European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
FTP20
Private
Rep
Drives: Four door ///M

F8X downpipe catalytic converters - actual back pressure data?

It goes without saying that removing the factory downpipes and primary catalytic converters is one of the most popular F8X (S55) engine upgrades but has anyone actually measured how much back pressure the original DP/cat combo creates vs aftermarket DPs with HJS 100cpsi or 200cpsi cats vs catless DPs?

Any example of this is the Porsche 991.1 Turbo S with a large diameter aftermarket performance exhaust and 100 cell sport cats. Maximum backpressure: 0.14 Bar va stock exhaust: 0.35 Bar (2psi vs 5spi)

Aftermarket DPs, catted or catless, offer minimal gains on the S55 with the factory tune in place likely due to the ECU's strict torque targets. This means that the big advertised power gains from DPs are often reported in conjunction with a good aftermarket ECU tune which really clouds the overall picture of what, if anything, the DPs contribute to the total power output.

Now that the F8X S55 combo has been on the road for over six years I am hoping that someone has real data to back up why so many F8X owners rush to swap DPs when looking for power gains. I am searching for ways to make my S55 more efficient and aftermarket DPs would be a simple and inexpensive upgrade but I need to be convinced of their value.

All of my comments pertain to cars with stock turbos
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #2
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

How do the torque targets work?

Conventional turbo wisdom says the less restriction after the turbo the better. Backpressure is typically a non factor in turbo applications, since there is a turbo in the mix. (And actually not a positive in any exhaust system, as I understand it).
So whether or not the computer allows the car to make the torque without the tune, the aftermarket DPs may still be making substantial torque.

I think what you're after is flow bench data, which is probably available from the DP manufacturers who have actually engineered their own parts, rather than just copying someone else's design. Whether or not they'll give it to you is another story.

If you reeeally want to know, and can't get the data from the manufacturers, you could buy a bunch of different downpipes and rent a flow bench. I will contribute five dollars to your research budget 😎

Edit: I plan on doing catted aftermarket downpipes to improve spool. Hopefully the computer doesn't get in the way of that but, if it's limiting torque, I'd imagine boost control has a lot to do with that effort.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

I have a 6MT base package. In low RPM situations there was quite a power delay, and the stick shift lets you feel it a more than with a DCT.

When I upgraded from stock cats to ER Hi-Flows (200cpi) there was a much better feeling of power availability down in the low RPMs. I was still using stock exhaust to compare before/after. I get some fuel smell when idling, but the sport cats remove do the egg stink that open pipes have.
      01-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
I have a 6MT base package. In low RPM situations there was quite a power delay, and the stick shift lets you feel it a more than with a DCT.

When I upgraded from stock cats to ER Hi-Flows (200cpi) there was a much better feeling of power availability down in the low RPMs. I was still using stock exhaust to compare before/after. I get some fuel smell when idling, but the sport cats remove do the egg stink that open pipes have.
That's exactly what I'm looking for with downpipes. I have a 6MT also, and it definitely feels squishy at low RPM for a car that makes torque so early.

Do you have a tune or just the downpipes?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
Do you have a tune or just the downpipes?
Both, FBOs and tuned. E85 really increases torque as well.
      01-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #6
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Both, FBOs and tuned. E85 really increases torque as well.
Nice. I went from an S/C E36, to an M156 AMG, and now to the F80. And while this car is quick, it feels pretty spongy while the turbos are spooling. If I could get it to feel just a little more like an N/A powerplant, that'd be great.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 12:09 PM   #7
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

So since this car is based on torque targeting, its not as much about peak hp gains as it is putting the car in a position to be the most efficient as possible.

Decatting the car fully will always relieve backpressure on a modern turbo DI car like ours. I tested varying intake mods and decat gains by aggregating logs, dragy data and virtual dyno data.

