Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #67
TrueNorthM5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White BMW M3 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobe92 View Post
Agreed, it happens to both factory and aftermarket tune M3/M4's. I was merely implying that an aftermarket malware tune exacerbates it. That the ratio between factory and molested motors with engine failure is lopsided.
LOL.
      10-23-2019, 09:55 AM   #68
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I double track my CS, 40 days this season, and make sure to keep the engine and exhaust stock so that if I have a problem BMW will cover it

I live in exactly zero fear of problems. That's why it's under warranty and that's why I don't make 550whp. The car is plenty fast at the track without modding power.
What's interesting is that BMW can still void your warranty for abuse. Especially if you run different wheels/tires that put the car under more strenuous conditions than it was designed for.

So don't go lying to the dealer if you need warranty work, ok?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #69
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
What's interesting is that BMW can still void your warranty for abuse. Especially if you run different wheels/tires that put the car under more strenuous conditions than it was designed for.

So don't go lying to the dealer if you need warranty work, ok?
You can HPDE all you want with the car and if it has an issue it's covered by BMW regardless of what your dealer says.

I've already needed warranty work, drove it to the dealer with the stickers and rubber goo all over the car.

As far as wheels/tires, I'll let you know once my hub spins -inevitable according to some- and it goes to BMW. I keep street legal tires on the car always.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:15 PM   #70
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyos_F82 View Post
Nothing crazy, just downpipes and full E.

Oh you know, only pushing the stock turbos to the max about 580, no biggie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      10-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #71
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

I've had BM3 since 2016. Went full E85 in March this year and spun after 3 days. Still under warranty but decided to just pay SSR and get the car back asap. Took about 5 days. Car is a 6MT 587WHP . Doesn't cost a lot for a repair with the MaxPSI hub. Give Shah a call at SSR Performance
16 F82 M4 Frequency Intelligent F1 Exhaust - VRSF downpipes - BBS CI-R custom finish - H&R Springs - Injen DCI intake - CG Precision Valve Controller - BootMod3 full E85 - Custom Roll Cage - Varis Diffuser - PSM GT Wing - V style Lip
https://www.instagram.com/m4_teh/
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2019, 01:56 PM   #72
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
You can HPDE all you want with the car and if it has an issue it's covered by BMW regardless of what your dealer says.

I've already needed warranty work, drove it to the dealer with the stickers and rubber goo all over the car.

As far as wheels/tires, I'll let you know once my hub spins -inevitable according to some- and it goes to BMW. I keep street legal tires on the car always.
And as was stated in this thread, there are people that have had warranty repairs after tuning. Doesn't mean it's covered in the warranty agreement. I've seen many stories from BMW, Subaru, etc. where dealers refuse warranty work due to videos of track days. So good luck. YMMV.

Ultimately the point of warranty is to cover OEM-caused failures. If it's a design issue, they should cover it. It doesn't matter what you did or how you did it. They use you enjoying your car as a way to skip out on owning up to their problems. That's why historically litigation has forced OEMs to open up their requirements to maintain a warranty. Because it was and still is very one-sided.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #73
ByeFelicia
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

Step back and relax with the virtue signaling.

Nobody cares you're a track guy with a stock engine and exhaust.

Bootmod3, BPM and even the HOLY GRAIL DINAN...amongst other tuners/companies success should paint a vivid picture that people want more than just "stock"
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #74
theweebabySeamus
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by climax_e92 View Post
I've had BM3 since 2016. Went full E85 in March this year and spun after 3 days. Still under warranty but decided to just pay SSR and get the car back asap. Took about 5 days. Car is a 6MT 587WHP . Doesn't cost a lot for a repair with the MaxPSI hub. Give Shah a call at SSR Performance
Doesn't NOT cost a lot though. Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:41 PM   #75
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

I don't know if you're upset because the other fella has the disposable income to track his car or you're simply just a BM3 fan boi, I cannot decide. I'm not against aftermarket tunes for as long as you can write a check for a new motor when it implodes and not cry over it or throw a tantrum here in the forum like what OP did. Immortal words from Top Gun. "Your ego is writing checks your body cannot cash." Lol. Besides, what's wrong with being a Track Rat?
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #76
LATTES
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I asked the dealer they said warranty won't cover this, cause they know how u drove it, how long u hold the redline , and reject u since it's due to driving behavior. Similarly they know u tuned it. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #77
Beemerm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW m3

The thread made 4 pages since yesterday. BMW will know if they look up the forum.
I do think u take it in for warranty work. Save the money from warranty maybe buy a maxpsi crankhub to upgrade.
Risky car to buy from the start . People will think twice about buying one. N later depreciation will hit harder than usual.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:42 PM   #78
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

Sorry to hear about this OP

Mine spun with a VF tune awhile back. Long story short, required a new engine for around 30k out of pocket (that is only for the engine block, price does not include turbos, pulleys, and assorted hardware). Details of my experience in the thread below. FYI, don't waste your time flashing back to stock. BMW Corp will know you flashed back as there will be no FASTA data recorded in the DME.

