BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Brake pedal feel

I currently have ferodo ds1.11 on fronts and Ds2500s on rears on genuine discs. And previously when on stock brake fluid and stock brake lines, the pedal feel felt very twitchy in that the slightest travel of the brake pedal causes the brake bite. I have now changed to goodridge brake lines and using Motul 5.1 and now noticed the brake pedal feels more progressive in that you need to depress more of the pedal to get the brake bite. The brake bite feels good as always though. I thought maybe there was air in the brakes so I did three brake bleeds using a motiv power bleeder and the brake pedal feel still feels progressive. Has anyone had similar experience to this?

Any help and insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

I find that while I do the motiv brake bleed -- while the bleed valve is open I have to pump the brake pedal very slightly until it becomes hard, then run over and close the valve otherwise it's kind of mushy for me. Additionally -- different brake pads have very different feel to them, that might be what you're feeling. The OEM pads are very grabby and feel hard, while say the Pagid RSLs feel more less grabby and more squishy or "progressive" as you put it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

I was never able to get good bleed out of the powerbleeders. Much prefer the old school pedal pumping method, although my wife and kids hate it.