proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

The Best Lowering Springs for BMW F8X: Emmanuele Design (EMD) Review

If you're reading this, you must agree that the F80 M3 and F82 M4 have too much wheel gap in stock form. As soon as I bought my M3, I researched the best way to lower it. To save you from spending hours digging through forum posts and Facebook groups (like I did), I'll explain what I chose and why you should consider it too. I want to make it clear that I have no sponsorship or affiliation with any suspension companies.

I would like to hear from anyone who has installed lowering springs in their F80 M3 or F82 M4. Which springs did you install? What has your experience been? This will only continue to help the community in the future.

My goal: eliminate wheel gap and retain comfortable ride quality without spending thousands of dollars.

When researching the endless options available, I read horror stories about bouncy rides and blown shocks. That was exactly what I didn't want. I also saw M3's and M4's that didn't sit quite right, still too much wheel gap or a reverse-rake stance. Again, not what I was looking for.

And then I found Emmanuele Design lowering springs. I was skeptical at first because I never heard of this company. But as I continued my research, it seemed that everyone loved these springs. So, I bought them... and I'm so glad I did!

Emmanuele Design Lowering Springs
  • Ride quality remains the same or better than stock.
  • Compatible with both standard and adaptive suspension.
  • Engineered specifically for stock shocks to avoid premature failure.
  • Perfect stance, lowering the front 1.3" and the rear 0.3 - 0.9".
  • Linear spring rate, similar to stock springs.
  • Made in the USA.
  • Affordable at $300-350!
Buy for BMW M3: Emmanuele Design F80 lowering springs

Buy for BMW M4: Emmanuele Design F82 lowering springs

Review: Emmanuele Design Lowering Springs

EMD Auto (or eMMOTION) is popular among the Audi and Volkswagen crowd, but this is their first BMW product. Let me tell you, they knocked it out of the park! I highly recommend these springs after installing them myself and driving on them for many miles.

The installation is simple and anyone with mechanical knowledge should be able to install these at home. Follow my complete DIY lowering spring installation guide if you want to save yourself some money. Everything fit like OEM and went together smoothly.

After driving on these lowering springs, I can recommend them with confidence! The car drives as if it was still brand new, it rides great. Comfortable with a sporty feel. I have installed many different suspension kits and some ride better than others. My previous experience with lowering springs hasn't always been good, resulting in a bouncy or stiff ride. However, EMD gets 5 stars from me on these springs.

Spring Rate is Important!

I think their linear spring rate is the secret sauce. Unlike most aftermarket lowering springs that use a progressive spring rate, EMD springs use a linear rate just like the stock springs. Linear springs maintain the same spring rate along the entire length of the spring as it is compressed. Progressive springs, on the other hand, have a spring rate that is constantly changing as the spring compresses and decompresses.

Good news: Emmanuele Design specifically engineered these lowering springs to be used with the stock shocks and struts. That's right, they're a perfect match for the factory dampers!

Front spring rates:
  • Stock spring rate: 186 lb/in
  • EMD spring rate: 194 lb/in
Rear spring rates:
  • Stock spring rate: 608 lb/in
  • EMD spring rate: 645 lb/in
How much do they lower?

EMD advertises a front drop of 1.3" for both the M3 and M4. I saw a 1.45" drop in the front on my M3. Your results may vary.

The rear drop depends on whether you use the spacers or not. The M3 kit includes spacers and the M4 kit does not. EMD advertises a 0.3" drop with spacers on the M3. They advertise a 0.9" drop for the M4, which doesn't use the spacers. Since I wanted a more significant drop, I chose not to use the spacers on my M3 and saw a 0.75" drop. Your results may vary.

Other great lowering kits to consider...

I love my Emmanuele Design lowering springs, but there are a few other options out there that I'm confident recommending.

KW HAS (Height Adjustable Suspension) Kit

This is a great option if you want control over your ride height. It fits the BMW M3, M4 and M2, and allows you to re-use your factory shocks and struts. It maintains a linear spring rate and offers a comfortable, sporty ride. The KW HAS kit retrofits the stock dampers with adjustable spring perches, allowing you to raise or lower the car. I have heard nothing but good things about this kit, and it is an affordable alternative to coilovers.