Spun hub occurrences vary in damage, resolution can be as easy as a retiming or engine replacement.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1506870

Last edited by ctgeorge; 10-24-2019 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 3
      10-24-2019, 01:19 AM   #79
DanMpower
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3s and a Red VW

I don't know why some of you are being a dick to the OP when he is down or just plain trying to scare him...

OP, I DOUBT you'll need a new engine.

Put it back to stock, be upfront with the dealership and tell them you were tuned and see if they can help. They won't touch the car at all if you go in with downpipes and tune still installed. I'm sure BMW knows there are issues with the crank hub and they'll probably help you out.

Worst-case scenario you need a new engine and they deny you, have it towed home and get a low mileage used long block from eBay for between $6-7k, if you're mechanically inclined DIY and swap it out yourself or find a good indy shop. You should be back on the road for probably 75 percent less than what BMW will charge you.

Keep your head up and good luck!
Appreciate 4
Gtracer52.50
Ghosn463.50
      10-24-2019, 01:34 AM   #80
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
I don't know if you're upset because the other fella has the disposable income to track his car or you're simply just a BM3 fan boi, I cannot decide. I'm not against aftermarket tunes for as long as you can write a check for a new motor when it implodes and not cry over it or throw a tantrum here in the forum like what OP did. Immortal words from Top Gun. "Your ego is writing checks your body cannot cash." Lol. Besides, what's wrong with being a Track Rat?

where is he crying over it or throwing a tantrum? he said hes trying it out; and he got the money to cover it

edit: im so sick of the hysteria "oh a new engine cost 30k" GTFO you can get used running WHOLE CARS for like 35k
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 06:55 AM   #81
jacobe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Hell Rot F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
Quote:

where is he crying over it or throwing a tantrum? he said hes trying it out; and he got the money to cover it

edit: im so sick of the hysteria "oh a new engine cost 30k" GTFO you can get used running WHOLE CARS for like 35k
Oh, my buddy and I got a bill for that kind of money when we blew our Rod Bearings 8 yrs ago. Mind you, this all happened in the span of two months from each other. Furthermore, the same dealership where we got the car from, also use to sell the same Supercharger/Tune from one of the guys here that chimed in. And that same friend of mine had to write a scary letter to that company, so they would own up to their Supercharger/Tune. Part of his refund agreement was to never disclose what happened to him here. Why is it that every person I know who had the same Supercharger/Tune blew up their motors? In the end, the same dealership and a few INDY shops that I know stopped selling their stuff.

OP "Who started this thread" I should have been more sensitive to your plight. For that, I apologize and take back everything I said about what happened to you. But I still stand by my statement about all the Malware Tunes that are sold in this forum. I hate em all, and I'll continue to preach and spew my discontent for them.

In closing, and this only applies to anyone who don't want to be in the same predicament as OP. Don't put an aftermarket Malware Tune if you still want to continue having motor warranty. I don't have it, because it's the most expensive part of the car. And if you still insist in the extra power, build the motor internals to withstand the extra horsepower and torque. It's what I would do. For now, since I have mods for my suspension, brakes and other much less expensive stuff. I'm prepared to pay out of pocket if they refuse warranty.
2016 Hellrot F80 M3|JRZ RS Pro with Swift Springs 550/750 spring rates l AP Radical 5000R 9668/9449 lSpiegler SS LinesI DS1.11I Eisenmann DP|MPE Catback|18" Forgeline GS1R 18x10 et 22 and 18x11 et 44 NT01 275/35/18 and 305/35/18| Forgeline GTD1 18x10et43 SquarelM Performance Lip/Splitter|IND aesthetic mods|Dinan Toe Link|Fall Line mono ball conversion kit and upper link kit| Aim Solo 2DL Smarty Cam|Simpson Hybrid|Stilo Offshore helmet.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      10-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #82
ctgeorge
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CIVIC M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
A new engine comes with a 2-year unlimited mile warranty. Can't say the same about a used non-CPO car for 35k. With that said, one can find a used engine for half the price of new. Some with even coming with a decent warranty.

If I had to do it again I would have bought a rebuilt engine from Carbahnautoworks. Their engine is bulletproof compared to BMW's factory offering.

https://carbahnautoworks.com/product...m3-f82-f83-m4/

Last edited by ctgeorge; 10-24-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #83
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
I was not planning on keeping the car past spring. Hence I did not reinforce it. Lesson learned.
In other words, I bought the car to not respect it as a machine whatsoever, tuned it to be fast and flashy, didn't give a fuck about supporting mods because, Hey, soon it'll be someone elses problem, right?

