ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

05-24-2020, 09:23 AM   #45
Tricki
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsticks View Post
I ordered these 2 months ago and tried installing them myself in the garage using jack stands as I've done down pipes many times on prior cars. Raising the engine mount to get them in was pretty simple just using a floor jack, but once I got them in, I was unable to align them properly to connect to the mid pipe. Spent a couple of hours trying every which way possible and came to the conclusion that the model used to manufacture them might have been off so I removed them and sent them back for a full credit. Ended up going with the AA catless instead and those fit great. I was excited to try the Turner DPs because they are catted and price was great, but they didn't work for me. I followed the instructions Turner provided and have DIY experience, so I'm confident it wasn't user error. I'm glad to see that others have tried them and we're able to get them installed properly.

Wow I wish I saw this earlier! Have just spent the last two days trying to fit them to my M2 Competition, really disappointed that I kept running into one issue after another.

I had the car up on jack stands but I could't get a jack high enough to get the engine mount up, so I had to buy a bottle jack and stack a few weight plates underneath.

Once I got the down pipes through the gap I ran into any other issue with the heat shield blocking the fitting to the turbo, I was pretty annoyed by this point so I pulled out the heat shield and got a hammer

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

So 2 days waisted I finally get the V-Clams on both downpipes and I now run into the issue of them not lining up properly

View post on imgur.com

Anyways I think I might have gotten your downpipes Fishsticks haha because I picked them up for half price on ECS as a scratch and dent item. I'm based in Australia so the shipping was about $125 and I might be stuck with them as I might not be able to return them.
Did u get the turner motorsport Catted DP? Im also in Australia and was about to pull the trigger but when asking them questions, they dont give any great confidence. 🤷🏽*♂️
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #46
tubstar
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricki View Post
Did u get the turner motorsport Catted DP? Im also in Australia and was about to pull the trigger but when asking them questions, they dont give any great confidence. 🤷🏽*♂️
Yep I got the catted ones

Appreciate 2
      02-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #47
mitch99277
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Will be installing the Turner hfc dp and AA midpipe on my dads F80 ZCP in a couple weeks I'll take some pics and video
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 01:28 AM   #48
GreenGoblin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F82

Just did mine this weekend. I chose high flow catted dps because I think Turner is a reputable brand, and the smell of catless dps really annoys me. I also wanted the car to be louder.
  • The install was kind of difficult, but I did it on the floor with jackstands so very doable.
  • The car is louder just like I wanted. More of a throatiness, and so far I cant hear any rasp. I am running a AA midpipe and Remus axle back, will try to post a video later in the week.
  • I flashed mhd stage 2, did some spirited driving and so far no errors
  • No catless smell either so it met my goal! The car does smell a little rich, if you stand right behind it, but no issues inside the cabin so far.

I will try to update a long term review in the future

Attached picture OEM vs Turner cells. OEM forsure has more cells. I read somewhere OEM is 400 cell, but not 100% sure if that is accurate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-02-2021, 05:11 PM   #49
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Blue M4CS

^^Does the MHD stage 2 turns off rear O2's?
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 09:14 PM   #50
GreenGoblin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanted_M View Post
^^Does the MHD stage 2 turns off rear O2's?
Yessir, there is an option to unselect "oem/catted dps" which will clear the code. They have all the options on their website / app if you are curious.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #51
GreenGoblin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate 2
      03-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #52
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Sounds good, let's see how catted DP's hold up overtime.
ARM DP's/Resonated Mid-pipe | SPL links | Hotchkis bars | JRZ RS2/camber plates | K&N | Koyorad HX | Powerflex purple | Rouge | Spiegler | Speed Eng. snorkel | Vargas CBC/hub | Wagner IC | xHP | Xpel stealth ppf
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #53
GreenGoblin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good, let's see how catted DP's hold up overtime.
I agree, especially at this price point. Will update if I run into any issues.
Appreciate 1
Wanted_M756.00
      03-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #54
mitch99277
Rep

Turner HFC DP & AA mid installed

I'll start with this: I'm new to the DIY scene concerning performance parts install.

The AA Single mid install was child's play of course.

The Turner HFC DP however... was really not bad so long has you have the right tools and whatnot. Jacking up the engine was nothing to write home about anyone can do it....

After the engine was lowered back into position the dp is sitting on the aluminum frame. Tried ten was from Sunday to position it so that the dp does not touch but no luck... if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. (This could be an installation error?)

