low psi setting to prevent hop and absorb shock.

Congrats on the power and I’m looking forward to cam options to see what else it can do. Nice to have all this info, with you logging shaft speeds ect. As a tuner, people don’t understand what your explaining concerning high rpm power without being able to really play with timing advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #29
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceplant View Post
Do you believe that the et streets would break something when not launching hard? Is the drivetrain that much of a concern that it can’t takw the torque? I come from the dsm game and from all my time launching cars with way more hp than designed for, bias ply tires are the answer. They absorb a lot of the shock. I’m pulling 1.5 60’s on my totally stock driveline “glass” dsm. Maybe that’s an option, expecially on a low psi setting to prevent hop and absorb shock.

Congrats on the power and I’m looking forward to cam options to see what else it can do. Nice to have all this info, with you logging shaft speeds ect. As a tuner, people don’t understand what your explaining concerning high rpm power without being able to really play with timing advance.
Broken stock axles have historically been linked to launching with full M/T slicks, but then again, these were tested against 800whp M3/M4s.

At 1150WHP, it's hard to say whether the axles would snap with M/T ET Street S/S at 1150WHP. My gut tells me no since you don't fully hook with drag radials.

The guys running full slicks, DSS axles, and line lock kit run high 1.6x 60' on average. Whereas I've only seen one instance of 1.6x 60' on DRs, while majority average 1.7x 60'. I guess this limitation is all part of having a non-mechanical LSD.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #30
Faceplant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Broken stock axles have historically been linked to launching with full M/T slicks, but then again, these were tested against 800whp M3/M4s.

At 1150WHP, it's hard to say whether the axles would snap with M/T ET Street S/S at 1150WHP. My gut tells me no since you don't fully hook with drag radials.

The guys running full slicks, DSS axles, and line lock kit run high 1.6x 60' on average. Whereas I've only seen one instance of 1.6x 60' on DRs, while majority average 1.7x 60'. I guess this limitation is all part of having a non-mechanical LSD.
All the drs have fairly stiff sidewalls for their compound. Drs usually break driveline parts before full bias ply drag slicks/dot slicks because of this. Shock is a driveline killer. This seems like a lost piece of info within lots of car types, especially the f80/c63 Guys. The evo/Nissan 240 chassis/high hp rx7 guys figured this out a long time ago. Those 3 examples all have weak factory driveline, but tires and driving style help them last.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #31
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
All the drs have fairly stiff sidewalls for their compound. Drs usually break driveline parts before full bias ply drag slicks/dot slicks because of this. Shock is a driveline killer. This seems like a lost piece of info within lots of car types, especially the f80/c63 Guys. The evo/Nissan 240 chassis/high hp rx7 guys figured this out a long time ago. Those 3 examples all have weak factory driveline, but tires and driving style help them last.
The general consensus on which tire compound breaks driveline parts is pretty mixed across various car forums. Some say DRs break more axles, others say full slicks do it more.

The only thing that everyone can agree on is that Radial tires have less rolling resistance than Bias Ply. This in turn allows for more slip, which IMO translates to less tension on the driveline versus a full slick that dead hooks from a dig, which equates to more tension.

Either way, people will need to pray nothing breaks when they hop off the line with non-reinforced driveline parts. FWIW, I've launched my measly sub 600whp M close to a hundred times, possibly more, on R compound and DRs with no broken axles (knock on wood).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #32
Faceplant
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
The general consensus on which tire compound breaks driveline parts is pretty mixed across various car forums. Some say DRs break more axles, others say full slicks do it more.

The only thing that everyone can agree on is that Radial tires have less rolling resistance than Bias Ply. This in turn allows for more slip, which IMO translates to less tension on the driveline versus a full slick that dead hooks from a dig, which equates to more tension.

Either way, people will need to pray nothing breaks when they hop off the line with non-reinforced driveline parts. FWIW, I've launched my measly sub 600whp M close to a hundred times, possibly more, on R compound and DRs with no broken axles (knock on wood).
I’m from the camp that shock is what beaks drivelines, but I see your point and understand where your coming from.