So the v dyno, with calibrations that were DEAD on what the car dynoed on a SAE smoothing 5 dynojet, all of my plots after decat were higher. The peak difference was not constant but they never were lower, even with the same tune. But what is most interesting is wastegate duty and vanos data did change slightly. Wgdc dropped a couple percent on average at the same rpm in same gear, and cam timing didn't need to be as overlapped to produce the torque target requested.

So.. yes there are decent gains. Decat the car is probably 3x the gain that an aftermarket intake would give in terms of inefficiency imo.
Appreciate 2
TopJimmy5457.00
FTP2034.00
      01-13-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistm4 View Post
So since this car is based on torque targeting, its not as much about peak hp gains as it is putting the car in a position to be the most efficient as possible.

Decatting the car fully will always relieve backpressure on a modern turbo DI car like ours. I tested varying intake mods and decat gains by aggregating logs, dragy data and virtual dyno data.

So the v dyno, with calibrations that were DEAD on what the car dynoed on a SAE smoothing 5 dynojet, all of my plots after decat were higher. The peak difference was not constant but they never were lower, even with the same tune. But what is most interesting is wastegate duty and vanos data did change slightly. Wgdc dropped a couple percent on average at the same rpm in same gear, and cam timing didn't need to be as overlapped to produce the torque target requested.

So.. yes there are decent gains. Decat the car is probably 3x the gain that an aftermarket intake would give in terms of inefficiency imo.
Great info.
I'd love to see those plots, if you don't mind sharing.

Does the computer allow the torque to be produced earlier, as Top Jimmy's impressions suggest?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

To the point of Twistm4 this is why my first power mod was the ER Hi-Flow cats, followed by an AA Signature exhaust.

Since the M2-3-4 all have very good intake flow through the factory CAI style airboxes (do the charcoal delete) I thought it best to free flow the exhaust first. The full 3.5in cat-back Signature kit does have some added exhaust scavenge effect over using a single midpipe that still splits into a 2-can rear exhaust. If I had used full de-cat DPs with this exhaust it would be way too loud (but awesome at the strip!).
      01-14-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To the point of Twistm4 this is why my first power mod was the ER Hi-Flow cats, followed by an AA Signature exhaust.

Since the M2-3-4 all have very good intake flow through the factory CAI style airboxes (do the charcoal delete) I thought it best to free flow the exhaust first. The full 3.5in cat-back Signature kit does have some added exhaust scavenge effect over using a single midpipe that still splits into a 2-can rear exhaust. If I had used full de-cat DPs with this exhaust it would be way too loud (but awesome at the strip!).
So to clarify, by asking the same stupid question again, you installed high-flow-catted downpipes on an otherwise stock car, and it felt stronger at low RPM?
Or did you already have it tuned in some way when you put the downpipes on?

I'm on a mission to de-numb this car, one part at a time.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #11
chetrickerman
ECUTek Master Tuner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 YMB

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
This is the map the factory tune uses to compensate for post turbo back pressure in its airflow model. It is likely pretty accurate as the BMW engineers modeled everything associated with the engine airflow. Keep in mind, this is only accurate with OEM downpipes
Attached Images

01-14-2021, 05:17 PM   #12
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So to clarify, by asking the same stupid question again, you installed high-flow-catted downpipes on an otherwise stock car, and it felt stronger at low RPM?
Or did you already have it tuned in some way when you put the downpipes on?

I'm on a mission to de-numb this car, one part at a time.
Yes, sport cats with all other parts/tune stock feels a little better than just all stock.
      01-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, sport cats with all other parts/tune stock feels a little better than just all stock.
Cool. Thanks.
I will eventually do the tune, but for now I want rid of the mush. Thing feels like a 4cyl Camry coming off idle 😪
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
1000hp
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
This is the map the factory tune uses to compensate for post turbo back pressure in its airflow model. It is likely pretty accurate as the BMW engineers modeled everything associated with the engine airflow. Keep in mind, this is only accurate with OEM downpipes
How does it compensate?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
Twistm4
I Drag Race My Track Car
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
How does it compensate?
Lowers boost.
      01-28-2021, 05:00 PM   #16