Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-02-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
trfit
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I was hoping to get some tuning pro help...

I took my car to get a custom tune about 6 months ago, and I want the car back on a stock tune, do I have to take it back to them? Looking for my different options...

I'm considering going with MHD or BM3, I feel like the custom tune was low on the dyno and lacking power in certain areas. In retrospect don't think a $1,500 custom tune was worth it to say the least especially after seeing the dyno charts...

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #2
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Having seen a fairly wide spectrum of S55 cars tested at our local dyno shop, it's very evident that there is a huge variance in quality of tuning out there. I've seen some custom tunes perform worse than OTS maps from BM3, but on the flip side, a lot of custom tunes make strong gains over OTS maps.

What kind of power did your car put down stock and after the custom tune?

I had a custom Stage 1 tune done via EcuTek with stronger results than other cars with BM3 OTS and other custom tunes! Not quite apples to apples comparisons since they are different cars, different days, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #3
trfit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineF80 View Post
Having seen a fairly wide spectrum of S55 cars tested at our local dyno shop, it's very evident that there is a huge variance in quality of tuning out there. I've seen some custom tunes perform worse than OTS maps from BM3, but on the flip side, a lot of custom tunes make strong gains over OTS maps.

I had a custom Stage 1 tune done via EcuTek with stronger results than other cars with BM3 OTS and other custom tunes! Not quite apples to apples comparisons since they are different cars, different days, etc.
Here is the dyno chart.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
nadans108.00
      01-03-2021, 03:46 AM   #4
TacoJova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfit View Post
Quote:

Here is the dyno chart.
Since that's a Mustang dyno that's pretty good. Mine made 465 on a mustang and made 520 on a dynocom. Dynos can vary a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
dp310
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80/E92/E46

I believe that mustang dyno's numbers it shows about 10 to 12% lower than a dynojet...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
trfit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp310 View Post
I believe that mustang dyno's numbers it shows about 10 to 12% lower than a dynojet...
I thought with FBO and catless DPs it would be making more...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Contact Jordan and send him your dyno, he will let you know if he can extract more power with your mods

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #8
trfit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Contact Jordan and send him your dyno, he will let you know if he can extract more power with your mods
Can you tell me where to contact Mr. Jordan?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Can you tell me where to contact Mr. Jordan?
Email Support@jordan-tuned.com
Or PM CaryTheLabelGuy.
He is very helpful.
      01-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #10
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here is the dyno chart.
Thanks for sharing.
What's critical to focus on is not just the peak numbers, but the delta in power/torque between baseline and your tune file. Quickly looking at the shape in the curve of both your runs, whether with their "Dynojet correction" or not, there is definitely much to be gained. Looks like a safe conservative tune, but more can be extracted.

My tuner, PETuned based out of Illinois, gained an immense amount of area under the curve on my Stage 1 file. He used EcuTek. We logged everything to assure good safety margin. Hit exact target ignition, lambda, boost, torque/load request. Keep in mind this is still with stock catalytic converters.

I bought the car second hand, dyno'd it stock with the same gas from the dealer, then tuned on the dyno that same day.

I've since done downpipes, chargepipes, and E85. I will have them dyno my Stage 2 93oct hopefully soon.
Attached Images

01-17-2021, 09:26 PM   #11
trfit
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here is the dyno chart.
Thanks for sharing.
What's critical to focus on is not just the peak numbers, but the delta in power/torque between baseline and your tune file. Quickly looking at the shape in the curve of both your runs, whether with their "Dynojet correction" or not, there is definitely much to be gained. Looks like a safe conservative tune, but more can be extracted.

My tuner, PETuned based out of Illinois, gained an immense amount of area under the curve on my Stage 1 file. He used EcuTek. We logged everything to assure good safety margin. Hit exact target ignition, lambda, boost, torque/load request. Keep in mind this is still with stock catalytic converters.

I bought the car second hand, dyno'd it stock with the same gas from the dealer, then tuned on the dyno that same day.

I've since done downpipes, chargepipes, and E85. I will have them dyno my Stage 2 93oct hopefully soon.
This is hugely helpful. How do you like ECUtek? I know most people, on here at least, run bm3.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #12
AlpineF80
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the dyno chart.
Thanks for sharing.

This is hugely helpful. How do you like ECUtek? I know most people, on here at least, run bm3.
The EcuTek platform has been incredible thus far. Whether EcuTek, BM3, MHD, ABC, XYZ, they're all mainly avenues for your tuner to calibrate your car. What's most important is that you work with a tuner who will properly support you and help you achieve your goals.

I enjoy EcuTek because I find their data logging system to be far superior to the others on the market, this in turns helps my tuner more proficiently calibrate and helps me from a diagnostics/monitoring stand point.

EcuTek now has a beta version of rolling anti-lag, even more expansive flex fuel capability compared to prior versions, and more custom controls.

I plan to post up a little "tuning journal" here on the forum to share all of the data I've collected, various tunes I received, and eventual progression with the build.
PETuned has been really helpful with continually making revisions for my different interests (Stage 1, 2, 93, E30, E85, low torque, high torque, roll race, road course, etc).
      01-18-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
TacoJova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the dyno chart.
Thanks for sharing.

The EcuTek platform has been incredible thus far. Whether EcuTek, BM3, MHD, ABC, XYZ, they're all mainly avenues for your tuner to calibrate your car. What's most important is that you work with a tuner who will properly support you and help you achieve your goals.

I enjoy EcuTek because I find their data logging system to be far superior to the others on the market, this in turns helps my tuner more proficiently calibrate and helps me from a diagnostics/monitoring stand point.

EcuTek now has a beta version of rolling anti-lag, even more expansive flex fuel capability compared to prior versions, and more custom controls.

I plan to post up a little "tuning journal" here on the forum to share all of the data I've collected, various tunes I received, and eventual progression with the build.
PETuned has been really helpful with continually making revisions for my different interests (Stage 1, 2, 93, E30, E85, low torque, high torque, roll race, road course, etc).
Rolling anti lag is really cool. I've got it already and flex fuel is a game changer. EcuTek ftw
Appreciate 0