BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-25-2016, 08:27 PM   #67
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Just called in to get an update, they are waiting for parts, but my SA was out today so I don't know what parts.

I'm assuming replacing pad/rotors, but not positive, however they are replacing something
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #68
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 ///M3 AW/SO/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Just called in to get an update, they are waiting for parts, but my SA was out today so I don't know what parts.

I'm assuming replacing pad/rotors, but not positive, however they are replacing something
When i go in for my next service i will file a complaint with my SA. Hopefully they will take care of me too.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 02:06 AM   #69
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

this is so weird, i have 15k on the odometer and i have no issues with my brakes.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #70
RIP1981
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80, Porsche Cayman S

Hi all,

I had this problem in two different current M Models.

1. The demonstration car I had for a weekend (M4). There it was quite noticably everytime you brake from higher speeds on the highway (Autobahn). It was a quite aggressive vibration.
But then I guess this car was not treated well as a demonstration car by previous drivers.

They told me it is some issue with the winter tyres.

2. My own F80 (2016). I was very careful during break in period. I don't experience this in daily driving really. Just a slight bit breaking hard from high speed. But much less than in the demonstration car.

BUT last week I went to the Nürburgring and gave it the stick. After 2 laps I noticed it quite loud in the third lap.
As I drove about 9 Minutes BTG I guess the brakes got quite hot. After cooling down it was gone.

So it seems to be an issue with the braking pads getting hot I guess.

RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #71
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP1981
Hi all,

I had this problem in two different current M Models.

1. The demonstration car I had for a weekend (M4). There it was quite noticably everytime you brake from higher speeds on the highway (Autobahn). It was a quite aggressive vibration.
But then I guess this car was not treated well as a demonstration car by previous drivers.

They told me it is some issue with the winter tyres.

2. My own F80 (2016). I was very careful during break in period. I don't experience this in daily driving really. Just a slight bit breaking hard from high speed. But much less than in the demonstration car.

BUT last week I went to the Nürburgring and gave it the stick. After 2 laps I noticed it quite loud in the third lap.
As I drove about 9 Minutes BTG I guess the brakes got quite hot. After cooling down it was gone.

So it seems to be an issue with the braking pads getting hot I guess.

RIP
Mine does it all the time with normal street driving, anytime the brakes get a little heat in them.

Has since almost new.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #72
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update:

They are replacing all 4 pad/rotors.

No reason of why it's happening though.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #73
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Welp, looks like I'm joining the club as well

Here is what my F80 M3 is doing with 7k miles on the odometer:

1. When driving above 50mph, and then breaking (regular pressure on brakes, not soft, not hard), I get this grinding noise and slight vibration feel on the steering wheel and on my brake pedal. The grinding noise comes on for about 1 sec, goes away for .5 secs, and again for another sec... and it happens when decelerating between 45-30mph.

2. I figured it had to be a pad issue, perhaps it didn't bed right, or got out of wack somehow, so I went to the streets and did some hardcore bedding on it for about 20-30mins (80-90mph, full stop, repeat...hard stopping, changing between full extension in pedals to engage ABS and just hard pressure in order to avoid ABS)...... it definitely helped, as the noise seemed to subside for the most part.

But Alas, it was not so, as a day later, the noise and grinding was back

I was about to take it to dealer, but then I saw this thread and now I'm not sure what the SA can do

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #74
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

So do ALL cars do it then?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #75
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

have any of you with this problem, who swapped pads to aftermarket pads, see this problem go away?

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #76
phantome46
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Convertible - Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
have any of you with this problem, who swapped pads to aftermarket pads, see this problem go away?
I'd really like to know the answer to this as if this is the fix then I will bill BMW for the pads as even after 3 times in the dealer they advised that there is nothing wrong and I think mine is getting louder as time goes on.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #77
pbar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 992 GTS, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Each time I took the car to the track I had significant judder set in a few days after. Each time it went away a few weeks later - but there was always the worry that the rotors were damaged, and the judder was so bad that hard braking on the freeway felt dangerous.

I think that this is basically the same problem people here are having - the pad compound is fine when the brakes are well bedded, or the rotors are clean, but the in-between state is horrible.

I've asked the dealer about this multiple times. Initially they told me the judder was due to having 'aftermarket suspension parts', and 'tires which had been driven aggressively' ... and the next time they quoted me from a very patronising SIB about 'Diagnosing M performance brakes issues' which states that judder is "completely normal and due to rust on the rotors. BMW advises not to replace rotors unless they are cracked or below min thickness."

I tried using an Endless MX72 - they were great on the track, but as soon as I got back to freeway driving the transfer layer wore off and they squealed really badly. (many other people don't apparently have any problems)

At my wife's 'suggestion', I changed the pads for another Endless pad with a less aggressive compound (don't know which). They have slightly more bite than OEM, but I had exactly the same problem after track use. 3 weeks of judder. They were fine for 'aggressive street' use- and less dusty than stock, and actually held up well on the track, but by the time I'd driven home the judder was back.

So... I've bitten the bullet and gone for Pagid RS29 and I'll take the hit of swapping the pads each time for track use. I'll leave in OEM pads for street use since I get so much nonsense from my dealership whenever they see any after-market part.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 01:49 PM   #78
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Got my car back, feels much better so far.

Have to break in the new pads and rotors , so I can't truly test it out yet, but let's see what happens in the 1000 miles.

Feels solid for now though.

BTW, they only replaced the front pad/rotors.

The only explanation listed on the invoice for cause of vibration was "warped rotors possibly caused by excessive braking".

