BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #2179
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Hi everyone! Have a track day this weekend and had 2 questions:

1) 4 weeks Had a screw in my rear tire near shoulder that did not go all the way through i guess. I pulled it out and tire holds air no problem 4 weeks later. Is it safe to send it on the track?

2) was changing brake fluid and when taking wheels off one of the studs came out, checked other studs and all were super loose. Wtf? I used 25ft-lbs and blue thread locked. Why did they come loose? I removed all of them, applied blue thread locked again and torqued to like 27ft-lbs is it safe to send at this point?

Thank you
Going to the Ridge?

1) I'd probably have someone dismount the tire and double check. I had a screw close to the sidewall before a track day last year that I had plugged with no issues.

2) Yikes - never had that happen with my studs... a little disconcerting. When did you have them installed?
Going to COTA actually. I moved from Seattle to Austin

1) I will see if thats an options at the track but there is no plug because it holds air just fine

2) Installed around 6-7 months ago i wanna say no more than a year ago. I read that blue thread locker is rated to only 160F, maybe track temperatures caused them to become loose?
Appreciate 1
RugbyBro7601.50
      05-20-2022, 07:08 AM   #2180
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Quote:

1) I will see if thats an options at the track but there is no plug because it holds air just fine

2) Installed around 6-7 months ago i wanna say no more than a year ago. I read that blue thread locker is rated to only 160F, maybe track temperatures caused them to become loose?
Given that they were all loose, probably because you used blue thread locker. Definitely should use red. Other things to consider might be improperly prepared/cleaned threads prior to install, but seemingly less likely if every single stud is loose.
Apex's install guide is quite thorough and a good read (in case you haven't seen it: https://www.apexraceparts.com/media/...structions.pdf)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:13 AM   #2181
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:

1) 4 weeks Had a screw in my rear tire near shoulder that did not go all the way through i guess. I pulled it out and tire holds air no problem 4 weeks later. Is it safe to send it on the track?

2) was changing brake fluid and when taking wheels off one of the studs came out, checked other studs and all were super loose. Wtf? I used 25ft-lbs and blue thread locked. Why did they come loose? I removed all of them, applied blue thread locked again and torqued to like 27ft-lbs is it safe to send at this point?

Thank you
Most stud failures are due to insufficient installation torque

The BimmerWorld ones I've been using since the stone age ask for like 75 ftlb or something, and then they use red loctite. 25ftlb seems like asking for trouble

I keep thinking of posting a mini DIY for proper stud install which is quite simple with a magical tool. I'll get to it soon...

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 05-20-2022 at 09:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
      05-20-2022, 12:10 PM   #2182
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:

Thank you

The BimmerWorld ones I've been using since the stone age ask for like 75 ftlb or something, and then they use red loctite. 25ftlb seems like asking for trouble

I keep thinking of posting a mini DIY for proper stud install which is quite simple with a magical tool. I'll get to it soon...
Well those studs survived like 5 track days until i noticed something is weird.
Here are installation instructions that i followed

https://motorsporthardware.com/faq/
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #2183
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you

What kind of tool btw? Also since it was fine for 5 track days and i just re torqued everything. I guess i should be fine right?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #2184
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
Quote:

Given that they were all loose, probably because you used blue thread locker. Definitely should use red. Other things to consider might be improperly prepared/cleaned threads prior to install, but seemingly less likely if every single stud is loose.
Apex's install guide is quite thorough and a good read (in case you haven't seen it: https://www.apexraceparts.com/media/...structions.pdf)
Even they call for between 22 and 25lbs… but i followed motorsport hardware instructions who i bought these from and they call for 25lbs and blue loctite…
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #2185
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
What kind of tool btw? Also since it was fine for 5 track days and i just re torqued everything. I guess i should be fine right?
It's a stud removal tool that can also be used to install studs if you mcgyver it

I don't know if you're ok. 25ftlb sounds so low.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:42 PM   #2186
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's a stud removal tool that can also be used to install studs if you mcgyver it

But why everyone besides bimmerworld pretty much calls for 25lbs then?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 01:17 PM   #2187
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

I use MSI studs, same used in NASCAR if memory serves…
      05-20-2022, 01:22 PM   #2188
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Just called Motorsports Hardware and they confirmed that 25lbs should be just fine for torque in addition to blue thread locker. They did recommend to re-torque studs when tracking and using blue thread locker though
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 01:22 PM   #2189
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
But why everyone besides bimmerworld pretty much calls for 25lbs then?
I have no idea
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 01:35 PM   #2190
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Post it! I busted up my knuckles trying the double nut method. No doubt I applied insufficient torque.

