Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

09-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #1
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Annual service/oil change scheduling

Hey guys,

Question about the scheduling of the annual servicing that is included for the first 4 years or 80,000km, which ever comes first.

Given that my commute is quite short I did not hit my 2k km break-in service till November 2018, after taking possession of the vehicle in early Aug, 2018.

Now my annual service/oil change appears to fall on the anniversary of the break-in service which will put my last free service/oil change outside of the 4 year window which will will end in Aug. 2022.

Is this standard procedure for BMW or is my SA screwing with me?
Is it because they are counting the break-in service as one of the 4 service that they expect you to claim during the 4 year/80k term?

Would appreciate to hear about some of your experiences dealing with this. The reason for this confusion is that I have a buddy who got his M2 in Sept. 2018 and just had his annual service on the anniversary of the purchase date not the break-in servicing. Did they maybe forget to reset his service alert during the break-in servicing? Could that be the reason?

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed, I could not easily find it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I don’t know how it works in Canada, but logically think you should get the service intervals required over the stated 4 year period, as determined by the car’s condition and use (condition-based service notices or whatever they are called). The car will tell you when to go in. You may need an oil change less than annually but shouldn’t go over a year. So if you don’t need 4 oil changes within that period, you won’t get 4. When you get your car back, it may show a year until next service, but that is subject to change as conditions warrant.
      09-20-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
kss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 AY F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsal View Post
Hey guys,

Question about the scheduling of the annual servicing that is included for the first 4 years or 80,000km, which ever comes first.

Given that my commute is quite short I did not hit my 2k km break-in service till November 2018, after taking possession of the vehicle in early Aug, 2018.

Now my annual service/oil change appears to fall on the anniversary of the break-in service which will put my last free service/oil change outside of the 4 year window which will will end in Aug. 2022.

Is this standard procedure for BMW or is my SA screwing with me?
Is it because they are counting the break-in service as one of the 4 service that they expect you to claim during the 4 year/80k term?

Would appreciate to hear about some of your experiences dealing with this. The reason for this confusion is that I have a buddy who got his M2 in Sept. 2018 and just had his annual service on the anniversary of the purchase date not the break-in servicing. Did they maybe forget to reset his service alert during the break-in servicing? Could that be the reason?

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed, I could not easily find it.
I got my break in service done when I purchased the car, because it sat on the lot for 20 months. I tried to get them do it at 2000km, but BMW Canada, said it was an unusual situation where the break in service had to be done based on duration rather than km driven. I purchased in Nov 2018 and had the 15000km service done in Mid August 2019, based on km driven.

The annual service from what I understand it is either a year from last oil change, or 15000 in - whichever comes first. The service that is duration based is the brake fluid service.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:56 PM   #4
PhillySpecial
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Competition

Piggybacking on this thread (and cross-posting from the sticky for additional exposure - mods, feel free to move if necessary), since I have a somewhat similar issue.

Silly question tangentially related to the run-in service: I took delivery of an MY19 M4 in January of 2019, The car was apparently born in September 2018, and I had the run-in service performed at 1200 miles in September 2019 (I have several other cars and don't run a lot of miles in the BMW).

Now that the car is a year old, it's calling for another oil change; apparently, the M4's computers want oil every year or 10k miles. I was under the impression that the run-in "didn't count" toward this oil change, despite it including an oil change with the rest of the service.

My dealership's BMW Genius was initially under the impression that I should bring in the car for the one-year oil change; however, my SA says that it's not indicated, and I need to wait for 10k miles or 6 months past the one-year date. Here's the info I received:

"What you're experiencing is actually just how things work on lower-mileage cars, and something that I didn't realize happens. When an M car comes in for its 1200-mile service, the regular oil change interval counter does not get reset in the car, but it does on BMW's back-end. This makes it such that we wouldn't be able to do an oil change and have it covered under the maintenance plan, but does mean that unfortunately you will just have to keep ignoring the car's warnings until you reach 10k miles or until next June comes around.

[The SA] said in the past we have tried to work around this by manually re-programming the interval in the car, but doing that altered the car's entire service schedule, which shifted services required by time to happen too late and not line up properly to the car's birth month and odometer readings."

Is this how the service intervals work? Am I to simply keep ignoring the oil change reminders/chimes until 10k?

Thanks so much for any info!
Appreciate 0