EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

01-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #1
PapaSmurfM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

Zurich Warranty Sources

New to the forum and new owner of a 2017 M3 Comp 6speed. I am under factory warranty for a few more months and only have 32k miles on the vehicle. I eventually want to do a few power mods and some tuning but my shop says that the best warranty they've experienced with supporting crank hubs and mechanical failures with modified cars is Zurich. My local BMW dealership only offers the BMW warranty which is something like $5500 for 3 years and 40k miles. Not real sexy.

Can anyone recommend a provider of the Zurich warranty? Are there are brokers or providers on the forums here that sell to forum members?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurfM3 View Post
New to the forum and new owner of a 2017 M3 Comp 6speed. I am under factory warranty for a few more months and only have 32k miles on the vehicle. I eventually want to do a few power mods and some tuning but my shop says that the best warranty they've experienced with supporting crank hubs and mechanical failures with modified cars is Zurich. My local BMW dealership only offers the BMW warranty which is something like $5500 for 3 years and 40k miles. Not real sexy.

Can anyone recommend a provider of the Zurich warranty? Are there are brokers or providers on the forums here that sell to forum members?
If you are going to do power mods, don't get a warranty.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:28 AM   #3
trendy26
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Zurich Warranties suck.... When it comes time to submit a claim, they’ll scree you over. Happened to a buddy of mine in his M4. Denied every claim he tried to put through for issues that were clearly covered by the Warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendy26 View Post
Zurich Warranties suck.... When it comes time to submit a claim, they’ll scree you over. Happened to a buddy of mine in his M4. Denied every claim he tried to put through for issues that were clearly covered by the Warranty
I had the opposite experience with my platinum zero deductible Zurich warranty on my 2013 e92 m3.

They covered a 5k repair , rod bearings & vanos solenoid's and a bunch of other stuff.
The shop delt with the adjuster. I did have to pay out of pocket for fluids and a few other parts to the shop on the day I picked it up.

Otherwise it was a great experience ...I paid about 3k for the policy and after about a year and a half I sold the car and got back $1800 when I canceled the policy.

THAT in a nutshell is why I will never own a modern German "hotrod" with out a warranty.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #5
PapaSmurfM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
I had the opposite experience with my platinum zero deductible Zurich warranty on my 2013 e92 m3.

They covered a 5k repair , rod bearings & vanos solenoid's and a bunch of other stuff.
The shop delt with the adjuster. I did have to pay out of pocket for fluids and a few other parts to the shop on the day I picked it up.

Otherwise it was a great experience ...I paid about 3k for the policy and after about a year and a half I sold the car and got back $1800 when I canceled the policy.

THAT in a nutshell is why I will never own a modern German "hotrod" with out a warranty.
My tuner and shop for all of my cars also had the same positive experience with Zurich on multiple occasions but had poor experiences with everyone else. In fact, he had Zurich do two engine replacements for spun crank hubs on F80's that resulted in complete engine failures. Cars were heavily modified and tuned.

Is it possible that this varies by location and depends on who you get as the agent/adjuster on the warranty side? Perhaps one person lets things through in a certain market that gets denied elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:39 PM   #6
PapaSmurfM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
So spend the money on the crank hub fix? Is that the best plan for protecting the S55 engine if you're going to mod it? I wasn't going to go too crazy just intakes, downpipes, tune - though we all know once you do that there's always something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #7
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
So spend the money on the crank hub fix? Is that the best plan for protecting the S55 engine if you're going to mod it? I wasn't going to go too crazy just intakes, downpipes, tune - though we all know once you do that there's always something else.
If you get a bmw warranty They can potentially deny your claim if you have those mods. Your better off with a good aftermarket warranty where they can't or don't check for things like flash tunes.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
You kind of have 2 choices for the crank hub.

1) Invest in it now, even though there is no issue right now or there might not ever be an issue for you.

2) Take a gamble and wait for it to have an issue, save yourself a few grand. You can either be lucky and be out of timing slightly and pay for a crank hub fix (for a few grand) or you can be very very unlucky and have catastrophic engine failure (in the range of 20 grand or so?).

Catastrophic engine failure isn't common on the S55 from the crank hub issue.

However if you are worried about other issues like intercooler leaking coolant into your engine, leaking coolant expansion reservoir, a valve gasket leak, rear diff leaking due to heat from the exhaust melting the seals, the warranty would cover these other "common" issues. I say "common" because these are the only other issues I hear about on the M4 that aren't crank hub related.

These kind of repairs aren't too expensive but it would start nickel and diming you if you don't have some sort of Gold warranty plan. Platinum covers electronics such as the infotainment and some interior bits if you worry about those failing.

The powertrain warranty alone isn't enough because it doesn't cover common leaking gaskets that wear out over time.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
PapaSmurfM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White340 View Post
If you get a bmw warranty They can potentially deny your claim if you have those mods. Your better off with a good aftermarket warranty where they can't or don't check for things like flash tunes.
So who offers a good aftermarket warranty? And how can I buy one?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #10
PapaSmurfM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You kind of have 2 choices for the crank hub.

1) Invest in it now, even though there is no issue right now or there might not ever be an issue for you.

2) Take a gamble and wait for it to have an issue, save yourself a few grand. You can either be lucky and be out of timing slightly and pay for a crank hub fix (for a few grand) or you can be very very unlucky and have catastrophic engine failure (in the range of 20 grand or so?).

Catastrophic engine failure isn't common on the S55 from the crank hub issue.

However if you are worried about other issues like intercooler leaking coolant into your engine, leaking coolant expansion reservoir, a valve gasket leak, rear diff leaking due to heat from the exhaust melting the seals, the warranty would cover these other "common" issues. I say "common" because these are the only other issues I hear about on the M4 that aren't crank hub related.

These kind of repairs aren't too expensive but it would start nickel and diming you if you don't have some sort of Gold warranty plan. Platinum covers electronics such as the infotainment and some interior bits if you worry about those failing.

The powertrain warranty alone isn't enough because it doesn't cover common leaking gaskets that wear out over time.
I hope to find a vendor of an aftermarket warranty that would cover a potential crank hub failure. I kind of pussy foot the car a little and keep away from redline out of some sort of fear that I'll spin the hub and have my pistons and valves slap a high five that is worth 20K. However, BMW wanted some ridiculous sum where I felt like I was prepaying a high percentage of a motor and the coverage wasn't for very long.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #11
BlitzerRadic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

I have a Zurich warranty. AFAIK, only dealers sell this warranty. I would call other dealers to see if they sell it.

I purchased it as a hedge against catastrophic engine failure, but I'm thinking about cancelling and using that money on CBC and saving the rest for any repairs that may come up in the future since the warranty was not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #12
PapaSmurfM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzerRadic View Post
I have a Zurich warranty. AFAIK, only dealers sell this warranty. I would call other dealers to see if they sell it.

I purchased it as a hedge against catastrophic engine failure, but I'm thinking about cancelling and using that money on CBC and saving the rest for any repairs that may come up in the future since the warranty was not cheap.
can you PM me the dealership where you bought it so I can call them? Otherwise I'm just dialing through all of the BMW dealerships asking them randomly if they carry Zurich warranties.
Appreciate 0