This post makes my distaste for the new-school BMW community even worse.

You gambled, you lost. Stop trying to be fraudulent, stop trying to pawn the consequence of your poor decision off on others.

Take it on the chin like an adult and pay to play.

Smh....

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
///JPL3.00
brian30tw131.00
      10-24-2019, 11:58 AM   #84
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
In other words, I bought the car to not respect it as a machine whatsoever, tuned it to be fast and flashy, didn't give a fuck about supporting mods because, Hey, soon it'll be someone elses problem, right?

This post makes my distaste for the new-school BMW community even worse.

You gambled, you lost. Stop trying to be fraudulent, stop trying to pawn the consequence of your poor decision off on others.

Take it on the chin like an adult and pay to play.

Smh....

If you read anything else you would see that I am owning up to it and will pay for it out of pocket if I need to. Regardless of what was done to my car this is a fault that all of our cars have. If they did not have it then there would be 0 posts about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 12:30 PM   #85
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
If you read anything else you would see that I am owning up to it and will pay for it out of pocket if I need to. Regardless of what was done to my car this is a fault that all of our cars have. If they did not have it then there would be 0 posts about it.
Believe me, I've read every post here. What I do see is you again saying 'if I need to' which indicates to me you still intend to try to have bmw cover it as if the car were bone stock.

It's a common failure mode, largely isolated to those motors which have owners abuse the car (Every person I know who has spun drives their car in a manner in which I would never treat mine), and almost every single one is tuned.

The OEM has a responsibility to cover the part if it has a failure within an otherwise all stock environment - any part that can't be connected directly to the failure is irrelevant in this statement due to the M&M act. The boost being increased, backpressure being lowered and car pushing 30-40% more output than design spec called for is NOT BMWs responsibility. It's yours. And you again neglect that by qualifying the repair out of pocket as an 'if I need to' scenario.

If you were honest or had high integrity you'd have realized what you're contemplating here is flat out fraud.

fly by night ET chasers - this is not the platform for you guys.

*EDIT* - To head it off at the pass, I'm not meaning drive it like a 3cyl ford fiesta. I'm meaning, let her get warm first, don't rev skyhigh and stay there in N to show off at the two-step contests - that type of shit. Mine sees track time, and when not there 90% of my driving is not gentle and has me in the mountains. I'd be the last person to say my car is babied, but I treat it well, take care of it as if I intend for it to last. When looking for more power, my first item to address is supporting mods - again, treating the machine with respect. I'm never going to advise you to drive this car like grandma, just be patient and don't unnecessarily abuse your whip.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap

Last edited by RowanBuds; 10-24-2019 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4481.50
      10-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #86
Luluu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
Believe me, I've read every post here. What I do see is you again saying 'if I need to' which indicates to me you still intend to try to have bmw cover it as if the car were bone stock.

It's a common failure mode, largely isolated to those motors which have owners abuse the car (Every person I know who has spun drives their car in a manner in which I would never treat mine), and almost every single one is tuned.

The OEM has a responsibility to cover the part if it has a failure within an otherwise all stock environment - any part that can't be connected directly to the failure is irrelevant in this statement due to the M&M act. The boost being increased, backpressure being lowered and car pushing 30-40% more output than design spec called for is NOT BMWs responsibility. It's yours. And you again neglect that by qualifying the repair out of pocket as an 'if I need to' scenario.

If you were honest or had high integrity you'd have realized what you're contemplating here is flat out fraud.

fly by night ET chasers - this is not the platform for you guys.

Well its not really fraud when I'm being upfront about it. My service adviser already knows what is done to my car... lol
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #87
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well its not really fraud when I'm being upfront about it. My service adviser already knows what is done to my car... lol
I think the statements about returning to stock, inquiry about removing and replacing the ECU, among others indicate that actions speak louder than words.

You and your SA had no scruples about defrauding bmw, together, due to your failure to accept your actions alone caused this failure. Just because you have a partner next to you when you rob a bank doesn't mean that you didn't commit bank robbery. It's now both of you that have.

ED Recap
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #88
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinghostrider View Post
This happens both on stock and tuned cars with the excepetion that you do not hear much on stock cars happening because they probably are not even on this forum or the sample pool size of those having bone stock cars on this forum is low.
This is something a lot of people seem to overlook. A huge percentage of the cars on this forum are modified so of course the sample of SCH victims on here is going to skew heavily towards modified cars. Not to mention the percentage of people who drive their cars as intended vs just commuting is going to be much higher than the general public so that alone will raise the chances of having it happen. So far nothing I've come across has convinced me that we know what causes it and how to avoid it short of driving it in a way that would have made a Camry a better buy.
Appreciate 1