BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-22-2020, 12:13 PM   #67
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherhart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
72 months? To pay off a used car? The car will be NINE year old when it is paid off... THREE years out of warranty?

Wait a year. See where the world is. SAVE money. Get some good financial advice and buy some promising stocks a few shares every month.

It will feel better getting it when you are in a better position. You really don't want to take a 72 month loan on a car.
Agree 100% on not doing a loan. I stopped financing cars a while ago. Also agree that buying these cars is a poor use of funds as there is 100% chance it will depreciate.

But don't agree that stocks are a good place to park money right now. If you bought on the dip in Feb, you did well. But this is a false rally. The bad news has not even started to come out yet. And it's going to be bad, as in holy shit bad. If you're going to lose money on an "investment", might as well wear a smile doing it. That's really why we're all here, right?

Jimbo
How bad do you think it's going to get ?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #68
Sherhart
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Vert & 2015 RR Sport

Lots of good articles out there on MarketWatch and a few other financial sites. Last 7 or 8 recessions have had double dips. I don't see why this one would be any different as the bad news won't really come out until we see Q2 financials and unemployment. But if higher unemployment than the Great Depression (already), double-digit drop in GDP, and the small business loan fiasco (Ruth's Chris? Shake Shack? Really?) doesn't scare you, I don't know what will. Current rally is being propped up by the Fed. So what happens when the programs aren't working as intended?

FYI stocks were down about 38% off peak in Feb. The double-dip in the last recession (2008) was 54% off peak. It might not get there, but it's naive to think we couldn't see a 20-30% dip from where we're at today. I love a good recession. Fear drives the stock market a lot more than rational decision making. I see fear and I'm a buyer. I did very well buying the dip in Feb. Will do the same if we see another. Experts are predicting July/Aug.

Jimbo
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #69
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

CS leases (which start April/May 2018) will start to be turned in about a year from now as well. I think their residuals were in the low 60s. Dealers will most likely be putting them up for sale in the high 50s.

Its really going to push down the Comp and Base M3 market. definitely for the DCT guys, maybe not as much for manuals.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 01:33 AM   #70
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Lots of good articles out there on MarketWatch and a few other financial sites. Last 7 or 8 recessions have had double dips. I don't see why this one would be any different as the bad news won't really come out until we see Q2 financials and unemployment. But if higher unemployment than the Great Depression (already), double-digit drop in GDP, and the small business loan fiasco (Ruth's Chris? Shake Shack? Really?) doesn't scare you, I don't know what will. Current rally is being propped up by the Fed. So what happens when the programs aren't working as intended?

FYI stocks were down about 38% off peak in Feb. The double-dip in the last recession (2008) was 54% off peak. It might not get there, but it's naive to think we couldn't see a 20-30% dip from where we're at today. I love a good recession. Fear drives the stock market a lot more than rational decision making. I see fear and I'm a buyer. I did very well buying the dip in Feb. Will do the same if we see another. Experts are predicting July/Aug.

Jimbo
Agreed. Don't know to what degree QE will mitigate another significant dip but I'm definitely ready to capitalize if this proves to be suckers ralley and we hit new lows later this year. Uncharted territory!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #71
brocurls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdarati

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Quote:

Jimbo
Agreed. Don't know to what degree QE will mitigate another significant dip but I'm definitely ready to capitalize if this proves to be suckers ralley and we hit new lows later this year. Uncharted territory!
Gah, so many good choices once the next dip occurs. So excited to buy back in at a huge discount

DD: 2020 Mazda CrystalWhite CX-5 GT w/PP
Wife's: 2023 Audi S5 Sportback DistrictGreen Premium Plus w/Blk Optic Package
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:14 PM   #72
oduli81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbostwick View Post
I think it’s a great time to buy! Deals are out there. I just bought a ‘17 M4 comp pack convertible with just under 19k miles for $52k. There are better deals than that out there, too, but I’ll confess I paid a bit more to get the color combo I liked.

As a side note, I can’t believe there was a discussion about depreciating assets and the legitimacy of financing them on a BMW M4 forum
I just got approved on lease assumption, after they were closed for two weeks. Currently closing on a swapalease, 24 months left, $840 a month on a 90k fully loaded M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:11 PM   #73
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Just wait... the bottom is going to fall out. No one 'needs' an M4. There will be plenty to choose from in a month or two.

Never take a 7 year loan on a used car.
I suppose it depends on how long you plan to keep it (as with all things financed). If you want a special used car for or year or two only then you have to consider monthly cash flow versus equity projection. It makes sense with some cars to pay a small down payment, go 72 months+, then flip it without running up the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:52 AM   #74
ONEof500
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 30 Jahre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
If you can get a close to 0% finance, long term might work out if you think you can generate better yields with cash left over from a bigger payment.
This is exactly it...keep your money if they will give you money for cheap
Appreciate 0