OP, great that you even noticed. Disaster avoided. It's good practice to inspect the studs every wheel change.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      05-20-2022, 02:07 PM   #2191
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Just called Motorsports Hardware and they confirmed that 25lbs should be just fine for torque in addition to blue thread locker. They did recommend to re-torque studs when tracking and using blue thread locker though
I'd replace them honestly. If they are loose and you tracked them, with enough load you could have bent them ever so slightly increasing the chance of failure at the worst possible moment.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 03:33 PM   #2192
drroc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 - 6MT

Quote:

I've been using 25ft lb on the Motorsports hardware studs w/o issues for three seasons. I do coat them with blue loctite and let them sit for 24 hrs before I install them.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 10:25 PM   #2193
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Just came back from VIR with PCA, 3 day event and my first of the year. Went there to accomplish three things: shake off the winter rust from the driver, try out my new brakes, and see how I like a square setup.

First item accomplished but it took 3-4 sessions to get back in the same ballpark lap times as last year. These were done on Hoosier R7 275/315, with the rears fading noticeably from session to session.

So on Day 2 I switched to a set of Pirelli DH scrubs, 305/645, on the same Apex staggered wheels. And wow, OMG mind blown and I am now a square setup convert. By having more even traction at the front and at the rear, the car feels more natural. It takes better corner entry, it rotates so much easier and with a progressive feel, and I never felt it lacked any rear traction. In terms of outright grip, I didn’t feel a huge difference from the Hoosiers R7, except the Pirelli lasted the whole friggin session, that was the other thing that impressed me.

Two caveats. You have to judge the start tire pressure very well, in the 24-25 PSI or even lower, to end up at 31-32 hot. Anything higher and you’re just wasting good rubber, as the Pirelli does it’s best work in that range.

Secondly I’m not sure how long they last, we shall find out. But at $600/set, I almost don’t care.

Finally the AP 9660 brakes, running PFC 333 front and 11 rear on OEM caliper. This was the hardest thing to adjust to, the braking capacity and power is simply insane. I have to completely re-learn braking because I’m slowing down way too much right now. I mean really, I’ll need another 2 weekends just to adjust to this I’m sure.

Only caveat, the 333 pad will probably not last another weekend. I’d say it lasts 3 full days of hot lapping, and the 4th is touch and go, based on the current wear rate. I may need to find another compound to try.

I have to give props to SYT_Shadow and his brother for driving advice, tech advice and in-car instruction. As always, it’s all deeply rooted in practicality and experience, and so very effective.

The event was packed in my group, and with my speed increasing from day to day I was practically in a continuous traffic jam. I only had at most 1 clear lap per session so could only do low 2.07’s, but given everything else that changed from last year I think this is a solid time. I am convinced the car has a 2.05 in it without any crazy risks, and maybe a 2.04 with a better driver.

Last note is that on the 4th session on Day 3, I blew something in the engine compartment running super hard on the back straight. I was able to drive home albeit only by not requesting a lot of boost from the engine. 55-60mph all the way home, it was the opposite of glorious. Initially I thought it was the charge pipes but now I think it’s the J pipe. I’ve swapped the charge pipes and will do the J pipe this weekend as well.
What other pads have you ran?

I was just informed by Bimmerworld that PFC won't be making any more PFC11s for stock calipers. They recommend the 333, but they arnt in production yet.

I have ran ds1.11 and they wouldn't slow down the car very quick. So I need something better than those.

I was getting 6-8 days with my brake ducts out of PFC11s and they have good stopping power.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #2194
fanatic1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 CS

Garage List
2019 M4CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

If you're talking about the stud removal tool I'm thinking of, it's the best thing since sliced bread!!

