Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-19-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
Mehdimoi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 BMW 750i BMW X4M

Got into an accident

Hey everyone, I might be posting on the wrong forum but please excuse my lack of knowledge on the sites features as I’m relatively new here.
So as the title would suggest I got into a pretty bad car crash a week back, and I’m now having my car brought back home to deal with all the insurance stuff as well as see what we can possibly do with repairs.
My question to you guys is do you think that the car is actually fixable? Or will it just come back a shadow of its former self. I really put a lot of time and effort into building this car so I’m pretty bummed out right now. Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #2
BlackF82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

I could almost guarantee you that car will be a total loss. If not, push the insurance to make it a total loss showing all of your added items.

If it was me, I wouldn't want it repaired.

I forgot to say, Im glad your okay.
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone was ok. It looks like you have a 2018 so there is a chance insurance might fix it. I got my car back from getting rear ended a couple months ago and although it looks great, it feels like it's not the same to me. It's mostly in my head I think but now every time I hear a rattle, creek or any drivetrain hiccups, I automatically blame it on the accident.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

Sorry to hear this but glad you're ok. I'm no expert so can't comment on your case specifically but here is a thread that shows severe damage and yet insurance decided to repair it since the value of the car was more than the cost of the (extensive ) repair. Hope this helps.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1674982
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
LVI
BMW Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

of course it's fixable.

it'll take time, money, know how and the correct tools. you'll need a complete front clip plus airbags, seatbelts (if deployed), and whatever else is damaged, so i hope this is an insured loss since you're looking at serious money in parts alone. they may total it because of that so hopefully it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I’m assuming you’re okay

Fixable as stated above but at what cost. If you can get out and get a similar car - do it.

Oh and that Lancia Delta in the background....
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
m4dbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

If the engine is toast it will likely be totalled. Glad you are okay, and sorry about the loss. Hurts seeing a wrecked M.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #8
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Glad you are okay. I'd push for a total. I'd never want that car back it will never be the same. Goodluck
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope everyone was ok. It looks like you have a 2018 so there is a chance insurance might fix it. I got my car back from getting rear ended a couple months ago and although it looks great, it feels like it's not the same to me. It's mostly in my head I think but now every time I hear a rattle, creek or any drivetrain hiccups, I automatically blame it on the accident.

lol, this is the problem when people get into accidents.. can't think that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

From the pictures I would bet the front subframe and mounting points are jacked.
My take, if it was fixed by insurance, I would sell it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
Mehdimoi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey everyone, thank you kindly for your responses! Thankfully I am okay, only my back’s a little messed up.
So yeah by the looks of it I’m just going to push for a total loss and maybe sell all the added parts as I’m not sure the insurance will cover them... had just fitted the car with the OLED lights and was supposed to go in the next day to have the 763M rims mounted. Needless to say this hasn’t been my lucky month haha..
I am a little undecided though about what to get instead. What would you guys exchange this car for? I really enjoyed this generation and there was the added factor that this was my first ever M. I’m not too sure about the grille on that newer 4 series though..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:29 AM   #12
kumkeet
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 Dakar Yellow II

If you've made up your mind to change to another car, good for you. If you want to repair the car, I speak from experience... frame repair if done by the right people, makes the car as good as new. Not just aesthetically. But functionally.
Obviously, if it doesn't make financial sense, just total the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:37 AM   #13
Mehdimoi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumkeet View Post
If you've made up your mind to change to another car, good for you. If you want to repair the car, I speak from experience... frame repair if done by the right people, makes the car as good as new. Not just aesthetically. But functionally.
Hey Kumkeet,

I’m actually still undecided but veering towards changing cars. I’ll still wait to hear what my local BMW dealer has to say about it as I have a pretty good relationship with them and I still hold the car dear to my heart.
I was just wondering in case I go forth and change cars what would you guys opinion be.
I still really like M4s but I’m not sure whether I want to get one in this generations’ final year. The new one doesn’t really do anything for me so I guess I’m left pondering whether to get an M2 or perhaps look into a used M8. Though I’ve heard the latter is not as good as it could’ve been, being a little confused on whether it wants to be a sports car or a luxury one.
What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:44 AM   #14
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdimoi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumkeet View Post
Hey Kumkeet,

I’m actually still undecided but veering towards changing cars. I’ll still wait to hear what my local BMW dealer has to say about it as I have a pretty good relationship with them and I still hold the car dear to my heart.
I was just wondering in case I go forth and change cars what would you guys opinion be.
I still really like M4s but I’m not sure whether I want to get one in this generations’ final year. The new one doesn’t really do anything for me so I guess I’m left pondering whether to get an M2 or perhaps look into a used M8. Though I’ve heard the latter is not as good as it could’ve been, being a little confused on whether it wants to be a sports car or a luxury one.
What do you think?
M8 all the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 01:12 AM   #15
newtorin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdimoi View Post
Hey Kumkeet,

What do you think?
Hi! So what did you ended up doing?

Unfortunately, I just bought a 2018 M4 myself and a pick-up truck hit me, causing around $20,000 damage to the car. As the car is worth around $60,000 insurance is fixing it and didn't even ask any questions.

But kind of reading more into the situation I don't know what to do. I guess if the car is repaired perfectly, I could keep it. And ask only for the diminished value claim.

Car is registered in California.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:54 PM   #16
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Glad you okay man, Car's can be replaced. Far as you back injury is concerned, go see a chiropractor or orthopedic ASAP, the pain will get worse as the weather becomes colder.

If you going to another BMW, get the f80 or f82 2018 or 2019. The last year nothing has changed and only difference you'll be paying is a higher price.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
DocL1930.00
      10-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #17
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

I agree with people who said push the insurance company to declare it total loss. Otherwise, and if this wasn't your fault, definitely ask for diminished value reimbursement. That alone might force them to call it total.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #18
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Car looks totalled tbh,

I had a quarter of that damage, aka quarter panel replacement, 1 airbag, a rocker panel, and 2 wheels.

Cost 25k USD to fix at a top 3 shop in Canada.

Also i had no frame damage, and as much as people think that the quarter panel is the frame. After talking to a few experts in the field personally the quarter panel is technically what one calls a "skin". If replaced it offers the same structural rigidity which is negligible to begin with.

The actual frame components were untouched. Long story short the car was perfect after accident. 0 panel gaps, perfect paint job, almost too perfect, you want the car to look kind of old a bit to match the rest.

So for one i believe there is too much damage there to be financially feasible to repair and most likely frame damage, but if it is fixable. If you take it to a top shop they will make the car like new.

Long gone are the days where blah blah blah, car won't drive the same blah blah, it just isn't like that. Technology has advanced.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 09:07 PM   #19
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

That will be fixable, and not written off.
Appreciate 0