Which is of course BS, since the last time I took it in for this another dealer measured the rotors and they were true at that point AND my car has never seen the track.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #79
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I take that back.

Been driving all day to break then in and just tried a couple quicker stops and the vibration is still there.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #80
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

This issue is just ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #81
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The only thing that makes sense is pad material.
09' C6 Z06
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #82
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Why cant BMW redo the pads. Im pretty sure they had this issue with some of their test vehicles. It seems like they didn't want to bother and just rush out these cars asap
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 07:44 PM   #83
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I take that back.

Been driving all day to break then in and just tried a couple quicker stops and the vibration is still there.
Un-f'ing-believable

BMW better address this sh!t or it will be my last bimmer after 20 years

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #84
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

looks like a few more people seeing the same issue in this thread:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=judder

and BMW is silent??

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #85
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
looks like a few more people seeing the same issue in this thread:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=judder

and BMW is silent??
Ya its the same problem. Its irritating me that bmw wont provide new pads with all the billions of dollars they make. smh
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 12:58 AM   #86
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Add me to the club.

2016 F82. just under 10k miles. I had no issues until just after the first track day. Brakes worked as expected for two 25 minute sessions. The next day I notice the groaning (not grinding) noise and vibration in the pedal. No vibration in the steering wheel as of yet.

Was in to the dealer for oil change and had them look at the brakes. The paperwork says indications of aggressive/track type driving. The SA said the tech believed that the noise was from all the built up melted rubber after track day.

SA seemed willing to continue troubleshooting this, but i wonder if he was just blowing smoke? I told him the tire diagnosis didn't make any sense to me.

Not sure if the tech just measures brake pads and rotors and like a robot and calls them good, or if this is a known issue to them and they are just following instructions to dismiss this as long as possible.

Advise from my buddy that has lived and breathed cars since he was an infant was to wet sand the rotors with 400 grit and to scuff up the pads. That might be the best option, then just switch out to track pads for the occasional track day.

Glad to know about this issues so i'm not banging my head against the wall trying to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 10:38 AM   #87
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

I forgot to update this thread, so here it is:

**UPDATE 6/15/2016 **
  • I took the car back to the dealer specifically for this issue. Had the shop foreman/supervisor drive with me and showed him the judder/vibration and when it occurs. He acknowledged it, and the SA took note.
  • 2 days later they call me and tell me car is ready. When I get there, the answer I got was:
    Quote:
    "All rotors and pads are within spec, so there is nothing we can do. Also, I (my SA) have an M3 as well and it does the same thing. We even drove a couple of M3's in the lot and they showed the same thing. I'm sorry, nothing we can do"
    Obviously this is a bullsh!t reply and completely unacceptable for a $80k car that happens to be BMW's most iconic model.
  • I send BMW contacts at BMWNA a long, nasty email, and tell them what the dealer said, and express that this WILL be my last BMW until they fix this issue. This is absolutely LUDICIRIOUS that a 80k car has this issue and that dealers consider this "normal" somehow.
  • I got an email reply back from a top BMWNA quality rep, followed by a couple of phone calls. After expressing my disgust and disappointment, they are setting up a "meeting" at the dealer on July 7th, so that the regional service manager can come and take a look and see what is the issue, and what can be done

So there it is, I'm gonna see what happens on July 7th, and what other BS excuse they bring to the table. If they don't change the pad type, or do something about this, I will personally purchase some aftermarket pads, and I will completely scratch BMW from future purchases. Yes, i know, I love BMW and have driven nothing but BMW's for two decades, but all good things must come to and end I suppose, because there is no way in f'ing hell I'm gonna spend $70-$100k on a car that is supposed to be one of the best in the world, that has issues like this and the manufacturer gives f*ck all about it.

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:29 AM   #88
hdubf80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I forgot to update this thread, so here it is:

**UPDATE 6/15/2016 **
  • I took the car back to the dealer specifically for this issue. Had the shop foreman/supervisor drive with me and showed him the judder/vibration and when it occurs. He acknowledged it, and the SA took note.
  • 2 days later they call me and tell me car is ready. When I get there, the answer I got was:

Obviously this is a bullsh!t reply and completely unacceptable for a $80k car that happens to be BMW's most iconic model.
  • I send BMW contacts at BMWNA a long, nasty email, and tell them what the dealer said, and express that this WILL be my last BMW until they fix this issue. This is absolutely LUDICIRIOUS that a 80k car has this issue and that dealers consider this "normal" somehow.
  • I got an email reply back from a top BMWNA quality rep, followed by a couple of phone calls. After expressing my disgust and disappointment, they are setting up a "meeting" at the dealer on July 7th, so that the regional service manager can come and take a look and see what is the issue, and what can be done

So there it is, I'm gonna see what happens on July 7th, and what other BS excuse they bring to the table. If they don't change the pad type, or do something about this, I will personally purchase some aftermarket pads, and I will completely scratch BMW from future purchases. Yes, i know, I love BMW and have driven nothing but BMW's for two decades, but all good things must come to and end I suppose, because there is no way in f'ing hell I'm gonna spend $70-$100k on a car that is supposed to be one of the best in the world, that has issues like this and the manufacturer gives f*ck all about it.
Im glad you got a response from them. I might have to do what you did too and send a nasty complaint. I completely agree with you on the screw up and the fact that his car is too expensive to have this issue. Ive never heard any other company have this issue and for them to sweep it under the rug is disgusting. Keep us posted
Appreciate 0