ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 comp 6MT, 993 C2S

Heel N Toe pedal recommendation please

For those of you who are still rowing gears:

Was at the track Sunday and was finding my footwork to not be as smooth as I'd like. My foot was often getting caught or snagged between brake and throttle.
I'm thinking I want to upgrade my pedal hardware to something that makes heel -n-toe a little easier to smash.

Yes, I know my car has auto blip but that's no fun.

What do you recommend for pedals?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 06:58 PM   #2
bimmerboyE92
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Are you wearing real driving shoes? Like these?

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/sp-shoe

I can't heel toe without them in cars where the gas pedals hangs. BMW the pedal is mounted to floor. But in my Miata the gas pedal hangs and I can only heel toe with driving shoes on.

Also, I don't actually use my heel. I do plant my big toe squarely on the pedal, but I kinda roll my ankle (as if you would sprain it while walking) and use the side of the shoe to blip the gas. Big toe is really good at trail braking too!
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

^ spot on about the ball and toe on the brake combined with the ankle roll to blip the gas. It requires loads of practice and repition. Fancy pedals aren't needed imo. And, I honestly can't tell the difference after I bought $325 Alpinestars. But they look and feel bad ass.

Bravo for disabling auto blip.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #4
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
^ spot on about the ball and toe on the brake combined with the ankle roll to blip the gas. It requires loads of practice and repition. Fancy pedals aren't needed imo. And, I honestly can't tell the difference after I bought $325 Alpinestars. But they look and feel bad ass.

Same here on the technique. If your car is a daily driver, force yourself to do this in regular traffic. It's actually more difficult because you typically are only applying light brake pressure, but if you can get smooth with it on the street, it will be a breeze at the track. I agree that you can get smooth with this on stock pedals; Bimmerworld used to offer a set of nice grippy pedal covers that you'd screw on to existing pedals, but I don't see them available on the website currently. I have them on my car, for accelerator it does extend the width of the pedal some towards the brake, so they could help in that regard.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're still there: https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Inte...nsmission.html
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #5
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post

Same here on the technique. If your car is a daily driver, force yourself to do this in regular traffic. It's actually more difficult because you typically are only applying light brake pressure, but if you can get smooth with it on the street, it will be a breeze at the track. I agree that you can get smooth with this on stock pedals; Bimmerworld used to offer a set of nice grippy pedal covers that you'd screw on to existing pedals, but I don't see them available on the website currently. I have them on my car, for accelerator it does extend the width of the pedal some towards the brake, so they could help in that regard.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're still there: https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Inte...nsmission.html
Yes! I find that practicing on the street requires spirited driving to do it smoothly, at least for me. Under light braking there isn't really enough pedal travel for the ankle roll to reach the gas.

But I imagine we are all guilty of practicing techniques on the street. I mean who here doesn't apex highway on/off ramps.
Appreciate 2
      09-23-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I usually wear racing shoes though admittedly I couldn't find them for Sunday.

I used to track my 993 and even with shoes found that my heel n toes were only 90% executed with stock pedals. A long time ago, I upgraded them with more robust plates and it made the heel n toe much more accessible. And yeah, I use my inside foot abd outside foot and swing the knee.

If you look at most race cars they usually have plates that make the throttle wider and longer and easier to grab. It's a cheat but it works really well.

Again, I can heel n toe well enough on stock pedals in any car it's just not as reliable as I would like. And to me track driving is about consistency.

I don't want to think about foot work. I just wanna do footwork. If that makes sense?
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Throttle View Post
For those of you who are still rowing gears:

Was at the track Sunday and was finding my footwork to not be as smooth as I'd like. My foot was often getting caught or snagged between brake and throttle.
I'm thinking I want to upgrade my pedal hardware to something that makes heel -n-toe a little easier to smash.

Yes, I know my car has auto blip but that's no fun.

What do you recommend for pedals?
The Turner pedals are excellent. Smooth surface on the accelerator but gripped surface on the brake and clutch. Assists in easier heel-toe because there isn't any resistance as you swivel right foot to/from the accelerator pedal.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...ssion/?pdk=AAI

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 05:16 PM   #8
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm thinking I like the Rennline with the Heel n Toe extensions.

https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Al...o/P71%2E%2E60/
Appreciate 3
      09-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #9
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Monkey Throttle might take a look at these too https://www.srpracing.com/pd-3-and-4...ing-pedals.cfm
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 09:56 PM   #10
TractionControlDelete
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82-E92 M3-E46 M3-E30-S1K-330i

Garage List
2004 X5  [9.00]
2006 325i  [10.00]
2021 S1000RR  [9.50]
2006 330i  [7.75]
1986 325e  [10.00]
2005 M3  [7.40]
2009 M3  [8.63]
2018 M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Monkey Throttle might take a look at these too https://www.srpracing.com/pd-3-and-4...ing-pedals.cfm
These seem great! Would've definitely bought these if I didn't already have the Turner ones.

https://youtube.com/@tractioncontroldelete
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
Monkey Throttle
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I like those too!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #12
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Are you wearing real driving shoes? Like these?

https://www.alpinestars.com/products/sp-shoe

I can't heel toe without them in cars where the gas pedals hangs. BMW the pedal is mounted to floor. But in my Miata the gas pedal hangs and I can only heel toe with driving shoes on.

Also, I don't actually use my heel. I do plant my big toe squarely on the pedal, but I kinda roll my ankle (as if you would sprain it while walking) and use the side of the shoe to blip the gas. Big toe is really good at trail braking too!
That’s exactly how I heel toe.
Appreciate 0