When the car is running in park you can feel the vibration in the seat and steering wheel. I have read some things about the O2 or MAF causing problems after dp install and have not received a new map from alpine just yet but I'm assuming that will not do anything for the vibration...

Anyway that's my experience thus far... might need to take it to a shop to see what can be done.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2021, 06:06 PM   #55
HyeM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch99277 View Post
After the engine was lowered back into position the dp is sitting on the aluminum frame. Tried ten was from Sunday to position it so that the dp does not touch but no luck... if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. (This could be an installation error?)
Idk if you've tried this yet but have you tried clocking (rotating) the dp so it's angled a little higher up?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 07:53 PM   #56
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

When I do a DP swap it's important to keep the v-bands a little loose so the DPs can be tweaked, rotated or wiggled. Get the long pipe hanger bracket aligned right, then short pipe and flange. Keep the flange bolts loose too. After the exhaust gets hung tighten the v-bands fully, and finally the flange bolts. Sometimes adjusting an exhaust bracket can help move things enough to stop a vibration.
      03-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #57
mitch99277
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did try to leave everything loose then turn it one way or the other which was possible with then engine jacked up but wouldn't budge when the engine was lowered back down.

As for the downpipe hanger I suppose that might work but the flex joint before the hanger so I'm thinking it will just flex as designed.?.

I'm not sure what the secret is at this point might need to take it by a shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #58
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch99277 View Post
I'm not sure what the secret is at this point might need to take it by a shop.
Did you get this fixed?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:40 AM   #59
bavarianobs
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGoblin View Post
Just did mine this weekend. I chose high flow catted dps because I think Turner is a reputable brand, and the smell of catless dps really annoys me. I also wanted the car to be louder.
  • The install was kind of difficult, but I did it on the floor with jackstands so very doable.
  • The car is louder just like I wanted. More of a throatiness, and so far I cant hear any rasp. I am running a AA midpipe and Remus axle back, will try to post a video later in the week.
  • I flashed mhd stage 2, did some spirited driving and so far no errors
  • No catless smell either so it met my goal! The car does smell a little rich, if you stand right behind it, but no issues inside the cabin so far.

I will try to update a long term review in the future

Attached picture OEM vs Turner cells. OEM forsure has more cells. I read somewhere OEM is 400 cell, but not 100% sure if that is accurate.
Did the hfcs throw a cel?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #60
TouringM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 6MT / '16 F31

Garage List
It would be pretty brilliant for a company like turner to give people a real interchangable downpipe module.

Provide a high-flow cat, but also a straight section for track days, and lower the cat as much as you can (i know it can't be too far down) so you don't have to fuck with the subframe.

Instagram: @TouringM3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 02:02 PM   #61
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

How are these holding up guys? mitch99277 GreenGoblin
      10-08-2022, 10:51 AM   #62
Marioec
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Also in the market for catted DP. I want some more flow but No smell is my biggest concern.

Which ones are the best ones out there ? Currently running AA Equal length Mid pipe
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2022, 05:17 PM   #63
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

I did ARM dp's, left mid section intact with cats, Dinan x-pipe and soon will add rear section. I only smell fumes on cold start up as most cars do but once mid section cats are warm/hot, I can hardly smell anything. At least I feel like I'm doing something for environment
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 05:23 AM   #64
Jim45678
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 f80

Quote:
I did ARM dp's, (...) At least I feel like I'm doing something for environment

You did resonated catless ARM DPs ? no rasp? no fitment issues? no rattling?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2022, 04:29 PM   #65
Wanted_M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes resonated, no fitment issues or rattles. Make sure you use new hardware and gaskets.
Some rasp under full throttle/high rpm but not obnoxious and probably 70-80% of that raw smell of fumes are absent due to mid-section cats but depends on your olfactory system lol. Now in a garage environment you will smell the corn husk for sure.

Last edited by Wanted_M; 10-09-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2022, 04:14 PM   #66
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:
I did ARM dp's, left mid section intact with cats, Dinan x-pipe and soon will add rear section. I only smell fumes on cold start up as most cars do but once mid section cats are warm/hot, I can hardly smell anything. At least I feel like I'm doing something for environment
My contribution to offset no cats was a Tesla…
Appreciate 2
Wanted_M756.00
F80RN898.50