M Performance Suspension Kit

Again, this kit allows you to adjust your ride height. It is very similar to the KW HAS kit above, but comes with a higher price tag. The M Performance HAS kit is for the true BMW purist. You'll be able to drop your M3 or M4 anywhere from 0.2" to 0.8" lower than stock. It boasts excellent ride quality and also re-uses the factory shocks and struts.

Avoid these suspension options...

That's right, these are the lowering options I would steer clear from. During my research, I found negative feedback on a few lowering kits.

H&R Super Sport springs

I initially considered these lowering springs because the drop was similar to EMD springs. But after reading comments about bouncy ride quality, that was the end for me. Not only that, but some enthusiasts reported pre-mature failure of their factory shocks and struts. I'd assume that the spring rate is not matched properly and that comes with a cost. Save yourself the heartache and don't look up the price of replacement dampers.

Let me know what you think 😎

Subscribe to my YouTube channel
Follow me on Instagram
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
      04-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

It's posts like these that the appreciate button was designed for. My last set of lowering springs were not good at all, so I am cautious to endorse these until I've ridden on them, but regardless, fantastic effort putting this together, and thank you for your contribution.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
ChiCityN20
Private
Rep
Drives: None ATM

This is a quality post!

I want my car to be lowered! I just don’t want the drive to ever feel worse. Never lowered a car before and this is my first “drivers” car. Worried about it. But thanks! I will definitely check these out.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
It's posts like these that the appreciate button was designed for. My last set of lowering springs were not good at all, so I am cautious to endorse these until I've ridden on them, but regardless, fantastic effort putting this together, and thank you for your contribution.
Thanks for the kind words! I referenced a few of your posts and threads about the various suspension kits you've used. Seems like you have a good understand and feel of suspension and how they affect the ride and performance. Would love to meet up if you ever find yourself in Wisconsin, I'd be happy to give you a ride/let you drive my M3 with these springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityN20 View Post
This is a quality post!

I want my car to be lowered! I just don’t want the drive to ever feel worse. Never lowered a car before and this is my first “drivers” car. Worried about it. But thanks! I will definitely check these out.
I understand your concern. The only thing I'd be aware of when lowering these cars is potentially scraping the front bumper. I saw a 1.45" drop in the front with these springs and depending on the driveways and speed bumps in your area, you might have to adjust your driving habits sometimes. Otherwise I love the way these springs ride, feels just like stock.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #5
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Nice write up, i enjoy your vids and have watched you build the 135, excited to see what you do with the F80.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2020, 12:43 AM   #6
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Very nice
      04-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy713 View Post
I've had these springs installed on my f80 for the past four months and the drop looks incredible but my ride quality is ruined.

The smallest road imperfection feels like a harsh pothole while an actual pothole/bump makes it feel as if my dashboard is going to crack.

It seems as if the springs have a very hard time working in sync with the dampers and I'm also hitting the bump stops often.

I'm looking to swap back to stock but if I've deteriorated my edc dampers I will prob switch to bilstein b16 coilovers.
Really? That surprises me because my experience has been the exact opposite so far.

How was your ride quality on stock springs? Then how was it on EMD springs when you first installed them?

To be fair, my ride quality has never been 'great' in this car with 19" wheels, even in stock form. The F80 rides stiff and transmits a lot of road feel through the car. That is normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice post, good info for those who are looking for a good setup! I'm fairly certain that MP HAS has greater that 0.8" lowering potential though, more like 1". I'm not at max drop and am fairly certain I dropped an inch; I've still got maybe 1/4" of thread left on the collar.
      04-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

