ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #23
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I'm noticing that many of you suggest a windshield tint

Quick question, is there any dot matrix air pockets on the side like with all the other windows? Also, don't you also get a bit of light distortion effect (I noticed this on my rear tint)?
No light distortion. The rear tint is caused by the defroster lines. It's more like looking out the side windows.

Not sure what you mean by dot matrix air pockets? I don't have any dot matrix air pockets, my tinter tinted over the dot matrix.
I've never seen a tinted BMW without the dot matrix white air pocket line

I know there's a few exceptions as some installers use glue or vinyl but it's more of the exception rather than the rule
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 01:12 AM   #24
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 ZCP DCT

I've purposely picked all of my mods to "exceed expectations" for myself.

With that said, the only mod I regretted was getting an aftermarket intake. I switched back to OEM and BMC filters shortly after.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

2021 Mini GP3 / BMC Filters / BM3 / Cary Jordan E30 / Wagner IC / Remus Race
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 07:52 AM   #25
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post

With that said, the only mod I regretted was getting an aftermarket intake. I switched back to OEM and BMC filters shortly after.
I love my forge motorsport intake. I'm not sure why it's not working out for you. The intake sounds in sport+ is worth it for me, not to mention all that carbon fiber when you pop the hood! For the price we paid, it's a steal as long as it doesn't draw any codes. I had codes after 2nd day, reset adaptations and it's been perfect. Idle is smooth and car feels free after I installed VRSF midpipe. My 1/4 mile time went from 12.5 to 12.2 with those two upgrades. I still can't get LC to stick so the 12.2 is without LC (smash pedal in sport+). With better tires I know I can get in high 11s as 1st and 2nd gear have wheel spin right now. Under 12s for stock tune with intake and midpipe has to be impressive no?
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #26
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanm4 View Post
Quote:

I love my forge motorsport intake. I'm not sure why it's not working out for you. The intake sounds in sport+ is worth it for me, not to mention all that carbon fiber when you pop the hood! For the price we paid, it's a steal as long as it doesn't draw any codes. I had codes after 2nd day, reset adaptations and it's been perfect. Idle is smooth and car feels free after I installed VRSF midpipe. My 1/4 mile time went from 12.5 to 12.2 with those two upgrades. I still can't get LC to stick so the 12.2 is without LC (smash pedal in sport+). With better tires I know I can get in high 11s as 1st and 2nd gear have wheel spin right now. Under 12s for stock tune with intake and midpipe has to be impressive no?
I think it has to do with me running flex fuel. I may give the intake another go once my flex fuel tune has been dialed in by Cary.
2017 F80 M3 ZCP / AA GESI DPs / Akrapovic Evo / BBS FI-R 19" / Bend Calibration ECUTEK Flex Fuel | Bilstein B16 DDC + CS EDC / BMC Filters / BMS OCC / CSF HE / ESS CP / Nitto NT555R2 / PD Crank Hub / SPL Suspension / Uniden R7 / Wagner Top Mount IC

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #27
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Most under rated mod for me was tinting my front windshield. It allowed me to see the HUD while wearing polarized sunglasses.
What tint level did you goto? I thought about doing this exactly for seeing the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:27 AM   #28
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Quote:
Most under rated mod for me was tinting my front windshield. It allowed me to see the HUD while wearing polarized sunglasses.
What tint level did you goto? I thought about doing this exactly for seeing the HUD.
70%

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
thestimp970.50
      08-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #29
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Overrated: Catless dp's, burbles

Underrated: high flow catted dp's, turning burbles OFF, windshield tint, getting your car paint corrected and maintaining a swirl free finish, a good radar detector with a blendmount and mirror tap
Appreciate 2
irunalot1518.00
m3elmo49.50
      08-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #30
fiveohwblow
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, E46 & M3, F82

Quote:
I think it has to do with me running flex fuel. I may give the intake another go once my flex fuel tune has been dialed in by Cary.
Running Cary's jam and the SSR intakes... My oh my is it a beautiful noise in sport plus...
Appreciate 1
TideMD291.50
      08-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #31
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Actually wasn't even aware of the Forge Intake. It's like an Eventuri for less than half of the price.

