proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

04-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #155
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82, 996 Turbo S, E46 & E36

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4. Weekend car w/ track focus. Just added GC Camber plates. MP HAS set to BMW recommend height. Been on car for years. My prior alignment had -1.5 camber front (and, about the same in rear).

So, after install of Camber plates and new alignment -2.5 camber front, I noticed the front end is about 1/2” lower. No changes rear height on MP HAS.

So, does the increase in front negative camber result in the front end being lower? Regardless, I’d like the MP HAS to maintain BMW recommendations. Or, if anything, maybe lower front and rear together w/ rear slightly more. Now, the front is higher than rear which I want to avoid. I understand corner balancing may help, yet, I’m in Sacramento and haven’t found a highly recommended shop. Obviously, I can change height myself.

Did the new alignment (-2.5 front camber) cause the front height to drop .5 inches? If I increase front height, does that effect the -2.5 front camber? What do you think? I read on a Miata forum that adding 1 degree negative camber results in 1” drop for what it’s worth.
Attached Images

Last edited by VeloF1; 04-25-2021 at 05:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #156
Driver407
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 M3, 02' E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeloF1 View Post
2015 M4. Weekend car w/ track focus. Just added GC Camber plates. MP HAS set to BMW recommend height. Been on car for years. My prior alignment had -1.5 camber front (and, about the same in rear).

So, after install of Camber plates and new alignment -2.5 camber front, I noticed the front end is about 1/2” lower. No changes rear height on MP HAS.

So, does the increase in front negative camber result in the front end being lower? Regardless, I’d like the MP HAS to maintain BMW recommendations. Or, if anything, maybe lower front and rear together w/ rear slightly more. Now, the front is higher than rear which I want to avoid. I understand corner balancing may help, yet, I’m in Sacramento and haven’t found a highly recommended shop. Obviously, I can change height myself.

Did the new alignment (-2.5 front camber) cause the front height to drop .5 inches? If I increase front height, does that effect the -2.5 front camber? What do you think? I read on a Miata forum that adding 1 degree negative camber results in 1” drop for what it’s worth.
Hi Eric, I shoulda mentioned when we chatted at the track. You seem to be aiming for what I also run. 2.5f T:1/16in and 1.6r T:3/16in. Ive been happy with the wear so far. I did 6 track days on my first set of NT01 and 2 days on my new set. Street setup also going strong. Is a nice balance for track and daily imo.

I had Valley Motorworks in sac do my track alignment and corner balance. They did a good job and the price wasnt too bad. I sat in the car. If you want installs and other labor id look elsewhere they are kinda overpriced for most things ive quoted. But alignment and all was decent.

You shouldnt be dropping just from the camber angle adjustments alone. (Im not an expert, so take that as you will, someone else can chime in) It will angle the top of the wheel inward toward the hood slightly which can look funny if you dont have spacers or proper offset aftermarket wheels.

Not sure if the GC plates are differently sized from the oem hats. Maybe there are a few mm there? Either way I dont think it should be a 1/2 inch.
TC Kline coilovers and camber plates, Apex 18" EC-7, Conti ECF 295r/275f, monoball thrustarms, SPL toe arms, Powerflex diff bushings/bracket, AP Racing 9660, Project Mu H21, Spiegler brake lines, AA midpipe, VTT crankhub, VRSF charge/j pipe, Turner tray, BM3 CS
Youtube: Driver407

Last edited by Driver407; 04-25-2021 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
VeloF1318.00
      04-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #157
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irokdayellup View Post
Hi Eric, I shoulda mentioned when we chatted at the track. You seem to be aiming for what I also run. 2.5f T:1/16in and 1.6r T:3/16in. Ive been happy with the wear so far. I did 6 track days on my first set of NT01 and 2 days on my new set. Street setup also going strong. Is a nice balance for track and daily imo.

I had Valley Motorworks in sac do my track alignment and corner balance. They did a good job and the price wasnt too bad. I sat in the car. If you want installs and other labor id look elsewhere they are kinda overpriced for most things ive quoted. But alignment and all was decent.

You shouldnt be dropping just from the camber angle adjustments alone. (Im not an expert, so take that as you will, someone else can chime in) It will angle the top of the wheel inward toward the hood slightly which can look funny if you dont have spacers or proper offset aftermarket wheels.