Last edited by Faceplant; 03-13-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:07 AM   #33
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

I really wonder how it feels to go WOT in this absolute monster!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #34
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbakam4 View Post
I really wonder how it feels to go WOT in this absolute monster!
On the flat torque curve map it should be fairly tame to control with some R888R's and will provide that constant pull to the moon in a nice linear fashion...it will feel amazing.

However the recent power curve with such high peaky torque will be a handful with any tire and the car will likely be uncontrollable in the throttle and on gear changes. Not ideal imo.
      03-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #35
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

Excellent Job guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:20 AM   #36
Whatcoloristhat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F8x

sub'd
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #37
TheMaster1971NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Holy Shit
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #38
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Can you run these turbos for a lower power setting like 650ish or would that not be a good setup
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #39
chewbakam4
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
On the flat torque curve map it should be fairly tame to control with some R888R's and will provide that constant pull to the moon in a nice linear fashion...it will feel amazing.

However the recent power curve with such high peaky torque will be a handful with any tire and the car will likely be uncontrollable in the throttle and on gear changes. Not ideal imo.
This will probably need serious drag radials to even have a chance of hooking up. Something like a MT ET or Hoosiers. Even R888 are probably completely useless!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #40
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

We appreciate the positive feedback!

The issue with running ET streets or any other sort of drag radial on our in house beta test cars is for a number of reasons. We do believe even though we wouldn't launch the car hard, the high torque output would pose an issue with the stock drivetrain. Also, the intentions for our beta test vehicles were for durability/reliability testing, dyno testing, and logging performance data to provide to our customers. Drag racing was not something we intended to do with these vehicles, hence the reason why they still have stock drivetrains and why we chose to use R888R's vs. drag radials. Not to mention that these are street cars and it's our contention that bias ply drag radials are extremely unsafe to be used on a daily basis at speed unless you're planning on only going straight or drag racing at the track, which then makes the vehicle very one dimensional for our purposes. That's not to say there won't be plenty of 1/4 mile data available very soon as many pre-orders are scheduled to start shipping in the next few weeks!

Last edited by Sales@KRATOS; 03-18-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #41
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
Can you run these turbos for a lower power setting like 650ish or would that not be a good setup
One of the greatest aspects of our turbo system is the fact that you can produce above current single turbo peak horsepower outputs while at the same having the driveability and usable powerband of stock style fitment twin turbos. That being said, our KRAS55Bi will produce 650whp at much lower boost levels than other other upgraded twin turbo offerings on the market as well as much more usable power and torque than any custom single or custom twin turbo offerings. With the KRAS55Bi you no longer have to sacrifice drivability and usable powerband to produce big horsepower figures, which is one of the many drawbacks when having to convert to custom large frame single or twin turbos.
Appreciate 1
      03-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #42
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The development car in the video has stock drivetrain (stock axles, driveshaft etc.) and is not meant to be a prepped drag car. This car is better suited for ½ mile as opposed to ¼ mile testing. As a result of the stock drivetrain we did not launch the car. Even spinning through all of 1st, 2nd and pedaling through 3rd, while short shifting, the car put up a very respectable 149.54mph as per the dragy. Boost was limited to 30 PSI (Approximately High 800whp) to try to cope with traction problems but even still, the car was spinning! We feel that customers with similar builds on the same KRAS55Bi's at 41psi (1150whp) with the correct wheel/tire combo and drivetrain upgrades can easily accomplish high 150mph passes and quite possibly 160mph down the 1/4 mile!

Our intention was not to get an ET. Drag racing was not something we intended to do with our development cars; we tested the car at the ¼ to have a rough idea as to the MPH it will run. That being said, plenty of ¼ mile data will be available as pre-order units begin shipping in the next few weeks!

Please contact info@asrkratos.com if you are interested in reserving one of said pre-order units.

Last edited by Sales@KRATOS; 03-18-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #43
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

What were the numbers that you guys made on just 91 octane?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #44
Sales@KRATOS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjaspreet View Post
What were the numbers that you guys made on just 91 octane?
Attached is our original press release with both pump 93 octane and E85 dyno results as we don't have access to 91 octane in our area. Keep in kind these results were with our previous version compressor design as our latest and current compressor wheel flows more lbs/min and is more efficient. Also, we've found that pump gas numbers are more a limitation of octane rather than mechanical limitations of our hardware.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1557398
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread