GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Audio System overheat issue?

So I got a 2016 m4, after driving for like 6 hours blasting music (harman kardon system if that matters) I got a overheat warning wait till cool down blah blah. It was also around 110-117 degrees today during this drive so I imagine that had something to do with it. I assume this is the amp overheating and there is no fan for cooling it. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #2
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

Unlikely. Any amp overheating—if it even could—would likely just shut down the electronics. Sounds more like something engine/cooling related.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #3
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikster View Post
Unlikely. Any amp overheating—if it even could—would likely just shut down the electronics. Sounds more like something engine/cooling related.
I mean I know it's the radio lol It says that. I've seen it happen on my friends m3 before but didn't know if they fixed the issue for m4. Guess I know now they didn't. I know what it is, I mean't what are users doing who live in high temperature areas to fix it? Or is the fix people are doing just avoiding long trips in summer?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
SpdJunkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [9.75]
I'm in Phoenix and had the same thing happen to my 2015 M4 about two weeks ago. It was 118° on a Friday afternoon and I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. The whole audio system shut down and gave me the same overheating warning. I've lived here the entire time I've owned the car and never had that happen.

On that same trip, my transmission started acting up too. At the time, I had the GTS DCT flash in. I've since flashed back to stock after reading a few posts here about the GTS flash possibly causing the transmission to run at higher temps. Definitely don't need the car to run any hotter than it already is.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #5
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpdJunkie View Post
I'm in Phoenix and had the same thing happen to my 2015 M4 about two weeks ago. It was 118° on a Friday afternoon and I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. The whole audio system shut down and gave me the same overheating warning. I've lived here the entire time I've owned the car and never had that happen.

On that same trip, my transmission started acting up too. At the time, I had the GTS DCT flash in. I've since flashed back to stock after reading a few posts here about the GTS flash possibly causing the transmission to run at higher temps. Definitely don't need the car to run any hotter than it already is.
Makes sense, yea I mean, I guess I was being greedy expecting nothing to happen in almost 120 degree heat blasting music during a 6hr drive lol. Neat that it has that safety precaution.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
Mikster
Maverick
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccs View Post
Quote:
I mean I know it's the radio lol It says that. I've seen it happen on my friends m3 before but didn't know if they fixed the issue for m4. Guess I know now they didn't. I know what it is, I mean't what are users doing who live in high temperature areas to fix it? Or is the fix people are doing just avoiding long trips in summer?
Wow. I stand corrected. But that's really strange. Do you think it's the radio or the amp? Sorry here in Canada I've never heard of that happening!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #7
fccs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow. I stand corrected. But that's really strange. Do you think it's the radio or the amp? Sorry here in Canada I've never heard of that happening!
From what I have read it's the amp that overheats, only seems to be posts from high temp area users though like myself in Nevada, the above in Arizona, and the search brought up people in Texas or long drives in temps over 90F
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Try disabling Active Sound; it takes a lot of real effort to make a fake sound
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #9
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

in those temps, you don't run the air conditioning system?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think usually it is the Idrive that gets hot and shuts off if you are working it hard, it is hot out and the sun is blazing on the dash. Has happened to me
Appreciate 0