Not sure if the GC plates are differently sized from the oem hats. Maybe there are a few mm there? Either way I dont think it should be a 1/2 inch.
I just added pix of Alignment to my post. Any further thoughts? Thanks for the recommendation of Valley Motorwerks!
      04-26-2021, 10:42 AM   #158
F80Speed77
Grid.Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:

-2.5deg is probably the minimum for what you want in street/track compromise you could probably go up to -3deg if you want a little more track focus. Ideal track is -4+deg for the sticky 200TW tires and probably closer to -5 for R compounds.

Camber change does not affect ride height but adding the GC plates may have, most likely they are a little shorter than the stock top hats. Adjusting ride height will mess with your alignment some.

Also never apply anything from a Miata forum to this car haha, completely different suspension design at both the front and rear of the car. We have lots of good helpers in here with a bunch of experience.
Appreciate 2
VeloF1318.00
EGbeater116.50
      05-15-2021, 01:07 AM   #159
rborane
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

MCS 1WNR - 600/900 spring rates

Front:
-2.2 camber
+.03 toe

Rear:
-1.7 camber
+.06 toe

Corner weights:
LF 1011, RF 1003, RR 901, LR 912
Appreciate 1
RSXDC5707.00
      05-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #160
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

installing GC plates nor changing camber should alter ride height to a meaningful degree.

Did you actually measure the ride height? Or is it only your perception? Because more negative camber will tuck the top of the wheel inside the fender, and will look like it sits lower, but it really does not.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
VeloF1318.00
      05-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #161
USSEnterprise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
installing GC plates nor changing camber should alter ride height to a meaningful degree.

Did you actually measure the ride height? Or is it only your perception? Because more negative camber will tuck the top of the wheel inside the fender, and will look like it sits lower, but it really does not.
I know GC says the stack height of their camber plates is the same as stock, however I too lost front ride height when I installed GC camber plates. Noticeably more rubbing of the front splitter on driveway and roads where there wasn’t rubbing before. Cant explain it.
Appreciate 1
VeloF1318.00
      05-15-2021, 09:52 PM   #162
VeloF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

I did the measurement per the MP HAS manual. And, rechecked after break-in period. However, I didn’t check measurement immediately prior to the install of the plates. So, I’m not 100% confidant.

Ps: I did use your settings w/ slight modification at Sonoma raceway a couple days ago. I like it.
      07-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #163
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
I was having a hard time finding current thread discussions on this but I'm more interested in street specs. could someone review this and give me any input. I'm thinking about raising the rear a little. not sure how dealer measured those but I measured it myself from bottom lip of wheel to fender and it's 24.75 inch front and 24.25 rear. alignment was done on 19" wheels but I'm running oem 666m now and the ride height I checked myself was with those new wheels. running bilstein b16d, otherwise stock with cs edc on a non zcp f82.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

just realized those pics didn't upload right. on my phone the text looks garbled. will try to reupload.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #164
Matt Liang
Rep
Drives: Bmw F80 M3

Name:  4AB96AC5-C712-4258-96A2-D7BC5BB207D1.jpeg
Views: 1180
Size:  319.1 KB

This is the wheel alignment I’ve done for today on my 2017 f80, ran 41000km
There is obvious differences of the camber and toe angle of the rear wheels.
Can anyone tell this difference is relatively acceptable or need to change any parts in my chassis?
Or any good suggestion/method to correct this alignment?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:34 PM   #165
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Liang View Post
Attachment 2708313

This is the wheel alignment I’ve done for today on my 2017 f80, ran 41000km
There is obvious differences of the camber and toe angle of the rear wheels.
Can anyone tell this difference is relatively acceptable or need to change any parts in my chassis?
Or any good suggestion/method to correct this alignment?
Rear camber and toe are both adjustable and relatively easily. Would definitely have the rear aligned and while you’re at it, the front toe.

Without aftermarket camber plates, the front camber is not adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #166
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Hi,

I need some help. Please understand that I don't have a great vocabulary for mechanicals even though I'm a decently fast driver. I'm like Cole Trickle

I recently received my Vorschlag Camber Plates...
1) Where is a good place in Los Angeles to have these installed? I should do the install at a shop that also does alignment?
2) What setting do I want to instruct the shop to set?
- I use my 2018 M4 Competition Package mostly for track duty. I drive to and from the track and on occasion drive around time but very limited.
- I run Apex 18" wheels with Nitto NT01 275x35x18

What setting do I ask for on the front camber plates? What setting do I ask for on the factory rear?
Is there anything else I need to be aware of or ask for?

