Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #1
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Alignment Question

I called a local AAA shop near me to get an alignment quote. He asked if I had lane adapt I think he called it. Assuming he meant the function where it tells you if you've crossed out of your lane.

He said he can't align the car because that system needs to be recalibrated once the alignment is done.

Anyone know what he's talking about?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #2
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think he's talking about cars with lane keeping assist where the steering is actually affected by lane drift. Ours isn't that and the alignment has no effect on the system since the driver is always in control.

I'd still take it to someone else because he obviously isn't familiar with modern BMWs
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
I think he's talking about cars with lane keeping assist where the steering is actually affected by lane drift. Ours isn't that and the alignment has no effect on the system since the driver is always in control.

I'd still take it to someone else because he obviously isn't familiar with modern BMWs
Thank you very much. I assumed that's what he was talking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post

I called back to the same shop, spoke to a different guy and he said the same thing. Flat out refused to schedule me. Said something about adaptive cruise and lane departure. Also said something about needing to weigh the car down during the alignment. Dunno wtf he's talking about. Have an appt. setup with another Indy shop in town who knows what he's doing.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #5
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Bad shop. I had a tire place deny to do any work on my wheels bc they are aftermarket..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
ellipsis212
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Some of these grease monkey shops are on a short fuse. Car tech is cray nowadays.

We just brought home a 2020 Volvo XC90 and it makes my F80 seem like an E46 in terms of its gadgetry. Can't imagine how many indys will ever be able to service it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
M4UFO
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Comp

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Watts View Post
I called back to the same shop, spoke to a different guy and he said the same thing. Flat out refused to schedule me. Said something about adaptive cruise and lane departure. Also said something about needing to weigh the car down during the alignment. Dunno wtf he's talking about. Have an appt. setup with another Indy shop in town who knows what he's doing.
The AAA People are right, I took my 2019 M4 comp last year to a shop were all my other non bmws cars to get an wheel alignment was told the same as you due to the lane assist system on the car which need to be reset once the alignment done. BMW only has the software for that, I confirmed this with them. I then spoken to AC Schnitzer and they confirmed this as well but they said they have the software as well so can do the reset after the alignment. I'd be careful taking it to someone who has not got this software.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
hC1001
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, F80 M3

You can perform an alignment on the F80/82 like any other ordinary car. I do my own alignments with strings, camber gauge, and toe plates. It is true that BMWs specify weights in the car and a full gas tank to simulate real word conditions https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ent/1VnXsie3W9, that info is usually loaded into the alignment machine. I also have BMW diagnostic and coding software in case i do need to calibrate something but really you dont need it unless the shop is so bad they cant find the center of the steering rack. There is also no follow up work after a wheel alignment in the BMW service manual. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ent/1VnXs859Gw I strongly suspect its because they spec the steering angle and as long as its in spec, you shouldnt have any problems.

FWIW, id rather have a shop tell me they cant/wont work on the car instead of them trying to and messing something up. Some shops will even warn you that they dont have any idea how to work on your car but will take your money and see if they can...

Maybe you can ask the regional forum for recommendations on alignment shops but really any shop with an alignment rack can do it. What makes a good alignment is the technician. A bad one will only align until it shows green on the screen but it can be -1.3 left and -1.6 right. A good one is a technician that takes his time to get both sides even...

Last edited by hC1001; 08-07-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 2
9M711233.50
      08-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
A bad one will only align until it shows green on the screen but it can be -1.3 left and -1.6 right. A good one is a technician that takes his time to get both sides even...
this drives me crazy. all green, done. Recently I have started to state that if front camber is one side -1.30 and other side -1.50 i will not pay any money.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
B Watts
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hC1001 View Post
You can perform an alignment on the F80/82 like any other ordinary car. I do my own alignments with strings, camber gauge, and toe plates. It is true that BMWs specify weights in the car and a full gas tank to simulate real word conditions https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ent/1VnXsie3W9, that info is usually loaded into the alignment machine. I also have BMW diagnostic and coding software in case i do need to calibrate something but really you dont need it unless the shop is so bad they cant find the center of the steering rack. There is also no follow up work after a wheel alignment in the BMW service manual. https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ent/1VnXs859Gw I strongly suspect its because they spec the steering angle and as long as its in spec, you shouldnt have any problems.

FWIW, id rather have a shop tell me they cant/wont work on the car instead of them trying to and messing something up. Some shops will even warn you that they dont have any idea how to work on your car but will take your money and see if they can...

Maybe you can ask the regional forum for recommendations on alignment shops but really any shop with an alignment rack can do it. What makes a good alignment is the technician. A bad one will only align until it shows green on the screen but it can be -1.3 left and -1.6 right. A good one is a technician that takes his time to get both sides even...
Thank you so much for this information. I thought the tech was crazy but it now makes sense. I am taking it to a shop that works on Subarus, older BMWs, and Porsche's so I feel ok going there even though this is my first time.
Appreciate 0