These are the same as every other set of springs out there, they have no dynamic benefits whatsoever. If anything they will have a negative impact on handling. Because of reduced suspension travel you will spend the majority of the time riding on bump stops. The dampers will also also have less stroke meaning they can't control energy going into the suspension, reducing grip and creating a choppy ride. Why people think they can improve a $70k car with a set of $300 springs is a mystery. But that wheel gap bruhhhh
Appreciate 3
dpgfunk332.50
swagon13506.50
jetbill198.00
      04-08-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Daveneezy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Great post and it's super helpful that you went ahead and found the spring rates/drop height. I'm in a similar situation and want to slightly lower my zcp f80, the front wheel gap looks awful. I'm considering swift springs or Eibach based on reading a ton of reviews and how they are very close to stock zcp spring rates with a slight drop. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but here is what I have gathered so far:

Front/rear

Base f80
Spring rate: 178/560

Zcp F80
Spring rate:198/685

Macht Schnell
Spring rate: 265/710
Drop: 1.1/0.75

Eibach
Spring rate: 183/628
Drop: 0.8/0.5

Swift:
Spring rate: 265/715
Drop: 1/0.4

Great master thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1143161
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Good post

I subb'ed
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
These are the same as every other set of springs out there, they have no dynamic benefits whatsoever. If anything they will have a negative impact on handling. Because of reduced suspension travel you will spend the majority of the time riding on bump stops. The dampers will also also have less stroke meaning they can't control energy going into the suspension, reducing grip and creating a choppy ride. Why people think they can improve a $70k car with a set of $300 springs is a mystery. But that wheel gap bruhhhh
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #13
Modified_f80
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 going G80 2016 Dodge scat

Hey suspenseful,

I also was in the same situation as you were contemplating on what to lower my car with. I drove a few different suspension set up from the swift springs, H&R(horrible) kw has and some coilovers. Did not have a chance to ride on the M Performance HAS kit.

I went ahead and installed these springs and really loved the way they feel and ride. at least for now.

These springs really feel like stock ride. all other springs felt stiff.
I wanted a set that would get rid of that gap and at the same time ride as if it was stock.

thanks for the great write up and review.
cross fingers

well find out how they handle whe or if the track opens.
2014 Audi S4
2004 Built Subaru WRX with GT35r rotated manifold 50/50 Meth
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2020, 03:30 PM   #14
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
Nice post, good info for those who are looking for a good setup! I'm fairly certain that MP HAS has greater that 0.8" lowering potential though, more like 1". I'm not at max drop and am fairly certain I dropped an inch; I've still got maybe 1/4" of thread left on the collar.
Good to know! I just went off of the description I found for them, but I wouldn't doubt that they go slightly lower than that. Maybe they shared the drop on a Competition Package car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
With that logic, the M Performance height adjustable kit is also junk? Because it re-uses the factory dampers with shorter springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveneezy View Post
Great post and it's super helpful that you went ahead and found the spring rates/drop height. I'm in a similar situation and want to slightly lower my zcp f80, the front wheel gap looks awful. I'm considering swift springs or Eibach based on reading a ton of reviews and how they are very close to stock zcp spring rates with a slight drop. I have not pulled the trigger yet, but here is what I have gathered so far:

Front/rear

Base f80
Spring rate: 178/560

Zcp F80
Spring rate:198/685

Macht Schnell
Spring rate: 265/710
Drop: 1.1/0.75

Eibach
Spring rate: 183/628
Drop: 0.8/0.5

Swift:
Spring rate: 265/715
Drop: 1/0.4

Great master thread:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1143161
Good info here, thanks for sharing! Like you said, it comes down to two thing... how much drop and the spring rate. Sounds like you'll make a educated purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Good post

I subb'ed
Thanks! Welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modified_f80 View Post
Hey suspenseful,

I also was in the same situation as you were contemplating on what to lower my car with. I drove a few different suspension set up from the swift springs, H&R(horrible) kw has and some coilovers. Did not have a chance to ride on the M Performance HAS kit.

I went ahead and installed these springs and really loved the way they feel and ride. at least for now.

These springs really feel like stock ride. all other springs felt stiff.
I wanted a set that would get rid of that gap and at the same time ride as if it was stock.

thanks for the great write up and review.
cross fingers

well find out how they handle whe or if the track opens.
Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're loving them as much as I did after installing them. I would love to hear your thoughts on them at the track, please check back in
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #15
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post
Good to know! I just went off of the description I found for them, but I wouldn't doubt that they go slightly lower than that. Maybe they shared the drop on a Competition Package car.