Thanks,

I should probably add, the main reason for my camber plates is to prolong tire life for track usage. I'm not as concerned about track time/speed performance.
I do drive to and from the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:01 AM   #167
silverbackf8x
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 & F82

^ Highly recommend EAS - European Auto Source in Anaheim, CA for all ///M performance related parts and installation. Chewerks in Garden Grove is the Go To for setting up alignments … Both respected, reliable and dependable establishments.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:03 AM   #168
silverbackf8x
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
Hi, .
What suspension setup are you running?
Are you running a square 275 setup?
Do you plan of changing the camber to a more aggressive setting at the track or drive/track as set?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 01:20 AM   #169
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
Hi,

I need some help. Please understand that I don't have a great vocabulary for mechanicals even though I'm a decently fast driver. I'm like Cole Trickle

I recently received my Vorschlag Camber Plates...
1) Where is a good place in Los Angeles to have these installed? I should do the install at a shop that also does alignment?
2) What setting do I want to instruct the shop to set?
- I use my 2018 M4 Competition Package mostly for track duty. I drive to and from the track and on occasion drive around time but very limited.
- I run Apex 18" wheels with Nitto NT01 275x35x18

What setting do I ask for on the front camber plates? What setting do I ask for on the factory rear?
Is there anything else I need to be aware of or ask for?

Thanks,

I should probably add, the main reason for my camber plates is to prolong tire life for track usage. I'm not as concerned about track time/speed performance.
I do drive to and from the track.
I'll give you a starting point for a good alignment. Then you can tweak from there

F
Camber -3.1x (Low 3.1)
Toe In 0.05(+/- 0.01)degrees per side

R
Camber -1.6x (Low 1.6)
Toe In 0.10(+/- 0.01)degrees per side

NT01 hot pressure target start 32psi Hot F&R.
Adjust as necessary to your liking for Under/Over steer balance +\- 1-2 PSi F/R

Have Fun!
      11-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #170
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Hey guys, I have a F80 that's a daily driver and occasional HPDE. Recently got an alignment to -2.5 / -1.6 camber, 0 toe / slight toe in rear. Pretty happy with those settings on paper, will do a DE and see.

In the process found out front tie rods were seized and had to torch them and luckily didn't need to replace tie rods. Got me started reading suspension arms and alignments and saw a few users here with alignments that drifted with the stock eccentrics after track days.

1. Is this more of an issue with the faster/hardcore guys or is this pretty prevalent even with the dual duty guys on 200tw street tires like me? The OEM arms + camber plates have gotten the alignment I think will work, so I want to do the minimal I need to have fun, but also don't want to be second guessing if my alignment drifted after every track day.

2. I ended up buying OEM front tie rod and will just go ahead and replace them before my next alignment instead of dealing w/ potentially seized tie rods, looks like a nice piece with OEM pinch bolt. Do aftermarket tie rod ends offer significantly better ease of adjustment?

3. Seems like in regards to the rear, if indeed stock eccentrics drifting after track days is an issue the minimum to do would be toe arms + lockout washer and something like the Fall Line camber shims.

I was originally going to do a couple DEs and figure this out next spring, but there's some decent sales going on and wanted to see if anyone went through the same process maybe will just go ahead and take advantage of sales and get things done this winter. TIA.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 11-23-2021 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #171
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyouduh View Post
Hey guys, I have a F80 that's a daily driver and occasional HPDE. Recently got an alignment to -2.5 / -1.6 camber, 0 toe / slight toe in rear. Pretty happy with those settings on paper, will do a DE and see.

In the process found out front tie rods were seized and had to torch them and luckily didn't need to replace tie rods. Got me started reading suspension arms and alignments and saw a few users here with alignments that drifted with the stock eccentrics after track days.

1. Is this more of an issue with the faster/hardcore guys or is this pretty prevalent even with the dual duty guys on 200tw street tires like me? The OEM arms + camber plates have gotten the alignment I think will work, so I want to do the minimal I need to have fun, but also don't want to be second guessing if my alignment drifted after every track day.

2. I ended up buying OEM front tie rod and will just go ahead and replace them before my next alignment instead of dealing w/ potentially seized tie rods, looks like a nice piece with OEM pinch bolt. Do aftermarket tie rod ends offer significantly better ease of adjustment?

3. Seems like in regards to the rear, if indeed stock eccentrics drifting after track days is an issue the minimum to do would be toe arms + lockout washer and something like the Fall Line camber shims.

