European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

08-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
MetalsMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray M3

Reverting Back to EDC?

I originally went with a KW HAS setup to lower the front end a little and retain EDC as the F80 seemed to sit so high in the front and I wanted a more aggressive look. I was never happy with the KW setup and my race wheels rubbed the springs.
Invested in a set of JRZ RS Twos last year and have them paired with TC Kline plates. Tires don't rub and all is good at the track which I frequent several times a year.
Daily driving though suffers as the suspension is relatively bouncy in softer settings. My local shop guys "wonder why anyone would remove EDC after BMW put so much time in developing such a great damper setup"
I have to tear my front's down every few months to clean them as the Macpherson styled setup relies on the components to rotate when the wheels turn. Doesn't take to long for some grit/dirt/grime to get in between the coilover components and start making noises as they bind rotating on one another. I installed some thrust bearings on the bottom perch which worked will....for a couple of months.
I parked it for the weekend when Friday when it sounded like popcorn popping underhood.
I just ordered some neoprene bags that wrap around each setup to keep dirt out. Plan on installing those this week after a cleaning.

I wonder if it would be just simpler and less of a hassle to remove these and go back to the stock edc setup with some lowering springs.

Anyone find themselves in the same boat?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:05 AM   #2
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

My local shop guys "wonder why anyone would remove EDC after BMW put so much time in developing such a great damper setup"

didnt read the rest
Appreciate 0