Looking forward to your install procedure
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      05-20-2022, 11:18 PM   #2195
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Just came back from VIR with PCA, 3 day event and my first of the year. Went there to accomplish three things: shake off the winter rust from the driver, try out my new brakes, and see how I like a square setup.

First item accomplished but it took 3-4 sessions to get back in the same ballpark lap times as last year. These were done on Hoosier R7 275/315, with the rears fading noticeably from session to session.

So on Day 2 I switched to a set of Pirelli DH scrubs, 305/645, on the same Apex staggered wheels. And wow, OMG mind blown and I am now a square setup convert. By having more even traction at the front and at the rear, the car feels more natural. It takes better corner entry, it rotates so much easier and with a progressive feel, and I never felt it lacked any rear traction. In terms of outright grip, I didn't feel a huge difference from the Hoosiers R7, except the Pirelli lasted the whole friggin session, that was the other thing that impressed me.

Two caveats. You have to judge the start tire pressure very well, in the 24-25 PSI or even lower, to end up at 31-32 hot. Anything higher and you're just wasting good rubber, as the Pirelli does it's best work in that range.

Secondly I'm not sure how long they last, we shall find out. But at $600/set, I almost don't care.

Finally the AP 9660 brakes, running PFC 333 front and 11 rear on OEM caliper. This was the hardest thing to adjust to, the braking capacity and power is simply insane. I have to completely re-learn braking because I'm slowing down way too much right now. I mean really, I'll need another 2 weekends just to adjust to this I'm sure.

Only caveat, the 333 pad will probably not last another weekend. I'd say it lasts 3 full days of hot lapping, and the 4th is touch and go, based on the current wear rate. I may need to find another compound to try.

I have to give props to SYT_Shadow and his brother for driving advice, tech advice and in-car instruction. As always, it's all deeply rooted in practicality and experience, and so very effective.

The event was packed in my group, and with my speed increasing from day to day I was practically in a continuous traffic jam. I only had at most 1 clear lap per session so could only do low 2.07's, but given everything else that changed from last year I think this is a solid time. I am convinced the car has a 2.05 in it without any crazy risks, and maybe a 2.04 with a better driver.

Last note is that on the 4th session on Day 3, I blew something in the engine compartment running super hard on the back straight. I was able to drive home albeit only by not requesting a lot of boost from the engine. 55-60mph all the way home, it was the opposite of glorious. Initially I thought it was the charge pipes but now I think it's the J pipe. I've swapped the charge pipes and will do the J pipe this weekend as well.

I was just informed by Bimmerworld that PFC won't be making any more PFC11s for stock calipers. They recommend the 333, but they arnt in production yet.

I have ran ds1.11 and they wouldn't slow down the car very quick. So I need something better than those.

I was getting 6-8 days with my brake ducts out of PFC11s and they have good stopping power.
EBC RP-X is your pad, trust me
sly1types431.50
      05-20-2022, 11:38 PM   #2196
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I literally just bought PFC11s from Bimmerworld for stock calipers this week - shipped out directly from PFC a few days ago. Maybe it’s the last batch? Not sure, but it’s a data point for you. Hope they can get you sorted!
sly1types431.50
      05-21-2022, 04:00 AM   #2197
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Sport Plus in a 6-Speed car on track is a lot of fun. Blipping my downshifts under full braking is a good time. Now noticing the understeering tendencies of the stock setup as I'm progressing.

Also, found two broken studs in the paddock!
      05-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #2198
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I literally just bought PFC11s from Bimmerworld for stock calipers this week - shipped out directly from PFC a few days ago. Maybe it’s the last batch? Not sure, but it’s a data point for you. Hope they can get you sorted!
You must have got one of the last ones. This was on Friday.
F85 X5M
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 10:13 PM   #2199
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow - yeah I ordered them on Monday!
      05-23-2022, 10:04 AM   #2200
sly1types
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh wow - yeah I ordered them on Monday!
I called PFC and they said they have some in stock and doesn't show they are discontinuing them. So it sounds like I should be able to still get PFC11s 😊
F85 X5M
Appreciate 2
RugbyBro7601.50
SYT_Shadow11479.50