I was originally going to do a couple DEs and figure this out next spring, but there's some decent sales going on and wanted to see if anyone went through the same process maybe will just go ahead and take advantage of sales and get things done this winter. TIA.
We've found the rear eccentrics for toe have walked. Both times we suspect from an off track excursion. Have since moved to SPL toe arms with an eccentric delete. Easier to adjust and more robust then an eccentric. Rear toe is now rock solid and have mowed the lawn a few more times. Rear toe arms were relatively inexpensive. Rear camber has never moved for us and we are still using the stock eccentric.

The front toe has never moved. Every car that I've driven on the street will have tie rods siezed. But they don't move once set!!! Front camber moved once on a TC Kline camber plate but I think it's because the the bolts weren't tightened enough.
Appreciate 2
heyyouduh134.00
EGbeater116.50
      11-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #172
heyyouduh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
We've found the rear eccentrics for toe have walked. Both times we suspect from an off track excursion. Have since moved to SPL toe arms with an eccentric delete. Easier to adjust and more robust then an eccentric. Rear toe is now rock solid and have mowed the lawn a few more times. Rear toe arms were relatively inexpensive. Rear camber has never moved for us and we are still using the stock eccentric.

The front toe has never moved. Every car that I've driven on the street will have tie rods siezed. But they don't move once set!!! Front camber moved once on a TC Kline camber plate but I think it's because the the bolts weren't tightened enough.
Thanks for the feedback, good to know the OEM eccentric for camber stays true although the shim kit is very affordable. I'll look into the toe arms for the rear. SPL has a 20% off sale for Black Friday I believe.

re tie rods, the OEM piece looks nice. I bought Lemforder tie rod assy (inner, outter, the boot that goes over steering rack end lol) from FCP just in case my alignment guy couldn't unseize them, but fortunately he did.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #173
CeglA
Private
Rep

I dont want to post new topic so I will try to ask here.
I made suspension geometry today. They asked me if I want track of daily settings. I sad daily. I dont track my car.
My current rear settings:
Left chamber -2.00, TOE 0.09
Right chamber -2.00, TOE 0.07
From what I read here this settings are probably too aggressive for daily drive? Could somebody confirm? I drive quite hard but I would like to have good traction on first gears during acceleration.
Is it worth to change rear chamber settings to around 1.4? Will I notice any improvement? Or maybe its worth to stay with 2.0?

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by CeglA; 03-17-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 09:40 AM   #174
rborane
Captain
Rep

Thoughts on alignment sheet below? Daily driver with MCS 1WNR , SPL toe arms & Vorshlag camber plates. The shop calls this their "street sport" spec. I don't want to be going through tires quick…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2022, 09:16 PM   #175
silverbackf8x
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rborane View Post
Thoughts on alignment sheet below? Daily driver with MCS 1WNR , SPL toe arms & Vorshlag camber plates. The shop calls this their "street sport" spec. I don't want to be going through tires quick…
I’d say that’s about right for what they are labeling/setting up as their camber package. Toe will effect the wear of the tire more so than camber. I tried going back and forth from a street setup to full track camber spec but in my opinion it wasn’t worth the time spent to swap things around.

I’m also running MCS Coilovers with Vorshlag Camber Plates and SPL suspension arms. My Track Spec Alignment was set by Rob at Chewerks. I leave it as is, just swap wheels at the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #176
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeglA View Post
I dont want to post new topic so I will try to ask here.
I made suspension geometry today. They asked me if I want track of daily settings. I sad daily. I dont track my car.
My current rear settings:
Left chamber -2.00, TOE 0.09
Right chamber -2.00, TOE 0.07
From what I read here this settings are probably too aggressive for daily drive? Could somebody confirm? I drive quite hard but I would like to have good traction on first gears during acceleration.
Is it worth to change rear chamber settings to around 1.4? Will I notice any improvement? Or maybe its worth to stay with 2.0?

Regards,
Chris
IMO changing your rear negative camber from 2 degrees to 1.4 won't make that much difference in your grip in 1st and 2nd gear under hard acceleration. What will make a larger improvement is the rear tires you run (the type/compound more so than the width) and the tire sidewall height... shorter sidewall, lower profile/larger wheeldiameter will substantially reduce how much inherent compliance the tire has under hard acceleration and therefore grip. All else equal, a 35-series tire has substantially more compliance for longitudinal grip than a 30- or 25-series.
PM ME FOR USED F8x PARTS! What's left: brand-new pair of VNE front brake rotors; used Ferodo DS3.12 and PFC08 front track pads and used Stoptech Sport and OEM rear brake pads; Apex wheel black center caps (brand new, never used) qty 3
MEDIA: @panda_exprs youtube.com/user/EGbeater/videos
Appreciate 0