Are the intake sounds actually pronounced though? I see it is somewhat heat shielded but not fully, any heat soak issues?
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:16 PM   #32
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
xxxxx
Overrated:

- Alcantara steering wheels. I was drooling after them for many years but never got around buying and installing one for various reasons. To scratch the itch, it was the first mod I bought for my F80 M3 and it was pretty dissapointing. In pictures it looks very comfortable to touch but in real life, unless you're wearing gloves, isn't very smooth or practical for daily driving. If you have sweaty hands its also a cleaning nightmare, and inevitably, the more you will clean it, the sooner it will degrade. At the end of the day, Alcantara is just synthetic plastic, its nowhere near as special as one would think it is.
xxxxx
i'm quite sad hearing you don't like alcantara wheel. I think of getting electronic steering wheel which is alcantara + extra led's but hearing you and other users didnt like alacantra makes me rethink twice if its a good idea to get one.

was it really that bad?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #33
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Actually wasn't even aware of the Forge Intake. It's like an Eventuri for less than half of the price.

Are the intake sounds actually pronounced though? I see it is somewhat heat shielded but not fully, any heat soak issues?
The intake sound is amazing. There is carbon caps to shield the intake from the engine bay heat, I doubt it's going to make much difference. It does come with scoops to flow the air better to the filters but that about it. It's more about looks and sound with intakes and the Forge motorsport does it well for a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #34
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The intake sound is amazing. There is carbon caps to shield the intake from the engine bay heat, I doubt it's going to make much difference. It does come with scoops to flow the air better to the filters but that about it. It's more about looks and sound with intakes and the Forge motorsport does it well for a fraction of the price.
How much sound though?

I'm aware most closed / covered intakes don't add any audible sound

I installed drop in filters and air scoops, and the sound was about the same

I know the performance increase won't be there but if the sound isn't very audible, it's a bit hard to justify the price for something nice hidden under the bonnet

Issue with Eventuri v2 is that it's really quiet and subdued.. up to date I only know ssr steel intakes or any open box less system make noise
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:42 PM   #35
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
How much sound though?

I know the performance increase won't be there but if the sound isn't very audible, it's a bit hard to justify the price for something nice hidden under the bonnet

Issue with Eventuri v2 is that it's really quiet and subdued.. up to date I only know ssr steel intakes or any open box less system make noise
You'll hear a lot more with the ASD coded out.
      08-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #36
Dav3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Quote:
How much sound though?

You'll hear a lot more with the ASD coded out.
Already coded that out 1 hour after buying the car haha

Maybe different intake cone design makes it more audible but with dry drop in filter panels, really can't say I heard all that much more

Tommy L Garage installed the Dinan Intake system which is somewhat similar to the forge one and he didn't hear much difference, that's my worry, kinda makes it one of the most overrated mods around if so

2k for no gain and no sound is a bit difficult to justify, so am really interested in possibly non bias owner reviews on sound improvements with aftermarket cais
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #37
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Already coded that out 1 hour after buying the car haha

Maybe different intake cone design makes it more audible but with dry drop in filter panels, really can't say I heard all that much more

Tommy L Garage installed the Dinan Intake system which is somewhat similar to the forge one and he didn't hear much difference, that's my worry, kinda makes it one of the most overrated mods around if so

2k for no gain and no sound is a bit difficult to justify, so am really interested in possibly non bias owner reviews on sound improvements with aftermarket cais
Good man. ASD was giving me headaches.

I mic'd up the engine in the Alps and could hear everything well. Just doesn't come much into the cabin as the engine and exhaust themselves are quite loud.
      08-04-2021, 02:01 AM   #38
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How much sound though?

You can definitely hear the forge intakes. I heard it from inside the car and I have downpipes and a full akra exhaust.

The Forge intake isn't a completely sealed system. The carbon fiber lid is rather thin, so more sound comes through to the cabin. The bottom heat shield also isn't fully enclosed either.

Fully enclosed systems are Eventuri V2, Dinan, and AWE.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:45 AM   #39
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

what about BMS intake? is it worth it?

https://burgertuning.com/products/bm...4723982.c6fd44
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #40
hellokitty
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post

People have reported idling issues with using the BMS intake. You can search the forum for some examples.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #41
jibarra
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
woah! great to know! I was wondering exactly this. Now even more reason to do the tints haha
Appreciate 1
ck_M361.00
      08-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #42
jibarra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim45678 View Post

those are the ones I have and love them. Sounds in Sport + are
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #43
jibarra
Rep

Overated: Burbles, and I've only had my car for less than a month lol

Underated: PPF, full frontal PPF with high wear areas (side skirts, A Pillar, part of quarter panel, carbon fiber roof) is an absolute must if you want to keep rock chips away. A good PPF will cost you ~$3k and protech that paint from rock chips, especially if you get one on the CF roof, fixing that is going to hurt.
Appreciate 1
Dav3948.50
      08-04-2021, 01:03 PM   #44
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

under: PPF

over: "paint matched" reflectors that never match
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 1