With that logic, the M Performance height adjustable kit is also junk? Because it re-uses the factory dampers with shorter springs.

Good info here, thanks for sharing! Like you said, it comes down to two thing... how much drop and the spring rate. Sounds like you'll make a educated purchase.

Thanks! Welcome aboard

Awesome! I'm glad to hear you're loving them as much as I did after installing them. I would love to hear your thoughts on them at the track, please check back in
Try re-reading my post to comprehend what I'm saying. These springs reduce suspension travel, same as any set which isn't factory height. The MP-HAS allows you to set ride height, corner balance, without reducing the travel to anywhere near the same extent due to revised bump stops and mounts. If your buying MP-HAS may as well spend a little more and get an entry level coil over kit, but it does allow you to lower the car without compromising the damping. Springs alone are trash in any scenario unless they are properly matched to dampers designed for lowering springs, such as Bilstein B8.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
Izzmeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Glad to have found this post. I have an EDC F82 and also love the factory springs but hate the wheel gap. So I installed a set of Swifts, I love the look....hate the ride. Great track springs but daily driving makes the car feel like a go kart. They are very stiff and don't take bumps very well due to their being less suspension travel and those unforgiving spring rates. I was looking at Emanuel Designs as well but am almost 100% on the Eibach V2 US Spec springs. I have had progressive rate Eibachs before and trust them. Don't want to get rid if EDC and a HAS Kit is a waste of money for me, I would set it and forget it. My opinion, don't go with Swifts - they will really take the joy out of daily driving the car.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2021, 07:02 PM   #17
Gertsee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzmeister View Post
Glad to have found this post. I have an EDC F82 and also love the factory springs but hate the wheel gap. So I installed a set of Swifts, I love the look....hate the ride. Great track springs but daily driving makes the car feel like a go kart. They are very stiff and don't take bumps very well due to their being less suspension travel and those unforgiving spring rates. I was looking at Emanuel Designs as well but am almost 100% on the Eibach V2 US Spec springs. I have had progressive rate Eibachs before and trust them. Don't want to get rid if EDC and a HAS Kit is a waste of money for me, I would set it and forget it. My opinion, don't go with Swifts - they will really take the joy out of daily driving the car.
Which route did you end up taking?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #18
VirtuM4CS
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

MSS suspension sokutions

Hi
Does anyone heard something about this UK company?
Looks a good adjustable solution made in cooperation with Eibach
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:23 AM   #19
Izzmeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertsee View Post
Which route did you end up taking?
Sorry for the late reply, I went with Eibach US spec. Ride is much better than swifts but still not great. Still a little bouncy taking turn under load. Feels a bit unstable at high speeds(Above 140). Nothing beats OEM, truthfully. A friend has OEM in his M4, I forget what that rides and handles like - it’s amazing. Also not happy with the drop, even after settling it’s still not enough. Maybe going to try EMD springs and report back if I do it. The drop looks really good and reviews are solid. Linear springs vs. progressive rate.
Thanks
Appreciate 2
      11-03-2021, 03:51 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #21
Izzmeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thumbs up

Ordered EMD Springs today, will be putting them on sometime later this month or early next month. Doing front and rear pads, brake bleed, new caliper decals and springs altogether. Eibach US spec just doesn't lower enough for me. I will be selling the Eibachs once the EMD Springs have settled and I drive them around for a while. Just to make sure I like them, in either case one of the spring sets will be for sale before the year is up I want to say - if I don't like the EMDs. Keeping everyone posted here. I'm trying to rekindle the relationship lol
Appreciate 2
      11-09-2021, 01:48 PM   #22
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

I find it very funny that people have access to data out there showing over the past 20 years that these companies out here when they're designing aftermarket springs they're doing the minimum amount of research needed to get there Springs on the market… they're not taking into account the vehicle dynamics all they're looking for is people who all care about is aesthetics but yet people buy them and then complain they make their car bounce around 🤔. Am I missing something here???
Appreciate 0